PDA

View Full Version : Today's ref

Nomeancity
03-03-2013, 08:18 PM
Just watched the game on tv. Just reinforces what I thought at the game. Best ref this season. Let the game flow without pulling it back for wee shoves or nudges from both teams. Ok the pen was a joke but how often do we say refs should use their linesman - we can't say this then moan when it goes against us.
There was just something about today?

SMAXXA
03-03-2013, 08:26 PM
Just watched the game on tv. Just reinforces what I thought at the game. Best ref this season. Let the game flow without pulling it back for wee shoves or nudges from both teams. Ok the pen was a joke but how often do we say refs should use their linesman - we can't say this then moan when it goes against us.
There was just something about today?

I agree with you, we bleet on about how we want linesman to take more of a responsability and unfortunatley for us today he made a twat of it. Still id much rather see that than e ref guess from 30 yards away.

Credit to where its due, he had a decent game and somewhat wasnt in the limelight which some refs these days do far to much.

FromTheCapital
03-03-2013, 08:27 PM
Totally agree.

One or two clear free-kicks that weren't given but every referee has their own opinion and doesn't have these cameras at the time.
Penalty was given by linesman (Obviously, never a penalty).
But, he done brilliantly to spot the tug on Griffiths and the following handball from the free-kick.

Good performance from him.

Alfred E Newman
03-03-2013, 08:33 PM
The best young ref I`ve seen in a long time. Common sense decisions, unfussy and used the advantage for the Hibs goals. He`s only 31 but handled the game more sensibly and maturely than some of the more experienced clowns like Thomson and Brines . 1st Class.

Fergus52
03-03-2013, 08:37 PM
I must have been at a different game.

Thought the ref was murder so did everyone who was sitting around me.

A hibs player could look at a killie player and they would get a foul.

Davy Mac
03-03-2013, 08:45 PM

:agree: Agreed, opinions eh?

I thought he was far too quick to blow for a free kick when players went down.

Murder, might be stretching it a wee bit but still thought he was a bit lily livered at times

SkintHibby
03-03-2013, 08:52 PM

From the comfort of my living room and with the benefit of replays I can assure you, you are quite wrong regarding this excellent young referee.:agree:

AndyB_70
03-03-2013, 11:06 PM
I've not seen it again on TV but why did he not send their keeper off at the 2nd goal? He clearly denied a goal scoring opportunity so it's a red card. If we didn't have another player there he would have given a pen and would have given him a red card. He bottled it. Then we have the clear push on Leigh at the 3rd. What would he have done if the keeper had got hold of the ball?

JMac
03-03-2013, 11:48 PM
Thought the red did very very well today, best I've seen in a long time, I don't even blame him for the pen (too much) as he obv didn't see it and it was the linesman that gave it

iwasthere1972
04-03-2013, 12:11 AM
For what its worth I thought the ref had a good game. Wasn't at the match but watched it on the
telly. Hope we get him again in the semi.

Monts
04-03-2013, 12:13 AM
I've not seen it again on TV but why did he not send their keeper off at the 2nd goal? He clearly denied a goal scoring opportunity so it's a red card. If we didn't have another player there he would have given a pen and would have given him a red card. He bottled it. Then we have the clear push on Leigh at the 3rd. What would he have done if the keeper had got hold of the ball?
Considering we scored, surely he didn't deny a goal scoring opportunity...

danhibees1875
04-03-2013, 12:28 AM

I would say Griffiths was still denied a goal scoring opportunity. We were just fortunate enough that done was there to have a second one.

I'm not sure what the rules state but, I've never seen an advantage given and then a retrospective red card. So I agree with the referee's decision to produce a yellow only.

I thought in general the ref did well. Their penalty wasn't his call. However I have doubts as to whether we were on the verge of getting a penalty before our 3rd - the ref was quick to signal advantage for our second goal but doesn't do anything for the 3rd. Had Bell held on to the ball I think there wouldn't have been a penalty and this thread may have taken a whole other direction regarding the referee...

AndyB_70
04-03-2013, 12:33 AM

Yes he did so its still a red card for the initial trip. It was just fortunate that we had another player there. Regardless of the outcome it is still a last man challenge. Would you still be saying the same if we didn't have the extra man there?
Why didn't he send off the centre half for the push when Leigh just has the keeper to beat? As last man he should have also walked. Had the keeper gathered the ball then again we would have been still at 2-2. Just because the team scores doesn't mean the player making the foul gets off with it.

