PDA

View Full Version : Player Ratings

The Harp Awakes
27-02-2013, 11:42 PM
Williams - 6 - a couple of decent stops. didn't do anything wrong
Maybury - 5 - caught out a few times by Dayton but otherwise not his worst game
Stevenson - 5 - distribution poor. Not as effective as he has been recently
McGivern - 7 - pretty solid throughout. Attacked the ball well for the 1st equaliser
McPake - 7 - caught out once but otherwise did ok
Claros - 8 - Good 1st half. Shaded a bit at the start of the 2nd then picked up again
Taiwo - 6 - started game well but then faded. Always looking to pass the ball backwards.
Done - 5 - can't understand why he is played on the right. Always cuts inside and passed backwards
Cairney - 5 - a shadow of the player he looked early in the season. Looked sluggish
Robertson - 7 - looks static at times but then bursts into action. Good signing and will get goals.
Griffiths - 8 - brilliant at times but has too much to do. Crying out for a big target man up front

Wotherspoon - 2 - didn't contribute much when he came on
Doyle - 4 - not much time but looked more lively than recently
Harris - 3 - got into decent positions but then chose the wrong option. Decent debut though.

Jonnyboy
27-02-2013, 11:43 PM
McGivern - 7 - pretty solid throughout. Attacked the ball well for the 1st equaliser
Claros - 8 - Good 1st half. Shaded a bit at the start of the 2nd then picked up again
Taiwo - 6 - started game well but then faded. Always looking to pass the ball backwards.
Done - 5 - can't understand why he is played on the right. Always cuts inside and passed backwards
Cairney - 5 - a shadow of the player he looked early in the season. Looked sluggish
Robertson - 7 - looks static at times but then bursts into action. Good signing and will get goals.
Griffiths - 8 - brilliant at times but has too much to do. Crying out for a big target man up front

Harris - 3 - got into decent positions but then chose the wrong option. Decent debut though.

Other than two assists that is :wink:

GJ1875
27-02-2013, 11:51 PM
Doyle struck the shot which hit the post leading to Sparkys equaliser therefore Doyle got the 2nd assist

Sir David Gray
27-02-2013, 11:52 PM
Williams-6

Maybury-6
McGivern-7
McPake-6
Stevenson-6

Taiwo-6
Claros-7
Robertson-6
Done-5
Cairney-5

Griffiths-8

SUBS

Wotherspoon-4
Harris-2
Doyle-3

The Harp Awakes
27-02-2013, 11:55 PM
Other than two assists that is :wink:

He took the corner for the 1st.

For the 2nd Doyle hit the post and Griffiths scored IIRC:confused:

TrinityHibs
27-02-2013, 11:56 PM
Doyle struck the shot which hit the post leading to Sparkys equaliser therefore Doyle got the 2nd assist

Doyle missed the chance which Leigh sorted out for him

Jonnyboy
27-02-2013, 11:57 PM

He took the corner for the 1st.

For the 2nd Doyle hit the post and Griffiths scored IIRC:confused:

True but he was fed the ball by Spoony - not a direct assist technically but a reaction to the comment that he didn't do much when he came on :wink:

LaMotta
27-02-2013, 11:59 PM
True but he was fed the ball by Spoony - not a direct assist technically but a reaction to the comment that he didn't do much when he came on :wink:

Correct - and anyway it should have been a direct assist from Wotherspoon because Doyle should have scored :greengrin

Up The Bracket
28-02-2013, 12:02 AM
Williams - 6 - Didn't have much to do, had no chance with either goal, dealt well with crosses

Maybury - 6 - Let Dayton get by him one time where McGivern cleared it off the line, but aside from that he was solid enough. Hope Hanlon is back for Sunday though.

McPake - 7 - Thought he was quite good, won the aerial battle with Heffernan and injected a bit of life into us in the second half

McGivern - 6 - Scored a goal, stopped a goal, gave away a goal, would be an 8 if he hadn't gifted them a goal.

Stevenson - 5 - Not his usual self, a few slack passes especially in the second half, but he was up against a very good player, not better than the player he had in his back pocket on Sunday though.

Done - 2 - I'm not one to judge players early on, but this guy just isn't good enough, yes, he should be played on the left, but he doesn't take players on and his passing, in the main, is poor, he hid most of the game and offered nothing. Not for me.

Robertson - 8 - Superb. Worked his socks off, even in our poor spells, could have scored 2 and he looks like a real coup.

Claros - 8 - Once again, very good, the main positive we can take from tonight is Robertson and Claros are superb players, worked so hard, we would have lost if he wasn't playing.

