PDA

View Full Version : Progress

Up The Bracket
24-02-2013, 05:45 PM
Yes, today we were completely robbed and like many, I'm not too chuffed.

But, the way we played today typifies the progress we've made. The Dundee Utd team, that scored 3 against us and beat us easily at the start of the season, were completely outclassed today and but for a flukey goal and a shocking penalty decision, we would have won very comfortably today. I read somewhere that 1 year ago on Wednesday, we lost to Celtic 5-0 at ER. Now look at how far we've came.

Today, wee Lewis Stevenson, who was deemed not good enough by many last season, completely bossed Gary Mackay-Steven, a midfield trio of Taiwo, Claros and Robertson were far better than Willo Flood, Richie Ryan and Stuart Armstrong. James McPake and Paul Hanlon, got the better of Johnny Russell and Jon Daly.

We've came so far in this past year, and all of this is down to Fenlon, the idiots wanting him out are absolutely delusional. We'll finish 3rd this season I think, if we play as we have today we will beat Killie.

And as has been said many times this season, we're far from the finished article, we're going to get better and we have a manager now, who knows what he's doing.

:flag: :pfgwa

JollyGreenGiant
24-02-2013, 05:53 PM
Yes, today we were completely robbed and like many, I'm not too chuffed.

But, the way we played today typifies the progress we've made. The Dundee Utd team, that scored 3 against us and beat us easily at the start of the season, were completely outclassed today and but for a flukey goal and a shocking penalty decision, we would have won very comfortably today. I read somewhere that 1 year ago on Wednesday, we lost to Celtic 5-0 at ER. Now look at how far we've came.

Today, wee Lewis Stevenson, who was deemed not good enough by many last season, completely bossed Gary Mackay-Steven, a midfield trio of Taiwo, Claros and Robertson were far better than Willo Flood, Richie Ryan and Stuart Armstrong. James McPake and Paul Hanlon, got the better of Johnny Russell and Jon Daly.

We've came so far in this past year, and all of this is down to Fenlon, the idiots wanting him out are absolutely delusional. We'll finish 3rd this season I think, if we play as we have today we will beat Killie.

And as has been said many times this season, we're far from the finished article, we're going to get better and we have a manager now, who knows what he's doing.

:flag: :pfgwa

I agree, but we have to play like that more often. I like Paddy, but he has to get the team playing like that every week.

If he does that, we can then accept the odd bad performance, but the same thing seems to happen to Hibs every season (and nothing has changed). We go into deepfreeze right through Nov - Feb and that still hasn't changed.

GlenrothesHibee
24-02-2013, 05:54 PM
The progress is remarkable. Fenlon is surely in with a shout of manager of the season

Stevie Reid
24-02-2013, 05:58 PM
Great progress. Today we were superb at the back and excellent going forward, Williams hasn't had a save to make and Dundee Utd didn't create a single chance apart from Daly's header.

Was at Tannadice on the first day of the season and was seriously depressed and concerned - we are a different team now.

Pretty Boy
24-02-2013, 06:02 PM
Theres been ups and downs but anyone who can't see the bigger picture over the course of the season as a whole is seeing what they want to see.

Keith_M
24-02-2013, 06:09 PM
Great progress. Today we were superb at the back and excellent going forward, Williams hasn't had a save to make and Dundee Utd didn't create a single chance apart from Daly's header.

Was at Tannadice on the first day of the season and was seriously depressed and concerned - we are a different team now.

I agree with your general points but the bit in bold isn't true. I think he's a very good goalkeeper but there's no denying he was at fault for the first goal. A save would have been nice

Saorsa
24-02-2013, 06:20 PM
The progress is remarkable. Fenlon is surely in with a shout of manager of the seasonNah Kenny Sheils says that's Uncle Fester so it must be true. :agree:

Compared tae all the other ***** he's come out with, that was very funny :hilarious

M6hibee
24-02-2013, 06:24 PM
I hope it's the vein we will continue in because we will a lot more than we lose playing like that. Great display and they fully merited the three points. Much the better side

blackpoolhibs
24-02-2013, 06:27 PM
What progress, surely we rode our luck big time today? :confused:

Saorsa
24-02-2013, 06:29 PM
What progress, surely we rode our luck big time today? :confused:I think we've been getting away with murder :agree:

I think the OP should read this site more closely tae have a better idea of how we are really doing. :agree:

:greengrin

jeffers
24-02-2013, 06:35 PM
I've been critical of our style of play in the past few months, but was really impressed with our performance today. The ball was played up to Sparky on the deck and the midfield gave him proper support. I'd be happy to see us try to play like that every week. Only gripes I have is Done being played at right-wing, wtf is it with managers playing wingers on the "wrong" side and just how heavily we rely on Sparky.

