PDA

View Full Version : SPL Player Of The Season

HibernianJK
07-03-2013, 12:52 PM
Getting near that time again. Who does everyone think deserves POTS?

Griffiths? Mckay? McGinn? Hooper?

Since90+2
07-03-2013, 12:55 PM

Griffiths has got to be a contender but I would imagine Wanyama will get it.

Future17
07-03-2013, 12:56 PM

There must be a realistic chance of it not being a Old Firm player this season. As well as the obvious asbsence of Sevco, other than Mulgrew and Wanyama, I can't think of any Celtc player who has performed consistently well this season.

Cocaine&Caviar
07-03-2013, 12:56 PM

Hooper no chance! I have a feeling the Weegie influence will make it go to Wanyama as much for his CL exploits, which should mean **** all.

Deffo should be Leigh, McKay, McGinn or Higdon. Not just for goal scoring, but influence on their team's fortunes.

No Dundee U players, no Jambos, and if any Celtic player then Matthews.

HibernianJK
07-03-2013, 01:01 PM
Completely forgot about Wanyama. No doubt he will get it. When was the last time a non old firm player got POTS?

EdinMike
07-03-2013, 01:04 PM
Won't lie, I haven't seen or bothered to read about Celtic games unless they were playing us. Has Wanyama actually been that great ?! I'm sure I would have heard if that was the case.

hibee92
07-03-2013, 01:08 PM
Completely forgot about Wanyama. No doubt he will get it. When was the last time a non old firm player got POTS?

SPL player of the year has always had an Old Firm winner since it began in 07/08.

The Scottish Football Writer's POTY award went to Craig Gordon in 2006 and the Player's Player of the year last went to Jim Bett of Aberdeen in 1990.

The Sea-gull
07-03-2013, 02:07 PM
This could be interesting as the preception is it will always be an OF player as the majority of players/media will support one or the other so go for the best player in their favourite team coupled with the fact that OF players tend to perform best, score most goals, win most trophies.

With the absence of the artists formley known as Glasgow Rangers, the "Rangers" vote among the players/media will be split elsewhere. There will be players and media types who just cannot bring themselves to vote for a Sellick player.

I still think there is far too much bias towards the old firm and even with only one of them around, it will still go to a Celtic player. Probs Wanyama or Hooper (even though I don't think the latter really deserves it). Can't think of any other player who has been particularly consistent for Celtic.

Looking at other teams, whoever scores the most goals from Griffiths, Higdon, McGinn and McKay should be in with a shout. Especially whoever's team finishes second.

I'll go for Wanyama to get at least the media award and probably the players' too.

Is Sparky still young enough to get young player of the year? If he is, he will get both the media and the players awards.

The Sea-gull
07-03-2013, 02:09 PM
There must be a realistic chance of it not being a Old Firm player this season. As well as the obvious asbsence of Sevco, other than Mulgrew and Wanyama, I can't think of any Celtc player who has performed consistently well this season.

Did he not win at least one of them last year. Think he has been decent this season but not good enough to warrant it two years on the bounce.

frazeHFC
07-03-2013, 02:29 PM
Looks like we will have a SPL top scorer that is not an Old Firm player for the first time in SPL history....and even then the highest Celtic player atm is 5th. Surely will be Griffiths, McGinn or Mackay.

BonnieFitbaTeam
07-03-2013, 04:13 PM
Looks like we will have a SPL top scorer that is not an Old Firm player for the first time in SPL history....and even then the highest Celtic player atm is 5th. Surely will be Griffiths, McGinn or Mackay.

If we ever needed an illustration of the OF bias in the media then here we have it. The hype surrounding Hooper is incredible; he's supposedly valued at £multi-millions and is touted for a move here, there and everywhere in the EPL. He plays in a team which creates more chances than any other and which is galloping off into the distance with the league title. Despite all of this he is fifth in the scoring charts of a league which in all relative terms is pretty pish.

