PDA

View Full Version : Griffiths

M6hibee
24-02-2013, 06:27 PM
Truly sublime. One thing I fear is if/when Gary hooper leaves celtc, he could well be the man they look to. Hope he is available next week, any latest on the knock he had?

CallumLaidlaw
24-02-2013, 06:29 PM
Truly sublime. One thing I fear is if/when Gary hooper leaves celtc, he could well be the man they look to. Hope he is available next week, any latest on the knock he had?

Apparently just a bit of a dead leg and should be fine according to PF

neil7908
24-02-2013, 06:36 PM
There's times this season when I've been frustrated at him for shooting for 30 yards when he has players around him but everytime I start having a moan he does something absolutely spectacular and makes me look like an idiot!

Words cannot express how desperate I am to see him sign an actual contract with us and see him get even better with a decent partner beside him next season but his displays cannot be going unnoticed.

No question that he can get a lot more cash elsewhere but I hope that the time he's spent at Hibs, his attachment for the club and the progress we've made under Fenlon can all persuade him to sign a 2-3 year deal with us. Realistically I cant see him at ER next season so I'm just trying to enjoy watching him while we still can.

Have to say I would be gutted to see him end up at Celtic.

Sir David Gray
24-02-2013, 06:43 PM
Don't see any way that he'll be with us beyond this season but it would be great to see him sign a 2 year contract and then sell him at the end of next season for a bit of cash.

M6hibee
24-02-2013, 07:06 PM
At te end of the day, sometimes things don't work for him but he is a rarity in the SPL. Someone with a bit of magic who can come up with a moment of magic. Hope dean Saunders wasn't watching

bingo70
24-02-2013, 07:22 PM
Don't see any way that he'll be with us beyond this season but it would be great to see him sign a 2 year contract and then sell him at the end of next season for a bit of cash.

I think he'll sign as I'm not sure other clubs could be bothered with the baggage that seems to follow him.

Sir David Gray
24-02-2013, 07:25 PM
I think he'll sign as I'm not sure other clubs could be bothered with the baggage that seems to follow him.

Hope I'm wrong and would love that to be true.

Just have to wait and see. :pray:

ronaldo7
24-02-2013, 07:26 PM
Wolves must have some spectacular goal scorers if they can loan out a player of Leigh's accuracy.:greengrin

M6hibee
24-02-2013, 07:28 PM
Wolves must have some spectacular goal scorers if they can loan out a player of Leigh's accuracy.:greengrin

Amazingly they look relegation material. Very strange.

Argylehibby
24-02-2013, 07:43 PM
Had the ref done the right thing and stopped the play when Russell dived then the everything else changes. stop play, book russell and Hibs take time before taking the free kick and the game plays out. Russell and McKay Stevens throw themselves about week in week out and nothing is said, if they were foreign players they would be slated for diving.

NOLA
24-02-2013, 07:47 PM
not good enough for celtic i'd imagine.

Stevie Reid
24-02-2013, 07:49 PM
Mackay-Steven's (unjustified) whining got the crowd on the referee's back, which didn't help either. I believe that footballers should get a certain measure of protection so they cannot just be kicked out of the game, but he is just weak. Obviously has great skill but is a show pony who can't take a fair tackle.

Jonnyboy
24-02-2013, 08:11 PM

I agree and hope that's what happens :agree:

Incidentally did anyone hear Richard Gordon post match slagging Jim Spence for insisting Leigh's shot was unstoppable? Apparently it was a goalkeeping error :confused:

essexhibee
24-02-2013, 11:14 PM
What did Leigh have on his warm-up top today. Some sort of message?

Cracking goal. Was absolute class today.

dmc1875
24-02-2013, 11:24 PM
What did Leigh have on his warm-up top today. Some sort of message?

Cracking goal. Was absolute class today.

