PDA

View Full Version : What if and would you?

M6hibee
24-02-2013, 11:32 AM
Hypothetical scenario here. If hibs were given the opportunity to play in England and the leagues were amalgamated, would you take it IF it meant that Scotland would lose its international status and a GB football side would be pushed forward?

Probably never arise but if scottish clubs like us had a chance to freshen up and compete in the English leagues, would that be paramount even if it risked (as has been suggested in some discussions) the national sides status?

Eyrie
24-02-2013, 12:16 PM
I have no interest in the national football team, so that wouldn't be a factor for me.

My main concern would be the impact on Hibs. I think we'd end up as a Championship side that can challenge for promotion and occasionally even make it into the Premiership, but no more. At least in Scotland we have a chance in the cups (even if we do underperform) so I'd rather we kept our own league and competitions to give us something to aim for.

#FromTheCapital
24-02-2013, 12:22 PM
I have no interest in the national football team, so that wouldn't be a factor for me.

My main concern would be the impact on Hibs. I think we'd end up as a Championship side that can challenge for promotion and occasionally even make it into the Premiership, but no more. At least in Scotland we have a chance in the cups (even if we do underperform) so I'd rather we kept our own league and competitions to give us something to aim for.

I agree with your point however there is no way that we or any other spl club bar Celtic would be that high up the divisions. We would be in league 1 occasionally challenging for championship status every now and then. That's roughly the standard of players we have at the moment anyway.

sahib
24-02-2013, 12:30 PM
I agree with your point however there is no way that we or any other spl club bar Celtic would be that high up the divisions. We would be in league 1 occasionally challenging for championship status every now and then. That's roughly the standard of players we have at the moment anyway.

If we had access to the same revenue streams as the English clubs, then we could attract a similar standard of players. Our gates might increase, due to fresh interest and the bigger travelling support, although, the high cost of fuel and greater distances involved might negate this.

Up The Bracket
24-02-2013, 12:37 PM
I wouldn't want to play in England regardless, the travelling first of all would be a nightmare. I quite like Scottish football and I don't understand the complaints it gets. It is a very good standard given our population, if anyone can find a country with a smaller population with a better standard of league I'd be surprised.

The SPL this season has been one of the best ever entertainment wise. I would rather Rangers and Celtic stayed in Scottish football as much as I hate them, they boost revenue and without them we'd struggle for TV money in all seriousness.

The English leagues are vastly overrated, the entertainment in the SPL is far better, I can sit down and watch an SPL game without doing anything else, however, in English football, there may be a better standard of player but the games are much slower paced and less enjoyable to watch.

I don't understand all the complaints about Scottish football.