PDA

View Full Version : How do you feel when you hear Ivan has scored again? And Why?

RIP
23-02-2013, 07:20 PM
We will all have a different reaction but it would be good to find out what the main ones are

Hermit Crab
23-02-2013, 07:28 PM
Meh.

Allant1981
23-02-2013, 07:29 PM
Glad to see him playing regular football. Still dont think he is good enough for us

Sir David Gray
23-02-2013, 07:29 PM
I'm pleased for him.

Hope he does really well in his future career and whatever else he goes on to do in life.

Baldy Foghorn
23-02-2013, 07:31 PM
Voted couldn't care less, but also know that as soon as he scores, then an inevitable thread will appear, saying we were too rash letting him go.....

Jonnyboy
23-02-2013, 07:32 PM
I'm pleased for him because he's one of life's good guys but his days at ER were over and we just need to move on

HibeeN
23-02-2013, 07:33 PM
Mixed reaction from me. Frustration at the possibility that he was not utilisied properly at Hibs as he has gone on to net 4 goals in 4 appearances for Ross County (and at the same time helping a rival club.) But also happy that he is getting first team football and doing well for himself, as I really loved him at Hibs and will always be happy to see him succeed.

I know it didn't really work out in his second spell at Easter Road but I am pleased for him with his performances at RC and think he deserves it.

blackpoolhibs
23-02-2013, 07:34 PM
Sad he never did it for us, delighted for him. Always liked him, i wanted him when he came back but it never worked.

Bostonhibby
23-02-2013, 07:37 PM
I put disappointed he didnt do the same for us but I will always have a niggling doubt about why we couldn't get out of him what Ross Copunty have done in a very short space of time.

Thecat23
23-02-2013, 07:41 PM
Honestly couldn't care. He's not a Hibs player so not interested. Didn't want him back and I said it was a mistake at the time. He's not good enough for me. As a person hes a nice lad though.

Jim44
23-02-2013, 07:59 PM
Glad to see him playing regular football. Still dont think he is good enough for us

He's playing well and scoring goals in a team which is as good as if not better than us. I wouldn't bet on us finishing above R. County. He's in a better place with them than he was with us and good luck to him.

Up The Bracket
23-02-2013, 08:04 PM
Delighted for him, great servant to the club, has gave me many great memories, a player I'll remember until the day I die.

Yes, it's dissappointed he never did it for us, but I'm just glad to see him enjoying his football again.

Love you Ivan

(No Homo)

Scouse Hibee
23-02-2013, 08:04 PM
Fresh start for him and he's doing well, just a shame he didn't look like doing anything for us second time around. No regrets from me in letting him go.

kentao
23-02-2013, 08:08 PM
He has done more in 4 games for county than Spoony has all season for hibs. Makes you wonder how Sproule never got a chance on the right.

half.time.draw.
23-02-2013, 08:09 PM
I think Ross County go for it as they have nothing to lose. Hibs fans expect more. So play safer. Only an opinion.

half.time.draw.
23-02-2013, 08:10 PM
He's playing well and scoring goals in a team which is as good as if not better than us. I wouldn't bet on us finishing above R. County. He's in a better place with them than he was with us and good luck to him.

You are spot on sadly!

Andy74
23-02-2013, 08:21 PM
Seen a couple of brief highlights and looks quicker and like he is putting some effort in. You'd have to ask him why as he had plenty chances over 18 months to do that for us.

JollyGreenGiant
23-02-2013, 08:24 PM
Chuffed for him, but will be raging if he continues to keep scoring against us :grr:

marinello59
23-02-2013, 08:25 PM
Pleased for him. By all accounts an all round decent guy. The move was right for him.

jacomo
23-02-2013, 08:43 PM

Maybe. But he has transferred two another club in the same league as us and started scoring goals again... it makes you wonder if we were failing to get the best out of him, don't you think?

Jack Hackett
23-02-2013, 08:51 PM
Also chuffed for him. The change has given him a new spark, which wasn't going to happen with us. Just one of those things

IWasThere2016
23-02-2013, 08:54 PM
He has done more in 4 games for county than Spoony has all season for hibs. Makes you wonder how Sproule never got a chance on the right.

