PDA

View Full Version : Rankin Over-celebrating

worcesterhibby
25-02-2013, 08:33 AM
I thought John Rankins celebrations were a bit over the top yesterday. Ok he made the effort to put pressure on Big Ben, but his goal was flukey and he is an ex hibs player. He celebrated like he had scored the winner in a cup final..lacking class:rolleyes:

Hibby 2005
25-02-2013, 08:36 AM
I thought John Rankins celebrations were a bit over the top yesterday. Ok he made the effort to put pressure on Big Ben, but his goal was flukey and he is an ex hibs player. He celebrated like he had scored the winner in a cup final..lacking class:rolleyes:

Maybe he reads this message board? He's certainly had enough stick from us to want to celebrate scoring against us.

lord bunberry
25-02-2013, 08:40 AM
Maybe he reads this message board? He's certainly had enough stick from us to want to celebrate scoring against us.

He probably doesn't

Thecat23
25-02-2013, 08:43 AM
In all honesty the way some fans treated him I'm surprised he never ran the length of the pitch and slid on his knees in front of us.

hibsboy90
25-02-2013, 08:50 AM
In all honesty the way some fans treated him I'm surprised he never ran the length of the pitch and slid on his knees in front of us.
Agreed, also recall him stating he'd been offered a new deal by Calderwood, before having it withdrawn, with no reason given.

I'd have a grudge too.

danhibees1875
25-02-2013, 08:50 AM
I can understand why Rankin would enjoy scoring against us. Not bothered about his reaction. Would have been gutting if someone like sproule had done it.

worcesterhibby
25-02-2013, 08:59 AM
I guess you guys are right, Just can't ever imagine fist pumping like a maniac for a jacksi goal scored against a former club. Maybe he did get stick, but he also got a whole heap of wages (well more than I get anyway). I will reserve the right to think he is a fud :agree:

cam75
25-02-2013, 09:04 AM
He still let Leigh get a shot for his goal when he should have made a challenge:-)

Elephant Stone
25-02-2013, 09:24 AM
John Rankin could score against us every time we play them and I'd still be glad we let him go.

Winston Ingram
25-02-2013, 09:43 AM
John Rankin could score against us every time we play them and I'd still be glad we let him go.

Totally agree. He was diabolical for us. One of the most brainless footballers i've ever seen in a Hibs jersey. The ultimate headless chicken:agree:

jdships
25-02-2013, 10:02 AM
I can understand why Rankin would enjoy scoring against us. Not bothered about his reaction. Would have been gutting if someone like sproule had done it.

:agree::thumbsup:

GreenCastle
25-02-2013, 10:14 AM
Rankin is actually one of the nicer guys in football and while he wasn't the most consistent performer for Hibs (various mangers possibly a problem?) the guy isn't as bad as many are making out.

He was celebrating with his own fans and considering he's played every game this season for Utd seems to have found more consistency.

Personally would rather have our current midfield though if they play like they did yesterday more often than not.

hibee_girl
25-02-2013, 10:17 AM

:agree:

JohnStephens91
25-02-2013, 10:20 AM
Never felt any ill feelings towards Rankin, I always liked him at Hibs, but yesterday was the turning point. Fair enough a small celebration, but he looked like he loved it - there was no professional respect there. Total trumpet and he looks like a waxwork pig.

Sudds_1
25-02-2013, 10:23 AM
Can you blame him? honestly? Rankin played his heart out while in the green and white.........never saw him give less than 100% for the cause. Yet many felt the need to single him out for nasty (peurile) abuse that (probably) gradually sapped his energy and confidence. Must be really trying playing your heart out against THAT kind of background.Even when he left he resisted the temptation to bad mouth either the club or its fans.The guy had class and dignity. A good professional. Unlike his many (inferior) critics.

GlenrothesHibee
25-02-2013, 10:28 AM
The only thing that annoyed me was him saying he had joined a bigger club when he went to United. A lot of sour grapes there. Couldnt care if he celebrated against us or not. Not as if he's a Hibs fan

Sudds_1
25-02-2013, 10:37 AM
The only thing that annoyed me was him saying he had joined a bigger club when he went to United. A lot of sour grapes there. Couldnt care if he celebrated against us or not. Not as if he's a Hibs fanI suppose at the time he was probably right!

givescotlandfreedom
25-02-2013, 10:38 AM
I'm not bothered about him. He tried his heart out for us but wasn't good enough. Would rather have Claros, thanks.

