PDA

View Full Version : Chris McLaughlin

JohnStephens91
25-02-2013, 03:23 PM
'Senior' reporter at the BBC stated at Napier today that 'Scottish football is dead' :rolleyes:

Unfortunately I wasn't there due to other committments and I wish now that I was to tear into him. Scottish football journalism is all about the negatives rather than the positives and this is the worst of the worst now. If you look at how exciting the SPL is this season and as far as I'm aware increased attendances at most SPL clubs shows why the game is still alive and kicking.

Yes we don't have any players as good as Sauzee or Larsson but the game is most certainly not dead. Poor comments from a poor journalist looking to sound the death knell of Scottish football.

Vini1875
25-02-2013, 03:41 PM
Yes but to most of them Scottish football is only the OF, beyond that they do not care.

HUTCHYHIBBY
25-02-2013, 03:43 PM
He has a point from a finance point of view tho.

Sylar
25-02-2013, 03:51 PM
I agree that as the senior media representative of the BBC Sporting voice in Scotland, he (and his colleagues across all mediums) should be putting more effort into trying to build our game up rather than trash it at every juncture.

However, I equally find it hard to disagree with his sentiment.

Purple & Green
25-02-2013, 03:52 PM
'Senior' reporter at the BBC stated at Napier today that 'Scottish football is dead' :rolleyes:

Unfortunately I wasn't there due to other committments and I wish now that I was to tear into him. Scottish football journalism is all about the negatives rather than the positives and this is the worst of the worst now. If you look at how exciting the SPL is this season and as far as I'm aware increased attendances at most SPL clubs shows why the game is still alive and kicking.

Yes we don't have any players as good as Sauzee or Larsson but the game is most certainly not dead. Poor comments from a poor journalist looking to sound the death knell of Scottish football.

It's just words...and I don't know the context, but, Scotland hasn't qualified for a major tournament in 15 years and our sides no longer do anything in Europe. Top quality players don't come here now and the gap between the haves and the have nots in European leagues is now massive.

Personally, I wouldn't have used the word 'dead' but there has been a massive realignment of the footballing countries in Europe; for several reasons. Scotland will qualify for a major tournament again, but they won't ever qualify for five world cups in a row; and when we do qualify it won't be with many players playing in our home league because when we do produce players capable of qualifying they'll up sticks for the money very quickly.

Hibs won't play in the European Cup semi Finals and Dundee United won't make the Europa League Final let alone Aberdeen, The Rangers or Celtic winning a Euro Tournament.

We've been downgraded, massively, in relative terms. What the long term effect will be on our game, I don't know but I do suspect that when The Rangers and Celtic fans click onto this they will disappear in their droves.

hibsbollah
25-02-2013, 03:57 PM
It's no surprise, sadly. The reaction of almost all Scottish football journalists to the Rangers zombie show has been to hammer the product thats left, whether it's justified or not. Witness Chick Youngs prediction that all SPL clubs were doomed at the start of the season, and that multiple administrations would follow Rangers. Witness his joy when he reported on Kilmarnock and Dunfermlines troubles. 'look at me! Look at me! Told you so!' he was saying. And this is the problem. Journalists stake their reputations on their ability to tell us what we don't know and predict the future. Therefore the likes of Young, McGlaughlin and Traynor will be reporting the demise of our sport, whether it is actually happening or not. It doesn't matter that Hibs' attendances are actually UP this season, Craig Paterson or someone on BBC Radio Scotland before the Arabs game was getting ripped into our stay away fans, as if that's the most revealing or interesting thing to be talking about in relation to Scottish football. The facts don't matter, it's all about sticking to their narrative so they prove themselves right.

oregonhibby
25-02-2013, 04:34 PM
The problem with second hand reporting is you can never be sure about what was said exactly if you weren't there.

NORTHERNHIBBY
25-02-2013, 04:37 PM
Not wanting to bang on the cliche drum, but this the opening phase of plan b, where plan a to get Sevco straight back into the SPL failed.

Paisley Hibby
25-02-2013, 04:41 PM
I agree that as the senior media representative of the BBC Sporting voice in Scotland, he (and his colleagues across all mediums) should be putting more effort into trying to build our game up rather than trash it at every juncture.

However, I equally find it hard to disagree with his sentiment.

Can't agree with you on the bit in bold - surely his job is to report fairly and acccurately not build it up?

Scotttish foootball is not dead - but I think it IS going through a painful readjustment to find its true level and value - a bit like the housing market.

CallumLaidlaw
25-02-2013, 05:10 PM
We get upset with the English media talking their game up but it seems to have helped their game in that its the biggest league in the world now. Maybe our journos should try bigging our game up rather than knocking it down. It's their livelihood at the end of the day.

Malthibby
25-02-2013, 07:10 PM
Regan in disguise? Traynor alter-ego?
Meybes he should pesh off to Engerland, or indeed anywhere else.
GTF.

JohnStephens91
25-02-2013, 07:12 PM
The problem with second hand reporting is you can never be sure about what was said exactly if you weren't there.