Yeh mate it was for a guy called Dante who sadly passed away last Sunday aged 25. Massive hibby big pals with Stokes etc and was a waiter at the bar roma. True gent. :agree:

monktonharp
24-02-2013, 11:30 PM
Mackay-Steven's (unjustified) whining got the crowd on the referee's back, which didn't help either. I believe that footballers should get a certain measure of protection so they cannot just be kicked out of the game, but he is just weak. Obviously has great skill but is a show pony who can't take a fair tackle.Mackay-Steven was like a bairn that some big laddie took the ba' oaf today . he's a cock, wi' a double barreled name, which I can never understand, or respect. looks like a gordonstoun boy too.

Aldo
25-02-2013, 06:34 AM

Incidentally did anyone hear Richard Gordon post match slagging Jim Spence for insisting Leigh's shot was unstoppable? Apparently it was a goalkeeping error :confused:

And that Jonnyboy is the reason I don't listen to those clowns on Sportsound. The second that left Leigh's boot it was a goal.

The ball swerved all over the place.

BBC Sportsound, for me anyway, I very anti Hibs. They don't say many positive things about us and take great pleasure when we fail or things go against us.

What I will say is that the game changed when Leigh went off.

Pete
25-02-2013, 06:50 AM
Pat Bonner was on sportscene trying to stick up for the keeper by saying the ball swerved. He was shouted down by some clueless little st mirren player who insisted it was dead straight and the keeper should have saved it. Who are you going to believe? A goalkeeping legend or some guy who started off by saying "I know nothing about goalkeeping but..."

The fact is that people like Leigh can make keepers look like idiots with these light, modern balls and their skill.

Billy Whizz
25-02-2013, 07:09 AM
Yeh mate it was for a guy called Dante who sadly passed away last Sunday aged 25. Massive hibby big pals with Stokes etc and was a waiter at the bar roma. True gent. :agree:

He came with me to all the games from around 10 years old. Was at the last 2 Derby's with me as well. At the Scottish cup win, he sang the whole game.
Such a sad death, we'll all miss him
Well done Leigh, many thanks

DanHFC1875
25-02-2013, 07:14 AM
Brilliant cross for the equaliser, class goal, nice touch with T-shirt in the warm up and celebration at the goal. What an ******** eh? Sick of the stick Leigh gets. The SPL & Hibs are lucky to have him. I live in hope that it will be beyond the end of the season. GGTTH

M6hibee
25-02-2013, 07:21 AM
Brilliant cross for the equaliser, class goal, nice touch with T-shirt in the warm up and celebration at the goal. What an ******** eh? Sick of the stick Leigh gets. The SPL & Hibs are lucky to have him. I live in hope that it will be beyond the end of the season. GGTTH

Definitely mate. Good post

green glory
25-02-2013, 11:01 AM
Pat Bonner was on sportscene trying to stick up for the keeper by saying the ball swerved. He was shouted down by some clueless little st mirren player who insisted it was dead straight and the keeper should have saved it. Who are you going to believe? A goalkeeping legend or some guy who started off by saying "I know nothing about goalkeeping but..."

The fact is that people like Leigh can make keepers look like idiots with these light, modern balls and their skill.

"Light, modern balls"

I suppose that explains all the bairns.

LancashireHibby
25-02-2013, 12:32 PM
The technique when shooting for his goal was absolutely outstanding and well worth a look in slow motion on the BBC site (it's their front page at the minute, in fact).

I too get a little aggravated on those days when he just seems to be playing with his head down, running down blind alley's and taking potshots from all over the place, but if even 1 in 10 attempts end up in a goal like yesterday then you can't blame the bloke for continuing to try it :thumbsup:

Aldo
25-02-2013, 12:37 PM
As I have said it was a goal the second it left his boot. FWIW the ball swerves just prior to the keeper.

Take nowt away from Leigh. That's why I do t watch or listen to any off those clowns on the BBC... No credit to Leigh but a keepers mistake.

They can GTF the lot of them

J-C
25-02-2013, 12:55 PM

I knew Dante and his family well, passed away suddenly last week in his sleep.
Think his grandmother owned Bar Roma, he was learning the family trade.

