PDA

View Full Version : McFadden/Boyd/Thomson

The Sea-gull
28-02-2013, 08:45 AM
Anyone else a bit puzzled how, with every team in the SPL pleading poverty, two of these three have been able to join their previous clubs whereas one hasn't.

This is not to debate the merits of Kevin Thomson as a signing but it seems that even if we wanted him, we can't afford him. Appreciate it could be that KT is looking for more in terms of wages than the other two but I am puzzled how teams like Motherwell and Killie can afford to sign these sort of players and we can't.

On the face of it, Motherwell and Killie don't have squads which are any worse than ours (in fact Motherwell appear to have a better squad) or any smaller yet they seem to be able to go the extra mile for these signings.

Despite getting bigger crowds than all but two of the current SPL (Celtic and Hearts) and being relaitively similar to another (Aberdeen) we don't seem to have significantly bigger budgets than quite a lot of the other sides who get less through the door and you would think make less £ than us.

Maybe the merits of finishing higher up the league than we have in the last couple of seasons. The difference that 60k a place can make.

Suppose they both sold players in January (Well selling Jamie Murphy and Killie selling Liam Kelly) which will have made the difference.

Jones28
28-02-2013, 08:50 AM
I think we have probably burnt out our entire wage budget tbh, I can see it being a case of him training with us and getting back up to match fitness and signing in the summer.

SMAXXA
28-02-2013, 08:51 AM
I think its a fair point and I have to admit I have thought similar recently aswell. I also think it could be the sign of the times where Scottish football could gradually over the next few years start signing players like these who have gone and made their money and want to come back here to see out their careers.

If Hibs should get the chance to take a signing like this they should jump at the chance IMO.

Beefster
28-02-2013, 09:35 AM
If we weren't bleeding cash on huddies like Kujabi and Kuqi maybe we'd have some left?

TheFamous1875
28-02-2013, 02:18 PM
How much money would we get if we got 2nd place? Or 3rd or 4th or 5th for that matter haha

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Mikey
28-02-2013, 02:20 PM
How much money would we get if we got 2nd place? Or 3rd or 4th or 5th for that matter haha

How much money would we get if the missing 3000 came back?

Last Minute
28-02-2013, 02:23 PM

Think I read somewhere that you get 2.5 m for 2nd place

TheFamous1875
28-02-2013, 02:38 PM

I sure they would come back if we merited 2nd place! Here's hoping, eh? I I think we're good enough, if maybe not consistent enough. Why no though eh? Lets do it! GGTTH
Think about it. 2nd place money plus 3000 extra fans and potentially a cup run AND European fitbaw to follow... Rod could potentially be running a no bad wee business, eh?

ancient hibee
28-02-2013, 02:49 PM
As far as the 3 players are concerned here is your starter for 10

Which club has not gone bust in recent years and has not seen a huge fall in attendance this year.

Which club has not been touted for sale round the pie shops but can't be given away.

Get the answer right and it will explain current signing policies across the SPL particularly in respect of former heroes.

jonty
28-02-2013, 03:08 PM
I sure they would come back if we merited 2nd place! Here's hoping, eh? I I think we're good enough, if maybe not consistent enough. Why no though eh? Lets do it! GGTTH
Think about it. 2nd place money plus 3000 extra fans and potentially a cup run AND European fitbaw to follow... Rod could potentially be running a no bad wee business, eh?

if we made 2nd place i'd expect a sell out every week. That's not going to happen either.

Back to the OP.
Being one of the few teams who were active in the transfer market, we spent money on players we knew we'd need. Clearly Motherwell and Kilmarnock didn't spend as much (if anything) and had money in the bank. Maybe they're taking a gamble (in which case Motherwell in particular should know better.)

If KT wants to play 1st team football at Hibs, he could play in return for meals and training facilities as payment.

Stevie Reid
28-02-2013, 03:20 PM
If we weren't bleeding cash on huddies like Kujabi and Kuqi maybe we'd have some left?

A bit OTT. Fenlon has made 12 permanent signings and the other 10 have improved us, meaning he currently has a better strike rate than any other manager of recent times.

Mowbray made a huge impact but his first 12 signings included Zibbi, Humphrey Rudge, Antonio Murray, Amadou Konte and Sam Morrow.

The Modfather
28-02-2013, 04:30 PM

Crowds are up from last season, only one of two teams to achieve this. Yet you seem to never miss a chance to criticise the fanbase.

Yet to see you comment about our crowds being up this season. Maybe you should afford the fans the same grace as you do Fenlon and acknowledge the progress from the fans. Particularly the context of an increase in attendance after THAT game.

Russell The Dug
28-02-2013, 04:34 PM
Crowds are up from last season, only one of two teams to achieve this. Yet you seem to never miss a chance to criticise the fanbase.

Yet to see you comment about our crowds being up this season. Maybe you should afford the fans the same grace as you do Fenlon and acknowledge the progress from the fans. Particularly the context of an increase in attendance after THAT game.

Well said Frank.