Interesting view - I hadn't thought of it this way, and I agree.

djs69
23-02-2013, 08:55 PM
Maybe it's a sign of him playing for a team that create a fair amount of good chances and he plays every week. It didn't quite work out for Ivan second time here, good luck to him.

Iggy Pope
23-02-2013, 08:57 PM

I love Ivan, but I honestly cannot remember him knocking hertz out the cup in either spell with us.

Green Fish
23-02-2013, 08:57 PM
All the best to him, will always be fondly remembered, whatever.

#FromTheCapital
23-02-2013, 09:01 PM
Ross County have given him a new lease of life and vice versa. All the best to him, always liked Ivan

MB62
23-02-2013, 09:01 PM
He seems to have been given a new lease of life and maybe more freedom on the park to express himself as he can. Maybe a more positive attack minded manager has been a good thing for him.

RIP
23-02-2013, 09:31 PM
One of the secrets apparently is RC work much harder in training than Hibs.

HiBremian
23-02-2013, 09:31 PM
Just goes to show that "higher wages" isn't everything.

down-the-slope
23-02-2013, 09:40 PM
Loved his first spell - Hated his second

Nice guy with time for the ordinary fan - cant understand why it appeared he hardly tried a leg latterly :confused:

Iggy Pope
23-02-2013, 09:43 PM
One of the secrets apparently is RC work much harder in training than Hibs.

How can this be? Our roots are steeped in RC.

Golden Bear
23-02-2013, 09:45 PM
I saw brief Tv highlights of last weeks game and he appeared to have a roving role. He's here, he's there etc etc !

micka_weer
23-02-2013, 09:50 PM
Chuffed for the wee man/disappointed he didn't do it for us, if only we had managed to tap into his 'new found enthusiasm' maybe he'd have done the same for us? Acht, who knows?

hibsbollah
23-02-2013, 09:51 PM
I'm pleased for him.

Hope he does really well in his future career and whatever else he goes on to do in life.

This. Always pleased for him.

hibee_girl
23-02-2013, 09:55 PM
Pleased for him, he thoroughly deserves it IMO.

And if I'm honest frustrated that he wasn't given the chance to do this with us, playing him out of position did him (and the team) no favours.

M6hibee
23-02-2013, 09:56 PM
Best wishes to sproule and for the effort he made to hibs, and the memories of certain games such as the ipox hat trick, I will always wish him well.

However, ain't it bloody typical he is **** off a shovel this season away from hibs

Eyrie
23-02-2013, 10:17 PM
Whilst I'm pleased for him, I'd far rather he was having that success at Easter Road so my vote is for "disappointment".

sesoim
23-02-2013, 10:24 PM
I'm disappointed we didn't utilize his speed more as a sub. He always did his best work when Mowbray used to bring him on in the second half, when teams tend to open out more or tire.

I think the main reason he is doing well at Ross Co is because teams are probably more open against them than they are against us. Even though we have been pretty awful for most of the last few seasons, teams still see us, consciously or unconsciously, as a big team and therefore expect a harder game against us. As a result they are often more organized and competitive when they face us than when they face smaller teams.

thebakerboy
23-02-2013, 10:27 PM
All the best to Ivan but it does bring up my one problem with Pat Fenlon and several other managers. If you are Christiano Ronaldo or Lionel Messi where you play doesn't really matter but if you are Ivan Sproule or Matt Done you need to be utilised as a right or left sided player depending on which is your best foot. That is on the right for Ivan and the left for Matt. I think if Ivan had been played on the right by Nutsy maybe he would still be at ER and scoring for Hibs and not the Staggies.

chrisski33
23-02-2013, 11:00 PM
Surely someone on here thats in the know can ask him directly how come he's scoring now and feed it back to here?
im sure he'd say why.

kentao
23-02-2013, 11:07 PM
I love Ivan, but I honestly cannot remember him knocking hertz out the cup in either spell with us.

That is true but Big Zal had a massive part to play in that goal and i cant remember spoony getting a hattrick against old co or new co.

Sproule has started 4 times and scored 4 for county. Spoony hasn't scored 4 in any season so far with hibs. Its a shame for someone the bleeds green and white and doesn't get a decent run in his preferred position.

