PDA

View Full Version : The referee

SouthMoroccoStu
24-02-2013, 07:00 PM
Great game apart from the penalty

What a *beepin* idiot!!

If he had booked Johnny Russell after his 'dive' (he went down in the box and came up looking for a pen. The ref disagreed, so that's a booking) then the second player, not sure who, wouldn't have flung himself to the ground.

A good metre outside of the box and not even a booking for Ryan

Tarnished a great performance and a deserved win.

Grrrrrrr

aljo7-0
24-02-2013, 07:06 PM
The ref got it wrong and was probably influenced by the "claim" a minute before but his angle would make it more difficult to see exactly where the offence occurred. Surely the assistant ref would have been in line to see it and should have helped the ref out?

Hibs Class
24-02-2013, 07:08 PM
I'm furious. Apart from dropping 2 points I had £20 on Hibs at 3-1 and the refereeing team have cost me dearly.

Up The Bracket
24-02-2013, 07:08 PM
Another example of why video technology should be introduced to the game.

Saorsa
24-02-2013, 07:09 PM
He gave the 2nd one that wisnae a penalty because he never gave the 1st one that wisnae a penalty. I dinnae care how good you think he was for the rest of the game, he got the big decision wrong. Robbed again ****in' clown

essexhibee
24-02-2013, 07:11 PM
Fuming. Hibs deserved that victory and we had it robbed from us.

frazeHFC
24-02-2013, 07:12 PM
We never won the game because of that decision, therefore a bad refereeing performance imo.

JollyGreenGiant
24-02-2013, 07:14 PM
I'm furious. Apart from dropping 2 points I had £20 on Hibs at 3-1 and the refereeing team have cost me dearly.

Gutted also, had a 4 game accumulator with Hibs the final team to win, gutted 70-1 shot.

Im I feeling particularly paranoid, or do Hibs always seem to be on the wrong end of bad decisions more than most other teams!

Totally ragin!!

Godsahibby
24-02-2013, 07:14 PM
I don't understand why he didn't consult the linesman, 2 lost points because of a very poor decision.

Hibercelona
24-02-2013, 07:19 PM
I don't understand why he didn't consult the linesman, 2 lost points because of a very poor decision.

Why didn't the linesman consult the referee? Surely he must have known himself that it was outside?

Raging. We played well today, better than we have in a long while.

StevieT
24-02-2013, 07:21 PM

Take a look at the replay. The assistant runs straight to the corner flag. That is his signal to the referee that he thinks it's a penalty. The referee may have blown for the free kick, which it was, and looked at his assistant for advice. Corner flag = penalty.

M6hibee
24-02-2013, 07:22 PM
Shocking disgraceful decision. Now, I don't subscribe to the theory mcgivern has been wonderful for us. I think he can be a liability and exposed at times. However, that was a shocker. It was a free kick but clearly outside the box. Still scunnered now. We deserved the win and we were robbed, simple

Ozyhibby
24-02-2013, 07:23 PM
It's a shocking refereeing performance. Don't think it's a biased one though so just need to get on with it.
Inside or outside the box, McGivern was beat all ends up again.

Saorsa
24-02-2013, 07:25 PM
Take a look at the replay. The assistant runs straight to the corner flag. That is his signal to the referee that he thinks it's a penalty. The referee may have blown for the free kick, which it was, and looked at his assistant for advice. Corner flag = penalty.Well if the ref was in a better position were he was going tae blow for a free kick he could have over ruled his blind assistant.

Specsavers, I wouldnae go there if these ***** are an advertisement for them. :bitchy: Still robbed again by another ***** decision :grr:

Frazerbob
24-02-2013, 07:27 PM
Pat Fenlon showed a lot of dignity in his interview, basically saying mistakes happen and there's nothing we can do about now. Very commendable but you know what, I'd rather he made a song and dance about Hibs YET AGAIN conceding a penalty that was CLEARLY outside the box. Put pressure on the refs for our future games ala Neil Lennon or Martin O'Neil used to do.

StevieT
24-02-2013, 07:28 PM
Well if the ref was in a better position were he was going tae blow for a free kick he could have over ruled his blind assistant.

