PDA

View Full Version : Run for the Split (merged)

Billy Whizz
09-02-2013, 09:30 AM
There are 8 games before the split and I think 10 teams (omitting Celtic and Dundee) can claim one of the remaining 5 spots. Noticed that with Ross County winning last night, they move within 2 points of us and level on points with Aberdeen. I think we've got 8 hard games coming up, and we need to win at least 3 of the home ones.
Hibs pre split
Home St Johnstone
Away St Mirren
Away Dundee Utd
Home Kilmarnock
Home Hearts
Away Motherwell
Home Inverness
Away Celtic

Some real tough fixtures and we need really need a result on Monday

coco22
09-02-2013, 09:37 AM
There are 8 games before the split and I think 10 teams (omitting Celtic and Dundee) can claim one of the remaining 5 spots. Noticed that with Ross County winning last night, they move within 2 points of us and level on points with Aberdeen. I think we've got 8 hard games coming up, and we need to win at least 3 of the home ones.
Hibs pre split
Home St Johnstone
Away St Mirren
Away Dundee Utd
Home Kilmarnock
Home Hearts
Away Motherwell
Home Inverness
Away Celtic

All these games look winnable while, on current form, can find reasons to struggle too. Makes for a very interesting and nail biting run in to the season. Am quite confident that we will have a wee push in the right direction as we have hopefully had our dip.

hibs4thecup1988
09-02-2013, 09:39 AM
Hibs pre split

Home St Johnstone 3 1
Away St Mirren 1 0
Away Dundee Utd 0 0
Home Kilmarnock 3 3
Home Hearts 3 1
Away Motherwell 1 1
Home Inverness 1 1
Away Celtic 0 0

The first column is what I would expect us to get, second column is what i THINK we will get...

It is a tough run in to the split and I cannot see us finishing top 6 unless we improve.

PatHead
10-02-2013, 01:30 PM
Had a look at our games before the split and reckon we need at least 12 points to be secure of a place. We have 4 home games against St Johnstone, Kilmarnock, Hearts and Kilmarnock. All of these are winable against competitors for the top 6. (I don't see Hearts making it they have to be viewed as contenders).

We also have away games against St Mirren, Dundee Utd, Motherwell and Celtic.

Doesn't seem a shoe in for wins against that group. It would be a disaster not to make the top half after the start to the season. Anyone else share my concerns?

For what it is worth I think we shall succeed in reaching the top half.

Matty_Jack04
10-02-2013, 01:51 PM
We've got to aim for maximum points out of those home games obviously tomorrow's game and hearts will be tough but we should be looking to take the lot, I'd also be confident of taking at least a point at st mirren and Motherwell.
As long as we've secured top 6 before the last game needing something from Celtic park would be a nightmare

eastterrace
10-02-2013, 02:54 PM
i think we need another 10 points and that would be enough for top 6 as all the other teams will take points of each other, but it would be tight. hope im right cause bottom six would be a disaster.:flag:

basehibby
10-02-2013, 03:07 PM
Had a look at our games before the split and reckon we need at least 12 points to be secure of a place. We have 4 home games against St Johnstone, Kilmarnock, Hearts and Inverness CT. All of these are winable against competitors for the top 6. (I don't see Hearts making it they have to be viewed as contenders).

We also have away games against St Mirren, Dundee Utd, Motherwell and Celtic.

Doesn't seem a shoe in for wins against that group. It would be a disaster not to make the top half after the start to the season. Anyone else share my concerns?

For what it is worth I think we shall succeed in reaching the top half.

Fixed that for Ya :wink:

Re the prospect of missing the top 6 - Disaster? No. Disappointing? Very!

Like you say it's no shoe in but, we have added to the squad in January and hopefully that provides the spark we need to provide a positive end to this season in the league.

DanHFC1875
10-02-2013, 03:10 PM
I think we'll make top six and blunder our way into the semi final of scottish cup. The eternal optimist, signing off. Over.

hibeedonald
19-02-2013, 11:46 PM
5 points separating 2nd to 9th. Saturday is massive! Any of those teams could finish top 6 if luck goes there way. Season will get exciting now I think, maybe see some bigger crowds.

