PDA

View Full Version : Flying back for another final?

aussie_hibee
04-03-2013, 03:41 AM
Following our great win last night, I have started looking at flights back for the final. (I know there's still work to be done)

i am wondering what the other overseas hibbys are thinking.

Personally, I'm still swithering if I would do the trip if it was against celtc but will definitely fly back for any of the others. (Finances permitting).

So what's everyone thinking (hypothetically of course!!!)

Lucius Apuleius
04-03-2013, 03:50 AM
I'll be there if Hibs are.

Lee Marvin
04-03-2013, 03:57 AM
This is my dilema. I now live in Hong Kong and I would have to come back for literally 2 days, as i couldnt get time off work. The thought doing that and losing again is horrific, however the thought of not being there when Hibs win the SC is worse. Don't think I would ever get over that. Praying we either get Celtic in semi or they get pumped out by Falkirk/utd.

Shearer
04-03-2013, 04:32 AM
My Oz visa is up in June but i'd happily fly back a few weeks early for the final, couldnt forgive myself if I missed it!

Lee Marvin
04-03-2013, 04:35 AM
My Oz visa is up in June but i'd happily fly back a few weeks early for the final, couldnt forgive myself if I missed it!

Absolute no brainer for you mate!! If I can't get time off work I may just have to resign and not come back to HK :greengrin

SaudiHibby
04-03-2013, 05:14 AM
If we are there I am there :flag:

scott7_0(Prague)
04-03-2013, 05:15 AM
Already looked at prices.

s2hart
04-03-2013, 06:04 AM
I've just moved out to Tokyo, so I don't mind making a trip back regardless of who we have in the final, I wouldn't want to miss out, plus the bonus is a friends getting married the following weekend so I can make that, no cup final I'm not coming back for the wedding, harsh!

Craig_in_Prague
04-03-2013, 06:27 AM
If Hibs make it, I'm there.

lyonhibs
04-03-2013, 06:57 AM
Easier for those in Europe to say with certainty, but I will be there if Hibs are. Indeed, I'll be back in Glasgow for a friend's wedding on the Saturday either way.

Dalianwanda
04-03-2013, 07:04 AM
I'm on holiday for the final but will head over for the semi (if its a Sunday)....As Ive mentioned before hopefully its not against Celtic so don't have to travel across with a load of their fans..

ronaldo7
04-03-2013, 07:07 AM
This is my dilema. I now live in Hong Kong and I would have to come back for literally 2 days, as i couldnt get time off work. The thought doing that and losing again is horrific, however the thought of not being there when Hibs win the SC is worse. Don't think I would ever get over that. Praying we either get Celtic in semi or they get pumped out by Falkirk/utd.

You'll need to tell me by next week or your seat on the bus is gone:greengrin

Sproule Three
04-03-2013, 07:58 AM
Like the OP I'll do the Sydney -Hampden trip if its not Smeltic IF we get there .
Got enough airmiles to fly over and extremely cheap one way flights from Glasgow to Aus $Au890 which is best I've ever seen -:)

Greendub
04-03-2013, 09:35 AM
Yeah I'll be back,doesn't take long to get back from Norway :-)

Keith_M
04-03-2013, 09:49 AM
IF we make it, I'm flying over, as per usual. I've already booked holidays at work for the semi-final.

Despite the final last year being one of the worst days ever in supporting Hibs, I'll still be there. This time, no matter the scoreline, I'm staying to the bitter end to cheer them off the pitch.

If we lose, the change in our side has been so dramatic that I can't see it being a drubbing. This really is a team with bottle and, as evidenced in the last week or so, no shortage of skill.

p.s. For anyone of a non-Hibs persuasion looking in; No, we're taking nothing for granted. We know we're only in the semi-Final and this is all hypothetical.... so go bake some cakes :na na:

Jamesie
04-03-2013, 10:34 AM

Broke the bank and spent roughly £500 in flights and cancellation fees to move a three week trip of a lifetime overland between Zimbabwe and Kenya so I could go to the Cup Final last year. The shame I felt when Kujabi got sent off and the game ended as a contest was unbelievable, however I knew that I couldn't have enjoyed the trip until after the Final (which would have been one week into the three) and trying to listen from a Malawi internet cafe would have been torture!