Specsavers, I wouldnae go there if these ***** are an advertisement for them. :bitchy: Still robbed again by another ***** decision :grr:

DD, I don't know if the referee was in a better position or not. He gave the free kick which was correct but the assistant ran straight to the corner flag. What I am saying is, he obviously saw the free kick but perhaps wasn't sure if it was in or out. His assistant made up his mind for him.

Feed McGraw
24-02-2013, 07:28 PM
The ref got it wrong and was probably influenced by the "claim" a minute before but his angle would make it more difficult to see exactly where the offence occurred. Surely the assistant ref would have been in line to see it and should have helped the ref out?

The linesman was not in line though, if he was, he would have seen it was clearly outside the area.

hibbysam
24-02-2013, 07:30 PM
You just have to look where McGivern stands.. I'd he did what he did.. Mackay Stevens running full pelt, give away a free kick, he could have turned and the boy would have been away.. He can't think I'm outside the box if I dangle a leg the ref may give a penalty.. Referee made an absolute clanger!

NORTHERNHIBBY
24-02-2013, 07:38 PM
What annoyed me more TBH was the mistake that Doyle made that lead up to penalty that never was. He looked like he had played the whole game and some of the boys that had done, looked fresher.

LaMotta
24-02-2013, 07:45 PM

Why didn't the linesman consult the referee? Surely he must have known himself that it was outside?

Raging. We played well today, better than we have in a long while.

The ref and the lineswoman are linked via an earpiece, so he would have consulted him that way.

JollyGreenGiant
24-02-2013, 07:50 PM
What annoyed me more TBH was the mistake that Doyle made that lead up to penalty that never was. He looked like he had played the whole game and some of the boys that had done, looked fresher.

That's what I was ragin abouth, powder puff Doyle giving the ball away on the half way line!

NorthNorfolkHFC
24-02-2013, 07:53 PM
He's a total passenger!!!

On a happier note, although we dropped 3 points we played alot better. Robertson is also getting match fitness and looks good.

Keith_M
24-02-2013, 07:57 PM
From the BBC report on the match...

"Johnny Russell's late penalty earned Dundee United a point against Hibernian but the visitors will feel aggrieved because Ryan McGivern's trip on Gary Mackay-Steven was outside the box."

Frazerbob
24-02-2013, 08:00 PM
He's a total passenger!!!

On a happier note, although we dropped 3 points we played alot better. Robertson is also getting match fitness and looks good.

2 points :wink:

NorthNorfolkHFC
24-02-2013, 08:07 PM
2 points :wink:

doh!

StevieT
24-02-2013, 08:13 PM
The ref and the lineswoman are linked via an earpiece, so he would have consulted him that way.

He doesn't need to communicate through the mic and earpiece though. The assistant signalled for a penalty by running to the corner flag.

ronaldo7
24-02-2013, 08:22 PM
Pat Fenlon showed a lot of dignity in his interview, basically saying mistakes happen and there's nothing we can do about now. Very commendable but you know what, I'd rather he made a song and dance about Hibs YET AGAIN conceding a penalty that was CLEARLY outside the box. Put pressure on the refs for our future games ala Neil Lennon or Martin O'Neil used to do.

I'd rather he didn't.

We got a wee break at Motherwell that shall we say was a bit dodgy. We took it and moved on, I think Pat is playing this one right, and we will benefit in the longer term.

LaMotta
24-02-2013, 08:27 PM
He doesn't need to communicate through the mic and earpiece though. The assistant signalled for a penalty by running to the corner flag.

I know that, but i was pointing out that the ref doesn't need to go over to the linesman to consult him.

which i think is what you are also saying...

Frazerbob
24-02-2013, 08:50 PM
I'd rather he didn't.

We got a wee break at Motherwell that shall we say was a bit dodgy. We took it and moved on, I think Pat is playing this one right, and we will benefit in the longer term.

Several posters have quoted the Motherwell "goal" and it's a fair point. But can anyone remember any other blatant mistakes, resulting in a goal for us or saving a goal against? Does the Motherwell game make up for the penalty last season at Aberdeen or the penalty in the cup final? Both clrearly outsode the box! 2 worngs (or shouls I say 4?) don't make it all alright.

