PDA

View Full Version : Matt Done

Hibstrooper
27-02-2013, 10:15 PM
...Cannot play on the right.

Every time he is looking to get it on his left foot. There were a couple of cracking cross field balls out to him tonight but rather than get in behind he had to hold it up so he could use his left foot.

Should have been switched with Cairney as both were having poor games. It would have given us a bit more natural width at a time that Killie were squeezing Claros out the game and we had no plan b

lord bunberry
27-02-2013, 10:18 PM

Every time he is looking to get it on his left foot. There were a couple if cracking cross field balls out to him tonight but rather than get in behind he had to hold it up so he could use his left foot.

Should have been switched with Cairney as both were having poor games. It would have given us a bit more natural width at a time that Killie were squeezing Claros out the game and we had no plan b

I agree he needs to play on the other side. I actually felt sorry for him because playing on the wrong side is making look bad

Hibee87
27-02-2013, 10:18 PM
Spot on. Claros was brill first half but killie soon realised and stated closing him down. Done looks like he might be an effective player IF PLAYED ON THE LEFT!!!!!!

hibee_girl
27-02-2013, 10:19 PM
I agree he needs to play on the other side. I actually felt sorry for him because playing on the wrong side is making look bad

:agree: It's as clear as day he isn't comfortable on the right

aussie_hibee
27-02-2013, 10:21 PM
Agree he should play on left but how there are still pro footballers out there that can't use both feet is beyond me. Just because he is left footed, doesn't mean he can't take the cross field ball on to his right and cross it.

Heisenberg
27-02-2013, 10:34 PM
Felt sorry for him. He was getting the ball in good wide positions but really couldn't use his right foot and kept having to check back inside. Get him on the other wing.

DaveF
27-02-2013, 10:40 PM
Both Done and Cairney had shockers tonight. Both played on the 'wrong' side.

I dont mind trying that tactic just to mix things up but Fenlons persistence with it is becoming a bit of a pain.

HibernianJK
27-02-2013, 10:40 PM
I like Done and also feel for him being deployed on the right. Needs to show what he can really do and wont do that playing somewhere he isn't comfortable

Greendub
27-02-2013, 10:42 PM
Martin Glancy called him a poor mans Ivan

That's when I switched the sound off

LaMotta
27-02-2013, 10:45 PM
Im not sure playing him on the left will make a difference. Three times in the second half Claros had an easy pass available to Done, and he checked back each time refusing to play the pass cause he knew it would be a wasted ball.

HibeeN
27-02-2013, 11:03 PM

People around me were calling him a poor man's Alan O'Brien! :greengrin

Felt really sorry for him, and annoyed at Fenlon's persistence at playing him on the right. He gets into good positions, has pace, and looks like he could be a threat if he was on his stronger foot. But he couldn't go any further forward on his right and always ended up looking backwards for a pass which meant any move just broke down.

Wouldn't be fair to judge him until he gets a run in his proper position.

TrinityHibs
27-02-2013, 11:20 PM
He should play on the left but there is so much more needing done. I feel a rant coming on but its not on a Done thread. If I cant find a better one I'll be back.

Twiglet
27-02-2013, 11:21 PM

I said when I first saw him he reminded me of Sproule (not necessarily a poor mans one) in the way he runs up the wing gets to the 18 yards box and then doesn't really do much with the ball. Early days though, still trying to find his way into the team and the others have got read him and get into position for when he does the runs up the wing.

sbell1875
27-02-2013, 11:26 PM

Every time he is looking to get it on his left foot. There were a couple of cracking cross field balls out to him tonight but rather than get in behind he had to hold it up so he could use his left foot.

I don't think he got past either full back at any point tonight. After initially impressing for me he's became a bit of a passenger in games. I'd get Spoony back in for Sunday as he offers more than Done.

SteveHFC
27-02-2013, 11:31 PM
Done has been pne of our best players in the last few games

LaMotta
27-02-2013, 11:33 PM
I don't think he got past either full back at any point tonight. After initially impressing for me he's became a bit of a passenger in games. I'd get Spoony back in for Sunday as he offers more than Done.

:agree: As proved with Wotherspoon hand in both goals.

Done has been of our best players in the last few games

:confused: Based on what?

Jones28
28-02-2013, 12:46 AM
Surely it makes sense to have cairny on the right and done on the left, corresponding with there better sides?

dmc1875
28-02-2013, 03:32 AM
Fenlon seems to like playing people on opposite sides...

Sproule always on the left... right winger

Done always on the right... left winger

Sproule isnt doing too badly now...

Done should be switched :agree:

Greendub
28-02-2013, 04:22 AM
I don't know why Fenlon doesn't, they should have swapped sides, as neither was really getting anywhere

#FromTheCapital
28-02-2013, 07:32 AM
I like the look of Done, he could be a very useful player but agree with most that we need to switch him to the left

Winston Ingram
28-02-2013, 08:13 AM
Both Done and Cairney had shockers tonight. Both played on the 'wrong' side.

I dont mind trying that tactic just to mix things up but Fenlons persistence with it is becoming a bit of a pain.

The days of players playing on their natural side is very dated. Cairney has been playing on his unnatural side all season and up until Christmas and has been superb.

