PDA

View Full Version : Mcgivern quality?

M6hibee
25-02-2013, 12:13 PM
All I have seen is praise for this young man, but I can't see it. Good quality wingers can expose him, he very rarely wins aerial challenges and is prone to daft challenges that put us under pressure. What happened yeaterday was a shocking error but not surprised it was mcgivern was at the heart of it. Sorry, it maybe tin hat time but I just don't reckon him personally.

JohnStephens91
25-02-2013, 12:16 PM
All I have seen is praise for this young man, but I can't see it. Good quality wingers can expose him, he very rarely wins aerial challenges and is prone to daft challenges that put us under pressure. What happened yeaterday was a shocking error but not surprised it was mcgivern was at the heart of it. Sorry, it maybe tin hat time but I just don't reckon him personally.

I rate him, I think he is good on the ball and shows a willingness to get forward and join in attacks whenever possible. He is prone to the odd mistake, like most players are, but I think he is better at centre-back than left-back.

Mikey
25-02-2013, 12:17 PM

Is there anything positive at all about Hibs?

pentlando
25-02-2013, 12:18 PM
I think you're possibly being a bit harsh there. I think McGivern is excellent in the air and is great on the ball going forward. The one area I agree with you is he has the tendency to make rash challenges, and often with the wrong foot. He got away with one yesterday after giving away the penalty against St Johnstone. He's made two bad challenges in the last few games, but over the season has been solid and dependable for us.

poolman
25-02-2013, 12:19 PM

Deary bloody me

First it was chicken dances and ****** bibs and now this keech :rolleyes:

Saorsa
25-02-2013, 12:20 PM
All I have seen is praise for this young man, but I can't see it. Good quality wingers can expose him, he very rarely wins aerial challenges and is prone to daft challenges that put us under pressure. What happened yeaterday was a shocking error but not surprised it was mcgivern was at the heart of it. Sorry, it maybe tin hat time but I just don't reckon him personally.I never really noticed how bad he actually was until you posted all of that. :agree:

ronaldo7
You should just remove the ?

M6hibee
Is there anything positive at all about Hibs?
Aye there is and I find it confusing you jump from criticism of one player to insinuate I'm a doom and gloom merchant. Strange. I really enjoyed yesterday's display and feel if we can be brave enough to press and attack like that we will win more than we lose and we have a bright future. I just don't personally feel mcgivern is as good as some would make out

#FromTheCapital
25-02-2013, 12:21 PM
McGivern has a lot of quality, he is above our usual standard and will go on to bigger and better things imo. I've said it a few times on here but I reckon he would be a better midfielder than a defender as he looks really good going forward but he has had a few costly mistakes in defence

M6hibee
25-02-2013, 12:21 PM
Deary bloody me

First it was chicken dances and ****** bibs and now this keech :rolleyes:

You would know about keech I guess

Steve20
25-02-2013, 12:22 PM
McGivern is a very good player. Our best defender, imo.

M6hibee
25-02-2013, 12:25 PM
Any way just an opinion. Think ill leave this thread, which I regret starting, before I get accused if being a yam!

scoopyboy
25-02-2013, 12:25 PM
It's all part of the master plan so nobody else wants him and we then sign him on a 3 year deal.

Aldo
25-02-2013, 12:26 PM
McGivern is quality and after watching him yesterday, bar his silly trip, for me confirmed that he is. Never flustered or panicked on the ball and got up the park. Would love to see him signed up long term.

Diclonius
25-02-2013, 12:27 PM
I think someone's in line for the ****** bib..

Wilson
25-02-2013, 12:27 PM
It's all part of the master plan so nobody else wants him and we then sign him on a 3 year deal.

Well we need to try harder then. He (defensively) had an off day by his own standards yesterday but he still looked quality to me.

hibsbollah
25-02-2013, 12:34 PM
The thing about McGivern is hes confident, so he sees a lot of the ball. He's not a 'quick someones passed the ball to me so i must get rid of it quickly before i make a mistake' sort of fullback. He'll try onetwos, beating a player with pace and intelligent through balls. He'll also take chances to make interceptions rather than sit behind the attacker. So sometimes it can look like he makes the odd mistake. Thats the only explanation i can think of for you missing his quality :dunno:

Aldo
25-02-2013, 12:34 PM

Like yur thinking Scoops. Get Williams on extended deal and both Leigh and McGivern in 3 year deals.