Sir David Gray
20-02-2013, 12:14 AM
We have 6 games before the split and they're all extremely tough. With the exception of Hearts and Dundee Utd, all the sides we're due to play are in the top six and even Dundee Utd are on the same number of points as Kilmarnock, who are 6th.

It will be by no means easy but I think if we manage to get another 7-9 points between now and the split then we'll be in the top six.

M6hibee
20-02-2013, 04:50 AM
It's exciting for sure. Imagine if celtc were not here. Most exciting league ever!

scoopyboy
20-02-2013, 06:55 AM
5 points separating 2nd to 9th. Saturday is massive! Any of those teams could finish top 6 if luck goes there way. Season will get exciting now I think, maybe see some bigger crowds.

Sunday will be massive too, we have three really hard away fixtures before the split.

Jones28
20-02-2013, 09:45 AM
I think any run of fixtures could be seen as a tough run in to the split, that's how tight it is this season.

Baldy Foghorn
20-02-2013, 10:00 AM
Armageddon ooft :faf: :faf:

Take out Celtc and Dundee from the equation, and it looks like the most exciting and intriguing league Season for years......

M6hibee
20-02-2013, 10:24 AM
Armageddon ooft :faf: :faf:

Take out Celtc and Dundee from the equation, and it looks like the most exciting and intriguing league Season for years......

True. Just get rid ay celtc and it would be an exciting league. Ok, no much quality but at least we would have a genuinely competitive league with no stand out

SouthamptonHibs
22-02-2013, 11:18 AM
True. Just get rid ay celtc and it would be an exciting league. Ok, no much quality but at least we would have a genuinely competitive league with no stand out

18 points required and safe passage through to semi finals or heads will role haha

rcarter1
27-02-2013, 10:59 PM
For those who believe that Top 6 is worth achieving, its squeeky bum time. And so ignoring implosions from the teams above...

HIBS.... 39pts.... 0 GD Tentative Prediction: 4 pts FINAL: 43
Baker Boys at Easter Road
The McFadden revival at Fir Park
Butchers Boys at Easter Road
The Copycats at Celtic Park

KILMARNOCK..... 38pts...... +6 GD Tentative Prediction: 5 pts FINAL: 43
St Johnstone (A)
Ross County (A)
St Mirren (H)
Dundee (H)

DUNDEE UTD...... 38pts....... -5 GD Tentative Prediction: 6 pts FINAL: 44
St Mirren (A)
Dundee (H)
St Johnstone (A)
Aberdeen (H)

ABERDEEN...... 37pts....... -3 GD Tentative Prediction: 4 pts FINAL: 41
Motherwell (H)
Celtic (A)
Hearts (H)
Dundee Utd (A)

St Johnstone play Killie and Dundee United. Should both these matches result in draws, it will help keep all three teams down.

Stewboy
27-02-2013, 11:08 PM
Spl this season results wise is a complete lottery!

Hearts hit the skids a bit and Caley going through a poor patch (I think) so they should(?) be chances for a win?

Sir David Gray
27-02-2013, 11:16 PM
It's going to be really tough to call it.

We have a really hard run in before the split as we play the current top three sides...and Hearts. :wink:

Everyone from Motherwell in 2nd down to Aberdeen in 9th will be looking for a place in the top six and with there only being six points separating those eight teams, it's really not possible to say at the moment.

All we can do is try to win our games and hope that when the others play each other, they keep drawing and taking points from each other.

AlbertK86
27-02-2013, 11:22 PM
Unfortunately I believe the two points we were cheated out of on Sunday will see us finish seventh.

The only way I can see us getting in top six is if we beat Hearts ICT and draw with either Celtic or Well

Think Killie will get 7 points and Utd 8 so may come down to goal difference

Still an improvement on last season but slightly disappointing if we don't make it after our early season promise

JMac
27-02-2013, 11:43 PM
It's possible, we could get the top 6, but we need a bit of luck and some decisions from the refs, if we play with the desire that was shown in the final 10 mins of the game tonight we will get top 6.