All the best in the future Ivan

GGTTH

Geo_1875
23-02-2013, 11:19 PM
Always happy to see him doing well. Just annoyed that he didn't get many opportunities to play in a position and style that suit him. He always played his best games for us when we had a more attacking midfield.

Hermit Crab
23-02-2013, 11:56 PM
Voted couldn't care less, but also know that as soon as he scores, then an inevitable thread will appear, saying we were too rash letting him go.....

Horrendous thread by the way.

Gordy M
24-02-2013, 12:30 AM
Sometimes these things happen, and a style of football suits a player and he gets off to a great start. Ivan was great for us first time round but didnt work out the 2nd time, but to say he didnt get a chance is a bit unfair. Im sure wolves fans could be saying the same about sparky.

It seems to be a common theme with hibs fans, players arent rated when playing with us or linked with us, but then world beaters when they are with someone else!?!?

There was a thread during the window about fat boy boyd and the vast majority didnt want him, now he is with killie most folk rate him?? Same with mcfadden, most didnt want him but now he is with m'well he woudve been a great signing?? John rankin gets rated(not good enough for us, wouldnt get in the team now imo) and clayton donaldson?? Better than sparky? Nope. Just seems an easy way to critisize hibs.

How about we start praising our own players, and manager(who was subject of a ridiculous thread about butcher being a replacement) first!? We are doing not bad this season by the way!!

Not a critisism of the op, just my opinion.

lord bunberry
24-02-2013, 12:53 AM
From the way he is playing just now its pretty obvious we didn't get the best out of him. I would put this down to our style of play not suiting him but fenlon isn't going to changehis system for one player. It happens I suppose but Ihave to admit to being quite disappointed he isn't doing the business for us

JohnStephens91
24-02-2013, 01:28 AM
That is true but Big Zal had a massive part to play in that goal and i cant remember spoony getting a hattrick against old co or new co.

Sproule has started 4 times and scored 4 for county. Spoony hasn't scored 4 in any season so far with hibs. Its a shame for someone the bleeds green and white and doesn't get a decent run in his preferred position.

GGTTH

I'll raise you:
Inverness at home - 25 yard volley
Motherwell away - 20 yard top corner strike
Dundee at home - low curled effort from right-hand side of the box
Knocking the Yams out the cup

That's 4 :greengrin

frazeHFC
24-02-2013, 01:47 AM
Good on him for going there and doing well.....but we need to forget about him, he didn't do it for us often enough last 2 seasons, so we were right to let him go.

frazeHFC
24-02-2013, 01:48 AM
I'll raise you:
That's 4 :greengrin

5. 20 yard lob against Dundee Utd at Tannadice.
6. Rounded the keeper and tapped in to seal a 3-1 win at Tannadice.

You heard it here first. :agree: :greengrin

.Sean.
24-02-2013, 01:51 AM
Chuffed to bits for him.

Met him numerous times, pretty much on first name terms with him now. It's always mentioned but he genuinely is a great guy and he loves Hibs, and Hibs are his club, although 'his teams' were Spurs and Rangers before he joined. There's probably nobody more gutted than himself by the way his return to the club, I suppose you could say, flopped. In a world where plenty footballers (i've met a fair few few mutual friends etc) are absolute wallopers, he is certainly one of the good guys.

On yersel' Ivan! :greengrin

Forever a Hibs legend, for episodes I doubt we need to remind ourseves of! 'SPROOOOOOL AND IT'S A HAT-TRICK!'

Always liked how when he turned away and celebrated the first of his hat-trick, he turned to the Hibs bench and gave the '****kers' to GOC who apparantly grumbled that Sproule would do nothing when he replaced him!

.Sean.
24-02-2013, 01:59 AM
I'll raise you:
That's 4 :greengrinMaybe so but in 20 years we won't remember Wotherspoon. We'll still speak of Ivan Sproule.

The Green Goblin
24-02-2013, 02:58 AM
How about we start praising our own players, and manager(who was subject of a ridiculous thread about butcher being a replacement) first!? We are doing not bad this season by the way!!

Not a critisism of the op, just my opinion.

Gogs43 out, Gordy M in. :greengrin

RIP
24-02-2013, 07:54 AM
A fairly inocous thread about one of our favoured sons.

One or two seemingly interpreting as anti-Hibs?