I really do hope Leigh sees that his short term future (at least 3 years) lies at ER.

His performance yesterday showed that with his hard work and effort along with his undoubted ability has the making of a Legend at the club.

Broken Gnome
25-02-2013, 12:35 PM
He wins the vast majority of Ben Williams' kick outs, so the aerial ability criticism isn't fair.

You don't get many perfect full backs, very few will be able to deal with every wingers they face. McGivern's fine, and still young. Being caughtnout by Humphrey or Mackay-Steven doesn't make him a bad player.

JimBHibees
25-02-2013, 12:36 PM
all i have seen is praise for this young man, but i can't see it. Good quality wingers can expose him, he very rarely wins aerial challenges and is prone to daft challenges that put us under pressure. What happened yeaterday was a shocking error but not surprised it was mcgivern was at the heart of it. Sorry, it maybe tin hat time but i just don't reckon him personally.

ltyf

hibsmad
25-02-2013, 12:39 PM
Any way just an opinion. Think ill leave this thread, which I regret starting, before I get accused if being a yam!

I wouldn't take it personally mate. I just think that there are posters on here who are not prepared to have anything even remotely critical posted - especially after a good performance.

This is a forum for Hibs fans to post their opinions on all things Hibs. You are a Hibs fan and that is your opinion so I don't see the problem.

For what it's worth I also disagree with you though as McGivern is quality :greengrin

Sir David Gray
If he had no flaws, then he would be in Manchester City's starting line up instead of being out on loan.

He is a very good young player who has the potential to go quite a long way in the game and he is one of the best defenders we have had for quite some time.

Let's just enjoy seeing him perform for Hibs whilst we still can.

danhibees1875

Not read the other replies, but...

He is one of our best options in the air. Pay attention next time Williams launches a ball up the left wing; he's there and he'll win it.

Shocking error? He done the right thing, ref cocked it up. Last 5 minutes of the game, guy gets past the defender and is heading into the box the right thing to do is take him down, take the booking and defend the free-kick.

He's a quality player and I'd be delighted if we got him after this loan spell. :agree:

onionman
25-02-2013, 12:47 PM
I think he is a little overrated I don't really think he is as good as some make out and he does give away silly fouls at times. I suppose it's because he is a clear improvement on the utter garbage we have endured over the past few seasons that he is viewed better than he is. However I do think he does have decent plus points, is generally compentant and I would be happy enough to see him make the move permenent.

HH81
25-02-2013, 12:56 PM
I actually think he is better at center back.

Guy who watched game at mine yesterday said he was worst hibs player. I didn't really agree to be fair.

madabouthibs
25-02-2013, 12:57 PM
I think he's pish. Get rid of him. We don't need passengers. Also, why did we keep Sparky anyway? He's gash tae!
In fact, Hibs are crap, get rid of them all!

LeighLoyal
25-02-2013, 01:05 PM
McGivern just forgot how bad the referees are up here. Honest mistake.

Scouse Hibee
25-02-2013, 01:14 PM

If that's your opinion of him then fair enough mate, my own personal opinion is that he lacks consistancy but has shown glimpses of what looks to me like a very good player. Opinion is just that so I wouldn't worry about responses contrary to your own opinion.

silverhibee
25-02-2013, 01:23 PM
I think someone's in line for the ****** bib..

Or. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWjeITmDmmo :greengrin

kentao
25-02-2013, 03:17 PM
McGivern has a lot of quality, he is above our usual standard and will go on to bigger and better things imo. I've said it a few times on here but I reckon he would be a better midfielder than a defender as he looks really good going forward but he has had a few costly mistakes in defence

I agree. The boy has put in some great crosses when he gets forward we just need a big man in the box or a few of the midfielders gambling.

IanM
25-02-2013, 03:30 PM
I thought he performed well yesterday. if the ref had gave a free kick instead of a penalty and they missed we'd be calling it a 'professional foul' and probably patting him on the back for stopping the attack with the foul.

he seems hungry to be involved, he looks desperate to score too which is always a good thing. he had a dig (which was pretty wild) he was in their box on a few occasions going forward and he was stretching to poke McPake's header over the line for our equaliser.

he has made mistakes but our whole team has done that this season. some smarter refereeing yesterday was all that was needed.

no dig at the OP - i agree sometimes ive wondered how good he actually is but going on yesterday id say potentially rather good.