Bleeds green
28-02-2013, 07:38 AM
Next 4 league fixtures must be the hardest out all mid table teams looking to get into top 6!!

Hearts(h) Motherwell(a) inverness(h) Celtic(a)

Now I'm confident we will beat the yams but form goes out the window on a derby so it's a tough game, great result for Motherwell last night who seem to be the favourites for 2nd, Inverness cd go either way I remember outplaying them in 1st half at ER earlier in season 2-0 up goin on 4 an 2nd half was like watching 2 dif teams we were lucky to walk away wi a point IMO, then Celtic away last game before split speaks for itself

2 wins may well be enough if say 7 points wd see us there

GGTTH

Spike Mandela
28-02-2013, 07:44 AM
Next 4 league fixtures must be the hardest out all mid table teams looking to get into top 6!!

Now I'm confident we will beat the yams but form goes out the window on a derby so it's a tough game, great result for Motherwell last night who seem to be the favourites for 2nd, Inverness cd go either way I remember outplaying them in 1st half at ER earlier in season 2-0 up goin on 4 an 2nd half was like watching 2 dif teams we were lucky to walk away wi a point IMO, then Celtic away last game before split speaks for itself

GGTTH

I'm not sure we have the momentum at the moment to pull off the wins we need to make top six. Home draws like last night are killing us.

Liams
28-02-2013, 07:50 AM
I would be happy with 4-5points out of those games, its a pitty that our last 4games are hard fixtures because i feeel we deserve top 6 this year, its just results against Ross Co and Dundee that let us down. Wee need to go for broke in all gamess but also need to pick up points!!

Bristolhibby
28-02-2013, 07:56 AM
Would you swap bottom 6 for a Guranteed Cup Final spot?

I would.

J

Bleeds green
28-02-2013, 08:01 AM
I'd rather have both TBH why does it have to be one or the other?

Purple & Green
28-02-2013, 08:04 AM
It will be interesting to see the make up of the top 6 and who played who twice at home and once away and vice versa. We've always been told that it balances out with Oldco and Celtic but this season that's not the case anymore.

Liams
28-02-2013, 08:21 AM
I could see 7th and 8th this year getting more points than 5th and 6th after split! Wish there was no split this year, as i can see the table being this close to the last day (apart from dundee and yams). Would of made a great lastday of the season!

number9dream
28-02-2013, 08:57 AM
Last two home games have made it really tough for us...

Of the teams below us, Killie have two away games (St J & Ross Co) followed by home games against St M & Dundee.
Dundee Utd's games look easier as well. St M (a) Dundee (h), St J (a) and Aberdeen (h)
Motherwell, ICT & Ross County all have a game in hand.

I fear we will fall short but predicting results in the SPL this season has been near impossible.

Hiber-nation
28-02-2013, 09:00 AM

GGTTH

If you have a look at the derbies over the years I'm sure that the vast majority go with form. We usually beat them when they are pish :wink:

Dashing Bob S
28-02-2013, 09:15 AM
Not sure our run in is that tough compared to others, apart from the Celtic game. This season has shown that there is one average Scottish team in first place, one abysmal one in 12th, and varying shades of dross from 2nd to 11th. All winnable, all losable, for us and for the rest. The top six is going to be about who is least incompetent.

Jones28
28-02-2013, 09:48 AM
I think we will still make into the top 6 - beat hearts, draw at Motherwell, beat Inverness and we could sneak a point or 3 at park head. 6 is the magic number I think, and we seem to be hitting decent form at the right time

Bristolhibby
28-02-2013, 09:54 AM
I'd rather have both TBH why does it have to be one or the other?

A hypothetical question.

I agree I would want both. But if I had to choose I would take a shot at the Cup.

J

Phil MaGlass
28-02-2013, 09:55 AM
Put it this way, would you rather be playing Hertz or Sellik after the split?
I would be happy with 7th and stuffing them in a couple of weeks and after the split.
Mind you, Europe is still a possibility?

