PDA

View Full Version : Hibs vs Napoli

HIBERNIAN-0762
07-03-2013, 09:45 PM
Just watching probably the worst performance by an Italian team playing in the UK brings me to ask if any footage survives of that brilliant night in 1965, it was defo on TV as I watched the highlights when I got home.

Golden Bear
07-03-2013, 09:49 PM
Bobby Duncan's goal is etched in my memory forever.

HIBERNIAN-0762
07-03-2013, 09:50 PM

Unbelievable goal...what a rocket!

Alex Trager
07-03-2013, 10:01 PM
Are there any on here that went to the away leg?
What were the scores over the two legs?

Jonnyboy
07-03-2013, 10:03 PM

They beat us 4-1 in Naples but we rattled 5 past Dino Zoff in the second leg :thumbsup:

Golden Bear
07-03-2013, 10:03 PM

Lost the first leg 4-1 but won at ER by 5-0. Didn't go to the away leg though.

eastterrace
07-03-2013, 10:05 PM
great european night mind pat quinn scored just before half time then we took them down the slope second half, not sure what was best night tho
either napoligame or sporting lisbon game.:flag:

Jonnyboy
07-03-2013, 10:07 PM
Not quite the highlights but .............

http://www.hibs.net/content.php?87-On-Foreign-Fields-%284%29

:greengrin

c31
07-03-2013, 10:08 PM
1v4

5v0

Hibs: Wilson; Duncan, Davis, Stanton, Madsen, McGraw, Scott, Quinn, Stein, Cormack, Stevenson.

from http://www.scotsman.com/sport/classic-match-hibs-5-0-napoli-november-29-1967-1-1253845

HIBERNIAN-0762
07-03-2013, 10:09 PM
Aye right OK guys...:wink:

Does any footage survive? :aok:

Jonnyboy
07-03-2013, 10:11 PM

I'd be surprised and delighted if footage survives but fear it's unlikely

eastterrace
07-03-2013, 10:12 PM

the highlights were on scotsport sure it was bob crampsey who done the commentary:flag:

HIBERNIAN-0762
07-03-2013, 10:17 PM
the highlights were on scotsport sure it was bob crampsey who done the commentary:flag:

Your quite correct mate.

eastterrace
07-03-2013, 10:21 PM
Your quite correct mate.

funny how i can remember that , must be something that stuck in my brain, i was about 11 then.:greengrin:aok::flag:

Newcastlehibby
07-03-2013, 11:05 PM
I was 13 and still have the programme. That performance was utterly remarkable. Naples rested their centre forward because they were so confident of getting through. Italian teams were famous for not leaking goals and Naples were top of the Italian league at the time. Hibs were described as the 'green and white furies' I think. One of the finest performances I have ever seen by a Hibs team. Even better than 1.1.73.

poolman
08-03-2013, 08:37 AM
Just watching probably the worst performance by an Italian team playing in the UK brings me to ask if any footage survives of that brilliant night in 1965, it was defo on TV as I watched the highlights when I got home.

I have e-mailed STV at their footage sales dept. enquiring if they have anything on this game

I remember the game well, was 14 at the time :dizzy:

What a night :agree:

Bill Milne
08-03-2013, 08:41 AM
This was Dino Zoff's worst moment in football, according to the great man himself. He redeemed himself when Juventus beat us 4-2 at ER in 1974-75.

HiBremian
08-03-2013, 09:14 AM
Was there too. Immense game. Those were the days when you couldmchange ends at half time, so I was behind the goals for all 5 :-)

Pretty sure STV was there, but I have a funny feeling they destroyed the footage. Otherwise it would surely be online already, no?!

Golden Bear
08-03-2013, 09:43 AM
Was there too. Immense game. Those were the days when you couldmchange ends at half time, so I was behind the goals for all 5 :-)

Pretty sure STV was there, but I have a funny feeling they destroyed the footage. Otherwise it would surely be online already, no?!