JimBHibees
25-02-2013, 01:05 PM
Apparently just a bit of a dead leg and should be fine according to PF

Looked a bit more than that to me. Had ice pack on his knee.

J-C
25-02-2013, 01:07 PM
Looked a bit more than that to me. Had ice pack on his knee.

Looked like he took a hit to the teardrop quad above his knee, it'll be that muscle that was dead.

hibsbollah
25-02-2013, 01:09 PM
Looked like he took a hit to the teardrop quad above his knee, it'll be that muscle that was dead.

Is it just me that doesnt know what this means? Should i be wearing a ****** bib?

JimBHibees
25-02-2013, 01:12 PM

I agree. :greengrin:confused::greengrin

IanM
25-02-2013, 02:28 PM
man crush

TrinityHibs
25-02-2013, 02:52 PM
Is it just me that doesnt know what this means? Should i be wearing a ****** bib?

Soft tissue just above the knee. Take a sore one there and it looks like a serious injury. Put ice on it and give it a couple of days and the muscle settles down.

Scouse Hibee
25-02-2013, 03:13 PM
He came with me to all the games from around 10 years old. Was at the last 2 Derby's with me as well. At the Scottish cup win, he sang the whole game.
Such a sad death, we'll all miss him
Well done Leigh, many thanks

Absolutely tragic loss at such a young age, I first met Dante when he worked in the Abbotsford, a nice guy and seemed so popular with everyone that knew him and for a young guy he knew an awful lot of people. RIP.

The Sea-gull
25-02-2013, 03:18 PM

This has come up before and there have been shouts of it just being paranoid rumblings on the part of those who have mentioned it but there does sometimes seem, I don't want to say an anti-Hibs agenda as I hate terms like that but certain Sportsound presenters seem to find it really difficult to say anything positive about Hibs.

Richard Gordon really does seem to have an issue with us. I remember listening last season when we came back from 1-3 down at home to Dundee United to get to 3-3 very quickly he actually sounded gutted that we'd managed it. Then he went on and on more than most about G O'C's dive against St Johnstone a week or two later. These are just two examples I can think of but there have been more.

Yesterday alone he was at it a few times. Billy Dodds mentioned that he felt Hibs would get a place in the top 6 and Richard Gordon stopped short of saying "aye right then Billy" but he did sound angry that Dodds had even mentioned this. Then there was his comments about Griffiths' goal and he also alluded to the fact that he had seen us play some awful football this season and that yesterday's performance was only great when comparing it to the majority of the fare we have served up this season. He sounded determined that we didn't get any credit for our performance yesterday. Fair point on the quality of football at times but I don't hear too many other radio pudits going on about it that much.

I can only put it down to the fact that his beloved Aberdeen have been equally as p$sh as we have in the last two seasons before this and in fact they were in decline the season before then too when we finished 4th and he doesn't like the prospect that we might emerge from the p$shness while they still languish in the bottom 6. Also us putting them out the SFA cup two years on the bounce must hurt him as they will look at us and think "why did we not beat Hibs, they are p$sh" completely overlooking the fact that they are not exactly Man United or 1980s Aberdeen or even 1990s Aberdeen. FFS they are not even Jimmy Calderwood's Aberdeen.

Used to think the guy was a decent broadcaster but the last couple of years he has started to let his own opinions creep in now and again. Not saying there is anything wrong with him doing this but he never used to give much of an opinion, just used to present the show and ask questions and encourage debate.

He also has a tendency to encourage Alan Preston and Robbo with their derby banter and their 5-1 banter. Don't even get me started on Liam McLeod!

AlbertK86
25-02-2013, 03:24 PM
And that Jonnyboy is the reason I don't listen to those clowns on Sportsound. The second that left Leigh's boot it was a goal.

The ball swerved all over the place.

BBC Sportsound, for me anyway, I very anti Hibs. They don't say many positive things about us and take great pleasure when we fail or things go against us.