Boyle89
04-03-2013, 01:38 AM
Thought he was pretty poor. Not terrible just not great. True he got the main decisions right but he called up so many fouls that just werent. Was in the perfect position for the red card and our pen so he couldnt say no. Th linesman that gave that pen should be demoted though.

KWJ
04-03-2013, 01:54 AM
He was decent. Certainly wasn't biased against us as there were a good few times I expected the whistle for a Killie free kick and it didn't come. Let it flow like the guys say.

delbert
04-03-2013, 03:09 AM
Yes he did so its still a red card for the initial trip. It was just fortunate that we had another player there. Regardless of the outcome it is still a last man challenge. Would you still be saying the same if we didn't have the extra man there?
Why didn't he send off the centre half for the push when Leigh just has the keeper to beat? As last man he should have also walked. Had the keeper gathered the ball then again we would have been still at 2-2. Just because the team scores doesn't mean the player making the foul gets off with it.

No he didn't, the goal was scored within the same phase of play, so Bell did not do what he tried to do, which was stop Hibs from scoring, therefore the referee was correct to allow the goal and then to caution Bell for the deliberate trip. Same for the push by Sissoko, you can't send someone off for what you call a 'last man' foul when a goal actually results, that would be a double punishment and totally unfair, FWIW I thought the referee showed a lot of common sense today and had an excellent game. The way Sissoko played today, I thought the ref did us a favour leaving him on the park, considering he set up two of our goals.

dangermouse
04-03-2013, 08:03 AM
No he didn't, the goal was scored within the same phase of play, so Bell did not do what he tried to do, which was stop Hibs from scoring, therefore the referee was correct to allow the goal and then to caution Bell for the deliberate trip. Same for the push by Sissoko, you can't send someone off for what you call a 'last man' foul when a goal actually results, that would be a double punishment and totally unfair, FWIW I thought the referee showed a lot of common sense today and had an excellent game. The way Sissoko played today, I thought the ref did us a favour leaving him on the park, considering he set up two of our goals.

This phrase gets on my wick. There is no such rule. The rule states denying a clear goal scoring opportunity nothing about being the last man. Anyway, thought the ref did well apart from the penalty but now realise it was the linesman that gave it.

Brines was mentioned earlier and his booking of GMS for united's winner was a complete joke.

blackpoolhibs
04-03-2013, 08:21 AM
Thought the ref was very good, let down by his linesman for their 2nd goal. He did not send Bell off because the trip did not deny a goal scoring opportunity because we actually scored from the opportunity.

At the time i was delirious but also gutted we had not been awarded a penalty and the keeper sent off, but thats football. :greengrin

SmashinGlass
04-03-2013, 08:46 AM
I thought the ref was very good yesterday. Badly let down by his assistant for their pen, as others have already pointed out. In many respects, he was probably glad that we scored both times he played advantage from red card offences as it saved him having to make a decision. It is perfectly conceivable that, on a different day, Killie would have finished the game with 8 players

Hibernian Verse
04-03-2013, 08:58 AM
As far as I can see, he's allowed us to score and kept Bell on the pitch as well. Fair play to him, we get a goal and they keep their keeper. It's a Scottish cup tie and in the interest of fairness I think he got it right. Yes I know what the rules state.

Fwiw, Sissoko should have seen red for that back pass!

Weej1875
06-03-2013, 08:23 AM
Watching the highlights again today, I'm so impressed with his quick decision about the foul on Griffiths and the red card. Absolutely the right decision, and I don't think many others would have given it.

vanNISHtelroy
06-03-2013, 08:43 AM
As far as I can see, he's allowed us to score and kept Bell on the pitch as well. Fair play to him, we get a goal and they keep their keeper. It's a Scottish cup tie and in the interest of fairness I think he got it right. Yes I know what the rules state.

Fwiw, Sissoko should have seen red for that back pass!

Cammy never should have played the ball to Sissoko in the first place, time for playing out from the back and time for putting your ****ing laces through it!

Last time Cammy played as badly for us was when his future was being discussed strangely!

Future17
06-03-2013, 01:15 PM
Apparently he reffed the ****** game versus the Super J's last night and had a 'mare, upsetting both sets of fans on multiple occasions.

Of particular interest was his apparent failure to play advantage for ******, but then allowing them to take the free-kick about 10 yards further forward than the foul was committed, which led to a goal.