I was told by my dissertation supervisor, another lecturer and a couple of people on my course. A podcast will be available later where we can hear it for ourselves. The guy is a grade A *****.

Hibee Ryan
25-02-2013, 07:13 PM

It's people like him that have the power to make the SPL sound exciting and interesting but don't that are hurting Scottish football.

How are outsiders meant to get interested in it when the places that they'll look (bbc sport) and such are so negative about it?? Yes it's not as good as 10 years ago but Scottish football is facing reality and when English football has to do that in 20 or so years they'll feel it exactly the same

FranckSuzy
25-02-2013, 08:51 PM
I was told by my dissertation supervisor, another lecturer and a couple of people on my course. A podcast will be available later where we can hear it for ourselves. The guy is a grade A *****.

:tsk tsk:

Jonnyboy
25-02-2013, 09:02 PM
McLaughlin is a raving Jambo so he'll know about football being dead :wink:

degenerated
25-02-2013, 09:08 PM

Absolutely, and that's why he's saying this. Much like the hunpathisers at the BBC were telling us the same when their team went pop.

clerriehibs
25-02-2013, 10:01 PM
He has a point from a finance point of view tho.

Which will result in clubs restructuring themselves. But if it's true that crowds are on the up in many cases, then he most certainly doesn't have a point.

Don Giovanni
25-02-2013, 11:03 PM

I'm pretty sure BRIAN McLaughlin is a slavering, hard-of-thinking Jambo but CHRIS McLaughlin as well? I was under the impression CHRIS was from the West somewhere?

Regardless, he has shown himself to be an ignorant erse coming away with contrived tripe like "Scottish football is dead"....
.... a sharper analysis might be that "the Glasgow-centric Scottish sports media are being exposed as being wholly inadequate"

Jonnyboy
25-02-2013, 11:05 PM
I'm pretty sure BRIAN McLaughlin is a slavering, hard-of-thinking Jambo but CHRIS McLaughlin as well? I was under the impression CHRIS was from the West somewhere?

Regardless, he has shown himself to be an ignorant erse coming away with contrived tripe like "Scottish football is dead"....
.... a sharper analysis might be that "the Glasgow-centric Scottish sports media are being exposed as being wholly inadequate"

Shoot ... yer right :greengrin

Sylar
26-02-2013, 10:31 AM
Can't agree with you on the bit in bold - surely his job is to report fairly and acccurately not build it up?

Scotttish foootball is not dead - but I think it IS going through a painful readjustment to find its true level and value - a bit like the housing market.

I think they're 2 quite exclusive duties in all honesty.

Of course they have the job to fairly report and remain true to fact but how many sport media personalities have we seen with opinion pieces (be it in columns, radio discussions or public presentations such as the one being described in the OP) where these guys just love to put the boot in with their predictions of implosion.

We should be talking about ways to rejuvenate, excite, promote and get people involved or interested...not repeating the same old tired criticisms of the status quo.

HUTCHYHIBBY
26-02-2013, 10:46 AM
Which will result in clubs restructuring themselves. But if it's true that crowds are on the up in many cases, then he most certainly doesn't have a point.

If the thread re crowds is accurate and I've no reason to believe it's not, it would appear he does have a point, though its not as bad as could've been expected.

Part/Time Supporter
26-02-2013, 11:14 AM
http://edinburghnapiernews.com/2013/02/25/media-mondays-chris-mclaughlin-25-02-2013/

Dan Sarf
26-02-2013, 12:24 PM
Not wanting to bang on the cliche drum, but this the opening phase of plan b, where plan a to get Sevco straight back into the SPL failed.

Spot on.

Cropley10
26-02-2013, 12:37 PM
McLauglin's a Tim apparently. A large part of the problem we have is that the MSM are terrified of Rangers and a backlash against any negative press.

This is then compounded by the fact that Scottish football is now referred to in completely negative terms since the Hun went bust.

The reality is though that whether The Rangers are in the SPL or SFL3 only makes a marginal difference to the game as a whole.

What the MSM are perpetuating the perception that Scottish football is 'dead' because The Rangers are in the bottom tier.

oregonhibby
26-02-2013, 01:00 PM

Just listened to it. I thought he was very good at explaining what his job was. I will listen again but I did not hear him say "Scottish Football is dead" I might be wrong and if I am I stand corrected.

I thought the advice he gave was sound to a class of potential journalists. He did say his job was not to be a cheerleader but report what was said - he said in relation to the story on league reconstruction that if Switzerland thought it was good he would have reported it that way. He was candid about the need to be impartial because if you are not you will not last, especially at the BBC. He was clear that the medium drives reporters to get an angle or a story and that is what he does. He was also clear that you cannot be too friendly with anyone because you might have to write a report that might upset them.

All in all I thought it was a good insight into the work of a journalist.

Hibercelona
26-02-2013, 01:42 PM
Wasn't the Scottish game dead along time ago, even before Rangers met their doom?

Interesting that they're only just coming out with these comments now....