What I will say is that the game changed when Leigh went off.

Too many ex Jambos including that wee t0553r Paul Mitchell an out and out Jambo at school

essexhibee
25-02-2013, 03:36 PM
Very sad to hear about the lad who passed away. Nice touch by Leigh as mentioned by others. Sure that goal would have made him smile from up above :agree:

J-C
25-02-2013, 07:06 PM
When Leigh scores, he points upwards as celebration, obviously as a dedication to Dante, nice one Leigh.
The teardrop is one of the four quad muscles in your upper leg, when flexed, the muscle above the knee cap has a teardrop shape to it.

Jonnyboy
25-02-2013, 07:54 PM
This has come up before and there have been shouts of it just being paranoid rumblings on the part of those who have mentioned it but there does sometimes seem, I don't want to say an anti-Hibs agenda as I hate terms like that but certain Sportsound presenters seem to find it really difficult to say anything positive about Hibs.

Richard Gordon really does seem to have an issue with us. I remember listening last season when we came back from 1-3 down at home to Dundee United to get to 3-3 very quickly he actually sounded gutted that we'd managed it. Then he went on and on more than most about G O'C's dive against St Johnstone a week or two later. These are just two examples I can think of but there have been more.

Yesterday alone he was at it a few times. Billy Dodds mentioned that he felt Hibs would get a place in the top 6 and Richard Gordon stopped short of saying "aye right then Billy" but he did sound angry that Dodds had even mentioned this. Then there was his comments about Griffiths' goal and he also alluded to the fact that he had seen us play some awful football this season and that yesterday's performance was only great when comparing it to the majority of the fare we have served up this season. He sounded determined that we didn't get any credit for our performance yesterday. Fair point on the quality of football at times but I don't hear too many other radio pudits going on about it that much.

I can only put it down to the fact that his beloved Aberdeen have been equally as p$sh as we have in the last two seasons before this and in fact they were in decline the season before then too when we finished 4th and he doesn't like the prospect that we might emerge from the p$shness while they still languish in the bottom 6. Also us putting them out the SFA cup two years on the bounce must hurt him as they will look at us and think "why did we not beat Hibs, they are p$sh" completely overlooking the fact that they are not exactly Man United or 1980s Aberdeen or even 1990s Aberdeen. FFS they are not even Jimmy Calderwood's Aberdeen.

Used to think the guy was a decent broadcaster but the last couple of years he has started to let his own opinions creep in now and again. Not saying there is anything wrong with him doing this but he never used to give much of an opinion, just used to present the show and ask questions and encourage debate.

He also has a tendency to encourage Alan Preston and Robbo with their derby banter and their 5-1 banter. Don't even get me started on Liam McLeod!

It's a strange one re Richard Gordon because he is guilty of all that you say and yet he once told me he used to love coming to watch Hibs when he was at Uni in Edinburgh.

Liam McLeod = erse ......... End Of :greengrin

Jonnyboy
25-02-2013, 07:57 PM
Too many ex Jambos including that wee t0553r Paul Mitchell an out and out Jambo at school

Paul Mitchell has never hid the fact that he's a Jambo to be fair. Have a listen, if it can be found anywhere, to his radio commentary for the 6-2 game. Being in the radio box with him I could see the despair in his face but he remained wholly professional in delivering his commentary. I've never thought of him as a t0553r and he would be infinitely preferable to Liam McLeod IMO

The Sea-gull
26-02-2013, 09:58 AM
It's a strange one re Richard Gordon because he is guilty of all that you say and yet he once told me he used to love coming to watch Hibs when he was at Uni in Edinburgh.

Liam McLeod = erse ......... End Of :greengrin

Yes, sure he has mentioned that on air before. Used to quite like the guy but the last two or three years he seems to have developed a real dislike of Hibs and at worst sticks the knife into us and at best avoids having to say anything too complementary and if he does it is back handed compliments.