PDA

View Full Version : Midfield without Deegan

The Sea-gull
05-03-2013, 11:04 AM
Though I am a fan of Deegan, I have to admit that the midfield has performed better without him in it. Has he been injured or just fallen out of favour?

Said a few weeks back that I felt that the signings of Cairney, Deegan, Taiwo, Robertson, Done and Craig (though not until the summer) along with the return to form of Wotherspoon (in patches) and the emergence of Claros has given us our strongest midfiled since the mid 2000s when we had Brown, Boozy, Thomson, Stewart, Zemmama, Shiels, Glass on our books.

My one criticism of Fenlon in this area is that he doesn't seem to believe in creative central midfielders. All our creativity has come from out wide through Wotherspoon and Cairney and now Done. All of whom seem a little inconsistent.

One or two posters on here were quite scathing and condesending towards people who didn't rate Deegan as highly as they did, saying Deegan will always be first name on Pat's team sheet. Apparently not anymore.

IWasThere2016
05-03-2013, 11:11 AM
We have looked better with Claros, Robbo and TT - no doubt IMHO.

Beefster
05-03-2013, 11:15 AM
Although some posters seem to take it personally, I think that Deegan slows us down. One of his first instincts when he's in possession of the ball seems to be to pass it back.

Thecat23
05-03-2013, 11:17 AM
Although some posters seem to take it personally, I think that Deegan slows us down. One of his first instincts when he's in possession of the ball is to pass it back.

Have to agree with this as well. He's not a bad player but he really slows things down for me and isn't as direct as the rest. He's good to have as a squad player IMO.

haagsehibby
05-03-2013, 11:22 AM
I'd have him in against the hammer throwers on Sunday though.

Shrekko
05-03-2013, 11:32 AM
Although some posters seem to take it personally, I think that Deegan slows us down. One of his first instincts when he's in possession of the ball seems to be to pass it back.

Is it not just one poster who thinks he's head and shoulders above the rest of our midfielders?

Agree with what most folk seem to think- he's ok as a player but in a midfield that already includes similar but better players such as Claros he's not a good fit.

I don't mind players taking their time on the ball if they're lining up an incisive pass but he just twists and turns and either loses it or plays a square ball more often than not. Also think it's incorrect to say he's a good tackler just because he flies in!

The evidence is quite obvious that the midfield is better without him.

Judas Iscariot
05-03-2013, 11:36 AM

Yes, this

Elephant Stone
05-03-2013, 11:36 AM

Claros slows us down as well. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, up until now we'd completely by-passed the midfield, now we can hold on to possession and do things with the ball.

Paisley Hibby
05-03-2013, 11:39 AM
We have looked better with Claros, Robbo and TT - no doubt IMHO.

:agree:

DAVE1875
05-03-2013, 11:44 AM

And what happened the one time he didn't pass it back? :greengrin

hibee_girl
05-03-2013, 11:45 AM

Have to agree :agree:

JMac
05-03-2013, 11:51 AM
I like Deegan a Lot because he gives us a real fighter which could be useful against the yams, however Claros is better but will be leaving in the summer so Deegan will be more involved next season

Heisenberg
05-03-2013, 11:57 AM
I like Deegan a Lot because he gives us a real fighter which could be useful against the yams, however Claros is better but will be leaving in the summer so Deegan will be more involved next season

Is Deegan not leaving in the summer too? Thought he only got a year.

Thecat23
05-03-2013, 11:58 AM

Don't be so sure. :wink:

jeffers
05-03-2013, 12:44 PM

Please tell me you have information that he is staying beyond this season ?

allmodcons
05-03-2013, 12:48 PM

Yes, this

Who you going to drop if he's playing? Why do have to play a hammer thrower versus the 'hammer throwers'?
Midfield middle 3 of Robertson, Claros and Taiwo for me versus them. No room for Deegan. Some say he adds steel to the side, IMO he doesn't play with his head up and for a midfielder is a piss poor passer of the ball.

adhibs
05-03-2013, 12:50 PM

Would be delighted with that. Get the feeling he'll get a good move to england though, hes certainly good enough

sesoim
05-03-2013, 12:52 PM
Claros slows us down as well. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, up until now we'd completely by-passed the midfield, now we can hold on to possession and do things with the ball.

If people put the Cup aside for a minute, we have only picked up 14 points in our last 15 games (which would usually have us about 11th over the course of the season), and would barely have scored if it wasn't for Griffiths staying with us. Clearly, the team/midfield balance isn't right, otherwise we'd be winning more games.

LaMotta
05-03-2013, 12:52 PM
Poor player, shouldn't start for us.