GlenrothesHibee
25-02-2013, 10:53 AM
I suppose at the time he was probably right!

They were more successfull and a better team but never a bigger club

Keith_M
25-02-2013, 10:56 AM
If he meant it as a get it up ye to the people that gave him a ridiculous amount of stick in his time at Hibs, then I can't blame the guy.

hibsbollah
25-02-2013, 11:01 AM
Rankin was forced to wear the ****** bib more than once under the old regime, so its hardly a surprise...

Russell The Dug
25-02-2013, 11:04 AM
He's ***** united are on there way down. **** him.

ronaldo7
25-02-2013, 11:05 AM
Rankin was forced to wear the ****** bib more than once under the old regime, so its hardly a surprise...

:tee hee:

He could never get the hang of that stupid Chicken dance either

Saorsa
25-02-2013, 11:06 AM
Maybe he reads this message board? He's certainly had enough stick from us to want to celebrate scoring against us.Well he never done **** all here tae celebrate, he was ****in' rank, I dinnae thin the stick or certainly most of what he got was unwarranted, he was brutal, a complete heidless chicken who contributed the square root of **** all.

GlenrothesHibee

Just as well he got out before Fenlon introduced the naked chicken dance!

M6hibee
To be fair I don't see the problem. He celebrated with his own fans. If he had ran to the hibs support and issued a GIRUY then that's one thing but I fail to see what he did that was so outrageous

hibsbollah
25-02-2013, 11:08 AM
:tee hee:

He could never get the hang of that stupid Chicken dance either

They wouldnt led him do the standard chicken dance. It was the heidless chicken dance for him :agree:

ronaldo7
25-02-2013, 11:10 AM
They wouldnt led him do the standard chicken dance. It was the heidless chicken dance for him :agree:

Was that the Boneless Box:greengrin

EH6 Hibby
25-02-2013, 11:15 AM
To be fair I don't see the problem. He celebrated with his own fans. If he had ran to the hibs support and issued a GIRUY then that's one thing but I fail to see what he did that was so outrageous

As I said on the match thread yesterday, it wasn't the fact that he celebrated, he's scored before and nothing was said about it, it's the fact that he knew absolutely nothing about the goal, it came off his erse but be ran around high fiving fans and fist pumping like he'd scored a belter.

The Sea-gull
25-02-2013, 12:16 PM
Rankin owes us nothing and can celebrate how he likes. He wasn't great for us overall but don't think his effort could be questioned and can't say I have noticed him being uncomplementary about us since he left.

All this players subduing their celebrations has got a bit out of hand IMHO. Unless a player has had a particulary well known and mutually respected association with a particular former club's fans or a player has broken through as a youngster somewhere and sees the club as having given him his break then I don't see a big deal in them celebrating a goal. It must be one of the best feelings you can get so why not enjoy it.

I'm more concerned that Rankin celebrated a goal like that in that manner. Most players are too embarassed to celebrate them and acknowldged they knew little about it. He acted like he had just replicated Van Basten's Euro 88 final vollley.

Sudds_1
25-02-2013, 12:16 PM
They were more successfull and a better team but never a bigger clubyep agreed, apologies forgot to put in a smillie at the end!

s.a.m
25-02-2013, 12:44 PM
Maybe it was a double celebration?:

PFA Scotland‏@PFAScotlandJohn Rankin is the new chairman of PFA Scotland http://bit.ly/XWcLqQ (http://t.co/yemJTwoHiA)

Golden Bear
25-02-2013, 01:52 PM
First of all I don't think he was guilty of "over celebrating" and secondly I wouldn't blame him if he did.

Scouse Hibee
25-02-2013, 02:07 PM
The lack of goal celebrations against former clubs is a lot of pish anyway.

marinello59
25-02-2013, 02:22 PM
Well he never done **** all here tae celebrate, he was ****in' rank, I dinnae thin the stick or certainly most of what he got was unwarranted, he was brutal, a complete heidless chicken who contributed the square root of **** all.

That statement is just not true. He played well on plenty of occasions yet still got abuse on here. How about thinking back to the last 3-0 win at Ibrox for instance. He was superb that night.

Franck Stanton
25-02-2013, 02:46 PM

You mean John Rankin can read ?

worcesterhibby
25-02-2013, 03:36 PM
Can you blame him? honestly? Rankin played his heart out while in the green and white.........never saw him give less than 100% for the cause. Yet many felt the need to single him out for nasty (peurile) abuse that (probably) gradually sapped his energy and confidence. Must be really trying playing your heart out against THAT kind of background.Even when he left he resisted the temptation to bad mouth either the club or its fans.The guy had class and dignity. A good professional. Unlike his many (inferior) critics.

