PDA

View Full Version : Returning Jedi

Hibbyradge
08-03-2013, 10:47 PM
Given the confusion and controversy which abounds on the KT thread, I thought it might help if we compiled a handy ready reckoner of Hibs Judas's who have returned.

Just so we can be clear as to who we should never forgive.

I'll start with John Collins.

lapsedhibee
08-03-2013, 10:52 PM
Given the confusion and controversy which abounds on the KT thread, I thought it might help if we compiled a handy ready reckoner of Hibs Judas's who have returned.

Just so we can be clear as to who we should never forgive.

I'll start with John Collins.

If you're counting Collins, then you'd have to count John Blackley.

Hibbyradge
08-03-2013, 10:54 PM
Pat Stanton too.

VickMackie
08-03-2013, 11:06 PM
Judas' has got one '. I think.

stoneyburn hibs
08-03-2013, 11:07 PM
A Real Hibs fan would never forgive any player returning , fact .

Ringothedog
08-03-2013, 11:08 PM
Joe Baker

Peter Cormack

LeighLoyal
08-03-2013, 11:09 PM
Did Katie have an old hun EBT?

brianmc
08-03-2013, 11:11 PM
Cannae mind Collins coming back to play for us......

Andy74
08-03-2013, 11:13 PM
Weir, Kane, McGinlay, May, Mixu, Riordan. Most were okay second time.

The_Todd
08-03-2013, 11:14 PM
I see what we're getting at, but we all know it's the manner in which KT left and how he engineered the move which was above and beyond any other "Judas". I'm sorry, but for a Hibs captain to behave in such a manner was sickening.

That said, and this is as one of his biggest critics, I'd be delighted to take him back short-term.

Hibbyradge
08-03-2013, 11:42 PM
Cannae mind Collins coming back to play for us......

Can we accept them back as manager?

JohnStephens91
09-03-2013, 12:11 AM
Colin McNeil - Judas

http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/20130217/board-update_2262950_3079711

stu in nottingham
09-03-2013, 12:56 AM
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/46388000/jpg/_46388115_bobbyj.jpg

Nomeancity
09-03-2013, 12:58 AM
If you're counting Collins, then you'd have to count John Blackley.

A manager who brought together the best forward line I have seen at hibs - Durie and Cowan will never be a Judas. If you never seen these two together then you haven't lived.
(Maybe it wasn't blackley but don't spoil the dream)

fife hfc
09-03-2013, 01:38 AM
Just a quick question. If Thomson was to score the goal that won us the cup would you celebrate ? I dont give a **** about the past. We all make mistakes and if he comes in and improves us then I'll be very happy.

crieffhibee
09-03-2013, 02:41 AM
Just a quick question. If Thomson was to score the goal that won us the cup would you celebrate ? I dont give a **** about the past. We all make mistakes and if he comes in and improves us then I'll be very happy.

If hitler scored the goal to win us the cup id celebrate........ ALOT!!

Hibercelona
09-03-2013, 03:04 AM
If hitler scored the goal to win us the cup id celebrate........ ALOT!!

But would he allow Claros and Kujabi to pick up their winners medal?

To be honest, I probably wouldn't let Kujabi claim his. :greengrin

crieffhibee
09-03-2013, 03:15 AM
But would he allow Claros and Kujabi to pick up their winners medal?

To be honest, I probably wouldn't let Kujabi claim his. :greengrin

Fair point, and I agree with kujabi not recieving any medal, I would rather swap it for a bus fair so he can get tae.......

Hibrandenburg
09-03-2013, 03:28 AM
Pat Stanton too.

Don't know about a Judas but you're being a bit of a blasphemer by even suggesting that god can be compared to KT.

Ray_
09-03-2013, 06:36 AM
The one and only Colin Stein, I don't think he would have ever been welcomed back, hat-trick against us just a week after leaving and a couple of months or so later he gets the only goal to put us out the Scottish Cup, in our only game in the competition that season [1968/9]

Fast forward a few years, he scores to get the draw that Rangers need to wrestle the title away from Celtic, after their 9 in a row, when we had been runners up the two previous seasons. Nah, modern day Judas's somehow do not match if :greengrin And for the record, I'll be delighted when the KT signing is confirmed. Thanks to everybody who has kept us posted.

HiBremian
09-03-2013, 08:25 AM
Pedantic alert!