Gimme a break :rolleyes:

Keith_M
07-03-2013, 04:19 PM
I really can't comment on the SPL level but my POTY vote at Hibs would be for Williams.

This is all very subjective and everyone is entitled to their own view but he's definitely been, for me, the most consistent high performer over the course of the season.

MWHIBBIES
07-03-2013, 04:20 PM
If we ever needed an illustration of the OF bias in the media then here we have it. The hype surrounding Hooper is incredible; he's supposedly valued at £multi-millions and is touted for a move here, there and everywhere in the EPL. He plays in a team which creates more chances than any other and which is galloping off into the distance with the league title. Despite all of this he is fifth in the scoring charts of a league which in all relative terms is pretty pish.

Gimme a break :rolleyes:He is average at best, same as Wanyama, Celtic fans overrate players big time. Remember that full-back Izzaquire who they said was world class :faf:

West hamBERNIAN
07-03-2013, 05:04 PM
Out of the four in the op it would have to be sparky, he's created probably half of his goals on his own making chances out of nothing. Definitely can't be hooper but top be that far ahead in the league they're more than likely to give it to wanayama

R'Albin
07-03-2013, 05:33 PM
So far I'd say Sparky deserves it but for our sake I hope he doesn't win it.

snooky
07-03-2013, 05:37 PM

Aye, very good point! :agree:

West hamBERNIAN
07-03-2013, 05:39 PM

I think he's going to get bigger offers than we can compete with anyhow, hopefully his love for the cabbage swings it.

R'Albin
07-03-2013, 05:42 PM
I think he's going to get bigger offers than we can compete with anyhow, hopefully his love for the cabbage swings it.

Yeah I'm sort of expecting the same. But I'm also hoping that his off-field antics have put some clubs off as well.

PeterboroHibee
07-03-2013, 07:12 PM
I dont think any Celtic player has really stood out. They are top of the league, but they spend an absolute fortune compared to the other SPL teams, and in that respect I havent been particularly impressed by them domestically this year.

There have been players in the other SPL clubs who have really stood out individually however (Griffiths, McKay, GMS etc), which realistically is what it should be assessed on. I think if we make the top 6, and get to the final of the cup (whilst its SPL POTY these things all seem to get considered), then Griffiths must be in with a real shout for it. The only way I can see him not being considered, and its the likely reason for his non-call up, is his image and reputation after recent events.

since90plustwo
07-03-2013, 07:35 PM
No cetic player, in my opinion, has stood out in the SPL. Hooper and wanyama possibly in the CL but that has nothing to do with it. Griffiths, Shinnie, Higdon, McKay are surely the front runners

Jones28
07-03-2013, 07:55 PM
Would love it to be Griffiths or Big Ben, I think Shinnie might be in with a shout? Probably go to Victor Wanyama though.

manx hibee
07-03-2013, 08:22 PM
Personally WAGAMA has been solid but noodle
bars are £10 the penny
Apart from that !
the knuckle draggers will vote hooper
But I'll vote for Leigh Leigh
HE'S ONE OF OUR OWWWWWWN
LEIGH GRIFFITHS
HE'S ONE OF OUR OWWWWWWN

GGTTH
FTY GIRFUY

manx hibee
07-03-2013, 08:23 PM
Wagamama

West hamBERNIAN
07-03-2013, 08:24 PM
I actually think samaras has been their best player in the champions league, strange player. I know what you mean too many but I can't see it. It makes perfect sense. But it's the spl way. Frank Sauzee was a shoe in for poty and never came close in the end.

LioNeilMessi
07-03-2013, 11:13 PM
He is average at best, same as Wanyama, Celtic fans overrate players big time. Remember that full-back Izzaquire who they said was world class :faf:

:agree: He was absolutely done by Doyle in December... Doyle!! :greengrin

Sounds a bit harsh. I do like doyle, but his form has been poor for a few months.

Jpdhfc
08-03-2013, 06:02 AM
Celtic players only need apply for this