PDA

View Full Version : Changing colours and renaming the club (Cardiff)

down-the-slope
28-02-2013, 11:25 AM
How would you feel about that if massive money were to come to club and onfield success were to replace years of underachievement?

See follow up story interview regarding Cardiff

Cardiff City owner Vincent Tan has said that promotion to the Premier League could trigger further "rebranding" and did not rule out changing the club's name to Cardiff Dragons.
The Malaysian billionaire has already insisted upon a colour change from blue to red, as well as a new club crest.
"We will think about it when we know the final result of this season," he said about using Cardiff Dragons.
"Then we will think what's the best way to brand it."
Tan acknowledged the "rumours" that have recently emerged over the use of Cardiff Dragons but added: "We haven't discussed this. I've not really thought about this in detail.
"But when we get there we'll make a decision. And when we make a decision we will convey it to everyone."
Tan, who has an estimated wealth of $1.3bn, wants Cardiff to maximise all possible revenue and marketing opportunities in Asia.

After buying more than 35% (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/c/cardiff_city/8706910.stm) of the club's shares for £6m in 2010, the 61-year-old Malaysian threatened to withdraw his support (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18324804) in June unless the club agreed to ditch its traditional blue home shirts in favour of red ones.
The new colours were accepted, so too a new badge as a Welsh dragon replaced the bluebird, and further investment followed. (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18445138)
In an interview with BBC Wales' Sport Wales programme, he justified the "controversial decision" of the club's colours, and stressed he is prepared to and intends to make more changes.
"A few were upset but like in any business if we get 80% or 75% of the customers happy, with 20-25% not happy, that's fine," he said.
"If they don't want to come to support our business, that's fine. We need the majority."
He added: "I believe the change is for the better. And if you put in a lot of money, surely you have the right to make a call on some things you believe will make it better.
"If you don't have a say, why the hell do you want to put in so much money?"
After years of financial instability, Cardiff were on the brink of administration before Tan's takeover as part of a Malaysian consortium.

Cardiff City's new badge,

The club continues to struggle financially,recording losses of £13.6m (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-east-wales-21198131) in the year up to the end of May 2012, with an overall recorded debt of £83.1m.
The accounts also show that the debt to Langston, the company represented by ex-City owner Sam Hammam, is put at £19.2m, with a one-off payment of £5m due if City reach the Premier League while the debt is outstanding.
Tan said that resolving this debt is a priority for the club, and again called on Langston to renegotiate to a "fair level" and then convert the "unsecured" loan into equity.
If that happens, Tan said he is willing to turn the £63m loan he has given to the club into equity.
"Their loan is not secured," he said. "If anything happens to the club, Langston will get nothing. So I will convert [my loan] if we can resolve with Langston.
"And if Sam Hammam loves Cardiff as he claims he does, he should come and sit down and then we'll find a solution."
Having failed in the Championship play-offs three years in a row, Cardiff are in a stronger position than ever to reach the Premier League.
They have an eight-point lead with 13 games remaining, but Tan said he would not walk away if promotion was not secured.
"If the fans welcome me, I can stay for a long time," he said, promising a further £25m to manager Malky Mackay for new players should they go up.
"But if I find they are not welcoming and rude, then maybe I will find a new buyer and go off. But if I were to sell, I'd make sure I would leave it in good hands."
A section of Cardiff fans continue to oppose Tan's colour change. A protest was held at the end of the last home game to Brighton - which Tan attended - when free red scarves (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21497936) were handed out.
Tan referred to the dissenting voices as "a bunch of mostly young kids" and argued a change was long overdue.
"Have they achieved any success under this bluebirds brand?," he asked "So why do we hold onto something that hasn't achieved much success?"

So that would be change from Green / no more Harps & Castles............but we are playing in the Champions league...

Quite an interesting situation and one that will have polar views (is there any other on .net ;) )

SMAXXA
28-02-2013, 11:30 AM
I read the article this morning and though NO WAY in hell would I want this to happen to Hibs.