Stevie Reid
24-02-2013, 07:00 PM
I agree with your general points but the bit in bold isn't true. I think he's a very good goalkeeper but there's no denying he was at fault for the first goal. A save would have been nice

I didn't say he wasn't at fault, and there wasn't a save to be made in that situation, just a better clearance.

Heisenberg
24-02-2013, 07:01 PM
I might seem unfair as I pick on Deegan a bit but he just dosent link the play up in midfield the same as the other three. He comes deep and demands the ball all the time which is good but he just turns in circles and passes backwards (sheep goal aside). That's two games in a row we've actually played some football in the midfield, same again next week Pat!

Up The Bracket
24-02-2013, 07:02 PM
I think we've been getting away with murder :agree:

I think the OP should read this site more closely tae have a better idea of how we are really doing. :agree:

Been reading this site for years but never signed up until last week, some of the pish spouted on here is laughable.

hibsbollah
24-02-2013, 07:03 PM
I was impressed with Deegans bite when he first arrived, but theres no way he should be in the first eleven at the moment.

Stevie Reid
24-02-2013, 07:06 PM
Why do people make such a big deal about our reliance on our top scorer? We are no different to Aberdeen with McGinn, ICT with McKay, Motherwell with Higdon.

The teams that are really struggling in the SPL are the ones with no such goal scorers. We have one and we use him well.

IWasThere2016
24-02-2013, 07:07 PM
The contrast between the season's opener and today was remarkable. We were dire then, and superb today! That's the best I've seen since Mowbray's days.

M6hibee
24-02-2013, 07:08 PM
What progress, surely we rode our luck big time today? :confused:

Lol wonder who will fall for your post this time.....

jeffers
24-02-2013, 07:09 PM
Why do people make such a big deal about our reliance on our top scorer? We are no different to Aberdeen with McGinn, ICT with McKay, Motherwell with Higdon.

The teams that are really struggling in the SPL are the ones with no such goal scorers. We have one and we use him well.

Can only speak for myself, but I worry what would happen if he got injured.

bingo70
24-02-2013, 07:11 PM
I've been critical of our style of play in the past few months, but was really impressed with our performance today. The ball was played up to Sparky on the deck and the midfield gave him proper support. I'd be happy to see us try to play like that every week. Only gripes I have is Done being played at right-wing, wtf is it with managers playing wingers on the "wrong" side and just how heavily we rely on Sparky.

If done played on the left all he could do is hit the touchline and cross it to one striker that would be outnumbered in the box, if playing one up front it makes more sense to have wingers on the wrong side.

Stevie Reid
24-02-2013, 07:12 PM
Can only speak for myself, but I worry what would happen if he got injured.

Any team in the world would miss their top scorer if they were to get injured, though FWIW we scored two goals without him in the 2-2 draw with ICT earlier this season.

jeffers
24-02-2013, 07:20 PM
If done played on the left all he could do is hit the touchline and cross it to one striker that would be outnumbered in the box, if playing one up front it makes more sense to have wingers on the wrong side.

It's early days but he doesn't look comfortable at all on the right to me, looks totally reliant on his left foot. I always want a winger to get to the line and put a cross over, if we are playing one up front then the midfield, as they did today, should get in the box to provide support.

M6hibee
24-02-2013, 07:22 PM
True but still, I would hope we would be in the market for another forward this summer

...WentToMowAnSPL
24-02-2013, 07:26 PM
The contrast between the season's opener and today was remarkable. We were dire then, and superb today! That's the best I've seen since Mowbray's days.

100% agree ... I couldn't believe both the passing and intent to be positive at all times trying to go forward at all times

jeffers
24-02-2013, 07:27 PM
Any team in the world would miss their top scorer if they were to get injured, though FWIW we scored two goals without him in the 2-2 draw with ICT earlier this season.

Of course they would Stevie, but we don't have enough options if he was to get injured - Kuqi was as mistake, the youngsters don't look ready and Doyle doesn't have the control to play up on his own.