Dashing Bob S
05-03-2013, 12:56 PM
Poor player, shouldn't start for us.

Nonsense! The man's a genius!

LaMotta
05-03-2013, 12:58 PM
Nonsense! The man's a genius!

How can you say that!

hibeemikey21
05-03-2013, 01:07 PM
Prob have him in ahead of Taiwo. Tidy player but just doesn't offer the drive that Deegan shows at times.

GlenrothesHibee
05-03-2013, 01:13 PM

Was thinking the same. Id play him on Sunday

allmodcons
05-03-2013, 01:18 PM
If people put the Cup aside for a minute, we have only picked up 14 points in our last 15 games (which would usually have us about 11th over the course of the season), and would barely have scored if it wasn't for Griffiths staying with us. Clearly, the team/midfield balance isn't right, otherwise we'd be winning more games.

Recent form without Deegan (i.e. - last 4 games) has been VG.

Shrekko
05-03-2013, 01:23 PM

This is the crux of the matter.

HibeeN
05-03-2013, 01:27 PM

Was also very good earlier in the season when he was out with his broken jaw.

Of course, I'm not saying that our bad form was all down to Deegan, I just prefer the balance of the midfield with Claros, Robertson and Taiwo

dangermouse
05-03-2013, 03:03 PM
Prob have him in ahead of Taiwo. Tidy player but just doesn't offer the drive that Deegan shows at times.

Taiwo offers so much more than Deegan at the moment. He can tackle, pass, chase down. All that's missing is a goal. Deegan likes to do wee pirouettes with the ball which are nice to look at but don't get the team anywhere. Since the incident in George Street, Deegan has lost something about him and Taiwo quite rightly should be starting ahead of him.

Beefster
05-03-2013, 03:35 PM

Or we've lost one of the last six and won three of them. Clearly, the team/midfield balance is now spot on.

J-C
05-03-2013, 03:52 PM
Deegan's another crab and a slow one at that, a very average player who has not lived up to the hype when he first came, thought we were getting a no nonsense midfield general type, instead we got an ok at that side passing midfielder. Keep the midfield as is and let Deegan go in the summer when his contract is up, until then he's purely there as cover.

Elephant Stone
05-03-2013, 04:09 PM
Deegan's another crab and a slow one at that, a very average player who has not lived up to the hype when he first came, thought we were getting a no nonsense midfield general type, instead we got an ok at that side passing midfielder. Keep the midfield as is and let Deegan go in the summer when his contract is up, until then he's purely there as cover.

A crab? Jeez-O, the positivity hasn't lasted long.

He's calm on the ball, rarely loses the ball, and won't be bullied. I would definitely be keeping the midfield as it is for now but I'd be looking to keep him on past the summer.

Up The Bracket
05-03-2013, 04:18 PM
I like the guy and he was good for us at the start of the season, but he's been pretty poor since he came back from his injury.

He came on v Motherwell when we were 2-1 up then we lost 3-2. Our form has since dipped slightly and now he's not playing we're unbeaten in 4. Nothing against the guy, but he's not positive enough for my liking. Claros and Taiwo aren't attacking midfielders but they play more positive passes and chase and harry further up the pitch.

I actually think Deegan should be played as a very deep midfielder against teams like Celtic or a game where we just want a point or to sneak a win. Otherwise, a squad player.

His contract is up in the summer and I think he'll be away. He's still a bit bitter about getting attacked after the Dundee game and will probably head back down south I think.

blackpoolhibs
05-03-2013, 04:25 PM
I think he's ok but not good enough to oust any of the players we are picking at the moment. As others have said he's a squad man now and out of contract in the summer.

I don't know if he will want to stay as a bit part player, and with Liam Craig coming and others i'd guess, i think we might see the parting of ways.

hibsbollah
05-03-2013, 06:32 PM
The midfield, for the first time in literally YEARS, is not a weakness in the team. Deegan isnt part of that first choice five anymore, as much as i like him when we dont have the ball.

Wotherspiniesta
05-03-2013, 06:57 PM
Think he's a little unfortunate to have lost his place, but can't argue about not been in the team at the minute. As has been said, Robertson, Taiwo and Claros have been in good form and deserve to start on Sunday.

Wouldn't mind brining Deegan on later on to ruffle them up though :greengrin

Jonnyboy
05-03-2013, 07:09 PM

He's calm on the ball, rarely loses the ball, and won't be bullied. I would definitely be keeping the midfield as it is for now but I'd be looking to keep him on past the summer.