04-03-2013, 10:49 AM
wooooooah guys lets just take it one game at a time lol we still have a very tough semi final to get through lol!

All this talk of a final makes me nervous lol!

RamblingJack
04-03-2013, 11:09 AM
I will be there,it's only two hours away.Looking at flights now.

Mikey
04-03-2013, 11:13 AM
I will be there,it's only two hours away.Looking at flights now.

It's around the same length of time for those travelling on the Golden Eagle double deckers from Edinburgh :greengrin

OsloHibs
04-03-2013, 12:01 PM
Been over twice this season, and seen 2 wins.. Infact in the last 8 years- I've never seen Hibs get beat!!!!!

Hell yeah. I'm there if we make it :wink:

HiBremian
04-03-2013, 12:05 PM
Heading over on Friday for the Silence of the Yams.

Already looking at prices for May. Couldn't make last year's *****, so hoping the omens are right if I make it this year.:greengrin

aussie_hibee
04-03-2013, 12:08 PM
Already found flights (pretty decent at $1700 return)
Flew back for cis cup final (total coincidence that it coincided with my honeymoon!) took the wife and she loved it. We also went to the Inverness game at ER the week before but she didn't go to the derby after the final...! In fact she's never seen Hibs lose! I've already been told that if I expect to go, then she's going to.
On a side note, when I got back last year, my grandad and all his friends asked why I was there and not the wife....!

Beefster
04-03-2013, 12:14 PM
Why the reluctance to fly back for a final against the Soapdodgers?

HibsMax
04-03-2013, 12:34 PM
I will be coming back for sure, regardless of the opponents.

DH1875
04-03-2013, 01:41 PM
Been over twice this season, and seen 2 wins.. Infact in the last 8 years- I've never seen Hibs get beat!!!!!

Hell yeah. I'm there if we make it :wink:

Where were you in May :grr::tsk tsk::slipper:.

Swedish hibee
04-03-2013, 02:01 PM

Where were you!!!

DH1875
04-03-2013, 02:13 PM
Where were you!!!

Erm......I was at hamdump watching us get humped :confused:.

HibeeEmma
04-03-2013, 03:15 PM
I'll be there if Hibs are.

:agree::agree:

California-Hibs
04-03-2013, 05:52 PM
I find myself in a tricky situation. Only moved over here to California in September to marry my wife and start my new life here. Just got a new job that I start this week. Cash is alittle tight and although I've got the wife into Hibs (get's up early with me all the time to watch them, really get's into it too, even know's all the players now! :greengrin ) However she still doesn't quite 'get it' when it comes to the importance of the Scottish Cup Final and Hibs. I said to her this morning that I honestly don't know if I could live with myself watching it on tv over here in the States and then the possibility of us winning and watching all the celebrations on a screen/reading about them - it's just TOO big!
The outcome is that if I can possibly talk my dad into helping me out with a good part of the flight (May is my birthday after all and i will be using this line to my advantage big time) then I hopefully might be able to make it. It would only be the Friday - Sunday (maybe Monday) which is a long way to travel for just a couple of days but i think it's the only way I'd be able to make it work with time off work.

BUUUUUUUUT....we still need to get past Falkirk, I'm thinking ahead, but at the same time this will be a big test!

EastCalderHibby
04-03-2013, 07:48 PM
Following our great win last night, I have started looking at flights back for the final. (I know there's still work to be done)

i am wondering what the other overseas hibbys are thinking.

Personally, I'm still swithering if I would do the trip if it was against celtc but will definitely fly back for any of the others. (Finances permitting).

So what's everyone thinking (hypothetically of course!!!)

is that you p hart

FranckSuzy
04-03-2013, 08:01 PM
is that you p hart

He's OzHibs if I remember correctly :wink: Sat beside him in May.

Scouse Hibee
04-03-2013, 08:07 PM
If we are there I am there :flag:

Don't rush you might struggle for a ticket.

EastCalderHibby
04-03-2013, 08:24 PM
He's OzHibs if I remember correctly :wink: Sat beside him in May.

cheers mate he is my cuz and i know he was over last may::aok:

FranckSuzy
04-03-2013, 08:27 PM
cheers mate he is my cuz and i know he was over last may::aok:

We picked him up in East Calder :agree: En route to Clelland :drunk: :greengrin He was with my brother John and Graham, another Oz Hibs guy who came over. Think he'll come back this year (if we make it) ?

