PDA

View Full Version : Pat Birnie Great Hibs Fan

greyman
23-02-2013, 08:27 PM
I have to report the passing of legendary Hibs fan Pat Birnie last night after a long battle against illlness.
The support has lost one of the best.
May he rest in peace

Jonnyboy
23-02-2013, 08:30 PM
I have to report the passing of legendary Hibs fan Pat Birnie last night after a long battle against illlness.
The support has lost one of the best.
May he rest in peace

RIP Pat.

A wee extract from my book "At Easter Road They Play" from season 1963/64 ......... Pat Birnie, a Hibs fan employed by Railway Hotels, deserves special mention in a time when going to away games was certainly not the norm as he had missed just two games that season, away to Kilmarnock and Cannes whilst he had even journeyed to Grimsby and London to watch his beloved Hibees!

23-02-2013, 08:50 PM
Rip

M6hibee
23-02-2013, 09:47 PM
My condolences to his friends and family

RIP

brog
23-02-2013, 10:35 PM
RIP Pat.

A wee extract from my book "At Easter Road They Play" from season 1963/64 ......... Pat Birnie, a Hibs fan employed by Railway Hotels, deserves special mention in a time when going to away games was certainly not the norm as he had missed just two games that season, away to Kilmarnock and Cannes whilst he had even journeyed to Grimsby and London to watch his beloved Hibees!

John, sad news! From memory the London game was against QPR & we got humped 5-1 & 3-0 in the 2 games but I can't remember which was which ( should check your book! ). Pat was a great friend of my Dad & brought me back both progammes from those games.
RIP Pat

gegs70
23-02-2013, 10:40 PM
Always sad to hear....RIP...

Newbury Hibee
25-02-2013, 10:52 AM
Pat was my uncle and I am a Hibs fan because of him. He was a season ticket holder for many, many years and only gave it up in recent years due to ill health but he still tried to attend the odd game. I now live in Australia and last saw Pat last August and he was not too well then but I took him out for a spin and we drove past Easter Road and I feared it would be the last time he would go there. We stopped and had a pint in Portobello where he grew up with my Dad, and after dropping him off in Prestonpans that day, that was the last time I saw him. He was a fervent programme collecter and would still have hundreds and hundreds of old programmes from the 50's and 60's. He still has mint condition programmes of the Coronation Cup in 1953 where Hibs lost to Celtic in the final.

He used to take me along to Easter Road in the mid 70's whenever I was up visiting from London where I had moved to. My Dad was a Celtic fan so it was always Pat that used to take me - very fond memories. He used to make the regular trips to Wembley with the Portobello British Legion up until 1979. Pat's second team was Arsenal and he used to make trips to Newcastle and Sunderland from Edinburgh to see them play when he could.

But his one great love was the Hibs and my trips back to Scotland will never be the same. He was a great Uncle, a great man and a great Hibee. May he rest in peace.

Brooster
25-02-2013, 11:25 AM
Pat was my uncle and I am a Hibs fan because of him. He was a season ticket holder for many, many years and only gave it up in recent years due to ill health but he still tried to attend the odd game. I now live in Australia and last saw Pat last August and he was not too well then but I took him out for a spin and we drove past Easter Road and I feared it would be the last time he would go there. We stopped and had a pint in Portobello where he grew up with my Dad, and after dropping him off in Prestonpans that day, that was the last time I saw him. He was a fervent programme collecter and would still have hundreds and hundreds of old programmes from the 50's and 60's. He still has mint condition programmes of the Coronation Cup in 1953 where Hibs lost to Celtic in the final.

He used to take me along to Easter Road in the mid 70's whenever I was up visiting from London where I had moved to. My Dad was a Celtic fan so it was always Pat that used to take me - very fond memories. He used to make the regular trips to Wembley with the Portobello British Legion up until 1979. Pat's second team was Arsenal and he used to make trips to Newcastle and Sunderland from Edinburgh to see them play when he could.

But his one great love was the Hibs and my trips back to Scotland will never be the same. He was a great Uncle, a great man and a great Hibee. May he rest in peace.

Lovely words. Its nice that you have fond memories of your Uncle Pat.

BSEJVT
25-02-2013, 12:41 PM
Steven very sorry to hear of Pat's death and will be in touch with Paul tonight.

I will also let Gary know.

George

JimBHibees
25-02-2013, 12:43 PM

What a lovely tribute that is. RIP Pat.

FranckSuzy
25-02-2013, 03:57 PM

You've certainly done your uncle proud with your tribute. RIP Pat.

greyman
26-02-2013, 11:18 AM
If anybody is interested, Pat's funeral will be at St Gabriel's R.C. Church, Prestonpans on Friday 1st March at 10.00 a.m. There will be a cremation,afterwards at 11.30 a.m. at Mortonhall Crematorium.
Thank you for all your good wishes

Craigyno1
26-02-2013, 11:47 AM
I was a young lad starting to play bowls at Portobello Bowling Club, and there was a Pat Birnie playing there, who was friends with my grandad. It looks like it could be the same great guy that has just passed away. Can anyone confirm this? Always liked a laugh, but loved an argument at AGM time with the rule book in his hand! Always remember him as a much travelled hibs fan. I hadnt seen him for years, but was sad when I saw he had passed away.

RIP Pat

brog
26-02-2013, 12:53 PM

What a great tribute. Takes me back to happy times when your uncle & the rest of the Porty gang were frequent visitors to my family house. I never saw Pat after moving to London over 30 years ago but it's great to know he's remembered with affection by so many people.

Vexhim Hibee
26-02-2013, 03:58 PM
I was a young lad starting to play bowls at Portobello Bowling Club, and there was a Pat Birnie playing there, who was friends with my grandad. It looks like it could be the same great guy that has just passed away. Can anyone confirm this? Always liked a laugh, but loved an argument at AGM time with the rule book in his hand! Always remember him as a much travelled hibs fan. I hadnt seen him for years, but was sad when I saw he had passed away.

RIP Pat

yes that is the same Pat Birnie him and his brother Val were good friends of my dad. My brother is still in regular contact with one of his nephews