M6hibee
24-02-2013, 07:30 PM
Well that's for the summer now. Of course there is a limited budget but surely we could look for a decent level SPL forward to add another edge next campaign

Up The Bracket
24-02-2013, 07:31 PM
True but still, I would hope we would be in the market for another forward this summer

I'd agree, Doyle's form has been poor recently and I wouldn't be desparate to keep him now. Unless we get to the final and he scored the winner of course. I'd give Kujabi a 10 year deal if he scored the winner in the cup final if we get there.

Stevie Reid
24-02-2013, 07:39 PM
Of course they would Stevie, but we don't have enough options if he was to get injured - Kuqi was as mistake, the youngsters don't look ready and Doyle doesn't have the control to play up on his own.

I fully agree we have no strength in depth, but that takes time. Kuqi hasn't worked out, and Caldwell is raw - Handling looks a smart player but he couldn't bear the goal scoring burden. I really like Doyle but his form has been poor for a while now.

Regardless, we should enjoy the contribution that Griffiths makes, rather than have hypothetical conversations about where we would be without him.

HibbyAndy
24-02-2013, 07:40 PM
Hibs were outstanding today!...Iv'e been critical in recent weeks but its been justified as some of the football on offer has been eye bleedingley painful ... But today was top class from Hibs, Even when we went 1-0 down we kept our composure and simply out passed and out thunk DUFC.

Delighted with today's performance but totally robbed of 3 points..Same performance next week please and we will march on into the semis of the Scottish cup.

Wee special mention for Lewis Stevenson who was simply outstanding today, Caught of guard once when he played them onside but apart from that he had GMS in his back pocket.

Dundee is a ****hole.

heid the baw
25-02-2013, 09:39 AM
Already past the points tally for both the 2010/11 and the 2011/12 seasons, with 10 games left to play
Definate progress under Fenlon.

JimBHibees
25-02-2013, 09:42 AM
Thought that was as good as we have played all season and but for a freak goal and an absolutely scandalous ref decision we would have deservedly won. Very good control of the game and some of the football was very watchable. It shows clearly that PF knows exactly what is required and that we are moving in the right direction. Just hope Griffiths isnt injured as there was a clear change in the game when he went off. Could be a very important loss of points given how close the top 6 is likely to be.

Greendub
25-02-2013, 09:54 AM
Wee special mention for Lewis Stevenson who was simply outstanding today, Caught of guard once when he played them onside but apart from that he had GMS in his back pocket.

Even then, he was back in enough time to block the cross

He would have been my MOM is griffiths hadn't scored that raker

Iggy Pope
25-02-2013, 08:17 PM
Hugely impressed by yesterday's display and the progress we have made isn't in doubt, but you can't outclass a side 2-2.
We need to keep a wee bit of perspective and hopefully we will start outclassing sides soon.

rcarter1
25-02-2013, 08:34 PM
Thought that was as good as we have played all season and but for a freak goal and an absolutely scandalous ref decision we would have deservedly won. Very good control of the game and some of the football was very watchable. It shows clearly that PF knows exactly what is required and that we are moving in the right direction. Just hope Griffiths isnt injured as there was a clear change in the game when he went off. Could be a very important loss of points given how close the top 6 is likely to be.

Agree with all points. I felt after Griffiths went off we lost the ability to hold the ball up the park. After playing so well we did look a bit like we were going to concede in the latter stages. Nonetheless if we can build on that standard of play we are absolutely progressing.

Weird that every team seems to go up and down like yo yos. Motherwell suddenly looking gash, St Johnstone looked pretty awesome against us, St Mirren were going great guns then flopped against us.

The only constant is that Hearts continue to get worse. Looking forward to the derby....

Jones28
25-02-2013, 08:57 PM

:agree:

If that makes us a one man team then fine, happy to have it that way! But this one man team is also defending well and seem to have found (or regained anyway) the ability to pass the ball and play a bit of football :flag::flag:

blackpoolhibs
25-02-2013, 09:11 PM
We were pish, everyone knows that. At the start of this season Pat had a formation that had us difficult to beat and difficult to score against.

We started to win games and play what was at times pretty decent football, but before the winter break you could see one or two were running on empty, and a bench with NO depth at all.

We also had a couple of important players out through injury (McPake and Clancy). The transfer window was good to us,we brought in better quality and secured the loan players to the end of the season.

We are stronger as a squad now, players who are tired like Cairney who remember is in his first season as an SPL player can have a rest.

We are in a good position now to push on and pick up form again, there's no reason why not. We are progressing, us fans can do better though, we can progress as supporters too. Why don't YOU give it a try?