If it's broken Hibs.Net guidelines in any way I'm happy to delete it.

kentao
24-02-2013, 07:55 AM
5. 20 yard lob against Dundee Utd at Tannadice.
6. Rounded the keeper and tapped in to seal a 3-1 win at Tannadice.

You heard it here first. :agree: :greengrin

Hopefully mate, Spoony has ability but doesn't show it often enough.

Number 4 i would rather give to Zal because i like the headline "club captain scores own goal to end Hearts special relationship with big cup in record time"

PeeJay
24-02-2013, 08:06 AM
IMO Ivan is yet another example of a player that wasn't being utilized to his full potential at the club: he wasn't the problem - not surprised in the slightest that he's doing well elswhere - good luck to him...

sahib
24-02-2013, 08:17 AM
IMO Ivan is yet another example of a player that wasn't being utilized to his full potential at the club: he wasn't the problem - not surprised in the slightest that he's doing well elswhere - good luck to him...

When he first arrived back I thought he looked a better player than when he left. Better ball control and stronger. Some people were against him from the start and as time went on it looked like they were right, with him being largely ineffectual in most games. It does look like the role he was asked to play was a big part of the problem.

hibs4thecup1988
24-02-2013, 08:24 AM

Un fricking believable

Thread about Sproule turns into bashing a player that A) Scored goal of the season potentially(Vs Inverness) B) Scored in about 4 games in a row in a major period for us earlier in the year, and C) Scored the goal that ended a 13 game hoo-doo against Hearts. Yes Spoony hasn't been great lately, who the flip has?!

As for Sproule...I voted happy for him, met him a few times and he is such a nice guy, and also to the fact that Fenlon didn't give him more of a chance. I wonder what would have happened if Griffiths didn't come back in the summer... Ivan would maybe have got his chance?

But it is all ifs and buts.

IFONLY
24-02-2013, 08:26 AM
Sad he never did it for us, delighted for him. Always liked him, i wanted him when he came back but it never worked.

Did he knock you back then, or where you just not his type!!!!!!!!!!!!

PeterboroHibee
24-02-2013, 08:31 AM
Im happy for him. Its disappointing he couldnt find the same sort of form at Hibs for whatever reason, but these things happen. Ivans a player I really like and wouldnt want to see him wasting away the remaining years of his career sitting on the bench.

Number69
24-02-2013, 08:39 AM
It baffles me why we would strengthen a rival team while weakening our own.

Heisenberg
24-02-2013, 08:40 AM
Happy for him. Think it's just a case of getting a new lease of life at a new club and he's getting a chance to show what he's still got left without as much pressure. Can't really see how Hibs can be blamed for it not working out second time round as he's been doing things at County that he wouldn't have dared try at hibs in his second spell, like taking players on. All about regaining confidence in himself and his own ability.

kentao
24-02-2013, 09:22 AM
Un fricking believable

Thread about Sproule turns into bashing a player that A) Scored goal of the season potentially(Vs Inverness) B) Scored in about 4 games in a row in a major period for us earlier in the year, and C) Scored the goal that ended a 13 game hoo-doo against Hearts. Yes Spoony hasn't been great lately, who the flip has?!

As for Sproule...I voted happy for him, met him a few times and he is such a nice guy, and also to the fact that Fenlon didn't give him more of a chance. I wonder what would have happened if Griffiths didn't come back in the summer... Ivan would maybe have got his chance?

But it is all ifs and buts.

Its not really a player bashing its more questioning why someone like Sproule wasn't getting a chance on the right when Spoony has been so hot and cold this season.

Ben Williams has been great :P

If Leigh never came back we would be sitting further down the league table.

GGTTH

Hibrandenburg
24-02-2013, 09:37 AM
Top bloke and a Hibby at heart. Chuffed to bits for him.

blackpoolhibs
24-02-2013, 09:49 AM
[/B]

Did he knock you back then, or where you just not his type!!!!!!!!!!!!

:tee hee:

JohnStephens91
24-02-2013, 09:53 AM
Maybe so but in 20 years we won't remember Wotherspoon. We'll still speak of Ivan Sproule.