Taiwo - 3 - Has been good over the last 2 games, but was poor tonight, is still a better option than Deegan though and sadly this means, Deegan will probably start on Sunday.

Cairney - 5 - Not his self, was good in the first 20 minutes, but wasn't involved enough afterwards.

Griffiths - 8 - By God. What a player. Best player in the SPL outwith Celtic, if we can keep him beyond the summer I will personally go down to Easter Road and **** Rod Petrie. We just have to thank Zaq Ibdal, he's still at Hibs.

Subs

Spoony - 7 - Set up both goals, offered more than Done in the 20 minutes he spent on the pitch, deserves to start on Saturday.

Harris - 7 - Very impressed, hope to see more of him.

Doyle - 3 - Hit the post, won few headers and was offside. Didn't have enough time really.

All in all, a decent point considering what the score was in the 84th minute. Would rather win on Sunday than today.

:flag:

The Harp Awakes
28-02-2013, 12:04 AM

Ok, on reflection, maybe a better comment would have been he gave the ball way to the opposition every time apart from twice:greengrin

TrinityHibs
28-02-2013, 12:06 AM

Agree on the back 5. Thought Claros' passing and decision making dipped but he came back.
Taiwo would have been a 4 for me.
Agree with Done.
Cairney was poor and lacks pace coming back he gets 4.
I didnt see a 7 for Roberston nearer a 5.
I thought the subs all merited a 4 for different reasons although Doyle did miss a good chance again. Of the 3 Spoonie had the greatest influence on the game.

Sir David Gray
28-02-2013, 12:09 AM
Williams - 6 - Didn't have much to do, had no chance with either goal, dealt well with crosses

Maybury - 6 - Let Dayton get by him one time where McGivern cleared it off the line, but aside from that he was solid enough. Hope Hanlon is back for Sunday though.

McPake - 7 - Thought he was quite good, won the aerial battle with Heffernan and injected a bit of life into us in the second half

McGivern - 6 - Scored a goal, stopped a goal, gave away a goal, would be an 8 if he hadn't gifted them a goal.

Stevenson - 5 - Not his usual self, a few slack passes especially in the second half, but he was up against a very good player, not better than the player he had in his back pocket on Sunday though.

Done - 2 - I'm not one to judge players early on, but this guy just isn't good enough, yes, he should be played on the left, but he doesn't take players on and his passing, in the main, is poor, he hid most of the game and offered nothing. Not for me.

Robertson - 8 - Superb. Worked his socks off, even in our poor spells, could have scored 2 and he looks like a real coup.

Claros - 8 - Once again, very good, the main positive we can take from tonight is Robertson and Claros are superb players, worked so hard, we would have lost if he wasn't playing.

Taiwo - 3 - Has been good over the last 2 games, but was poor tonight, is still a better option than Deegan though and sadly this means, Deegan will probably start on Sunday.

Cairney - 5 - Not his self, was good in the first 20 minutes, but wasn't involved enough afterwards.

Griffiths - 8 - By God. What a player. Best player in the SPL outwith Celtic, if we can keep him beyond the summer I will personally go down to Easter Road and **** Rod Petrie. We just have to thank Zaq Ibdal, he's still at Hibs.

Subs

Spoony - 7 - Set up both goals, offered more than Done in the 20 minutes he spent on the pitch, deserves to start on Saturday.

Doyle - 3 - Hit the post, won few headers and was offside. Didn't have enough time really.

All in all, a decent point considering what the score was in the 84th minute. Would rather win on Sunday than today.

You may regret making that statement in bold.

The last person who made a comment like that on here actually had to keep to his forfeit. :greengrin

Although I personally think your one would raise a bit more publicity than the last one which was a bath of beans. :thumbsup:

HibernianJK
28-02-2013, 12:14 AM

Subs

Agree with most bar Wotherspoon and Done. Slightly harsh on Done and Wotherspoon, bar creating Sparky's goal, was terrible. gave the ball away 80% of the time and looked slow.

Up The Bracket
28-02-2013, 12:14 AM
You may regret making that statement in bold.

The last person who made a comment like that on here actually had to keep to his forfeit. :greengrin

Although I personally think your one would raise a bit more publicity than the last one which was a bath of beans. :thumbsup:

:greengrin

I never knew that came about on here, I was just a wee lad then.

Just for the record, even if I wasn't joking. I don't think Rod Petrie would consent it given I am only 16. If I had said John McGlynn however :worried:

The Harp Awakes
28-02-2013, 12:24 AM
Agree with most bar Wotherspoon and Done. Slightly harsh on Done and Wotherspoon, bar creating Sparky's goal, was terrible. gave the ball away 80% of the time and looked slow.