The constant return of that apostrophe, one of the worst Judases we know.

GoldenEagle
09-03-2013, 08:38 AM
Stanton, McLeod, Brown/Jones... Any Hibs cup winning captain who darkened another clubs doors should be buried under the new corner stands in an unmarked grave.

Hainan Hibs
09-03-2013, 08:51 AM
Ah, I love these threads. Cant accept another opinion so a smart arse thread has to be made.

bawheid
09-03-2013, 09:02 AM
Ah, I love these threads. Cant accept another opinion so a smart arse thread has to be made.

:agree:

Did any of these players feel physically sick while playing for Hibs?

It seems Thomson is back and he'll therefore get my support while he's here. I don't particularly like it though.

You can't compare Pat McGinlay's departure and subsequent return with Katie's!!

Captain Trips
09-03-2013, 09:08 AM

It seems Thomson is back and he'll therefore get my support while he's here. I don't particularly like it though.

These players came back and actually signed contracts of decent length and in Pat McGinlay I think we got the then Celtic top scorer which cannot happen often. KT thing I kind of feel its all a bit patronising.

KeithTheHibby
09-03-2013, 09:11 AM
Weir, Kane, McGinlay, May, Mixu, Riordan. Most were okay second time.

When did Paul Kane return to Hibs? Eddie May as well for that matter?

hibby rae
09-03-2013, 09:13 AM
Pat Stanton too.

Eddie Turnbull!

Keith_M
09-03-2013, 09:14 AM
Judas' has got one '. I think.

Neither are right, it's Judases.

Signed, A Pedantic Über Fan.

clerriehibs
09-03-2013, 09:22 AM
I see what we're getting at, but we all know it's the manner in which KT left and how he engineered the move which was above and beyond any other "Judas". I'm sorry, but for a Hibs captain to behave in such a manner was sickening.

That said, and this is as one of his biggest critics, I'd be delighted to take him back short-term.

I'd take him back any term. Why do you say only short-term? Surely if you'll take him back, you'll take him back?

Hibbyradge
09-03-2013, 09:25 AM

Folk were posting that players who left Hibs to go to the OF were all Judases.

I thought a sarcastic thread might make a point.

Sarcasm isn't against the board rules, but you already know this given your post on yhis one. :wink:

Hibbyradge
09-03-2013, 09:27 AM

The press comments were bad, I agree, but didn't he feel sick because of the way he was being treated by JC?

lyonhibs
09-03-2013, 09:28 AM

This may be a purely ecumenical matter, but is it not Judai, a la cacti??

bawheid
09-03-2013, 09:28 AM
The press comments were bad, I agree, but didn't he feel sick because of the way he was being treated by JC?

Yes, that's what he said.

jacomo
09-03-2013, 09:29 AM
If Thomson does return then fair enough, but I reserve the right to call him Katie still.

vercol36
09-03-2013, 09:29 AM
If KT was coming back demanding huge wages THEN he would be a Judas. But he's not. He's offering to play for free. I'm fairly sure that changes him from Judas into Doubting Thomas. For all you bible-nuts!

1two
09-03-2013, 09:32 AM
In this footballing day and age I'd take anyone (within reason) who would improve our team. Of course I'd celebrate a goal scored by them etc.

It doesn't mean I don't still think KT is a bit of a ****.

He might win me over again with performances and maybe some loyalty but for now he's a decent player playing for Hibs who's a bit of a ****.

clerriehibs
09-03-2013, 09:32 AM
If KT was coming back demanding huge wages THEN he would be a Judas. But he's not. He's offering to play for free. I'm fairly sure that changes him from Judas into Doubting Thomas. For all you bible-nuts!

Prodigal son, surely?

Hibbyradge
09-03-2013, 09:33 AM
Pedantic alert!

The constant return of that apostrophe, one of the worst Judases we know.

My head is hung in shame.

I was actually going to start the thread using the word Judai, but thought better of it. Then I thought when pluralising words which end in s, we had a choice between es and 's so opted for the latter.

If a kindly admin could amend the title, you'd save a lot of people considerable pain.

Hibbyradge
09-03-2013, 09:35 AM
Yes, that's what he said.