Done has spent time on the left since he's been here and he's looked just as ineffective there. I don't think he's beat a man since he's been here. The issue isn't being on the wrong side with Done. I fear the issue is he's not good enough

Hibeesforever
28-02-2013, 08:32 AM
Done looks a skillful player but to succeed must get to that bye-line. Left or right it doesn't matter. Wide players must get the bye-line, currently the Hibs ones are not doing that.
Plenty more of time though, season is just starting

DaveF
28-02-2013, 08:36 AM
The days of players playing on their natural side is very dated. Cairney has been playing on his unnatural side all season and up until Christmas and has been superb.

Done has spent time on the left since he's been here and he's looked just as ineffective there. I don't think he's beat a man since he's been here. The issue isn't being on the wrong side with Done. I fear the issue is he's not good enough

Superb until Christmas? I don't agree. I think it's become predictable and while Cairney will go on his left now and again to try and mix things up, in general I think he's been largely sussed as someone you know will drift inside to his right.

I can't recall Done playing much on the left since he's been here. Maybe a half against St J perhaps?

I just don't see the point in the tactic if the players are not comfortable on either foot as it limits their effectiveness in the game.

Golden Bear
28-02-2013, 08:47 AM
Surely it makes sense to have cairny on the right and done on the left, corresponding with there better sides?

Far too sensible.

First we had Danny Galbraith, then we had Ivan Sproule and now we have Matt Done. There's a common theme developing.

heid the baw
28-02-2013, 08:49 AM
Playing the same team twice in 5 days, it sort of makes sense to mix it up a bit.

I reckon Pat knows what he's doing.

thebakerboy
28-02-2013, 08:53 AM
I have said about playing players on their wrong side before and was told that as we don't have a big CF it is a waste of time getting to the byline and sending in crosses but to me it is possible to send in low hard crosses or cut backs to edge of the 18yard box andf this can be a very effective ploy , and certainly better than having players uncomfortable playing on the "wrong Side". It would certainly be more effective than long hoofballs up to Sparky as our esteemed captain seems to prefer.

cabbageandribs1875
28-02-2013, 09:03 AM
Fenlon seems to like playing people on opposite sides...

Sproule always on the left... right winger

Done always on the right... left winger

Sproule isnt doing too badly now...

Done should be switched :agree:

it's to confuse the opposition, problem is it confuses every other **** as well, get wee lewis up front with sparky i say

:)

hibsbollah
28-02-2013, 09:05 AM
I think folk are being a bit hard on Done. He was decent last night, and showed a good first touch as crossfield pass after crossfield pass was getting played to him early on. Theres nothing wrong with leftys playing on the right and vv, and there was clearly a game plan for him to do that, so hes obviously showing the ability to do it in training.

Killies second goal was a prime example of what WE were trying to do early doors.

Hiber-nation
28-02-2013, 09:09 AM
I think folk are being a bit hard on Done. He was decent last night, and showed a good first touch as crossfield pass after crossfield pass was getting played to him early on. Theres nothing wrong with leftys playing on the right and vv, and there was clearly a game plan for him to do that, so hes obviously showing the ability to do it in training.

Killies second goal was a prime example of what WE were trying to do early doors.

Nah, he was poor last night (as was Cairney), fish out of water on the right, didn't play with any confidence and hopefully PF will stick him on the left for his next start.

Speedway
28-02-2013, 01:30 PM
A set up of:

Claros

Robertson Taiwo

Cairney Done

Spanky

doesn't look too bad to me.

southfieldhibby
28-02-2013, 01:41 PM
Done has spent time on the left since he's been here and he's looked just as ineffective there.

Just noticed this after replying to you on the other thread...I can't recall seeing him play there, when was it?

1875Sean
28-02-2013, 01:50 PM
Does anyone who where he played down south?

Golden Bear
28-02-2013, 02:13 PM
Does anyone who where he played down south?

Barnsley.

:agree:

Macaroon
28-02-2013, 02:27 PM
Agree he should play on left but how there are still pro footballers out there that can't use both feet is beyond me. Just because he is left footed, doesn't mean he can't take the cross field ball on to his right and cross it.

A lot of the time it's nothing to do with talent, ability or practice. It's a genetic/mental instinct and in many cases it is too wired into the sub-conscious to be trained out of someone.

I bet professional writers can't write with both hands :greengrin

JimBHibees
28-02-2013, 04:23 PM
Just noticed this after replying to you on the other thread...I can't recall seeing him play there, when was it?

Played for a bit against St Johnstone at home however I think it would be very harsh to be making judgments on anyones ability on the basis of that awful game especially someone just in the door. From what I have seen he is a decent player who has a bit of pace which we are sadly lacking in not convinced he is comfortable on the wrong side.

1875Sean
28-02-2013, 05:15 PM
Barnsley.

:agree:

Yeah i know but when he was there did he play left midfield or right?

Just because he is left footed doesnt mean that is his prefered postion

Golden Bear
28-02-2013, 05:31 PM
Yeah i know but when he was there did he play left midfield or right?

Just because he is left footed doesnt mean that is his prefered postion

Aye sorry - couldnae resist it!

:fishin:

Franck Stanton
28-02-2013, 05:58 PM
A set up of:

Claros

Robertson Taiwo

Cairney Done

Spanky

doesn't look too bad to me.

I know Killie aren't exactly in the same class as Barcelona but still think we will need 11 players to beat them. :wink:

IFONLY
01-03-2013, 02:38 PM
A lot of the time it's nothing to do with talent, ability or practice. It's a genetic/mental instinct and in many cases it is too wired into the sub-conscious to be trained out of someone.

I bet professional writers can't write with both hands :greengrin

Your correct, they usually use pens/pencils