Stevie Reid
24-02-2013, 08:52 PM
Referee was poor for us the whole game. His decision not to book Dillon for a blatant professional foul in the final third was unbelievable,

Necky
24-02-2013, 08:55 PM
Imagine if that had been given against Killie. Shields would have ended up with a ten matcher in the stand. Pat does impress with the way he handles the media. Very composed apart from his get it upye at the cup final which was understandable in the circumstances playing that mob.

ronaldo7
24-02-2013, 08:56 PM
Several posters have quoted the Motherwell "goal" and it's a fair point. But can anyone remember any other blatant mistakes, resulting in a goal for us or saving a goal against? Does the Motherwell game make up for the penalty last season at Aberdeen or the penalty in the cup final? Both clrearly outsode the box! 2 worngs (or shouls I say 4?) don't make it all alright.

Nothing makes it right. The ref got it wrong today, but what can Pat do about it in the post match interview? He could moan like Lennon or Shiels, but that might get the ref's union to back up their own man and give us nowt, in the future.

I think Pat is playing this one correctly and when we get a penalty against them he will be like the cat that got the cream.

Stevie Reid
24-02-2013, 08:58 PM
Pat showed class in his interview.

wheniwas5
24-02-2013, 08:59 PM
agree it was never a penalty but doyle at fault for letting play get to our box.
caldwell brings far more to the team holding up play ect than doyle ever will.
doyle v poor again.

Jaz
24-02-2013, 09:03 PM
We are giving away far far too many penalties.

Saorsa
24-02-2013, 09:06 PM
We are giving away far far too many penalties.We never gave away a penalty, he might have given it but we gave nothing.

It was ****in' bollocks. Another ****in' clown who got the big decision of the game wrong. They run around like jobsworths booking players for leaving the park or taking their shirts off, wag their fingers at players like they are naughty school boys. Wouldnae be so bad if they actually got the big decisions right but time efter time these clowns make a ****in' shop front of it.

LaMotta
Imagine if that had been given against Killie. Shields would have ended up with a ten matcher in the stand. Pat does impress with the way he handles the media. Very composed apart from his get it upye at the cup final which was understandable in the circumstances playing that mob.

Good points :agree:

We are giving away far far too many penalties.

:agree:

kaimendhibs
Just gone and I'm gutted. That was a total shocker of a decision and we were robbed of a well deserved win. Was raging at Doyle for his part in it. The rest of the players worked thier socks off all game and he looked like he couldn't be arsed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

livi hibs 1875
24-02-2013, 09:16 PM
Refs really need to apologise for making complete ***** of themselfs and geting managers the sack with stupid wrong decisions .but nothe sfa as usual say they dont have to .today. craig im a ****bo cheat thompson and the rest need to realise were now 7th instead of 3rd ****ing joke .and as usual its us hibbes who aint laughing. Well played hibs .welldone pat f..k the pink bus shelter plebs :greengrin

livi hibs 1875
24-02-2013, 09:18 PM
And breath uhhhhhh

M6hibee
24-02-2013, 09:22 PM
Did he not consult the linesman? Totally lost it IMO. Weak referee who probably let the pressure of their whining get to him and felt obliged to give it. Bloody weak referee. Pathetic

Geo_1875
24-02-2013, 09:35 PM
And why was that diving twat not sent off for his forearm smash on Lewis. Was never only a booking.

Archie70
24-02-2013, 09:37 PM
Just gone and I'm gutted. That was a total shocker of a decision and we were robbed of a well deserved win. Was raging at Doyle for his part in it. The rest of the players worked thier socks off all game and he looked like he couldn't be arsed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed. He's just so slow and powder puff. He brings nothing to the team, been here long enough but just isn't up to it.

AlbertK86
24-02-2013, 10:41 PM
It's a shocking refereeing performance. Don't think it's a biased one though so just need to get on with it.
Inside or outside the box, McGivern was beat all ends up again.

Have to disagree ... That wee **** was already diving as be approached Ryan and threw himself at his leg

Not only did he get a pen when it was outside outside the box he conned the ref for a foul

Disgrace

NORTHERNHIBBY
24-02-2013, 10:44 PM
Jeez,,,,just seen the penalty on the box and that is not a hard call to make surely????