In which case, those words are not disrespectful to Hibs.

clerriehibs
09-03-2013, 09:36 AM

I was actually going to start the thread using the word Judai, but thought better of it. Then I thought when pluralising words which end in s, we had a choice between es and 's so opted for the latter.

If a kindly admin could amend the title, you'd save a lot of people considerable pain.

when can you use 's to pluralise a word ending in s?

shagpile
09-03-2013, 09:38 AM

Never mind the biblical references. The fact he doesn't have a club means he's more like Desperate Dan.

EuanH78
09-03-2013, 09:38 AM
Prodigal son, surely?

Agreed,prodigal son surely. Maybe Doddie can confirm :)

hibby rae
09-03-2013, 09:39 AM

He obviously doesn't know about the chicken dance! Wait till his mum finds out!

bawheid
In which case, those words are not disrespectful to Hibs.

No point in going over ground which has been gone over a million times on the Thomson mega thread. Those words were said by the Hibernian captain about the Hibernian manager in the full glare of the media.

That was disrespectful to Hibs, in my view.

marinello59

There was no kindly Admin around.
Went with the safest option.....:greengrin

jacomo
09-03-2013, 09:43 AM

Every so-called Hibs fan who's ever skipped a game only to skulk back when results improve is a Judas in my eyes.

Signed, an Ultra Über Fan.

:wink:

Hibbyradge
09-03-2013, 09:45 AM

After a name.

Mr Jones's hat.

Hibbyradge
09-03-2013, 09:46 AM
There was no kindly Admin around.
Went with the safest option.....:greengrin

:na na:

lapsedhibee
09-03-2013, 09:55 AM
After a name.

Mr Jones's hat.

That's not pluralising though - it's possessivising, with 5 esses.

lapsedhibee
09-03-2013, 09:57 AM

Shirley neither is right?

Keith_M
09-03-2013, 10:00 AM

Apparently only inside HibbyRadge's head :wink:

See what I did there, I gave an example of when it's OK to use an apostrophe.

One Day Soon
09-03-2013, 10:01 AM
No point in going over ground which has been gone over a million times on the Thomson mega thread. Those words were said by the Hibernian captain about the Hibernian manager in the full glare of the media.

That was disrespectful to Hibs, in my view.

Is this not all a lot more straightforward than we are making it?

He behaved like a disrespectful twat in what he said and allowed to be said on his behalf. That showed low regard for the club, his manager and the fans. Having said that he now has an opportunity to help himself and the club and in so doing to at least partially make amends. He is still potentially a class addition to our options and therefore not to be sniffed at, no matter how much we may feel we need to hold our noses in accepting him.

If the manager makes a footballing decision that he has something to contribute on the park then so be it.

In respect of his biblical context I think we potentially have more of a Saint Paul thing going on here. Whether he is on the motorway to Damascus, on his hands and knees crawling over glass, remains to be seen...

In terms of analogies I wouldn't have gone biblical though, I see him as more like the guy in the Magnificent Seven who rides out of town before the bandits arrive and then returns mid fight having had a change of heart only to be gunned down before he can make any useful contribution. Just saying.

SonOfDavidFrancey
09-03-2013, 10:01 AM
After a name.

Mr Jones's hat.

That is not pluralizing but turning into a possessive.
Judas' or Judas's hat. (1 Judas, 1 hat)
Judases (2 or more of them)
Therefore Judases' hats (2 Judases, 2 hats).
Can't be Judai. Cactus is a Latin word that therefore pluralizes like all Latin second declension nouns, but Judas is I assume Hebrew.

SonOfDavidFrancey
09-03-2013, 10:05 AM
Agreed,prodigal son surely. Maybe Doddie can confirm :)

And while we are on the subject a 'prodigal' son is not someone who comes back. Prodigal means wasteful. The prodigal son is so called because he took his share of the inheritance and blew it. Then, as it happened, he came home.
Unless KT has blown all the money he earned at his other clubs he is not prodigal.

lapsedhibee
09-03-2013, 10:08 AM
This may be a purely ecumenical matter, but is it not Judai, a la cacti??

No. Cactus doesn't end in -as. And even if it did, that would make your analogue Judi, not Judai.

Plural of words ending in -as is unstraightforward. Some like fracas can have a plural exactly the same as the singular. If that seems unduly wierd, be like Arthur Montford and use stramash instead. Ending in -sh, the plural would clearly be stramashes. Just like the plural of fish is fish.