Hibernian Hornets :greengrin

iwasthere1972
28-02-2013, 11:31 AM
Got to be maroon with a fairy cake crest on the shirt. That's what successful and big teams wear.

JohnStephens91
28-02-2013, 11:36 AM
I would be peeved off, but I would still support the team and still call them Hibs and refuse to buy any of the new shirts unless they were green.

Hibs History
28-02-2013, 11:41 AM
Someone did try that in the very early 1990's

Can't remember how that panned out....

It's a no from me

onionman
28-02-2013, 12:09 PM
Cardiff Dragons sounds better than Cardiff City imo.

I would not be happy if Hibs changed colours and badge unless there was a clear, rational and intelligent reason to do so that would guarantee to improve the club.

HibbyKeith
28-02-2013, 12:12 PM
Cardiff dragons sounds like they should be playing in a league with Edinburgh capitals and the Fife Flyers.

shocking name for a football club imo.

HibeeN
28-02-2013, 12:42 PM
"A few were upset but like in any business if we get 80% or 75% of the customers happy, with 20-25% not happy, that's fine," he said.
"If they don't want to come to support our business, that's fine. We need the majority."

I think that sums it up - it's either ignorant or arrogant on his part to assume that football is the same as any other business - fans are certainly more than customers and a football club has a greater role in a city or community than your average business. I feel sorry for the fans. I think there are some advantages to "rebranding" in the sense of renaming a stand or even the stadium in order to generate income, but when it comes to the club's name and colours, how far do you go before drawing a line?

MB62
28-02-2013, 12:47 PM
I would never set foot in Easter Road again

Since90+2
28-02-2013, 12:48 PM
No chance.

I would rather we kept to our history and tradition and stayed at the same level we are now than become some sort of McDonalds FC.

Hibernian FC & Green & White - Good enough for me :agree:

Bad Habits
28-02-2013, 12:54 PM
I think that sums it up - it's either ignorant or arrogant on his part to assume that football is the same as any other business - fans are certainly more than customers and a football club has a greater role in a city or community than your average business. I feel sorry for the fans. I think there are some advantages to "rebranding" in the sense of renaming a stand or even the stadium in order to generate income, but when it comes to the club's name and colours, how far do you go before drawing a line?
This.

jacomo
28-02-2013, 12:57 PM
How about we demand our hoops back and force Celtc to change their colours?

heretoday
28-02-2013, 01:02 PM
1.3 billion eh?

Come on you reds! Get intae these Hearts bassas!

Dashing Bob S
28-02-2013, 01:15 PM
Hearts Master Bakers

Greendub
28-02-2013, 01:49 PM
That's an American thing and something for other sports like ice hockey and hand egg

Not football!

HH81
28-02-2013, 02:01 PM
Hibernian Cougars?

green glory
28-02-2013, 02:14 PM
Hibernian Cougars?

So we'll be fielding a team of MILFs? I could be persuaded. Don't really care what colour they play in. ;-)

Just Alf
28-02-2013, 02:17 PM
So we'll be fielding a team of MILFs? I could be persuaded. Don't really care what colour they play in. ;-)

Yes.... That made me take notice as well!!! :-)

green glory
28-02-2013, 02:25 PM
Yes.... That made me take notice as well!!! :-)

Carol Vorderman up front and Nigella Lawson in goals. Maybe even Susanna Reid at left back?

This has potential.

heretoday
28-02-2013, 02:39 PM
Carol Vorderman up front and Nigella Lawson in goals. Maybe even Susanna Reid at left back?

This has potential.

Imagine what the Open Day would be like.

Just Alf
28-02-2013, 02:53 PM
Imagine what the Open Day would be like.

VERY busy! :D

heretoday
28-02-2013, 02:57 PM
Lawson goes down with cramp in the box. Trainer rushes on followed by half the north stand.

Just Alf
28-02-2013, 03:11 PM
Lawson goes down with cramp in the box. Trainer rushes on followed by half the north stand.