Saorsa
24-02-2013, 10:45 PM
Jeez,,,,just seen the penalty on the box and that is not a hard call to make surely????Clearly it is for the clowns that officiate the game in this country.

Scottie
24-02-2013, 11:07 PM
If the powers that be wont allow tv evidence to help our game with these simple and important decisions then its time to hold the referees accountable by making them justify their decisions straight after the game.

As supporters we have to carry these joke decisions against our team with us everyweek as the refs just simply move onto the next game without redress.

They demand high salarys for their days work so when they get these decisions so blatantly wrong they should have their match fees donated to charities instead.

Thought the ref unfortunatly was poor today especially the shocking assualt on Stevenson by Makay-Stevens. Straight red card.:fuming:

LaMotta
24-02-2013, 11:24 PM
And why was that diving twat not sent off for his forearm smash on Lewis. Was never only a booking.

Lewis was too honest, just got up and had a wee laugh to himself.

Hibrandenburg
25-02-2013, 12:29 AM

Same here, thought it was in the bag.

cabbageandribs1875
25-02-2013, 01:38 AM
http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/4811026/Pen-Not-on-your-McNeillie.html

HIBS defender Ryan McGivern last night blasted linesman Graham McNeillie for NOT helping referee Alan Muir to get the late penalty decision right.

The_Sauz
25-02-2013, 02:22 AM
Just watched it on BBC, and for the linesman running to the comer flag, to indicate to the Ref it was a penalty........bull!
The linesman was about 10 feet ahead of the play when to trip happened, so there is no way he could tell were the foul was committed:grr:

Geo_1875
25-02-2013, 06:26 AM
I noticed that the Sportscene "pundits" didn't consider the poor decision to award a penalty as worthy of comment and repetition as the "soft" penalty given to Hibs last week. I wonder why?

Pete
25-02-2013, 06:38 AM
The mad thing is that it's drummed into officials not to give decisions like that unless they are 100% SURE!!

How can BOTH OF THEM be 100% sure THAT was a penalty.What did the pair of them actually see? If they had actually seen it they would have had at least some doubt about the location of the foul.

You have to wonder if refs just give things to try and even things up or compensate for other decisions they gave but have their doubts about.

cocopops1875
25-02-2013, 07:24 AM
Refs really need to apologise for making complete ***** of themselfs and geting managers the sack with stupid wrong decisions .but nothe sfa as usual say they dont have to .today. craig im a ****bo cheat thompson and the rest need to realise were now 7th instead of 3rd ****ing joke .and as usual its us hibbes who aint laughing. Well played hibs .welldone pat f..k the pink bus shelter plebs :greengrin
We are definitely 6th like (from my phone so nae smileys but there would be a winky one or a green grin)

#FromTheCapital
25-02-2013, 07:58 AM
It's often said that these decisions balance out over the season. Going by that logic we are due a few penalties

M6hibee
25-02-2013, 08:29 AM
http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/4811026/Pen-Not-on-your-McNeillie.html

HIBS defender Ryan McGivern last night blasted linesman Graham McNeillie for NOT helping referee Alan Muir to get the late penalty decision right.

Says it all. Total and utter mishandling of the situation which cost is two points.

HH81
25-02-2013, 09:01 AM
You have to wonder if refs just give things to try and even things up or compensate for other decisions they gave but have their doubts about.

I think its clear the ref did this yesterday.

hibsbollah
25-02-2013, 09:07 AM
I noticed that the Sportscene "pundits" didn't consider the poor decision to award a penalty as worthy of comment and repetition as the "soft" penalty given to Hibs last week. I wonder why?

I didnt watch the programme last night, but the way Sportscene dealt with recent incidents involving Wotherspoon, Griffiths (twice last season) and Deegan, and the way they deal with incidents involving other teams' players, makes you wonder about an agenda. If you were cynical.

Iggy Pope
25-02-2013, 09:10 AM

As well as he played, he maybe also needs a blast himsel' for the lazy leg he put in at the tackle? Never a penalty but in this instance a closed gob from the big fellah would be best practice IMO.

Saorsa
25-02-2013, 09:10 AM
The mad thing is that it's drummed into officials not to give decisions like that unless they are 100% SURE!!

