PDA

View Full Version : Wots up Eoin?

RIP
26-02-2013, 08:43 PM
You looked like an exciting player when you joined us. We need you to find your mojo. Two strikers are better than one!

Stevie Reid
26-02-2013, 08:50 PM
He played a full season in Ireland before he signed for is in December 2011, then immediately played another half season at a higher level than he'd ever played before. He looks jaded at the moment, hopefully he's just knackered. Was really excited at how far he could develop, looked a clever player with a good first touch who found good pockets of space at the start of the season.

GlenrothesHibee
26-02-2013, 08:55 PM
A player in development really. He will be a good player for us.

frazeHFC
26-02-2013, 08:56 PM
I really like Doyle, showed against Motherwell at home what he can do infront of goal.....hopefully gets on the scoresheet a few more times this season and i reckon he will be a better player next season.

Scouse Hibee
26-02-2013, 09:01 PM
He never excited me when he arrived and has lived up to my expectations.

Up The Bracket
26-02-2013, 09:23 PM
I'm wondering whether we'll renew his contract, he was very good up until Christmas and I thought he'd get up to around 15 goals for the season but he seems to have tailed off recently.

I'd like him to stay, but if it means we can bring in someone better (hopefully Lyle Taylor who we were linked with in the summer, anyone heard anything?) I'd allow him to leave.

SneakersO'Toole
26-02-2013, 09:25 PM
I think Fenlon will release him. Wouldn't shed a tear personally if he does.

Not good enough IMO.

Stevie Reid
26-02-2013, 09:26 PM

Very harsh.

TheFamous1875
26-02-2013, 09:31 PM
Best match I've seen him play was against Celtic at Christmas. And he was on the right wing, my man of the match. Maybe he should go back there?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Scouse Hibee
26-02-2013, 09:32 PM
Very harsh.

Not harsh mate just my opinion which I have mentioned on here before, he just never struck me as good enough from day one. I hoped he would be able to step up and was happy when he looked like proving me wrong but sadly my first opinion has proved correct in my mind anyway.

3pm
26-02-2013, 09:34 PM
He's worth keeping.

bingo70
26-02-2013, 09:35 PM
Gets in good positions and that's half the battle for strikers, seems to me to be a confidence player and I genuinely think if he can start to play with a bit confidence again he could score a lot of goals for us. That said though we can't afford for him to be missing the amount of chances he has been when he's played recently so although I hope he's here next season i wouldn't be in too much of a rush to get him back in the first team this season.

I think there's similarities (not in appearance) with Connor salmon when he joined killie, I seem to remember him being a bit of a huddy at first but then it just clicked for him, I can see the same thing happening with Doyle at some point.

eastterrace
26-02-2013, 09:37 PM
Best match I've seen him play was against Celtic at Christmas. And he was on the right wing, my man of the match. Maybe he should go back there?

thought he okay against celtic but he missed an easy header and was through on goal and blasted over the bar, so he said if he gets same chance against hearts he would hit the target, what happened he blasted over the bar. he aint got no composure when a chance comes to him:flag:

Greendub
26-02-2013, 09:39 PM

Him on the right, done on the left, cairney in the middle, Claros/Taiwo/Robertson behind

Stevie Reid
26-02-2013, 09:40 PM
Not harsh mate just my opinion which I have mentioned on here before, he just never struck me as good enough from day one. I hoped he would be able to step up and was happy when he looked like proving me wrong but sadly my first opinion has proved correct in my mind anyway.

You don't need me to tell you you are entitled to your opinion SH, I just find it interesting what people see and don't see in different players. I thought he looked like he really had something at first, then dropped off for a bit, but for the first half of this season he formed a really good partnership with Griffiths, and showed clever play backed up with goals. His SPL record is 9 goals in 30 starts, 11 in 33 overall - not bad for someone who had only played as a centre forward for one season before he arrived with us. I'm certainly surprised that you see no quality in him - the last few weeks have been disappointing, but I hope we retain him.

I may be wrong, but when I stated on here a few weeks back that I thought that Deegan slowed the game down too much and didn't have the quality to demand the ball as much as he did, did you then reply and say that you felt that he was always one step ahead of the other players (who weren't moving for him) and that's where things were breaking down? Apologies if I've remembered that wrong, as I say, interesting what different posters see in our players.