Agreed. Opinions eh? Although Done contributed little in terms of a cutting edge, he was always busy and can't recall him losing possession much. Spoony, on the other hand gave the ball away constantly after he came on but took a corner that led to a goal and put in a cross which indirectly led to a goal.

MWHIBBIES
28-02-2013, 01:01 AM
Williams - Little to do, goals were unreal - 6

Lewis - Solid enough, couple of poor passes but nothing mayor - 6
McPake - See Lewis - 6
McGivern - Brilliant header for our first but should have prevented the second - 6
Maybury - Solid with little to no help from Done - 6

Claros - made their midfield look silly first 45, so much better than anyone else on the park, they put two on him second and we were poorer for it - 8
Taiwo - Impressive first, quiet second - 7
Robertson - thought he was poor although I do like that he actually makes runs into the box, nearly scored twice as well - 5
Done - Tried but nothing worked, didn't cover Maybury anywhere near enough either - 4
Cairney - Looked very unfit and off the pace - 4

Griffiths - 7, tried hard and got the vital second, corners were awful

Wotherspoon - Made a difference, 1 assist - 7
Doyle - Played his part in the second with the hitting of the post - 6
Harris - Done a lot more than Cairney - 6

Ref - didn't have a clue, totally lost - 2

Tyler Durden
28-02-2013, 07:25 AM
I'm surprised at the marks Claros is getting, are people using default settings from previous games?

Thought he was awful last night, passing was poor and continually caught in possession. I think we've seen so many terrible midfielders in recent years that people are falling into the trap of thinking Claros is something special. Very average player IMO.

Overall the 3 central midfielders were a shadow of their good performance at Tannadice. Robertson showed up well at times and hopefully with more games he'll start to put it together for 90 minutes.

Done was very poor, regardless of where he was played. If he can't use his right foot he's not going to offer us much.

NorthNorfolkHFC
28-02-2013, 07:38 AM

Subs

Spoony took a corner for the goal, no great achievement.

His general play when he came on was disgraceful. He gave 99% of his possession away. When Griffiths broke away for that roaster of a shot spoony just stopped and never tried to support. He looked like he had played 70 minutes when he came on.

BSEJVT
28-02-2013, 07:59 AM
I'm surprised at the marks Claros is getting, are people using default settings from previous games?

Thought he was awful last night, passing was poor and continually caught in possession. I think we've seen so many terrible midfielders in recent years that people are falling into the trap of thinking Claros is something special. Very average player IMO.

Overall the 3 central midfielders were a shadow of their good performance at Tannadice. Robertson showed up well at times and hopefully with more games he'll start to put it together for 90 minutes.

Done was very poor, regardless of where he was played. If he can't use his right foot he's not going to offer us much.

Quite honestly staggered by that comment about Claros

They give Claros the ball all the time, because he is the only guy capable of taking it in tight positions and trying to do anything with it.

It takes a special type of player to accept that responsibility and try and do something when he looks up and all he sees is a series of players backs in front of him.

Yes he gave the ball away a few times but every player who plays that role from Scholes to Lampard to Gerrard does also as they need to brave enough to try and do something with it rather than pass it back the whole time.

He is also easily the best tackler in the team as well.

Dont disagree with your other comments though

hibsbollah
28-02-2013, 08:03 AM
Williams 6 No chance with either goals.

Stevenson 5 poorer than of late, distribution off.
McPake 5
McGivern 8 my MOTM even before his goal, chipped in with his standard mistake at the end but still worth an 8 for his allround play.
Maybury 5 Started well first 20 mins but got roasted by Dayton.

Cairney 5 Poor.
Claros 7
Robertson 7
Taiwo 6
Done 6

Griffiths 8

I actually liked Fenlons gameplan, the midfielders took up more attacking positions than recently, and there was lots of early pressing until Killies superior passing started to show. Harris was OK, Spoony was mostly poor but has the knack of getting into the right places to contribute to the goals.

A mixed performance but Unexpectedly good entertainment. :greengrin

clerriehibs
28-02-2013, 08:19 AM
Ok, on reflection, maybe a better comment would have been he gave the ball way to the opposition every time apart from twice:greengrin

Spooner made the difference when he came on. We were crying out for a wide man who could lift his head AND make a forward pass and he did just that. 8/10

Hiber-nation
28-02-2013, 09:06 AM

They give Claros the ball all the time, because he is the only guy capable of taking it in tight positions and trying to do anything with it.