One Day Soon
09-03-2013, 10:09 AM
Can't be Judai. Cactus is a Latin word that therefore pluralizes like all Latin second declension nouns, but Judas is I assume Hebrew.

I'm not having that. I feel you need one of brackets, dashes or commas before and after your 'I assume'.

Keith_M
09-03-2013, 10:10 AM

Actually, Judas is an anglicised form of the Greek version (Greek: Ιούδας) of the Hebrew name Yehudah (Hebrew: יְהוּדָה).

For a similar modern example, there's Yehudi Menuhin.

Which means you could have applied Greek rules of grammar but not Latin, as you so correctly pointed out.

Shalom!

Hibbyradge
09-03-2013, 10:12 AM

Of course. :doh:

I don't know how I got so confused. I've never had trouble with plurals' or apostrophe's before (see what i did there? :wink:)

(Honestly, I did know Judai wasn't right, it's not even a word.)

Edit: I just looked at the time of the post and the source of my confusion became clear!

One Day Soon
09-03-2013, 10:13 AM
No. Cactus doesn't end in -as. And even if it did, that would make your analogue Judi, not Judai.

Plural of words ending in -as is unstraightforward. Some like fracas can have a plural exactly the same as the singular. If that seems unduly wierd, be like Arthur Montford and use stramash instead. Ending in -sh, the plural would clearly be stramashes. Just like the plural of fish is fish.

Presumably Judas derives from Judah? In which case we could opt for Judeans or even, at a pinch, Judists or Judahists.

One Day Soon
09-03-2013, 10:16 AM
Actually, Judas is an anglicised form of the Greek version (Greek: Ιούδας) of the Hebrew name Yehudah (Hebrew: יְהוּדָה).

For a similar modern example, there's Yehudi Menuhin.

Which means you could have applied Greek rules of grammar but not Latin, as you so correctly pointed out.

Shalom!

Which also gives us Yehudahns as an option...

Number69
09-03-2013, 10:17 AM
Ihun Murray

Keith_M
09-03-2013, 10:17 AM
Which also gives us Yehudahns as an option...

I think we have a winner!!

Admins, please change the thread title to 'Returning Yehudahns'

lapsedhibee
09-03-2013, 10:37 AM
On a BBC good-use-of-apostrophes website (http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/learningenglish/grammar/learnit/learnitv57.shtml):

The possessive form is used in a prepositional phrase beginning with 'of':
'Maggie, a colleague of Mary's, came to the opening of the exhibition. Rufus came too.' 'Who's Rufus?' 'He's a friend of my husband's.'

I would say this is wrong. Absolutely no need for the final 's. You've already got the possessive in the of.

Personally detest the spoken superfluous 's more than the written grocer's apostrophe. Sound's far more worser, to my senses.

But enough of gramer. Off to Asda's for the weekly shop.

clerriehibs
09-03-2013, 11:12 AM
After a name.

Mr Jones's hat.

That's possessive - not pluralisation!

clerriehibs
09-03-2013, 11:18 AM
And while we are on the subject a 'prodigal' son is not someone who comes back. Prodigal means wasteful. The prodigal son is so called because he took his share of the inheritance and blew it. Then, as it happened, he came home.
Unless KT has blown all the money he earned at his other clubs he is not prodigal.

The prodigal son story was to demonstrate that material goods, money, was an irrelevance.

So whether he still has the money is irrelevant. Home is where the hibby is!

EuanH78
09-03-2013, 12:13 PM

I was aware that it meant wasteful, however (and not being a biblical scholar I await to be corrected) I always thought the thrust of the parable(?) was that the son was lost to the family and eventually returned home and was found - amongst familial celebration.

Not sure KT can expect the killing of a fattened calf in his honour mind you.

Hibbyradge
09-03-2013, 12:33 PM
That's possessive - not pluralisation!

Yes, I posted similar further in the thread.

Hibrandenburg
09-03-2013, 01:18 PM
Apparently only inside HibbyRadge's head :wink:

See what I did there, I gave an example of when it's OK to use an apostrophe.

Oh the shame, no question mark and you being an old GRAMMAR school boy as well.

neilmartinrocks
09-03-2013, 01:29 PM
Diddie Agathe was is and forever will be the original Judas. imho.
As long as he's not coming back #allisbarry.