:agree:

I was in the process of "changing ends" when Duncan scored that amazing goal.

Great days.

HIBERNIAN-0762
08-03-2013, 01:22 PM
I have e-mailed STV at their footage sales dept. enquiring if they have anything on this game

I remember the game well, was 14 at the time :dizzy:

What a night :agree:

:aok:

Alex Trager
08-03-2013, 01:23 PM
So did anyone go to Napoli to watch it? Pretty cool if so

Seveno
08-03-2013, 01:25 PM
One of my all time memories as a Hibby. I can remember Bob Shankly being confident after the first leg that we could still go through.

banarc7062
08-03-2013, 02:02 PM
Remember it as if it was yesterday. Was in the enclosure right behind him when he shot and saw the ball scream into the net. Oh for a few more nights like that. Remember Hibs -v- Barcelona when they chased the ref after he awarded us the penalty. Kinloch cool as ice. http://www.hibs.net/images/smilies/fahne8.gif

banarc7062
08-03-2013, 02:05 PM
Remember it as if it was yesterday. Was in the enclosure right behind him when he shot and saw the ball scream into the net. Oh for a few more nights like that. Remember Hibs -v- Barcelona when they chased the ref after he awarded us the penalty. Kinloch cool as ice.

ancient hibee
08-03-2013, 04:40 PM
Pat Quinn had a wonderful game against Napoli-they couldn't get to grips with him at all.

Framie
08-03-2013, 04:43 PM
So did anyone go to Napoli to watch it? Pretty cool if so

I worked with a guy at the pipecoaters a Scottish Italian anyway he said his old fella was involved with the catering at ER he travelled with the team to Italy as translator ,apparently he was also involved when Joe baker went to torino anyway after the 4 - 1 loss he said to the Italian press come to Easter road and play like that we will wipe the floor with you! Great story i think my mate may have exaggerated it a little like!

Golden Bear
08-03-2013, 04:48 PM
Pat Quinn had a wonderful game against Napoli-they couldn't get to grips with him at all.

:agree:

Come on without, come on within, you ain't seen nothing like the mighty Quinn.

Jonnyboy
08-03-2013, 05:09 PM
I was 13 and still have the programme. That performance was utterly remarkable. Naples rested their centre forward because they were so confident of getting through. Italian teams were famous for not leaking goals and Naples were top of the Italian league at the time. Hibs were described as the 'green and white furies' I think. One of the finest performances I have ever seen by a Hibs team. Even better than 1.1.73.

This was Dino Zoff's worst moment in football, according to the great man himself. He redeemed himself when Juventus beat us 4-2 at ER in 1974-75.

Pretty sure the forward they rested was Altafini and that he too got his revenge when we played Juve. I painfully recall Altafini running riot in Juve's 4-2 win at ER. Painful as I say but IMO Juve were the best visiting side I've ever seen at ER :agree:

Kato
08-03-2013, 05:19 PM
Naples were top of the Italian league at the time.

...and finished near the bottom. An old Italian geezer told a mate of mine, whilst on holiday, that the defeat by Hibs really unnerved that team and their season went to pot.

Wasn't allowed to go to that game myself but have vague memories of the TV highlights. My bro' and old man were very excited when they got in to watch them dragged me out my bed so I could watch.

blackpoolhibs
08-03-2013, 05:25 PM
Remember it as if it was yesterday. Was in the enclosure right behind him when he shot and saw the ball scream into the net. Oh for a few more nights like that. Remember Hibs -v- Barcelona when they chased the ref after he awarded us the penalty. Kinloch cool as ice.