It takes a special type of player to accept that responsibility and try and do something when he looks up and all he sees is a series of players backs in front of him.

Yes he gave the ball away a few times but every player who plays that role from Scholes to Lampard to Gerrard does also as they need to brave enough to try and do something with it rather than pass it back the whole time.

Spot on, can't believe Claros is being criticised for last night's performance, best midfielder by a mile, both in terms of passing and tackling. Man of the match for me.

HibeeN
28-02-2013, 09:14 AM
It looked to me as well that Williams had no chance with the first goal, but someone behind me seemed to think he was at fault and should have saved it amd went on a big rant about him: "ever since he said he was the best keeper in ten years he's been crap! You're an idiot Williams! First St Johnstone then kicking it off Rankin and now this!"

Which I couldn't understand at all. Every player makes mistakes...when a keeper makes a mistake it's more likely to be punished with a goal. But Big Ben is still the best we've had in a long time and we're very lucky to have him, so can't understand why anyone would give him abuse!

HTD1875
28-02-2013, 09:42 AM
Williams - 7 - Didn't have much to do, had no chance with either goal, dealt well with crosses and looked solid throughoutMaybury - 6 - Let Dayton get the better of him a few times and looks shaky, hope Hanlon is back for Sunday though. McPake - 8 - good, won the aerial battle with Heffernan easily and looked solid throughout McGivern - 7 - Scored a good goal stopped a goal but unfortunatly gave away a goal which was the only dot on an otherwise solid performence. Stevenson - 5 - poor, slack passing and looked dodgy especially in the second half Done - 4 - rubbish, didnt add anything to the team at all although he is clearly playing in the wrong position. Robertson - 8 - Superb. Worked hard could have scored 2 goals, some of his touches/turns were brilliantClaros - 8 - class act, stong in the tackle and brilliant on the ball. Taiwo - 3 - Has been good over the last 2 games, but was crap and invisible last night, dreadful when he occaisonly gets into the final thirdCairney - 5 - ineffective, looks like a past it five a side player who comes along does a few nice turns, nutmegs then ends the night in the pub. Griffiths - 9 - Some player impossibile to stop, cant see him staying beyond the summer as hes on another level to the other 21 players on the park Subs Spoony - 6 - Set up both goals, offered more than Done in the short time he spent on the pitch without even playing his best, always looks like hes going to create something and IMO deserves to start on Saturday. Harris - 5 - impressive, lacked confidence to go for goal but looks a good player Doyle - 3 - we looked much more likely to score when he come on, but i think this was more the poor kilmarnocks defences doing rather than doyles.

The_Horde
28-02-2013, 10:09 AM
The English fella standing behind me called Wotherspoon "stinkerspoon".. Gave me a chuckle. Then he went and near enough set up two goals.

big-mo
28-02-2013, 10:29 AM
Ref and asst' Refs, 2, poor games, gave them fouls that he did not give us, all we are looking for is consistency. Also missed two saves by Bell which should have resulted in corners by gave goal kicks. He should also have booked one of their players, not sure who it was, for two handed push on Sparky after the 'not giving the ball back' incident.

Crowd, 2, they were on the players backs almost right from the start. They forced the players into making forward passes rather than allowing them to take their time in finding the right pass.
No wonder they play better away from home. It was only late in the game that they really got behind the team.

Bobo
28-02-2013, 10:54 AM
Williams 6 No chance with either goals.

Stevenson 5 poorer than of late, distribution off.
McPake 5
McGivern 8 my MOTM even before his goal, chipped in with his standard mistake at the end but still worth an 8 for his allround play.
Maybury 5 Started well first 20 mins but got roasted by Dayton.

Cairney 5 Poor.
Claros 7
Robertson 7
Taiwo 6
Done 6

Griffiths 8

I actually liked Fenlons gameplan, the midfielders took up more attacking positions than recently, and there was lots of early pressing until Killies superior passing started to show. Harris was OK, Spoony was mostly poor but has the knack of getting into the right places to contribute to the goals.

A mixed performance but Unexpectedly good entertainment. :greengrin

I agree with your assessment.

McGivern was the only really effective defender last night in a sense of bringing the ball forward. Both full backs and McPakes' distribution is very poor and offers little going forward.

Claros was best in midfield but I still feel he wants too long on the ball and needs to be faster at times.

Sparky is our only threat unfortunately, we have very little from anywhere else and without his contribution we'd be Dundee.

A few poor displays throughout the side last night as Fenlon persists in playing one up front and players out of position, we shouldn't be so negative at home and need to really have a go at teams.