EastCalderHibby
04-03-2013, 08:34 PM
We picked him up in East Calder :agree: En route to Clelland :drunk: :greengrin He was with my brother John and Graham, another Oz Hibs guy who came over. Think he'll come back this year (if we make it) ?

hopefully see you and peter in east calder for 2 or 10 drinks en route to hampden:flag::flag:

FranckSuzy
04-03-2013, 08:38 PM
hopefully see you and peter in east calder for 2 or 10 drinks en route to hampden:flag::flag:

:agree: :aok:

CH-ibbie
04-03-2013, 08:58 PM
I'd definitely come along if we were in the final. I 've been unfortunate (or "lucky") never to make it to a final since i became a Hibby in 1995. I'd still be very suspicious about being able to get a ticket though, not being a ST holder or having other particular "connections" with supporters clubs or so apart from once writing as a "Swiss correspondant" on Hibs matters in a Hibs fanzine in the 90s called "TanesH" (The absolutely non essential Hibs Handbook). In the likey prospect of facing Smeltic it'll be even more difficult to purchase one i guess...Well, won't give up hope...should we get past Falkirk.....

OsloHibs
04-03-2013, 09:08 PM

I know! Missed my flight over :loser: The shame will live with me forever!!

Sproule Three
04-03-2013, 09:58 PM
Why the reluctance to fly back for a final against the Soapdodgers?

Less chance of a ticket and higher chance of being pumped .
travelled back in 2001 when we lost 3 0 to them . Admittedly it was easier as I was living in Bermuda at the time and had no family commitments but it was very disappointing and we had a much better team then.
despite our unbeaten record against them this season ( I was at the 2-2 game at CP) still only rate our chances at 20% if we get them in final. Not enough to risk a lot of marital strife -:)

Twiglet
04-03-2013, 10:08 PM
Already found flights (pretty decent at $1700 return)
Flew back for cis cup final (total coincidence that it coincided with my honeymoon!) took the wife and she loved it. We also went to the Inverness game at ER the week before but she didn't go to the derby after the final...! In fact she's never seen Hibs lose! I've already been told that if I expect to go, then she's going to.
On a side note, when I got back last year, my grandad and all his friends asked why I was there and not the wife....!

Would David come back for the final too?
I know he was only over at Christmas here, but if was planning to come back IF we got to the final I'm sure his family would be happy.

PatHead
04-03-2013, 10:10 PM
For anyone booking flights if we make the final remember the final is a Sunday for the first time.

KWJ
04-03-2013, 10:31 PM
Stuck.

I'm in NZ, skint and my visa runs to late September and I've still not been to the south island. If I came home it'd probably have to be one way and I'd need some sort of fundraiser!

Then there's getting a ticket if it's against Celtic.

Last year was painful enough.

A 5 min search suggests I can fly back to London one way for £680.

Damn it Hibees!

aussie_hibee
05-03-2013, 12:57 AM
Would David come back for the final too?
I know he was only over at Christmas here, but if was planning to come back IF we got to the final I'm sure his family would be happy.

We were talking about it last night. I'm pretty sure he'll be there, he just needs to convince his missus (like all of us!)

WellingtonHibby
05-03-2013, 03:15 AM
I am booked to come back for the month of April, (existing wedding commitments for a pal - but it means i shall make the Semi) and then I move stratight to start a new life in NZ first week in May - Really going to toil to fly back two weeks later for the Final.

This may go down as the worst planning of all time.....:fenlon

SaudiHibby
05-03-2013, 03:37 AM
Don't rush you might struggle for a ticket.

:greengrin you can't help yourself. I will be there if we beat Falkirk and I can guarantee that you cheeky wee scamp you. :na na:

Sproule Three
05-03-2013, 04:00 AM
I am booked to come back for the month of April, (existing wedding commitments for a pal - but it means i shall make the Semi) and then I move stratight to start a new life in NZ first week in May - Really going to toil to fly back two weeks later for the Final.

This may go down as the worst planning of all time.....:fenlon

Through the retrospectoscope flying back last year was probably a worse plan Jamie -;(

Twiglet
05-03-2013, 06:27 AM
We were talking about it last night. I'm pretty sure he'll be there, he just needs to convince his missus (like all of us!)