And yet cant remember what you said 3 minutes ago. :wink:

lapsedhibee
08-03-2013, 05:28 PM
Attendance according to Scotsman (http://www.scotsman.com/sport/classic-match-hibs-5-0-napoli-november-29-1967-1-1253845) only 21,000. Reflecting, perhaps, the fact that we all took regular European footy for granted back then.

renato
08-03-2013, 05:40 PM
Pretty sure the forward they rested was Altafini and that he too got his revenge when we played Juve. I painfully recall Altafini running riot in Juve's 4-2 win at ER. Painful as I say but IMO Juve were the best visiting side I've ever seen at ER :agree:

Yep. My dad talks about this game all the time JB, he says Juve had 9 or 10 of the Italian national team in their 1st team at that point, they were that good. Best team he's ever seen at ER.

Miguel
08-03-2013, 06:11 PM

You're spot on on all points there mate. They were different class. Think that was part of the run when we lost a shed load of goals in three games. 12 I think.

oldbiker
08-03-2013, 06:31 PM
I remember getting a "lift Over" from my old man to get in to that one, I was 9 and the roars are still etched in my memory.

Great days:greengrin

Imagine trying to lift your laddies over the turnstile now?

WindyMiller
08-03-2013, 07:08 PM
Attendance according to Scotsman (http://www.scotsman.com/sport/classic-match-hibs-5-0-napoli-november-29-1967-1-1253845) only 21,000. Reflecting, perhaps, the fact that we all took regular European footy for granted back then.

Plus at 5 of us, from Merchie Boys U15's that got off training early, and climbed over the big gate (with the broken glass on top).

:na na:

:aok:

What a ****ing free-kick!

thebakerboy
08-03-2013, 07:08 PM
Woke up on the morning of the game and typical 17 year old still dozy at breakfast table said to my old man great result last night 5 1 . He says "what you talking about dopey the games no till tonight." Some dream but it came true and was in the old North Stand right behind Bobby Duncan's screamer. Was it 30 , 35 or 40 yards, it seems to grow every time I think about it. Possibly ranks along side the Barcelona game as best ever European nights.

DaveSo
08-03-2013, 07:34 PM

Any footage of the Juventus game ?
I can remember the highlights of that being on TV too.

lapsedhibee
08-03-2013, 07:36 PM
Any footage of the Juventus game ?
I can remember the highlights of that being on TV too.

Isn't that on one of the official Hibs' DVDs - "European Nights" or somesuch? Not sure if there's be a couple of clips from the Napoli game also.

Jonnyboy
08-03-2013, 08:35 PM
You're spot on on all points there mate. They were different class. Think that was part of the run when we lost a shed load of goals in three games. 12 I think.

Sad but true. Played Celtic either side of the home tie v Juve. Lost the first one 5-0 in the league at Parkhead then lost the League Cup Final 6-3 at Hampden.

Would be nice to face three successive games like that again - with better scorelines of course :greengrin

Alfred E Newman
08-03-2013, 08:52 PM
Enquired a few years ago about the footage. I think it was lost along with other recordings after s fire at STV.

Drummer
08-03-2013, 09:46 PM
I think the reason the attendance was low many Hibs fans didn't think we had a chance to come back. they missed one of the best come backs ever.

Jack Hackett
09-03-2013, 01:42 AM
I think the reason the attendance was low many Hibs fans didn't think we had a chance to come back. they missed one of the best come backs ever.

This :agree:

Was my first ever game at ER, taken by some mates from school. My most emotional memory of that night was the polis in the shed celebrating as much as the fans when the 3rd went in and we were in with a real shout. How could I have been anything other than a Hibby after a night like that?

poolman
11-03-2013, 03:39 PM
Boo-Hoo from STV

Thank you for recent enquiry. Unfortunately we do not hold any footage of this game in our archive. It may be worth trying either the BBC or ITV Sport.

Sorry we cannot be of more help.

Kind regards,

John McVie

Miguel
11-03-2013, 08:12 PM
Hi.
I don't the situation at the BBC, but one of my nephews used to work at STV and he was making his way through their archive while he was there. He made a video tape as he went along and there was tonnes of stuff on that, including pre-season friendliest. Be interesting to get a full list of what different broadcasters have.