PDA

View Full Version : Can someone advise ?

Jim_in_Canada
04-03-2013, 05:11 PM
If we beat Falkirk would we be guaranteed a European place ?

(Given, of course, the Celtic win the league)

Jim

wearethehibs
04-03-2013, 05:12 PM
And if Celtic beat Dundee United

Jim_in_Canada
04-03-2013, 05:15 PM
And if Celtic beat Dundee United

Yes - good point !

But would there be a place ?

plhibs
04-03-2013, 05:21 PM
If we played Celtic in the final, yes.

jonny
04-03-2013, 05:44 PM
This year we have 1 Champions league space and 3 Europa League spaces.
League winners qualify for champions league.
Scottish cup winners and 2nd and 3rd in SPL qualify for Europa league.

The ranking of places (best point of entry) for Europa league is 1st ranked is cup winners, 2nd ranked is 2nd in the league and 3rd ranked is 3rd in the league.

If a team finishes 2nd or 3rd in the league and wins the cup then they forfeit their lower ranked Europa position to the next placed team in the league and they take up the top ranked entry as cup winners. The 4th place team in the league would then become the lowest ranked qualifiers. If cup runners up are not already in a position in the league to qualify then they miss out - i.e Hibs finish 2nd and beat Utd who finish 5th. Utd dont get in but the team thats 4th in the league do.

If the team that gets into the champions league wins the cup and a team that is outwith the top 3 are runners up the rankings of Europa entry change. The cup runners up then become the lowest ranked qualifiers and 2nd place in the league become the highest ranked qualifiers with 3rd in the league in the middle. i.e Celtic win the league and beat Hibs who finish 5th in the final. Hibs would get the lowest ranked entry point and 4th in the league would not qualify.

This makes sense to me... Hope it does to you as well.

Jim_in_Canada
04-03-2013, 07:28 PM

The ranking of places (best point of entry) for Europa league is 1st ranked is cup winners, 2nd ranked is 2nd in the league and 3rd ranked is 3rd in the league.

If a team finishes 2nd or 3rd in the league and wins the cup then they forfeit their lower ranked Europa position to the next placed team in the league and they take up the top ranked entry as cup winners. The 4th place team in the league would then become the lowest ranked qualifiers. If cup runners up are not already in a position in the league to qualify then they miss out - i.e Hibs finish 2nd and beat Utd who finish 5th. Utd dont get in but the team thats 4th in the league do.

If the team that gets into the champions league wins the cup and a team that is outwith the top 3 are runners up the rankings of Europa entry change. The cup runners up then become the lowest ranked qualifiers and 2nd place in the league become the highest ranked qualifiers with 3rd in the league in the middle. i.e Celtic win the league and beat Hibs who finish 5th in the final. Hibs would get the lowest ranked entry point and 4th in the league would not qualify.

Thanks, Jonny !

Scouse Hibee
04-03-2013, 07:35 PM
]If we beat Falkirk would we be guaranteed a European place ?[/B]

(Given, of course, the Celtic win the league)

Jim

No! A Scottish Cup Final will be guaranteed though. :greengrin

Sweet Left Peg
04-03-2013, 07:42 PM

Crystal. Cheers Jonny.