The Voice Of Reason
25-02-2013, 03:34 PM

The bit in bold - if you think that he "very rarely wins aerial challenges" then you clearly don't go to the games (or you need glasses!)

McGivern is quality in my opinion, an excellent player and we are lucky to have him.

I am all for people expressing opinions, but in this case yours is a load of nonsense (IMHO!) :aok:

HUTCHYHIBBY
25-02-2013, 07:08 PM

If the ref had awarded a free kick instead of a penalty I'd wager this thread would be non-existant.

M6hibee
25-02-2013, 07:16 PM
If the ref had awarded a free kick instead of a penalty I'd wager this thread would be non-existant.

Believe what you like

Since90+2
25-02-2013, 07:16 PM
He's a better center half than a full back and IMO the best defender at the club.

PF probably knows this but McGivern is more adaptable than Hanlon and can also play the full back role reasonable well (which Hanlon is terrible at). Also my gut instinct is he will move to a Championship team in the summer and PF is looking to have a settled center back pairing for next season aswell hence he is going with McPake & Hanlon.

Also he is brilliant in the air, not sure which games people have been watching to think otherwise.

Saorsa
25-02-2013, 07:18 PM
He's a better center half than a full back and IMO the best defender at the club.

PF probably knows this but McGivern is more adaptable than Hanlon and can also play the full back role reasonable well (which Hanlon is terrible at). Also my gut instinct is he will move to a Championship team in the summer and PF is looking to have a settled center back pairing for next season aswell hence he is going with McPake & Hanlon.

Also he is brilliant in the air, not sure which games people have been watching to think otherwise.you must need tae go tae specsavers as well :faf: same as me :thumbsup:

Hibee Ryan
25-02-2013, 07:21 PM
The thing with McGivern, I think anyway, is that when he plays well he's a joy to watch and more often than not the best player on the pitch but when he plays badly he almost tries to hard to play better and gets caught wondering from position which can cost him.

He's only going to get better and he'll be a very very good player in 5 years and will be in the EPL.

PeterboroHibee
25-02-2013, 07:34 PM

Yesterday he tripped up a player on the edge of the box. GMS is a tricky player and has got the better of many defenders. McGivern made the right call to trip him up after he was beaten imo, it was a poor decision by the ref that cost us.

I think your general assessment of him is also way off the mark. I dont know if you watched the game yesterday, but nearly every goal kick or long ball from the defence was targeted at him, and I cant really remember him not winning one of them. In the first half especially, the majority of our really positive play came down the left with Cairney, McGivern and Griffiths. Hes good on the ball and doesnt seem to panic under pressure (at one point yesterday he spun out of a tight situation, was a very nice bit of skill). Hes a really important part of our team and the defence looks a lot more solid than in recent years with him in it.

GlenrothesHibee
25-02-2013, 07:46 PM
He'll have had the ****** bib on in training today after that foul on GMS

FranckSuzy
25-02-2013, 07:50 PM
He'll have had the ****** bib on in training today after that foul on GMS

:tsk tsk:

jdships
25-02-2013, 08:04 PM
As Alex Salmond once was quoted as saying ' In my job the only opinions worth considering are my own '
And why not ? :greengrin

HUTCHYHIBBY
25-02-2013, 08:07 PM
Believe what you like

Whats the point in asking for folks opinions then getting all humpty when they don't concur with your own?

blackpoolhibs
25-02-2013, 08:27 PM
Whats the point in asking for folks opinions then getting all humpty when they don't concur with your own?

You are just looking for an argument. :offski:

HUTCHYHIBBY
25-02-2013, 08:30 PM
You are just looking for an argument. :offski:

You're going to have to put more bait on that hook Gary! ;-)

blackpoolhibs
25-02-2013, 08:32 PM
You're going to have to put more bait on that hook Gary! ;-)

:greengrin

NORTHERNHIBBY
25-02-2013, 08:34 PM
If McGivern is actually a centre half then does that mean we can play 3-5-2?