A player scores a winner in the cup against Hearts and we won't remember him? For what it is worth I was a big fan of Ivan and I was just correcting a statement made by someone else. If he had said Sproule had scored 5 goals I wouldn't have had a leg to stand on (St Mirren x 2, against us, last weekend and this weekend) because as of yet, Spoony still needs another one to match that total.

allezsauzee
24-02-2013, 10:03 AM
Pleased for Ivan. Disappointed that we let him go but cash is tight and if he doesn't fit in to Pat's plans then we needed to replace him with somebody who does.

Cod Boy
24-02-2013, 10:33 AM
He is gone time to move on. We still have kuqi

Betty Boop
24-02-2013, 10:41 AM
Gutted ! :agree:

Hainan Hibs
24-02-2013, 10:53 AM
Pleased for Ivan, disappointed it didn't work out like that at Hibs 2nd time round.

Hibs90
24-02-2013, 10:53 AM
Suprised

BEEJ
24-02-2013, 11:01 AM
I put disappointed he didnt do the same for us but I will always have a niggling doubt about why we couldn't get out of him what Ross Copunty have done in a very short space of time.
:agree:

To me it's just further evidence about how capable Adams is as a club coach / manager. It's just a pity that we allowed him to leave Easter Road when we did instead of showing Calderwood the door as we should have done.

neil7908
24-02-2013, 11:10 AM
I felt it was right for Ivan to go and still feel it was the right call. I have always been confused as to why we kept playing him as a winger as for me, even in his prime a few years back that was never his ideal position.

He cant really beat a player with skill and his crossing is generally poor but he's decent in front of goal and still has that explosive turn of pace so playing him up front is natural.

However, even with a good run with us as a forward I don't think the way we play suits him, one of the reasons I think Doyle has gone off the boil as well. Leigh has that extra spark in front of goal that can summon something out of nothing. I think the lack of supply from midfield would have seen Ivan struggling for goals with us the way Doyle has been recently.

For that reason and his continuing respect for Hibs, I can only wish him the best.

NORTHERNHIBBY
24-02-2013, 11:31 AM
Happy for Ivan, as he seems one of life's good guys. Bit annoyed that we seem to love these self-harm threads on .net.
Players catch fire at other teams and players turn out to be damp squibs. It is a football thing, not a Hibs thing.

Keith_M
24-02-2013, 12:28 PM
I voted 'dissapointed he didn't do it for us' but that's only part of it. I'm am dissapointed but that doesn't mean I resent how he's playing or in any way blame him. It could just be the right place at the right time.

The Green Goblin
24-02-2013, 12:34 PM
A fairly inocous thread about one of our favoured sons.

One or two seemingly interpreting as anti-Hibs?

If it's broken Hibs.Net guidelines in any way I'm happy to delete it.

In case that was about my post, it was 100% tongue in cheek. Personally, I think you are right to ask the thread question.

Iggy Pope
24-02-2013, 12:51 PM

GGTTH

True, but it's not about one or the other is it? I said I loved Ivan and I won't forget his hat trick at Ibrox as I was there.
:wink:

Maybe so but in 20 years we won't remember Wotherspoon. We'll still speak of Ivan Sproule.

We will. But you surely won't forget a winner against them in the cup. Will you?

Jones28
24-02-2013, 12:55 PM
5 goals for rc now isn't it? Fair play to Ivan, he's been given a chance and boy is he taking it.

Russell The Dug
24-02-2013, 01:15 PM
Delighted for him. Played up top he would be doing exactly the same for us. Poor managerial decision not to and then release him.

jdships
24-02-2013, 03:21 PM
I'm pleased for him because he's one of life's good guys but his days at ER were over and we just need to move on

:top marks
I got to know him quite well during his first spell and he was an absolute gentleman in every way .
Thanks for the great memories and I wish him luck whereever he plays

:aok:

Beefster
24-02-2013, 03:26 PM
Seen a couple of brief highlights and looks quicker and like he is putting some effort in. You'd have to ask him why as he had plenty chances over 18 months to do that for us.

Loved his first spell - Hated his second

Nice guy with time for the ordinary fan - cant understand why it appeared he hardly tried a leg latterly :confused:

Ivan was pretty rubbish in his second spell at Hibs for whatever reason (him, manager, tactics etc etc) but there seems to be a bit of a myth building amongst some that it's because he didn't try or didn't put the effort in. That's patently rubbish.