Well if we do get there and i have a spare ticket his name would be on it again if he needed.
Tell him "legend" says hi. ;-)

FLHIBS
05-03-2013, 08:26 AM
Having booked a(same date most years) break back in January, it is usually the week of the Champions League final after the end of the season in Scotland.

However, just checked the SC final date and it is on 26th May(Sunday) the day after the Champions League final ?

So(assuming but not taking for granted we beat Falkirk) I'm going to miss the final FFS.

Have the SFA messed up on the dates this year ? The Champions League final is always the final game in Europe for the season.

Totally gutted, could miss a historic day, with the mother of all parties afterwards..............

So should I risk losing two friends and a wife by suggesting we cancel(all non-refundable !)

Anyone else have the same issue ?

Steve-O
05-03-2013, 08:28 AM
1600 quid and a week off work (in a country where 20 days per year is standard) is quite a price to pay for nowhere close to a guarantee of a win! Was SO glad in the end that I didn't come back last year.

No brainer for anyone within about 12 hours and 700 odd quid IMO...30+ hours is a different matter :boo hoo:

lord bunberry
05-03-2013, 08:30 AM
Having booked a(same date most years) break back in January, it is usually the week of the Champions League final after the end of the season in Scotland.

However, just checked the SC final date and it is on 26th May(Sunday) the day after the Champions League final ?

So(assuming but not taking for granted we beat Falkirk) I'm going to miss the final FFS.

Have the SFA messed up on the dates this year ? The Champions League final is always the final game in Europe for the season.

Totally gutted, could miss a historic day, with the mother of all parties afterwards..............

So should I risk losing two friends and a wife by suggesting we cancel(all non-refundable !)

I think you know what needs to done.

EuanH78
05-03-2013, 08:30 AM

I think my chances of divorce are higher than yours.

Again not taking anything for granted but if Hibs make the final - 26th May, first child due 27th May.... :confused:

Hermit Crab
05-03-2013, 08:31 AM

No brainer.

cam75
05-03-2013, 08:33 AM
I flew family back from nz 3months early in 06 for the final I still get grief for it,would have been worth it tho :-)

Pretty Boy
05-03-2013, 08:39 AM

Where about is the break and for how long?

One of my mates flew back from a week in Amsterdam forbthe Livi league cup final then flew back out the next day. Is that an option?

If not then your wife might get over it, would you get over missing a SC win?

FLHIBS
05-03-2013, 08:40 AM
I think you know what needs to done.

Correct I THINK I know what needs to be done but doing it is another matter....you don't know my missus ! my bollocks served on my breakfast plate springs to mind !

FLHIBS
05-03-2013, 09:01 AM
Where about is the break and for how long?

One of my mates flew back from a week in Amsterdam forbthe Livi league cup final then flew back out the next day. Is that an option?

If not then your wife might get over it, would you get over missing a SC win?

Going to F1 GP in Monaco, which is a fantastic trip but Hibs in the final ? I blew $2000 flying back from Miami(where I was working) for last years final, maybe there is a lesson in that !

pacorosssco
05-03-2013, 09:16 AM
sunday v hearts check
semi check
final check

flight booked for all three

aussie_hibee
05-03-2013, 12:52 PM
Well if we do get there and i have a spare ticket his name would be on it again if he needed.
Tell him "legend" says hi. ;-)

I'll tell him and if you can procure anymore tickets, I may need one myself as my grandad has said he'll never go to another final ever again!!!!

Twiglet
05-03-2013, 12:57 PM
I'll tell him and if you can procure anymore tickets, I may need one myself as my grandad has said he'll never go to another final ever again!!!!

No worries. Will keep you in mind. :)

aussie_hibee
05-03-2013, 01:21 PM
No worries. Will keep you in mind. :)
Legend!!!

plhibs
05-03-2013, 02:14 PM
Iwas planning my annual trip for late May this year but the place i stay was already booked. We booked to arrive on Sunday June 1st not even thinking about a possible SC Final:rolleyes: When i told the wife about the situation after the draw on Monday she said " why don't you go over earlier and stay with your mother for a week"
Nice understanding wife, i think she must be an imposter.:greengrin

Pray that we do the business against Falkirk.