I'd argue he dwells on the ball too long, loses it too often and gets muscled out of it by two opponents taking advantage of the fact that he dwells on it for too long. I'm aware that at least one poster thinks he's by far our best midfielder but as that poster often posts sensible stuff I'll forgive him this inexplicable lapse. :greengrin

Thecat23
05-03-2013, 08:27 PM
Please tell me you have information that he is staying beyond this season ?

He wants to stay beyond this season. 2 English teams were looking at him before Jan. not heard anything else since but says Hibs are where he plans to be next year. He genuinely loves this club and city so between his agent and the board I'm hoping a deal can be done. I'm already onto Dave to make sure it happens ;)

Aldo
05-03-2013, 08:34 PM

Sorry but have to totally disagree with you. Taiwo covers every blade of grass and is harrying and chasing and backing up his team mates. The guy for me is the perfect foil for Claros and Robertson.

Heay don't get me wrong I like Deegan and he has some qualities about him but its Taiwo for me.

J-C
05-03-2013, 08:40 PM

I'm very positive about the midfield but just without Deegan, all about opinions, I don't rate him too much, others like you do.

Heisenberg
05-03-2013, 08:43 PM
I agree with the majority here in that I think our midfield has been much better with Deegan sitting on the bench. He just dosent offer as much as any of the three currently playing and I'd be disappointed if he were to get back in any time soon.

neil7908
05-03-2013, 09:32 PM
He wants to stay beyond this season. 2 English teams were looking at him before Jan. not heard anything else since but says Hibs are where he plans to be next year. He genuinely loves this club and city so between his agent and the board I'm hoping a deal can be done. I'm already onto Dave to make sure it happens ;)

Does he not have a year left on his current contract though? The talk at one point was of his club in Honduras wanting 800k for him. Even if they only wanted half or a third of that I can't imagine we could pay. Desperate to keep Claros but I fear he and his club will have better offers on the table

jeffers
05-03-2013, 10:07 PM

Thanks a lot for the update, really hope he stays.

spike220
06-03-2013, 08:20 AM
Seven Things about Deegan

1. He has toughened up our midfield no end.
2. He sacres the crap out of opposing midfields
3. He is an enforcer
4. HE scored THAT goal voted best in the world(that week) on SPN
5. He is so useful to have on the bench it is unreal (If the other team start throwing their weight around they know PF will bring him on)
6. He was one of the players to stop us being a soft touch.
7. If he way playing on the SC final we would have either done much better or he would have broke someones leg (either option would have suited me :agree:).

I dont think we can live without Deegan at the moment, he is a huge player for us, even if he is not in the starting XI.

blackpoolhibs
06-03-2013, 08:27 AM
I'd argue he dwells on the ball too long, loses it too often and gets muscled out of it by two opponents taking advantage of the fact that he dwells on it for too long. I'm aware that at least one poster thinks he's by far our best midfielder but as that poster often posts sensible stuff I'll forgive him this inexplicable lapse. :greengrin

I think if we could get Alan O'Brien back Andy would explode. :wink:

Big_Franck
06-03-2013, 08:33 AM
Seven Things about Deegan

1. He has toughened up our midfield no end.
2. He sacres the crap out of opposing midfields
3. He is an enforcer
4. HE scored THAT goal voted best in the world(that week) on SPN
5. He is so useful to have on the bench it is unreal (If the other team start throwing their weight around they know PF will bring him on)
6. He was one of the players to stop us being a soft touch.
7. If he way playing on the SC final we would have either done much better or he would have broke someones leg (either option would have suited me :agree:).

I dont think we can live without Deegan at the moment, he is a huge player for us, even if he is not in the starting XI.

Id agree with a lot of that. I like Deegan but I dont think he's as good on the ball as the boys that are starting at the moment. Im sure he'll get his chance between now and the end of the season though and im sure he'll give 100% as always.

spike220
06-03-2013, 08:43 AM
Id agree with a lot of that. I like Deegan but I dont think he's as good on the ball as the boys that are starting at the moment. Im sure he'll get his chance between now and the end of the season though and im sure he'll give 100% as always.

I'd have to agree with that too.

Big_Franck
06-03-2013, 08:48 AM
Maybe a sign of how much we've improved that a guy that would have walked into our team over the last 2/3 cant currently get in the side.

spike220
06-03-2013, 08:56 AM
Maybe a sign of how much we've improved that a guy that would have walked into our team over the last 2/3 cant currently get in the side.

I know what you mean, I have seen a pint of milk turn quicker than Deegan. However his off the ball work is great and the other teams always have to go around him, unless they want to risk a broken ankle.