To be fair if you read my original post I was stressing that I thought he looked stupid celebrating like that because it was a fortunate goal that he knew very little about. Yes I mentioned that it was also against a former club, but it was mostly the jammy aspect of it which meant I was surprised he was fist pumping and giving it big licks. Personally I always appreciated the shifts that he put in and always backed him when he was with the club. I don't get to games as often as I'd like (being based in England) but I've never booed a Hibs player (all right maybe Houchen in the cup away at Raith in the 80's, but he WAS a lazy git:greengrin).

Saorsa
25-02-2013, 03:53 PM
That statement is just not true. He played well on plenty of occasions yet still got abuse on here. How about thinking back to the last 3-0 win at Ibrox for instance. He was superb that night.I wisane at Ibpox so I dinnae ken how he contributed in that game apart from the goal obviously. Let me rephrase my statement, bar his squiggler he contributed the square root of **** all in any game I watched IMO, you are of course entitled tae yours but we'll agree tae disagree. A heidless chicken and nae loss whatsoever as far as I'm concerned.

marinello59
25-02-2013, 04:25 PM
I wisane at Ibpox so I dinnae ken how he contributed in that game apart from the goal obviously. Let me rephrase my statement, bar his squiggler he contributed the square root of **** all in any game I watched IMO, you are of course entitled tae yours but we'll agree tae disagree. A heidless chicken and nae loss whatsoever as far as I'm concerned.

We don't need to agree to disagree. By modifying your original post you have already agreed that it wasn't true. It's good to get along J. :thumbsup:

Saorsa
25-02-2013, 04:30 PM
We don't need to agree to disagree. By modifying your original post you have already agreed that it wasn't true. It's good to get along J. :thumbsup::greengrin :aok:

SneakersO'Toole
25-02-2013, 04:37 PM
He's welcome to his celebration. Im just delighted he isn't at our club anymore.

nonshinyfinish
25-02-2013, 04:45 PM
He acted like he had just replicated Van Basten's Euro 88 final vollley.

I've seen someone do that at fives, and they never celebrated.

Celebrations out, jogging back to your own half in.

1two
25-02-2013, 04:48 PM
During his Hibs day he was the only true 'professional' we had. We've not had many since then either.

Wotherspiniesta
25-02-2013, 06:13 PM
During his Hibs day he was the only true 'professional' we had. We've not had many since then either.

Quite a strange thing to say. We've got plenty of true professional's in our current team...

essexhibee
25-02-2013, 08:51 PM
Absolutely embarrassing celebration considering how he 'scored'.

500miles
25-02-2013, 09:06 PM
Absolutely embarrassing celebration considering how he 'scored'.

Not as embarrassing as the manner in which he was treated by sections of the Hibs support.

HTD1875
25-02-2013, 10:19 PM
Don't like rankin at all, a bit of a nothing player and spouts a lot of p*sh when he's on sportscene. The celebration would of been fair enough if he had just scored a 25 yard volley but it was just embarrassing.

zlatan
25-02-2013, 11:27 PM

Being professional didn't make him a good footballer.

Jones28
25-02-2013, 11:39 PM
He always gave 100% at Hibs and got a lot of unjustified abuse IMO, I think that would turn you against any club and you'd love to stick up them if you were to score against them.

leggeto
26-02-2013, 08:58 AM
Think everyone has the right to celebrate how ever they want,he wasn't really that good for us to worry about,id rather Brian Hamilton instead

dp00
26-02-2013, 11:03 PM
Prob justified considering abuse he got here

Saorsa
26-02-2013, 11:05 PM
Prob justified considering abuse he got hereagreed, I cannae believe he got pelters for the performances he put in while at Hibs. :agree:

cabbageandribs1875
26-02-2013, 11:19 PM
the guy gave 100%, and that's what most of us ask for the very least from our players

blackpoolhibs
27-02-2013, 06:21 AM
Would anyone like him back, or would you prefer Kevin Thomson? :wink:

The_Todd
27-02-2013, 06:34 AM
Why shouldn't he celebrate how he likes? The fans have no affection for him as a former player it seems and why should he have any for Hibs in return? I just don't get what folks are getting so wound up about.