All beaten to it by big Al who pole vaults over the advertising boards and starts rubbing ... Err..... Various bits.... In an effort at giving some "first aid"!

Just Alf
28-02-2013, 03:13 PM
Just to be clear, bits being rubbed belong to Lawson. (NOT big Al)

Just for clarity you understand....

green glory
28-02-2013, 03:19 PM
I'm hearing about a 2 year contract for Kate Garroway to partner Lesley Garrett in the central midfield role.

Getting out of hand. :-D

Wilson
28-02-2013, 03:21 PM

No point charging in if she's got cramp in the box.

lEXO
28-02-2013, 03:25 PM

They will be playing in hoops, furry hoops.

heretoday
28-02-2013, 03:26 PM
No point charging in if she's got cramp in the box.

Trainer called in sick the next day. "A bit stiff....."

heretoday
28-02-2013, 03:33 PM
Hibs new Welsh striker makes her mark - "Jenkins' last gasp bender breaks Hearts".

I can't get enough of this stuff. Maybe there should be a special innuendo forum!

Alternatively, maybe I should just grow up!

green glory
28-02-2013, 03:44 PM
Hibs new Welsh striker makes her mark - "Jenkins' last gasp bender breaks Hearts".

I can't get enough of this stuff. Maybe there should be a special innuendo forum!

Alternatively, maybe I should just grow up!

Does she count as a MILF? A bit young maybe.

Pedantic I know.

heretoday
28-02-2013, 03:58 PM
Does she count as a MILF? A bit young maybe.

Pedantic I know.

Oh sorry do they have to be MILFs? I take it that is older women?

Why do they call him "Big Al" by the way?

Phil D. Rolls
28-02-2013, 04:42 PM
Cardiff Dragons sounds better than Cardiff City imo.

I would not be happy if Hibs changed colours and badge unless there was a clear, rational and intelligent reason to do so that would guarantee to improve the club.

I suppose you could argue that making the club stronger is rational - if it wasn't for the fact you have to destroy the club first!

Just Alf
28-02-2013, 05:47 PM
Oh sorry do they have to be MILFs? I take it that is older women?

Why do they call him "Big Al" by the way?

Errr..... Ummm.......

Anyway..... Back on track

Would feel a bit like we're selling out?

I'd probably get used to it eventually, but wouldn't be happy.

Heedersnvolleys
28-02-2013, 05:58 PM
Hibernian cougars v Cardiff dragons now that would be some game :wink:

green glory
28-02-2013, 06:06 PM
Errr..... Ummm.......

Anyway..... Back on track

Would feel a bit like we're selling out?

I'd probably get used to it eventually, but wouldn't be happy.

Back on track yourself. I'm thinking Suzi Perry on the bench.

WindyMiller
28-02-2013, 06:14 PM
Back on track yourself. I'm thinking Suzi Perry on the bench.

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRxRVwr-MphgdyXSmlgOf4u_EJ6Sfjpa5i-06jee0xO1LfFIEqwdw

sambajustice
28-02-2013, 06:22 PM
If kept pretty much everything the same but changed the home strip to say Red but kept a Green away one? I think I could handle that!

As for the badge, been changed 3 times in my lifetime (30 years) so we don't exactly have affinity with a club crest do we, what difference would another badge change make?

Bishop Hibee
28-02-2013, 06:40 PM
I would never set foot in Easter Road again

This. I would however follow the new Hibernian Football Club retaining the spirit of the old club that disaffected fans set up playing in the East of Scotland League which would eventually successfully apply for SFL membership.

Hibee Ryan
28-02-2013, 06:54 PM
What does changing the kit colour and team name actually achieving? What are Cardiff Dragons gaining?! I don't really understand the move and only see it upsetting fans

down-the-slope
28-02-2013, 09:31 PM
What does changing the kit colour and team name actually achieving? What are Cardiff Dragons gaining?! I don't really understand the move and only see it upsetting fans

Red is seen as a successful colour and lucky (iirc) in far east The Dragon being for similar reasons...where they are seeking to gain sponsors / fans etc - so its about money....