Glad to see the young lad Harris coming on, seen him in the U19's & U20's a few times and he's a good prospect.

Another two points lost at home to a Killie side who were IMO the poorest side to visit Easter Road this season.

patlowe
28-02-2013, 01:44 PM
Crowd, 2, they were on the players backs almost right from the start. They forced the players into making forward passes rather than allowing them to take their time in finding the right pass.
No wonder they play better away from home. It was only late in the game that they really got behind the team.

Unfortunately I have to agree. Booing a new signing for simply passing a ball back to the goalkeeper is embarrassing. Kilmarnock were really difficult to break down, everyone appreciates that can be frustrating, but pressuring our players to punt it to Griffiths is not going to help matters! I want to see our players passing it patiently to stretch the opposition until a space appears, not letting McPake hoof an aimless ball up top because the fans demand it.

BarneyK
28-02-2013, 02:09 PM
Unfortunately I have to agree. Booing a new signing for simply passing a ball back to the goalkeeper is embarrassing. Kilmarnock were really difficult to break down, everyone appreciates that can be frustrating, but pressuring our players to punt it to Griffiths is not going to help matters! I want to see our players passing it patiently to stretch the opposition until a space appears, not letting McPake hoof an aimless ball up top because the fans demand it.

The players done this in the first twenty minutes. After that though, the lack of movement in the final third was alarming.

Tyler Durden
28-02-2013, 06:49 PM

I agree with what you're saying regarding the role Claros plays and I think he's the best we have in that position for now.

My point was that I think our support are over rating him. As a comparison he's nowhere near the player Boozy was, for example. He's caught in possession all too often. He's played in 4 or 5 derbies now and struggled to make any impact. I just think he's very average.

Granted, I appear to be in the minority judging by player rating threads. I just think that we're so used to watching garbage like Pallsson, Osbourne, McBride etc in recent years that people are going OTT re Claros.

I look forward to next year though, a fully fit Robertson and Liam Craig will give us a solid spine.

clerriehibs
28-02-2013, 07:38 PM

I don't believe people were booing because of "simply passing back" ... they were unhappy, VERY unhappy, because there was no movement, no attempting to find space. And a space never simply appears ... the players have to WORK at making it appear. There simply wasn't enough workrate. And I really don't think anyone was looking for a straight and pointless punt to Griffiths.

Fred Perry
28-02-2013, 09:28 PM

100% Agree - best player on the park for us last night - always available for the pass. Unfortunately Killie sussed this and pressed him towards the end of the 1st half and start of the second, this never stopped him wanting the ball. Problem is when he collects in a tight space, makes a turn and opens the game in front he invariably has no one on the same wavelength.

clerriehibs
28-02-2013, 09:50 PM
100% Agree - best player on the park for us last night - always available for the pass. Unfortunately Killie sussed this and pressed him towards the end of the 1st half and start of the second, this never stopped him wanting the ball. Problem is when he collects in a tight space, makes a turn and opens the game in front he invariably has no one on the same wavelength.

True ... I remember Bestie having the same problem at ER!

BSEJVT
28-02-2013, 10:48 PM
I agree with what you're saying regarding the role Claros plays and I think he's the best we have in that position for now.

My point was that I think our support are over rating him. As a comparison he's nowhere near the player Boozy was, for example. He's caught in possession all too often. He's played in 4 or 5 derbies now and struggled to make any impact. I just think he's very average.

Granted, I appear to be in the minority judging by player rating threads. I just think that we're so used to watching garbage like Pallsson, Osbourne, McBride etc in recent years that people are going OTT re Claros.

I look forward to next year though, a fully fit Robertson and Liam Craig will give us a solid spine.

Fair enough, everyone is entitled to an opinion.

FWIW I thought Boozy was exceptional pre injury but I think Boozy's job was far easier than Claros's is as he had a far better standard of player around him and plenty guys adept at finding space and who were willing runners which Claros doesnt.

I also thought Boozy's best position was playing further forward linking up with the forwards ( having more than one option was also certainly a help) whereas Claros sits deeper and doesnt often get beyond the ball.

I think post injury Boozy filled a role more akin to Claros's role now and whilst he fulfilled it very well, partly as a result of his ability and partly for the reasons detailed above, I would argue that he wasnt as brilliant in that role as he was further up the pitch.

Claros's early poor form certainly influences people's perception of him now and I would argue he has the hardest job in the team (maybe bar Griffiths) as he sees so much more of the ball than anyone else, often in tight spaces and tries to spread the play.

Taiwo can look effective and isnt a bad player IMO but its all tippy tappy stuff which is much harder to screw up and less visible when you do.