Green Fish
28-02-2013, 10:25 AM
Full attention for Sunday then one game at a time. Boys could win them all, why not? Thats what we should be aiming for and build momentum for Hampden - hopefully!!

LioNeilMessi
28-02-2013, 10:39 AM
Full attention for Sunday then one game at a time. Boys could win them all, why not? Thats what we should be aiming for and build momentum for Hampden - hopefully!!

Bit optimistic but I agree; if Ross County can win four on the trot then why can't we? :thumbsup:

J-C
28-02-2013, 03:05 PM
We should beat the Hearts kids at home, Motherwell are very hot and cold, Inverness may be the only one I don't fancy but need to beat them and Celtic, well we're unbeaten so far.

For me, it's a WDWD, giving us 8 points and 47 in total before the split, then again, what do I know :greengrin just my opinion, we have to be optimistic.

derekHFC
28-02-2013, 03:08 PM
Anyone able to show the league table if Celtic weren't in the league this season?

JeMeSouviens
28-02-2013, 03:11 PM
For those who believe that Top 6 is worth achieving, its squeeky bum time. And so ignoring implosions from the teams above...

It doesn't exactly take much of an implosion from above. There's only 6 pts from 2nd to 9th. Could still realistically be any 5 of those 8 that make it.

rcarter1
28-02-2013, 04:23 PM
It doesn't exactly take much of an implosion from above. There's only 6 pts from 2nd to 9th. Could still realistically be any 5 of those 8 that make it.

This is very true, but the games in hand for me make it pretty unlikely that we will end above any of Ross County, ICT or Motherwell, although St Johnstone are only 2 pts ahead of us. Problem with St Johnstone is that they are playing Killie and Dundee Utd and so if they lose these, our rivals below us are gaining. Draws all round are great in most matches.. hence the dissappointment of our last two games.

hibeedonald
28-02-2013, 04:44 PM
I think we'll beat Motherwell. We do well against the teams that come straight out and attack, like Celtic and Dundee. We beat them 4-0 this season! Can't wait for it, probably my favourite away game, Friday night aswell so should be a cracking atmosphere.

Diclonius
28-02-2013, 05:00 PM
Would you swap bottom 6 for a Guranteed Cup Final spot?

I would.

J

Same.

It's win win either way really - vs Celtic gets us the European place which is pretty much the whole point of finishing near the top, and vs anyone else gives us a massive chance of winning it.

Plus, bottom six will more than likely give us another derby (and no, I don't care about them getting a few more quid :rolleyes:).

S.sct
28-02-2013, 05:14 PM
Just look at how tight the league is between 2nd and 10th. Just takes a wee run of form and your up there. Not the best from us recently but we are unbeaten in 3 and a cup victory on Sunday could just be the bounce needed in the run in (glass half full comment i know)

Sir David Gray
28-02-2013, 09:32 PM
Anyone able to show the league table if Celtic weren't in the league this season?

Motherwell-40
Ross County-40
Inverness-39
Aberdeen-37
Dundee Utd-37
St Johnstone-36
Hibs-35
Kilmarnock-35
St Mirren-32
Hearts-30
Dundee-15

Not much of a change, except Aberdeen would be a lot higher than they are just now, given the fact that they haven't taken any points off Celtic this season and all other sides from 2nd-9th have done.

Purple & Green
28-02-2013, 11:02 PM

I see someone has, but it will be interesting after 33 games.

FWIW I think if we get past Kilmarnock we will finish top 6. If we don't, then we won't.

spike220
01-03-2013, 04:26 AM
12pts before the split, win the cup and 2nd in the SPL.

Doyle will finally deliver the goods!!!

:flag::flag::flag:

KWJ
06-03-2013, 02:26 AM
Hearts (H)
Motherwell (A)
ICT (H)
Celtic (A)

We're one point ahead of Killie & Arabs while two ahead of Aberdeen. The pack are very much on our arse and we've got 4 tough, tough games to come.

A win against the side in 11th is a must but something we've not done in the league for all too long. Then we've got our closing pre split games against three sides above us in the league. How many points do we need from these 4 games?

