PDA

View Full Version : The Pitch

SMAXXA
28-02-2013, 09:43 PM
Whats happened to the pitch at ER, have they auctioned of the grass or sumit. Couldnt believe it when I seen the highlights of the Kili game.

Or is Rod making further cut backs in order to sign KT by stopping buying grass seeds :greengrin

Macaroon
28-02-2013, 09:46 PM
Kenny Shiels seemed to blame it on the pitch cover. Apparently weighs down and flattens the grass.

Seems oddly logical for him.

SMAXXA
28-02-2013, 09:47 PM
Kenny Shiels seemed to blame it on the pitch cover. Apparently weighs down and flattens the grass.

Seems oddly logical for him.

Did they park a giant steam roller on top of the cover aswell :greengrin

Bishop Hibee
28-02-2013, 09:51 PM
Not much grass but the ball ran fairly smoothly and the lack of divots meant it wasn't a major factor in the game. The cold wet winter combined with undersoil heating must make it a nightmare for the groundsman.

Sunderland used to (and perhaps still do) allow fans, for a price, to book the pitch after the last home game for 11-a-side games to help cover the cost of relaying the surface. I'd pay a healthy whack for the chance to grace the hallowed turf. Perhaps an idea towards a decent surface for future seasons?

SMAXXA
28-02-2013, 09:54 PM
Not much grass but the ball ran fairly smoothly and the lack of divots meant it wasn't a major factor in the game. The cold wet winter combined with undersoil heating must make it a nightmare for the groundsman.

Sunderland used to (and perhaps still do) allow fans, for a price, to book the pitch after the last home game for 11-a-side games to help cover the cost of relaying the surface. I'd pay a healthy whack for the chance to grace the hallowed turf. Perhaps an idea towards a decent surface for future seasons?

Seems a really good idea, im sure they could even make more money if that idea was sold to a corporate company. Would prefer it to go to the fans though

Hibrandenburg
28-02-2013, 10:05 PM

Sunderland used to (and perhaps still do) allow fans, for a price, to book the pitch after the last home game for 11-a-side games to help cover the cost of relaying the surface. I'd pay a healthy whack for the chance to grace the hallowed mud. Perhaps an idea towards a decent surface for future seasons?

Fixed that for you :-)

frazeHFC
28-02-2013, 10:18 PM
Fixed that for you :-)

Was like a game of spot the difference before i reached the bit you had changed. :doh: :tee hee:

SMAXXA
28-02-2013, 10:21 PM
Was like a game of spot the difference before i reached the bit you had changed. :doh: :tee hee:

Me tae :greengrin swine.

hibs4thecup1988
01-03-2013, 12:00 AM

Make that 3... should have put it in bold :rolleyes::greengrin

Hibhibhooray
01-03-2013, 12:48 AM
Whats happened to the pitch at ER, have they auctioned of the grass or sumit. Couldnt believe it when I seen the highlights of the Kili game.

Or is Rod making further cut backs in order to sign KT by stopping buying grass seeds :greengrin

From what i was told the 'summer' weather mean't the pitch was struggling from day one :agree: and was not at the point a new pitch should have been at the at the start of the season, it was predicted that if the wet weather continued the pitch would need to be renewed at the end of the season.

Unfortunatly Our summer & autumn have been one of the wettest in ages. (insert smilley with umbrella)

spike220
01-03-2013, 03:08 AM

Rod is that you?

Hermit Crab
01-03-2013, 07:47 AM
Does the undersoil heating being on constantly not burn the roots of the grass not giving it a chance to grow back resulting in what we have now?

vanNISHtelroy
01-03-2013, 08:15 AM
Don't know what it's like now but on Saturday, the pitch at Rugby Park was looking pretty bare...it's still flat so didn't cause any problems though.

There was an under 20s game on it last night (we beat 10 man Motherwell 4-2, Boyd had an hour run out), wasn't there so don't know how it looks now. But after we play yous on Sunday we don't have another (first team anyway) game on it for a month!

Pete
01-03-2013, 08:23 AM
I wouldn't worry too much about the state of the pitch.
Chances are we wont be using it much anyway as after ten minutes of the game we will start lumping it forward to Griffiths. :-)

MB62
01-03-2013, 08:26 AM
Does the undersoil heating being on constantly not burn the roots of the grass not giving it a chance to grow back resulting in what we have now?

The winter we have had, I don't see why the undersoil heating would have been needed much this season. Whilst it has been cold, it has not been freezing cold, I could count on one hand the amount of times I have had to defrost the car this winter, so Rod should have saved a fair bit on heating costs :thumbsup:

SMAXXA
01-03-2013, 08:37 AM
Don't know what it's like now but on Saturday, the pitch at Rugby Park was looking pretty bare...it's still flat so didn't cause any problems though.

There was an under 20s game on it last night (we beat 10 man Motherwell 4-2, Boyd had an hour run out), wasn't there so don't know how it looks now. But after we play yous on Sunday we don't have another (first team anyway) game on it for a month!

No being funny VN but I think thats bang out of order playing a game like that a few days before a massive Scottish cup game. If the pitch aint the best already playing another game doesnt sound the most sensible decision.

Hibrandenburg
01-03-2013, 11:10 AM

Make that 3... should have put it in bold :rolleyes::greengrin

Sorry Gents, was on my mobile and my sausage fingers restrict me from fine detail work :greengrin

vanNISHtelroy
01-03-2013, 11:31 AM
No being funny VN but I think thats bang out of order playing a game like that a few days before a massive Scottish cup game. If the pitch aint the best already playing another game doesnt sound the most sensible decision.

Don't think it will be any worse than the pitch for the game on weds. Think the condition will be fine, just little bit bare