How can BOTH OF THEM be 100% sure THAT was a penalty.What did the pair of them actually see? If they had actually seen it they would have had at least some doubt about the location of the foul.

You have to wonder if refs just give things to try and even things up or compensate for other decisions they gave but have their doubts about.Absolutely nae doubt that's what he was doing, ****in' clown but the 1st penalty claim wisnae a penalty either so that wisnae a mistake. Be better if they stuck tae applying the rules and getting it right mair often instead of trying tae even things up by making other wrong decisions, ****in' tit.

hibbysam
25-02-2013, 09:17 AM
As well as he played, he maybe also needs a blast himsel' for the lazy leg he put in at the tackle? Never a penalty but in this instance a closed gob from the big fellah would be best practice IMO.

Last minute of the ninety, would you rather he just let the diving prick waltz into our box? I'd rather he did what he did, he hardly thought I'm taking you out, outside the box and the ref might give a pen.. He knew he was outside which is why he did what he did

cabbageandribs1875
25-02-2013, 09:52 AM

agree with that, i would have thought he would have got a yellow card for the tackle(looked like obstruction imo)...but he didn't get one :confused:

truehibernian
25-02-2013, 10:31 AM
I'm just waiting for the predictable Kenny Shiels 'they got a dubious penalty against us so it evens itself out' tagline prior to Wednesday - he's bound to try and wind up Hibs in the lead up to the double header.

I know a couple of really really sound Killie fans, and VanNish on here is a top bloke - but have to say, in good old Kevin Keegan-esque style, I would love it, simply love it, beating them in both - especially at their place in the cup.

The man is an idiot :agree:

livi hibs 1875
25-02-2013, 10:42 AM
We are definitely 6th like (from my phone so nae smileys but there would be a winky one or a green grin)

Ok i did not check the tables it was said from memory .but the refs should still be made accountable for a piss poor decision .or atleast get a hand chopped off for being a total arse :na na: ggtth

clerriehibs
25-02-2013, 11:02 AM

aye. Hanlon v dunfermline. Think it bounced off the bar and outside the 6 yard box.

JimBHibees
25-02-2013, 11:41 AM
Anyone see the awful decision when Bell should have been sent off against Dons for fouling McGinn. Possibly an even worse decision than the United penalty if that is possible. Unfortunate for us as that would have ruled him out of Wednesdays game.

Hibernia&Alba
25-02-2013, 12:00 PM
The day after and I'm still raging :greengrin

The perfomance deserved the victory, but it was taken from us. Such a bad call.

truehibernian
25-02-2013, 12:08 PM
aye. Hanlon v dunfermline. Think it bounced off the bar and outside the 6 yard box.

I'm sure Paul also 'handled' a ball over the line in a 3-2 away win at Motherwell, may have been first game of the season - Stokes and Miller scored too. When I say handled, I don't think Paul intended to, the ball just did get handed over the line. His goal put us 2-1 up second half.

In the 4-0 game at 'Well this season there was also Hammell's header which went over the line, and we got lucky with one of the penalties.

Can't think of too many others in recent times - Hibs certainly have been more at the receiving end of bad decisions though, over the piece.

Iggy Pope
25-02-2013, 09:22 PM
Last minute of the ninety, would you rather he just let the diving prick waltz into our box? I'd rather he did what he did, he hardly thought I'm taking you out, outside the box and the ref might give a pen.. He knew he was outside which is why he did what he did

He did let him waltz past though didn't he? I would rather he went steaming into the 'diving prick' and took the ball off him. What he did was lazy and he should have done better.

Seveno
25-02-2013, 09:33 PM
Lewis was too honest, just got up and had a wee laugh to himself.

I had a clear view of his assault on Lewis and it had to be a red card offence. Good on Lewis that he didn't make anything of it but a few more seconds on the deck might have put more pressure on that dud of a referee.

clerriehibs
25-02-2013, 09:52 PM
I had a clear view of his assault on Lewis and it had to be a red card offence. Good on Lewis that he didn't make anything of it but a few more seconds on the deck might have put more pressure on that dud of a referee.

Had to be. There was no intention of getting the ball, it was an out and out assault on Lewis, which is violent conduct, which is a red card.