LancsHibs
26-02-2013, 09:42 PM

This, he is poor!

neil7908
26-02-2013, 09:50 PM
I think he's suffering at the moment for 2 reasons;

1) The style of football we've been playing recently
2) The fact that he's not Leigh Griffiths

I would hate to be a forward at Hibs at the moment, the Dundee Utd display was very encouraging but we have been creating so few chances recently. He wasn't great the last game he started at St Johnstone but to be fair the vast majority of passes were punts forward where he was expected to win the ball in the air against a commanding centre half. Leigh is capable of moments of pure magic but I would be curious to see how many of his goals have been scored outside of the penalty area. For me Doyle is very much a guy who operates in the box and if we get him a supply of decent chances he'll bag us 15 goals a season. Don't want to be too harsh on Leigh but he tends to be quite selfish sometimes and I think that combined with the lack of support from the midfield up toll recently has left the strikers very isolated.

IMO better players than Doyle would struggle for goals on the current circumstances. For me he deserves another deal but would be good to bring in another forward to provide some competition.

Scouse Hibee
26-02-2013, 09:53 PM
You don't need me to tell you you are entitled to your opinion, I just find it interesting what people see and don't see in different players. I thought he looked like he really had something at first, then dropped off for a bit, but for the first half of this season he formed a really good partnership with Griffiths, and showed clever play backed up with goals. His SPL record is 9 goals in 30 starts, 11 in 33 overall - not bad for someone who had only played as a centre forward for one season before he arrived with us. I'm certainly surprised that you see no quality in him - the last few weeks have been disappointing, but I hope we retain him.

I may be wrong, but when I stated on here a few weeks back that I thought that Deegan slowed the game down too much and didn't have the quality to demand the ball as much as he did, did you then reply and say that you felt that he was always one step ahead of the other players and that's where things were breaking down? Apologies if I've remembered that wrong.

Yes you remember correctly I believe I did say something on those lines about Deegan.

IberianHibernian
26-02-2013, 10:08 PM

I would hate to be a forward at Hibs at the moment, the Dundee Utd display was very encouraging but we have been creating so few chances recently. He wasn't great the last game he started at St Johnstone but to be fair the vast majority of passes were punts forward where he was expected to win the ball in the air against a commanding centre half. Leigh is capable of moments of pure magic but I would be curious to see how many of his goals have been scored outside of the penalty area. For me Doyle is very much a guy who operates in the box and if we get him a supply of decent chances he'll bag us 15 goals a season. Don't want to be too harsh on Leigh but he tends to be quite selfish sometimes and I think that combined with the lack of support from the midfield up toll recently has left the strikers very isolated.

IMO better players than Doyle would struggle for goals on the current circumstances. For me he deserves another deal but would be good to bring in another forward to provide some competition.Agree with all of this . Doyle was doing well until results started to get worse and at same time Leigh lost form - there was a good understanding upfront and BOTH were scoring regularly - but obviously LG is a very special talent so gets picked automatically . Really hope Eoin scores a few more this season to boost his confidence and to secure a new deal though I`m sure a few clubs will be waiting to sign him if we don`t give him a new deal .

Stevie Reid
26-02-2013, 10:13 PM
Yes you remember correctly I believe I did say something on those lines about Deegan.

Cool, I thought so. I think that Doyle's qualities were more obvious than Deegan's when both were playing in winning teams and that Deegan looked much worse than Doyle when playing in Hibs teams that we were struggling (though I do acknowledge that ED has been poor since December). That said, I'm still glad we have Deegan as he can be effective when used correctly.

Anyway, I just thought it was interesting that you saw nothing in Doyle given how you analysed Deegan's performances - here's hoping that they both play a part in a good end to the season for us.

DH1875
26-02-2013, 10:16 PM
I'm not a fan of his I'm afraid. I guess he's on peanuts so maybe keep him around as a squad player but can't see him offering much more.

Speedway
26-02-2013, 10:23 PM
He definitely showed promise earlier in the season and put in huge shifts week after week.

My annoyance with him is that he needs 20 chances to take 1 and that's a luxury we can't afford. No surprise to see him out of the team and hope he comes back stronger.

Danderhall Hibs
26-02-2013, 10:29 PM
I think he's alright. Since he missed a few chances just after Christmas his confidence has dropped and folk are getting on his back a bit more than they were.

Hopefully he can get a goal in Sunday and get back on track for the rest of the season.

hfcpaul
26-02-2013, 10:40 PM
Him on the right, done on the left, cairney in the middle, Claros/Taiwo/Robertson behind

So are u playing 6 in midfield ???

down-the-slope
26-02-2013, 10:41 PM
:rolleyes: PF made clear when he signed that at age and stage he was one for future.

Due to circumstances he was pitched in...did well then sagged.....hardly surprising.....

Saorsa
26-02-2013, 10:43 PM
He never excited me when he arrived and has lived up to my expectations.Glad you're no disappointed :aok:

Russell The Dug
26-02-2013, 10:45 PM
Far far better forwards in the league. If we want to progress Doyle shouldn't be input squad. Could name at least a douzen better forwards than him. Like Stevenson people think he will come good when we can do much much better.

Saorsa
26-02-2013, 10:48 PM
Far far better forwards in the league. If we want to progress Doyle shouldn't be input squad. Could name at least a douzen better forwards than him. Like Stevenson people think he will come good when we can do much much better.Personally I think we should get rid of Stevenson, Doyle and these people :agree:

Russell The Dug
26-02-2013, 10:52 PM
Personally I think we should get rid of Stevenson, Doyle and these people :agree:

If we can spend wages on better players its a no brainer instead of hoping players who would be lucky to get a game in any other side in the SPL come good or be happy with them and there couple of decent games a year.

HFC 0-7
26-02-2013, 10:55 PM
:rolleyes: PF made clear when he signed that at age and stage he was one for future.

Due to circumstances he was pitched in...did well then sagged.....hardly surprising.....

I personally think he is just an average player, we are not creating a lot so his type of player will find it difficult. I find it strange though, a player at 24 almost 25 is being classed as one for the future. Griffiths, taiwo, deegan, done, Stevenson, hanlon, cairney, are all 25 and under and I wouldn't really be classing them as ones for the future, they are all players for now.

cabbageandribs1875
26-02-2013, 11:12 PM

IMO better players than Doyle would struggle for goals on the current circumstances. For me he deserves another deal but would be good to bring in another forward to provide some competition.

this :agree: our forward(s) don't exactly get a great service from midfield imo, sparky must be absolutely knackered as well by the time he gets subbed, oh for the days of a couple of wingers getting to the Goa line and crossing into the box for the forward(s) (sigh) :) not too sure if we should keep him for another 12 months and he could do with 'beefing up' a bit maybe, shave some of the fat off of cairney's erky and transplant it on to doyle :)

Hibs90
26-02-2013, 11:30 PM
He's not had much game time over the past wee while though? That and his contract being up at the end of the season possibly affecting his mindset. Gets knocked off the ball far too easily though for me, which is infuriating at times and costly (lead up to the non-penalty on sunday for example). I'd give him another deal, and get him to bulk up. Then I think he'd be a really good player for us.

Greendub
26-02-2013, 11:40 PM
So are u playing 6 in midfield ???

No haha

Switch between Claros, Robertson and Taiwo

Or maybe nobody will notice :-)

sadtom
27-02-2013, 12:02 AM
I still think there is potential there. I think he would be more suited to playing in a forward 2, around a good target man, say a Mixu or a Brewster (or maybe a Daly?? Unfortunately not a Kuqi!!!) it could give us another option.
He's reasonably quick, his movemnent is pretty decent and he appears to be the sort of lad who is prepared to put in a shift, but more importantly looks like he wants to listen, learn and work on his game.
I reckon his goal every 3 games is a decent return for a guy still learning and maybe not being played in his prefered role for much of the time.
I'd also note that while Leigh has been outstanding for us, he's not the most unselfish of strikers (rightly so much of the time), and although Eoin has missed a few i dont think he's had huge amount of clear cut chances.
No doubt he's had a dip in form and like Meeko said i think he was badly at fault for the equaliser on sunday, after loosing the ball so cheaply on the halfway line. Though to be fair i dont think being the lone striker, and holding up the ball is a strong point.
As previously said he probably aint a high wage earner and there is maybe a goal scorer there.
I'd say a work in progress and would hold on to him for another season after this and see how he develops.

Just_Jimmy
27-02-2013, 12:38 AM
He's under rated. He's tired, this nonsense about only having 2 strikers has burnt him out. We've been lucky griffiths has lasted this long too.

greenlex
27-02-2013, 01:23 AM
Needs to bulk up and be stronger. Too lightweight for me.

HibeeMG
27-02-2013, 02:31 AM
He just doesn't have "it" to be an effective forward I'm afraid.

Throughout the season he has backed into defenders when the ball is in the air. This inevitably ends up with him falling down claiming that the defender was over his back. The fact is he just doesn't jump at all.

Against St Johnstone, twice Leigh put crosses into that area between defenders and goalkeepers. Both times ED was on his heels and the balls were cleared easily. Any forward worth their salt would be busting a gut to get in that position.

Don't even get me started on his composure in front of goal!

IWasThere2016
27-02-2013, 05:15 AM
He's under rated. He's tired, this nonsense about only having 2 strikers has burnt him out. We've been lucky griffiths has lasted this long too.

This. No new striker in January will come back to bite.

NORTHERNHIBBY
27-02-2013, 06:25 AM
Hopefully Pat will be asking him what is wrong. I said after the game that he looked more tired than some of the players that had started. Outwith that game though, although 4-5-1 hasn't helped, players need to catch the managers eye either in training or in whatever game time he gets. Had he done that and had PF liked what he has seen, Doyle would be starting and would be offered s new real.

hibsbollah
27-02-2013, 06:59 AM
Hes like a new, bad, signing. I liked him a lot when he started; as someone else said his strikerate was about one in three, if you took penalties out of the equation he'd be up there with Griffiths. But hes been poor for months now.

The problem now is 451 is clearly our formation of choice. With better midfielders arriving now his chances are getting limited.

Fergus52
27-02-2013, 07:02 AM
Far far better forwards in the league. If we want to progress Doyle shouldn't be input squad. Could name at least a douzen better forwards than him. Like Stevenson people think he will come good when we can do much much better.

There aren't "a douzen" forwards that have scored more than him in our league.

HibeeN
27-02-2013, 09:33 AM
There aren't "a douzen" forwards that have scored more than him in our league.

Agreed. There is no denying his form has been poor as of late, but he still has 8 goals so far this season. That's comparable to players like Sheridan, Heffernan, Daly, who are all on 9. He is definitely not a player to give up on, and I think his earlier season performances (not just goals, but assists, movement and intelligent link-up play) are proof that he does have something to offer the team. I don't know what has caused his slump in form, maybe fatigue, maybe the lack of creativity, but hopefully he can regain some of his confidence and composure and chip in with a few more goals by the end of the season.

I like him as a player, and would be disappointed if he were to leave.

Bukta#8
27-02-2013, 09:52 AM
Crises in confidence IMO needs to work on heading ability

Bukta#8
27-02-2013, 10:06 AM
Crises in confidence IMO needs to work on heading ability

3pm
27-02-2013, 10:45 AM
There's definitely ability there.

Frogga
27-02-2013, 02:41 PM
I think we're flattering ourselves if we think he's not good enough for us. If we keep ditching these sorts of players we'll never settle as a team. Look at motherwell for example...very few of their players would get into our team yet they've finished top 6 for so many years now. Players like griffiths are going to move on but doyle could provide us with years of good service.

Scouse Hibee
27-02-2013, 03:07 PM
]I think we're flattering ourselves if we think he's not good enough for us. [/B]If we keep ditching these sorts of players we'll never settle as a team. Look at motherwell for example...very few of their players would get into our team yet they've finished top 6 for so many years now. Players like griffiths are going to move on but doyle could provide us with years of good service.

:wink: What do you mean.

Andy74
27-02-2013, 03:11 PM
Doyle has done pretty well for us. Moving the formation a bit recently has meant he hasn't played much, but when he has done regularly enough he has scored a few.

wheniwas5
27-02-2013, 05:18 PM
we keep saying give him time , but he doesnt put away enough chances and
his giving the ball away on sunday and not tracking back to try and win it back,
looked to me if he wasnt intrested.
not good enough for me

GlenrothesHibee
27-02-2013, 05:28 PM
Bet he scores tonight

sesoim
27-02-2013, 08:28 PM
This. No new striker in January will come back to bite.

It was already biting us in November. But Fenlon didn't think it was a priority.

blackpoolhibs
27-02-2013, 08:39 PM
It was already biting us in November. But Fenlon didn't think it was a priority.

He tried for a couple of forwards in the window? :confused:

Holmesdale Hibs
27-02-2013, 08:48 PM
I think he looks alright. Apart from Griffiths, can anyone name a striker we've had in recent years that's significantly better?

Not a superstar but looks SPL class and could develop. I'd keep him for the time being

Dashing Bob S
27-02-2013, 08:49 PM
If we're playing 4-5-1 we need more pace in the midfield.

Twiglet
27-02-2013, 10:36 PM
I thought he made an impact when he came on tonight. Really livened up the Hibs play.

down-the-slope
27-02-2013, 10:56 PM
I thought he made an impact when he came on tonight. Really livened up the Hibs play.H

His shot off the post that screwed kindly for Sparky to pop in the equalizer or instance :greengrin

Tyler Durden
28-02-2013, 06:31 AM
If we're sticking with 4-5-1 then get Doyle back in one of the wide roles. Either pushing Cairney infield or just bench Done.

Given that we inevitably resort to high balls at times, Doyle is better in the air (despite what some say) and gets himself into the box to support Sparky.

HibeeMG
28-02-2013, 07:07 PM
If we're sticking with 4-5-1 then get Doyle back in one of the wide roles. Either pushing Cairney infield or just bench Done.

Given that we inevitably resort to high balls at times, Doyle is better in the air (despite what some say) and gets himself into the box to support Sparky.

No, nae, never!