IndieHibby
25-02-2013, 08:42 PM
McGivern is our best full back, although Clancy is decent and runs close.
I agree with others who say he is better at CB. Said it before, so ill say it again - he is our best CB.
Some people seem to forget the impact he had when he joined - we'd be rooked without him!

Viva_Palmeiras
25-02-2013, 08:46 PM

Cos it's a meme thread ?

hibbymick
25-02-2013, 09:27 PM
Hes decent in the air in our box, but no so good in the oppositions box at corners etc. I would like to see him attack the ball more in these situations.

Andy74
25-02-2013, 09:36 PM
If McGivern is actually a centre half then does that mean we can play 3-5-2?

The first time he played centre half was for us. He's not a centre half.

Jonnyboy
25-02-2013, 09:42 PM
you must need tae go tae specsavers as well :faf: same as me :thumbsup:

Do you drive a Ford Fiesta J?

http://cars.aol.co.uk/2013/02/25/time-for-an-eye-test-car-crashes-into-specsavers/

:greengrin

Squealing pig
25-02-2013, 09:47 PM
The boy will be real quality in a few seasons lets just hope it's with us, a hot prospect cool calm and collected in games.

rcarter1
25-02-2013, 09:49 PM
Yesterday he tripped up a player on the edge of the box. McGivern made the right call to trip him up after he was beaten imo, it was a poor decision by the ref that cost us.

What surprises me is that being that it was a professional foul, that having given the penalty (incorrectly of course), the ref didnt book McGivern. Not sure that I would ask defenders to do what he did so close to the box, but maybe thats me being nieve.

For me though, McGivern is a great player, the odd rash challenge is all part and parcel. For me he is the opposite to Lewis Stevenson (who has also impressed recently). Lewis isnt flashy or as dynamic but Mr. Dependable.

Bring on Killie (twice!).

TheFamous1875
25-02-2013, 09:51 PM
McGivern's a full back. Him and Maybury are the only two fullbacks in the squad. Clancy was a CB at Motherwell/Killie.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

allezsauzee
25-02-2013, 11:39 PM
I do think that McGivern is very good most of the time, however he seems to have a few minutes in every game where he looks like he's just totally lost concentration. Maybe something that he will cut out with a bit more experience with any luck.

IainA
25-02-2013, 11:52 PM
I always get the impression that McGivern gives 100% in games. Yes there are times when he can make the odd mistake, but so does every player.

He is a joy to watch and always appears to be up for it. A great addition to teh team in my opinion and hopefully he will stay longer.

Speedy
26-02-2013, 07:23 AM
I rate him. I thought he was terrible againgst St Johnstone but generally he's been very good.

PeterboroHibee
26-02-2013, 07:32 AM
What surprises me is that being that it was a professional foul, that having given the penalty (incorrectly of course), the ref didnt book McGivern. Not sure that I would ask defenders to do what he did so close to the box, but maybe thats me being nieve.

Whilst I think he made the right decision, I do agree. Id rather our defenders werent in the position where bringing players down on the edge of the box was their only option, but if he hadnt GMS would have been in a great position to score. Its just unfortunate the ref made a poor call giving the pen. You are right about the booking as well, no idea how he didnt!

Brightside
26-02-2013, 01:22 PM
He's a very good left back and hopefully we can keep him. The overlaps he plays with Stevenson or Cairney on that side are good to see, and we need the same on the other side. He will always get dragged back into the Centre Half role as McPake has fitness issues and wont play every week. Anyone who suggests they should swap him with Hanlon are "awftheirhied"

HarpyHibby
26-02-2013, 01:31 PM

Ignoring the rest of your arguement, watch our tactics at goal kicks. Every goal kick taken from the left hand side of the 6 yard box is challenged for and mostly won by Mcgivern, who has deliberately pushed further up the field in order to challenge for the ball.

RyeSloan
26-02-2013, 01:39 PM

Aww dry yer eyes...hardly the worst responses yet yer toys are oot the pram before anyone can even say Yam!

To be honest a lot of the tone of the responses comes from the fact that if you can't see the fact that McGivern has some quality compared to a lot of our recent players and the SPL in general then people will be unsure what you would be expecting from a player.

Paw Broon recently singled McGivern out as one of our key players and I think it's clear to most folk that he has definately added to the quality of our team. Course he's not a world beater (yet!) but another poster mentioned if he was he wouldn't be playing for Hibs!

