PDA

View Full Version : Belly putters

PatHead
24-02-2013, 10:35 PM
Though I have a belly my putter doesn't extend to it. Has anyone used one and did it help? Secondly, should they be banned?

I think they should as they are not in the spirit of the game.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/golf/21569070

Jack
24-02-2013, 11:01 PM
Each year club makers claim their clubs are more accurate and hit further than the year before.

Each year ball makers claim their ball flies truer and goes further than they did last year.

Today the equipment doesn't look anything like it did a few years ago.

Where does it all stop?

PatHead
24-02-2013, 11:07 PM
Each year club makers claim their clubs are more accurate and hit further than the year before.

Each year ball makers claim their ball flies truer and goes further than they did last year.

Today the equipment doesn't look anything like it did a few years ago.

Where does it all stop?

An inch below the belly? :devil:

Jack
25-02-2013, 07:13 AM
An inch below the belly? :devil:

Which one? :greengrin

Sylar
25-02-2013, 08:40 AM
I don't think they should be banned, no.

In a day where we can use on course GPS to tell us the distances we are from the hole, hazards etc...

As pointed out above, the use of new materials, technological developments of equipment and increased use of aids/assists...it becomes difficult to draw the line.

If these things are so advantageous, why isn't every pro using them? Are there any stats on the number of tour wins which featured belly putters vs "ordinary" putters?

I certainly don't think it makes a difference for amateurs - you could give some golfers a contour map of the green and they'd still aim wrong/apply too much or not enough force.

IWasThere2016
25-02-2013, 09:23 AM
I am against them - and GPS for that. They are just not cricket! :greengrin

Sylar
25-02-2013, 09:32 AM
I am against them - and GPS for that. They are just not cricket! :greengrin

If you think about it, professionals even benefit from "GPS" in the sense that they have a caddy who premaps the course and provides them with distances on the way around and even advises on club selection.

It's always been the way of it. I know for a fact you don't use hickory clubs so how do you account for modified shafts/impact points, alterations to the internal dynamics of the ball in your argument?

Things develop - I'm sure the older generation moaned like buggery when clubs moved to incorporate steel or graphite.

Haymaker
25-02-2013, 12:15 PM
I am crap with both!

Golden Bear
25-02-2013, 01:33 PM
Yes I would ban the *uggers as its tantamount to cheating.

:rules:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/golf/20524228

Golden Bear
25-02-2013, 01:36 PM
If you think about it, professionals even benefit from "GPS" in the sense that they have a caddy who premaps the course and provides them with distances on the way around and even advises on club selection.

It's always been the way of it. I know for a fact you don't use hickory clubs so how do you account for modified shafts/impact points, alterations to the internal dynamics of the ball in your argument?

Things develop - I'm sure the older generation moaned like buggery when clubs moved to incorporate steel or graphite.

It's the mechanics of using the belly putter that is the problem as opposed to the equipment itself.

IWasThere2016
25-02-2013, 02:00 PM

Aye but it is a professional sport for mega bucks - no some weekend hacker hoping to scoop a fiver in the club sweep.

Regards the ball, I suspect many amateurs use a Pro-V or Pro-V 1x ('cos they've seen them on the telly) without knowing there's better balls for their game.. The quality of the ball is irrelevant if it isn't hit properly - a shank is a shank after all.

Things do develop but not always for the better .. nor the fairer in sport.

IWasThere2016
25-02-2013, 02:01 PM
It's the mechanics of using the belly putter that is the problem as opposed to the equipment itself.

Indeed - never mind that broom handle Adam Scott uses - WTF?!?!