It'd be rather gutting not to make the top 6 considering where we've been placed all season.

Kilmarnock
St. J (A)
Ross C (A)
St. M (H)
Dundee (H)

At least 6 points are likely there.

Dundee U
St. Mirren (A)
Dundee (H)
St. J (A)
Aberdeen (H)
Could see them picking up at least 9 although losing Russell will be a big blow.

Aberdeen
Motherwell (H)
Celtic (A)
Hearts (H)
Dundee U (A)
Maybe only 4 points here for the Dons makes it tough for them.

Perhaps we should be looking up the table but going by our fixtures I'd be delighted if we could cement top 6 over our next 3 games and have no pressure going to Celtic Park.

Best way to start this off is by stuffing the Yams in front of a packed Easter Road.

Glory Glory! :flag::pfgwa

spike220
06-03-2013, 02:39 AM
Hearts (H)
Motherwell (A)
ICT (H)
Celtic (A)

We're one point ahead of Killie & Arabs while two ahead of Aberdeen. The pack are very much on our arse and we've got 4 tough, tough games to come.

A win against the side in 11th is a must but something we've not done in the league for all too long. Then we've got our closing pre split games against three sides above us in the league. How many points do we need from these 4 games?

It'd be rather gutting not to make the top 6 considering where we've been placed all season.

Kilmarnock
St. J (A)
Ross C (A)
St. M (H)
Dundee (H)

At least 6 points are likely there.

Dundee U
St. Mirren (A)
Dundee (H)
St. J (A)
Aberdeen (H)
Could see them picking up at least 9 although losing Russell will be a big blow.

Aberdeen
Motherwell (H)
Celtic (A)
Hearts (H)
Dundee U (A)
Maybe only 4 points here for the Dons makes it tough for them.

Perhaps we should be looking up the table but going by our fixtures I'd be delighted if we could cement top 6 over our next 3 games and have no pressure going to Celtic Park.

Best way to start this off is by stuffing the Yams in front of a packed Easter Road.

Glory Glory! :flag::pfgwa

Optimistic:

Hearts 3pts
Motherwell 0pts
ICT 3pts
Celtic 1pt

Probably:

Hearts 1pt
Motherwell 0pts
ICT 3pts
Celtic 0pts

Funny thing is they could all be won and if sparky is on fire we could take maximium points.

So I guess anything is possible, hope that clears this up :cb

monktonharp
06-03-2013, 03:03 AM
I'd be more than dissapointed if we dont make the top 6. there are lots of points up for grabs yet and we willl take points of quite a few. sunday might determine how we do , but do remember that others will be scrambling for points. still all to play for, and if we are in the right half,europe beckons.

adhibs
06-03-2013, 06:45 AM
Dundee utds fixtures are a bit worrying. 2 wins for us and our better goal difference would leave them needing them tp pick up 8 to overtake. If we can do this there all we need to worry about

offshorehibby
06-03-2013, 09:13 AM
St Johnstone, Ross Co & Inverness all catchable even before the split

JimBHibees
06-03-2013, 10:33 AM
Think St Johnstone losing last night is a good thing for us however a win in the derby would very much put us in a good position IMO.

danhibees1875
06-03-2013, 11:33 AM
It's going to be tight and the others, particularly united and Kilmarnock, appear to have easier run ins.

Sundays game is a huge. I think if we win it'll fire us up to take 6/7 more pre-split points and put us in a very good position. Defeat however, I can see us ending the season below hearts - a very poor end to our campaign given our start.

Sergio sledge
06-03-2013, 11:47 AM
I reckon we need 6 points from our remaining fixtures to make sure of getting into the top 6. Interestingly, if you take average points over the last 3 games, Dundee United and Kilmarnock miss out and us and St Johnstone get in. If you take average points over the last 5 games, Dundee United and Kilmarnock both get into the top 6 and us and St Johnstone miss out, but if you take the average points over the last 10 games then Dundee United and Kilmarnock miss out and us and St Johnstone get in.

It's squeaky bum time.....