M6hibee
26-02-2013, 09:33 PM
Aww dry yer eyes...hardly the worst responses yet yer toys are oot the pram before anyone can even say Yam!

To be honest a lot of the tone of the responses comes from the fact that if you can't see the fact that McGivern has some quality compared to a lot of our recent players and the SPL in general then people will be unsure what you would be expecting from a player.

Paw Broon recently singled McGivern out as one of our key players and I think it's clear to most folk that he has definately added to the quality of our team. Course he's not a world beater (yet!) but another poster mentioned if he was he wouldn't be playing for Hibs!

Ill dry me eyes when ***** like you stop the bravery behind the safety of a keyboard and computer screen.

Admins, ban me couldnt give a toss. Leave you all to your tough talking behind a compy screen. Internet has a lot to answer for. Toodles girls

FranckSuzy
26-02-2013, 09:35 PM
Ill dry me eyes when ***** like you stop the bravery behind the safety of a keyboard and computer screen.

Admins, ban me couldnt give a toss. Leave you all to your tough talking behind a compy screen. Internet has a lot to answer for. Toodles girls

Well, that apology was short-lived..........

lord bunberry
26-02-2013, 09:36 PM

Great to have you back

HH81
26-02-2013, 09:40 PM

Bully.

HUTCHYHIBBY
26-02-2013, 09:44 PM

Matron, Matron he's out again! What's your problem man? Its an internet football forum, why take everything as a personal affront? Lifes too short.

Hibee Ryan
26-02-2013, 09:46 PM

Jesus man you are easily wound up!

stoneyburn hibs
26-02-2013, 09:50 PM

Develop a thicker skin .

Scouse Hibee
26-02-2013, 09:58 PM

Oh dear! Last night I said nice to see you back, tonight I'm saying nice to see the back of you. :bye:

Saorsa
26-02-2013, 11:38 PM

Admins, ban me couldnt give a toss. Leave you all to your tough talking behind a compy screen. Internet has a lot to answer for. Toodles girlsthat you away again then? you really should purchase that thicker skin you mentioned previously :agree: :hilarious

Would you like some new toys?

hibee_nation
26-02-2013, 11:43 PM

At last something everyone can agree with. I guess you are the price we have to pay for freedom of speech. Every time you lose the plot i get a vision of that dude who done the Danny Dyer piss take. :bsod:

silverhibee
27-02-2013, 12:40 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHOf3s70w-c :aok:

Sudds_1
27-02-2013, 12:54 PM
oh dear, appears one of our number has issues. Like watching a car crash...............all but him can see it coming. Internet does indeed have a lot to answer for. Its quite upsetting watching a man unravel before your very eyes ............

higgy0418
27-02-2013, 01:34 PM
mcgivern is a quality player, and key to our defence. the only issue i have with him is that he can make a rash tackle now and then.

weve given away 8 pens this season, thankfully #bigbensavespens and higdon misses them. without thinking too hard i would suggest that mcgivern and mcpake have probably given them all away?

cocopops1875
27-02-2013, 10:09 PM

Won most of his headers and scored with one tonight, May have let himself down at the second goal though :wink:

stoneyburn hibs
27-02-2013, 11:18 PM
Won most of his headers and scored with one tonight, May have let himself down at the second goal though :wink:

Yes he was at fault for there 2nd , class act though.

Saorsa
28-02-2013, 01:23 AM
****in' rubbish in the air, never wins a thing :agree:

JohnStephens91
28-02-2013, 02:43 AM
mcgivern is a quality player, and key to our defence. the only issue i have with him is that he can make a rash tackle now and then.

weve given away 8 pens this season, thankfully #bigbensavespens and higdon misses them. without thinking too hard i would suggest that mcgivern and mcpake have probably given them all away?

Maybury gave away the one at Dens. Clancy at Pittodrie. McPake at St Mirren, Motherwell and at home to Aberdeen. McGivern against St Johnstone at ER and Dundee United. Spoony at McDiarmid. That's the 8 I believe.

JohnStephens91
28-02-2013, 02:45 AM
Hes decent in the air in our box, but no so good in the oppositions box at corners etc. I would like to see him attack the ball more in these situations.

Got a good firm header tonight. Your wish has been granted :wink: