PDA

View Full Version : Edinburgh derby and religion?

M6hibee
23-02-2013, 01:37 PM
Talk of the Huns on the Saturday games thread got me thinking and I guess I'm talking about a subject that may have been discussed on this forum before or opening up a emotive subject!

Of course, we all know that the Glasgow rivalry is polluted with sectarianism but just wondering if anyone has seen it in our rivalry with the yams. Some say it isn't part of our rivalry with the yams but personally, as exemplified in the game at the PBS at new year, the union jacks and Irish tricolours were apparent in the respective supports.

I'm a Roman Catholic and am proud of our roots but feel we have done an excellent job, unlike celtc, of moving with the times and distancing ourselves from that 'edge'. Just out of morbid curiosity, what's people's perceptions of any religious connotation to our rivalry? Does it even exist at all in your opinion?

Scouse Hibee
23-02-2013, 01:47 PM
Talk of the Huns on the Saturday games thread got me thinking and I guess I'm talking about a subject that may have been discussed on this forum before or opening up a emotive subject!

Of course, we all know that the Glasgow rivalry is polluted with sectarianism but just wondering if anyone has seen it in our rivalry with the yams. Some say it isn't part of our rivalry with the yams but personally, as exemplified in the game at the PBS at new year, the union jacks and Irish tricolours were apparent in the respective supports.

I'm a Roman Catholic and am proud of our roots but feel we have done an excellent job, unlike celtc, of moving with the times and distancing ourselves from that 'edge'. Just out of morbid curiosity, what's people's perceptions of any religious connotation to our rivalry? Does it even exist at all in your opinion?

Not in my mind, the connection between football and religion simply doesn't exist to me.

23-02-2013, 01:52 PM
I certainly recall a few derbies at easter road when i've been walking down the street to the stadium and heard groups of hearts supporters wave union jack and sing fenian blood, FTP and the usual hun bile.

I think hibs support have a far less sectarian element in it than hearts but there are still a small minority of hibs fans that wish to get involved in the nonsense aswell.

In general, hibs and hearts are nowhere near as bad as the bigot brothers in the West, thank God.

PeeJay
23-02-2013, 01:57 PM
Can't speak for anyone else, but religion has never had anything to do with my relations to the club or any other club in Edinburgh and beyond...totally irrelevant issue as far as I am concerned.

VickMackie
23-02-2013, 01:58 PM
My belief in the tooth fairy has nothing at all to do with me supporting hibs.

hibsbollah
23-02-2013, 02:02 PM
It undoubtedly used to be there. Anyone going to school in Edinburgh in the 70s and 80s, especially when you had a school from the other side of the sectarian divide next door, would be familiar with it. 'HFC' graffiti was often followed by IRA 1916, HMFC with UVF 1690 or similar. You could regularly hear republican ditties in Hibs pubs, although even then it wasn't everybody's thing.

Im guessing that this has died out for a combination of different reasons; a reduction in sectarianism in general society in Edinburgh, the desire of both clubs' supports to distance ourselves from the Old Firm after the 1980 riot and suchlike, and in our case the efforts of Tom Hart.

NOLA
23-02-2013, 02:05 PM
Yes, it exists but in a minority of the support

Elephant Stone
23-02-2013, 02:06 PM
I have absolutely never heard any religious singing/chanting from a Hibs fan in my life. Any notion of religion you'll get from a derby is from their lot being up to their knees in "Fenian blood" and wanting to "f*** the Pope and the IRA" which is all relevant and really good to hear at a football match.

Geo_1875
23-02-2013, 02:06 PM
Considering most of the abuse between Scottish football fans makes reference to Fenian or Orange *******s, neither of which are religiously affiliated (allegedly), I don't think the majority of fans know what or who they abusing. And considering the amount of Godless heathens who join in every religious debate on here I don't think we have a problem :wink::wink:

Golden Bear
23-02-2013, 02:07 PM

Football in, religion out!

Sir David Gray
23-02-2013, 02:09 PM
I wouldn't say it's completely non-existent within the rivalry in Edinburgh but it is insignificant.

The vast majority of fans of both Hibs and Hearts go to a derby purely to watch the football and they have no interest in religion or politics or anything like that.

There's no comparison between the Hibs and Hearts rivalry and the Celtic and Rangers rivalry.

.Sean.
23-02-2013, 02:09 PM
I don't think it's a problem at all tbh. Myself and my football-going mates all have different religious and political views but it has absolutely zero to do with Hibs.

Anyone who brings politics or religion into football is an absolute ********.

Humo
23-02-2013, 02:10 PM
I'm not intrested in religion at all and IMO it certainly shouldn't be involved in football

Hibernia&Alba
23-02-2013, 02:11 PM
As an atheist, there are no religious motives in my thinking, and I certainly wouldn't direct any I did have into football. Thankfully Edinbugh doesn't suffer from religious intolerance to anything like the same degree as the West of Scotland. The numbers who think that way in relation to their football team is comparitively tiny, and, call me biased, the problem is mainly one that affects Hearts, for although Hibs started its life as a Roman Catholic only club, it has evolved into a multi-cultural, all-inclusive club we should be proud of. I've never been asked about my religious beliefs by a Hibs fan in relation to support of the club, nor have I ever asked the question of anybody else. It just doesn't matter. I know for a fact we have fans of all faiths and those of none, and all are treated equally by everyone I know personally. I would say that Hibernian reflects the diversity of our modern society as well as any club in the country. Edinburgh is a cosmopolitan city and the club's attitude reflects that. I'd like to see more ethnic minorities at ER, but I'm not worried their low numbers is due to feeling unwelcome; it's a cultural and social thing.

I'm not suggesting every Hibs fan is a broadminded, tolerant person. Idiots are found everywhere. But I do think that the prevalent culture of the club is inclusive and that the vast majority of fans want the club open to all, with no demands placed upon anyone about conformity to a particular view of the world. We can disagree about everything else yet remain Hibs fans, as a football club should be. There are churches/mosques/temples and political parties to express ones view on those issues. This kind of liberal approach will by definition prevent religious sectarianism of the kind we see in Glasgow, and it should always be encouraged.

M6hibee
23-02-2013, 02:12 PM
True lads. Should add I'm a lapsed catholic and religion doesn't really figure at all in my life. From my own perspective, I'm proud of the past we have but also proud we have, IMHO, been more mature about it than celtc. We can be proud of our roots but also proud it doesn't define us. Also agree with the point above the yams seem to have more of a problem. I think their increasingly sour relationship with celtc has played a part as well in recent years

M6hibee
23-02-2013, 02:14 PM
I don't think it's a problem at all tbh. Myself and my football-going mates all have different religious and political views but it has absolutely zero to do with Hibs.

Anyone who brings politics or religion into football is an absolute ********.

Guess that risks me being a ********* for bringing this thread up lol. I have no sinister motive, just interested is all

yeezus.
23-02-2013, 02:14 PM
I've met Rangers and Celtic fans who vote the way they do because of their "religion" - although most probably never attend church/mass. I'm glad Hibs haven't stooped to the levels that the lesser green in Glasgow have in terms of bringing their religious and political affiliations into the game.

SkintHibby
23-02-2013, 02:18 PM
I was called a "dirty green fenian barsteward" on Gorgie Road once by a particularly fat knuckle dragging jambo. Over the years seen many examples of them acting like huns without bus fares.

It seems important to them to be like Rangers whilst we do our best to distance ourselves from the either of the bigots in the west.

I think the fact that only a small minority of the Hibs support is RC really irks the Jambos - I think they'd love to hate us for religious reasons!:agree:

lyonhibs
23-02-2013, 02:22 PM
The 2 are completely unrelated to me. I love football and Hibs, I couldn't care two flying figs about religion in general, or anyone's individual choice to practice (or not) their chosen religion.

Bishop Hibee
23-02-2013, 02:36 PM
My belief in the tooth fairy has nothing at all to do with me supporting hibs.

Sorry to burst your bubble but religion is real!

Sectarian chants and abuse much diluted since the 70s/80s. Still at the last derby heard a yam shouting abuse about the Pope and an idiot behind me shouting abuse about "proddies". Isolated but like racist incidents, fans must be vigilant.

Vini1875
23-02-2013, 02:42 PM
Yes it plays a part for me. It may be historic, but my identity as an Irish Catholic is tied to my identity as a Hibs supporter. I haven't sang rebel songs going to a game or at the game in years/decades maybe. I'll be 50 this year and moved a lot from what I did as a young guy, but it does still exist.

My thoughts on the singing chanting etc about what is happening in Ireland at a football match have more to do with making a serious cause trival by using the songs at a football match.

SaudiHibby
23-02-2013, 02:56 PM
Those of us raised in the old tenement room and kitchens in places like Bonnington Road who remember their granny's being spat on at the top of Leith Walk for being a pape and took part in many Rebelfests in neighbors front rooms on many a drunken Saturday night have very right to be glad that those days have indeed diminished. But it was real and is part of us. When I get a wee swally inside me it can come out though not often anymore thankfully. :aok: Quite how a scouser thinks he can comment though is beyond me :cb

VickMackie
23-02-2013, 02:58 PM
Sorry to burst your bubble but religion is real!

Sectarian chants and abuse much diluted since the 70s/80s. Still at the last derby heard a yam shouting abuse about the Pope and an idiot behind me shouting abuse about "proddies". Isolated but like racist incidents, fans must be vigilant.

So is the tooth fairy. I have the faith.

surreyhibbie
23-02-2013, 03:00 PM
Not in my mind, the connection between football and religion simply doesn't exist to me.

Agree completely. Never understood it myself.

surreyhibbie
23-02-2013, 03:02 PM
Considering most of the abuse between Scottish football fans makes reference to Fenian or Orange *******s, neither of which are religiously affiliated (allegedly), I don't think the majority of fans know what or who they abusing. And considering the amount of Godless heathens who join in every religious debate on here I don't think we have a problem :wink::wink:

Godless heathens need love too! :-)

Scouse Hibee
23-02-2013, 03:30 PM
Those of us raised in the old tenement room and kitchens in places like Bonnington Road who remember their granny's being spat on at the top of Leith Walk for being a pape and took part in many Rebelfests in neighbors front rooms on many a drunken Saturday night have very right to be glad that those days have indeed diminished. But it was real and is part of us. When I get a wee swally inside me it can come out though not often anymore thankfully. :aok: Quite how a scouser thinks he can comment though is beyond me :cb

Why? do you think Scouse is a religion :tee hee: or is it that you think after 20 odd years of watching Hibs I don't quite have enough experience to comment on what goes on in derby matches in relation to religion.Please do explain yourself I'm dying to know!

SaudiHibby
23-02-2013, 03:50 PM
Why? do you think Scouse is a religion :tee hee: or is it that you think after 20 odd years of watching Hibs I don't quite have enough experience to comment on what goes on in derby matches in relation to religion.Please do explain yourself I'm dying to know!

I watched football in England for roughly the same length of time at your club, Everton, Watford, Fulham, Arsenal and Derby County and I would not dare to comment on their roots or history. All of them would say thanks for your money Saudi but you'll never really be one of us. Take that as you will.

NOLA
23-02-2013, 03:57 PM
Agree completely. Never understood it myself.
Historically a football club represents a city or in our case a community within a city, if that community was predominatly catholic then its easy to see how religion could be represented at the football, I will underline historically as the city has changed much over the years

Scouse Hibee
23-02-2013, 03:57 PM
I watched football in England for roughly the same length of time at your club, Everton, Watford, Fulham, Arsenal and Derby County and I would not dare to comment on their roots or history. All of them would say thanks for your money Saudi but you'll never really be one of us. Take that as you will.

:faf: You would not dare! WTF are you babbling on about?

The question was about religious rivalry in the Derby and our thoughts on it. One of us? Oh dear you are stuck in the dark ages aren't you. Run along now and leave this conversation to the sensible adults.

SaudiHibby
23-02-2013, 04:07 PM

The question was about religious rivalry in the Derby and our thoughts on it. One of us? Oh dear you are stuck in the dark ages aren't you. Run along now and leave this conversation to the sensible adults.

Calm down Mr. Angry. Surprised you didn't pick Celtc actually, much more your type of club. :rolleyes:

sambajustice
23-02-2013, 04:11 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36tNaI2NtmE

:cb

Scouse Hibee
23-02-2013, 04:12 PM
Calm down Mr. Angry. Surprised you didn't pick Celtc actually, much more your type of club. :rolleyes:

:faf: You sound like anything but a Hibby, wrong board for you I think.......

hibsbollah
23-02-2013, 04:12 PM

Out of order. Saudi made some interesting points, I think you need to develop a thicker skin.

Scouse Hibee
23-02-2013, 04:13 PM
Out of order. Saudi made some interesting points, I think you need to develop a thicker skin.

Nothing wrong with my skin he was being a twat and there was no need simple as that! The question was about our thoughts on the derby as we see it, not discussing the rights and wrongs of our roots or my right to comment on the OP.

Hibrandenburg
23-02-2013, 04:17 PM
Remember the bad old days where we were just as bad as them. I take great pride in the fact that Hibs have evolved. We still have a small number who anonymously raise their ugly head now and again but get shouted down. As for Hearts, well you'd have to pose the same question on sickback but I'm sure the consensus would be similar but the minority of fuds would not be quite so anonymous.

Scouse Hibee
23-02-2013, 04:19 PM
Remember the bad old days where we were just as bad as them. I take great pride in the fact that Hibs have evolved. We still have a small number who anonymously raise their ugly head now and again but get shouted down. As for Hearts, well you'd have to pose the same question on sickback but I'm sure the consensus would be similar but the minority of fuds would not be quite so anonymous.

I can only speak of my own experiences and the fact that I would never let religion become involved in my mindset regardless of where I was born or what team I was supporting.

hibsbollah
23-02-2013, 04:20 PM
Nothing wrong with my skin he was being a twat and there was no need simple as that! The question was about our thoughts on the derby as we see it, not discussing the rights and wrongs of our roots or my right to comment on the OP.

He did post a smiley after the 'scouse' comment, which i took to mean the comment was a bit of banter. Clearly you took it differently.

SaudiHibby
23-02-2013, 04:22 PM
Nothing wrong with my skin he was being a twat and there was no need simple as that! The question was about our thoughts on the derby as we see it not discussing the rights and wrongs of our roots or my right to comment on the OP.

Scouse, you come across like a bit of a bully. You like to pass smart comments on almost a daily basis but when it gets done to you out comes the scally. I can trace my links with Hibs back to the early 1900's and my entire family heritage is Leith based. Religion played a large part in this club and its supporters lives for nearly 90 years and it is ingrained in many of us. You are a blow in who could not begin to understand that so take your own advice and run along.

Scouse Hibee
23-02-2013, 04:23 PM
He did post a smiley after the 'scouse' comment, which i took to mean the comment was a bit of banter. Clearly you took it differently.

Clearly, it's not the end of the world though it's only football after all :wink:

hibsbollah
23-02-2013, 04:24 PM
Clearly, it's not the end of the world though it's only football after all :wink:

Calm down calm down :wink:

Miguel
23-02-2013, 04:26 PM
To me, the sectarianism at Hearts is worse now than it was when I was younger and, as a previous poster has pointed out, think this has something to do with their bad relationship with Celtic and their obsessive hatred of us. It is also noticeable that when they used to play Oldco at the PBS, there was a much tamer atmosphere than when we played Oldco at Easter Road.
But Hibs are not a sectarian club in any way, shape or form nowadays and, as another poster has said, we have achieved a proper balance between acknowledging our roots without becoming defined by them. We're in a position which is somewhere between Dundee United, who eradicated their past and Celtic, who live in the past!

lyonhibs
23-02-2013, 04:27 PM
Scouse, you come across like a bit of a bully. You like to pass smart comments on almost a daily basis but when it gets done to you out comes the scally. I can trace my links with Hibs back to the early 1900's and my entire family heritage is Leith based. Religion played a large part in this club and its supporters lives for nearly 90 years and it is ingrained in many of us. You are a blow in who could not begin to understand that so take your own advice and run along.

:confused: My days, what a lot of condescending, pseudo-romantic pish. Tell me, what does the Catholic roots of our club back in 1875 have to do with a game of football due to take place on March 10th 2013.

This is a messageboard. For the exchange of opinions, not for supporters to pontificate that other supporters shouldn't have an opinion because they are a "blow in".

Scouse Hibee
23-02-2013, 04:28 PM

I think you are missing the point as to the OP's question and my answer. I didn't question or belittle whether religion was ingrained or not or doubt the heritage of any supporter posting on the issue. I gave MY opinions based on my experience and beliefs on the matter. I don't see why you have such a big problem with that and to be honest I couldn't care less if you do, as for the "you're a blow in" comment it really tells me something about you that I don't like.

Time For Heroes
23-02-2013, 05:03 PM
I reckon we need a thread outlining what Scouse can and can't comment on!
Obviously the national team is a no.
What an absolute joke, why provoke someone and jump to conclusions based on a bloody username?!
I think we should start a thread about racism instead ;0)

SaudiHibby
23-02-2013, 05:08 PM
I think you are missing the point as to the OP's question and my answer. I didn't question or belittle whether religion was ingrained or not or doubt the heritage of any supporter posting on the issue. I gave MY opinions based on my experience and beliefs on the matter. I don't see why you have such a big problem with that and to be honest I couldn't care less if you do, as for the "you're a blow in" comment it really tells me something about you that I don't like.

My dislike of you grows by the day. :na na:

Pretty Boy
23-02-2013, 05:13 PM
I'm a Catholic but it had no influence on my choice of football team.

I went through a silly phase at about 16 when I bought a ROI football top and learned the words to the Foggy Dew and Boys of the Old Brigade but that soon passed.

I honestly don't think Hibs have a problem with sectarianism, a couple of tricolours isn't an issur really, daft maybe but not a big deal.

Whilst I think Hearts have a few more idiots, Section N and that HMFC flute band that put the videk on youtube for example, I don' t really think they have a massive sectarian problem either, in fact most of the Hearts fans I know are Catholic.

NORTHERNHIBBY
23-02-2013, 05:14 PM
If the answer to the question about which church you go to, is none, the second question in Scotland, is, well which church is it that you don't go to.

Scouse Hibee
23-02-2013, 05:31 PM
I reckon we need a thread outlining what Scouse can and can't comment on!
Obviously the national team is a no.
What an absolute joke, why provoke someone and jump to conclusions based on a bloody username?!
I think we should start a thread about racism instead ;0)

But I like commenting on the national team :greengrin

Even though I clearly have no right to and can't begin to understand how it is ingrained and part of your heritage............................wait a minute, might I have an understanding in relation to how I feel about England? :confused:

Keith_M
23-02-2013, 05:37 PM

While it pains me to stand up for the 'Scouse Git', it actually reads more like YOU are the one being a bully.

Apparently, he's a Johnny Come Lately and not up to your standards for being a Hibby. Just Wow!!

Hibrandenburg
23-02-2013, 05:40 PM

I say thank dog for blow ins. If it wasn't for blow ins or outside influences our club would probably still be in the dark ages. You could even say that the founding fathers of our club were blow ins in their own right.

Scouse Hibee
23-02-2013, 05:41 PM
While it pains me to stand up for the 'Scouse Git', it actually reads more like YOU are the one being a bully.

Apparently, he's a Johnny Come Lately and not up to your standards for being a Hibby. Just Wow!!

:greengrin

Hibrandenburg
23-02-2013, 05:43 PM

:agree:

marinello59
23-02-2013, 05:44 PM

A horrific mixture of self aggrandisement and misty eyed garbage. Dearie me. By your standards I should go and find another team to follow.

NOLA
23-02-2013, 05:49 PM
What's a blow in? ;)

SaudiHibby
23-02-2013, 05:51 PM
A horrific mixture of self aggrandisement and misty eyed garbage. Dearie me. By your standards I should go and find another team to follow.

Misty eyed garbage! :rolleyes:

weonlywon6-2
23-02-2013, 05:54 PM

Yes sadly we do but knowhere near as bad as what goes on in the pink palace.They have a bad element to their support and follow the relgious thing far more than hibs do.

They even had fans in the KKK for goodness sake,was a while ago but for gods sake,how sad can you get:rolleyes:

LeighLoyal
23-02-2013, 06:05 PM
I recall the Tim Malloys song used to be sung, sung it myself, but it's died out. Hibs are a progressive club and a broad church. Other clubs have Irish connections: Man U, Everton, Leeds, Arsenal, obviously those are less evident than us but it's in the distant past. As far as the church or churches go, no I don't see any real link today. Firmly lapsed Catholic and agnostic so it never meant much to me anyway and neither does it mean anything to my mates who are of the maroon persuasion, although they have their share of 'Jack' idiots.

Hibrandenburg
23-02-2013, 06:05 PM
What's a blow in? ;)

An uninvited outsider or someone who is not local or foreign.

lyonhibs
23-02-2013, 06:08 PM
Yes sadly we do but knowhere near as bad as what goes on in the pink palace.They have a bad element to their support and follow the relgious thing far more than hibs do.

They even had fans in the KKK for goodness sake,was a while ago but for gods sake,how sad can you get:rolleyes:

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee116/fuuey/GoOn.gif

I'm intrigued.

Scouse Hibee
What's a blow in? ;)

Someone who adopted Hibs more than 20 years ago :greengrin

marinello59
Misty eyed garbage! :rolleyes:

The way you put it, yes. I am very proud of our roots and even prouder of the fact that we can be comfortable with them whilst looking forward.
Funny, it's the self aggrandisement comment I thought you would have taken umbrage with.

Keith_M

You're welcome, but don't let it go to your head!

Chibs
23-02-2013, 06:18 PM
What's a blow in? ;)
Exactly.no idea myself but if it involves McFud and ruinov I will laugh my socks off.

weonlywon6-2
23-02-2013, 06:24 PM
http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee116/fuuey/GoOn.gif

I'm intrigued.

They used to meet in the Haymarket Bar for their meetings.STV i think it was did a documentary on the KKK in Scotland.One of them was called "Billy" strangely enough and was a postie in the Dalry area,jambo as well.Sad *******:rolleyes:

Pete
23-02-2013, 06:26 PM
Hearts are getting worse. Angry young men look for an identity and they take the easy option: wrap up in a union flag and learn to detest anything Irish or catholic. They are cowards.

blackpoolhibs
23-02-2013, 06:28 PM

I was brought up in Tenant street, in one of those room and kitchen tennemant flats. My dad and my grandad both Hibs supporters who took me every week to Easter road. I dont remember any rebelfests, i remember many drunken nights though?

Its certainly not part of me, it certainly was not part of my family. I remember the songs in the 70s, anyone who was there will remember them. They have gone now, they are no longer sung.

We have moved on, it seems you have not?

degenerated
23-02-2013, 06:31 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36tNaI2NtmE

:cb

They've all got a similar look about them :agree: Show them a bit of glass and they'd struggle to keep their tongues off it.

Time For Heroes
23-02-2013, 06:37 PM
But I like commenting on the national team :greengrin

Even though I clearly have no right to and can't begin to understand how it is ingrained and part of your heritage............................wait a minute, might I have an understanding in relation to how I feel about England? :confused:

Haha
Hibs should make these 'blow ins' take a Hibs citizenship test before we even think about letting them into Easter Road AND ban them from away games! Imagine the embarrassment if our rivals found out we had foreign folk in out section.

The Green Goblin
23-02-2013, 06:47 PM
Supporters out, blow ins in

HUTCHYHIBBY
23-02-2013, 06:54 PM

Certainly does, luckily at a much smaller level than the weegies or yams tho!

HUTCHYHIBBY
23-02-2013, 07:00 PM

I've only read page 1 so far but this should be fun!

Cabbage East
23-02-2013, 07:23 PM
Scouse Hibee desperately trying hard as usual.

NOLA
23-02-2013, 08:17 PM
They used to meet in the Haymarket Bar for their meetings.STV i think it was did a documentary on the KKK in Scotland.One of them was called "Billy" strangely enough and was a postie in the Dalry area,jambo as well.Sad *******:rolleyes:

was KKK not started by scots? probably jambos, another claim to fame for the "famous"

M6hibee
23-02-2013, 08:52 PM
was KKK not started by scots? probably jambos, another claim to fame for the "famous"

Don't think so those involved may have had scots ancestry. They stole the burning cross from the highland clans who used to use it to raise the clans, such as the Jacobite rebellions. Interesting point in this context is the kkk are vehemently anti-catholic and the majority of highland clans were catholic

Jonnyboy
23-02-2013, 09:01 PM
As others have said the Hibs support liked a wee IRA ditty or two in the 70's but thankfully that's all behind us now.

Just a wee aside ... Tony Higgins once told a story of how he was abused at Ibrox when he came off the park to be subbed. As he approached the bench a wee hun wifey screamed "Higgins, eff off ya big fenian basturt" and then as Tony sat down she leant over the wall and said quietly "Sorry son, ah ken yer no a pape cos ah went tae school wi yer Maw" :greengrin

Iggy Pope
23-02-2013, 09:06 PM

His name was Bernie and he was the saddest, fattest ****wit of a virgin you could ever have had the misfortune to step over in the street.

marinello59
23-02-2013, 09:08 PM
As others have said the Hibs support liked a wee IRA ditty or two in the 70's but thankfully that's all behind us now.

Just a wee aside ... Tony Higgins once told a story of how he was abused at Ibrox when he came off the park to be subbed. As he approached the bench a wee hun wifey screamed "Higgins, eff off ya big fenian basturt" and then as Tony sat down she leant over the wall and said quietly "Sorry son, ah ken yer no a pape cos ah went tae school wi yer Maw" :greengrin

Pretty Boy
23-02-2013, 09:09 PM

Not really sure what he has done wrong on this thread to be honest.

Taking a lot of unwarranted abuse because of some 'unspecified' criteria about being a real fan. Load of uber fan nonsense if you ask me.

Baldy Foghorn
23-02-2013, 09:09 PM

Selective bigotry back then:cb

Baldy Foghorn
23-02-2013, 09:11 PM
His name was Bernie and he was the saddest, fattest ****wit of a virgin you could ever have had the misfortune to step over in the street.

Could be reading your post wrongly, but I get the impression you don't have any time for Bernie:faf:

Hibrandenburg
23-02-2013, 09:16 PM

Explain!

Time For Heroes
23-02-2013, 09:21 PM
Not really sure what he has done wrong on this thread to be honest.

Taking a lot of unwarranted abuse because of some 'unspecified' criteria about being a real fan. Load of uber fan nonsense if you ask me.
Agreed!

TrickyNicky
23-02-2013, 09:38 PM

We're all trying hard mate, even wee papes like me!:greengrin

TrickyNicky
23-02-2013, 09:43 PM

That's a gem!

Iggy Pope
23-02-2013, 09:49 PM

I can maybe see how that might be funny coming out of big Tony's mouth but looking at it here, it smacks of the 'Glesca banter' or a ****ty Only An Excuse out-take.

Scouse Hibee
23-02-2013, 09:50 PM

Trying hard to understand the reaction to my answering the OP nothing else!

Jonnyboy
23-02-2013, 09:56 PM
I can maybe see how that might be funny coming out of big Tony's mouth but looking at it here, it smacks of the 'Glesca banter' or a ****ty Only An Excuse out-take.

It was :wink:

TrickyNicky
23-02-2013, 09:58 PM
Trying hard to understand the reaction to my answering the OP nothing else!

The bevvy can make Saturday night a bit rough up the Hibs.net, no fir the fainthearted or blow-ins.:wink:

marinello59
23-02-2013, 10:01 PM
The bevvy can make Saturday night a bit rough up the Hibs.net, no fir the fainthearted or blow-ins.:wink:

What the **** are you on about you ****ing ****er. Hic! :greengrin

Scouse Hibee
23-02-2013, 10:03 PM

Nowt to do with bevvy mate, and I've had rougher nights trust me :greengrin

TrickyNicky
23-02-2013, 10:04 PM
http://www.hibs.net/images/hibsnet/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Jonnyboy http://www.hibs.net/images/hibsnet/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?p=3514143#post3514143)

:worms: Strap yourselves in people!

Scouse Hibee
23-02-2013, 10:06 PM
http://www.hibs.net/images/hibsnet/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Jonnyboy http://www.hibs.net/images/hibsnet/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?p=3514143#post3514143)

:worms: Strap yourselves in people!

About time you put your bevvy away, you're seeing things that aren't there. :wink:

TrickyNicky
23-02-2013, 10:06 PM
What the **** are you on about you ****ing ****er. Hic! :greengrin

It's virtuallothianroadonasaturdaynightin1985.net :greengrin (http://www.virtuallothianroadonasaturdaynightin1985.com:g reengrin)

HUTCHYHIBBY
23-02-2013, 10:20 PM
Jonnyboy, you obviously know your stuff re the history of the club, do you seriously believe that pish is behind us now? Some people on here have let their masks slip recently, particularly since Pats appointment if I'm being honest. IMHO there's a veneer that every now again is rubbed away. Maybe I'm wrong though. I'll not be naming names, depending on your individual view you can suss it out for yourself.

sadtom
23-02-2013, 10:24 PM
I'm a born again athiest. Originally a catholic but more co-lapsed than lapsed. :greengrin
Politically i have republican sympathies and as as few others have mentioned sang the songs at ER in the 70's/early 80's. I'd say i could reach yer average 'green brigader' a thing or to when it came to singing the reb tunes. Though i rarely do so these days.
Was delighted when it died out out at ER. Not just because i didn't think it has any place at fitba (which it doesnt) but also because it 'trivialised' what i thought was a deadly serious issue.
It makes me proud that we have moved on from those days though.
Edinburgh has a longer history of sectarianism than any other part of Scotland, one of the reasons for our inception and to the hostilty and opposition we faced. The clubs founders fought to be included, so it would seem daft to me to not accept that we have been and are integrated into the wider community.
Along with the fact that Embra saw the 1st wave of Irish immigration, while the later larger waves settled more in glasgow and dundee, i think we are a bit more 'mature' in our attitude.
Celtc never really had the fight for recognition that we had and i think that is reflected in their continued projection of themselves.
Some would suggest they are a bunch o fekkin 'badge-wearers'. They still like to see themselves as 'underdogs' and persecuted, and seek to almost 'exclude' themselves as 'outsiders'. Their club is quite the opposite. Far from being underdogs or or outsiders, in football terms they are very much 'bullies' and 'establishment', but that does not suit their view of themselves. In almost polar opposite to our club they seem to be fighting to be seen as 'different' and not struggling to be the same or integrated.
I went to St Tams and out of about 70 lads we had no huns, 2 jambos and a slight majority of Hibbies ahead of celtc. Now my kids go to the same school and from what i can tell, a far greater number of kids have came from non denominational (or proddy, as we used to call them:wink:) primaries than back in my day. This might be why there seems to be a closer split when it comes to clubs supported. From what they tell me, there are 1 or 2 sticky buns but about 30% hertz 30% celtc and a slight majority of Hibs.
I dont think its possible, or even desirable, to totally remove 'politics' from football, its part of the clubs D.N.A. I'd still like to hope that as an 'immigrant' club we are more open minded, inclusive and essentially more 'left wing' in our make up than our city neebs. Though it is cenrtainly not exclusive. I know we have our share of NF/BNP/SDL phantoms, though i reckon its far less than across the city.
I reckon we will have a fair number of our fans who have republican leanings but for no reason other than, like politics and religion, football teams are passed on through families.
As for the post about the KKK i also remember it. Fat Bernie (not billy as previously stated, who i once had the pleasure of smacking in the pus) who used to hang out with the Union Jack huns bus and 2 of his lackies, claiming to start an Embra branch of 'the klan'. Though their activities amounted to setting fire to a cross in the middle of some wasteground near murrayfield in the dead of the night. All it did was serve to show them as the pathetic excuses of trailer trash that they are.
Supposedly 'incognito' behind there 'hoods' for the interview, i seem to recall that bernie had a short sleve t-shirt on where the tats on his arms exposed his identity. What a thick plum.
IIRC, even more amusing was one of his hangers on, appeared to have got his mum to make his 'hood', as the holes for the eyes looked to be too close together! He spent the entire 'interview' squinting beneath his hood in order to see. Ah the master race. Dontchjustluvem.

Nomeancity
23-02-2013, 11:25 PM
Couldn't agree more. I'm a hibby because my dad took me to Easter road. If he took me to tynecastle then I would be a jambo - simple as that.
i bet most football fans are the same.
Religion and football - grow up.

SaudiHibby
24-02-2013, 04:34 AM
I was brought up in Tenant street, in one of those room and kitchen tennemant flats. My dad and my grandad both Hibs supporters who took me every week to Easter road. I dont remember any rebelfests, i remember many drunken nights though?

Its certainly not part of me, it certainly was not part of my family. I remember the songs in the 70s, anyone who was there will remember them. They have gone now, they are no longer sung.

We have moved on, it seems you have not?

Corunna Place. I said in my first post that I was glad the sectarian singing ect had gone and its a fact that I am proud of as i was one of the many who didnt pass it on :confused: Scouse and I just have to agree to disagree. I don't like the cut of his jib.

Lucius Apuleius
24-02-2013, 04:47 AM
I'm a born again athiest. Originally a catholic but more co-lapsed than lapsed. :greengrin
Politically i have republican sympathies and as as few others have mentioned sang the songs at ER in the 70's/early 80's. I'd say i could reach yer average 'green brigader' a thing or to when it came to singing the reb tunes. Though i rarely do so these days.
Was delighted when it died out out at ER. Not just because i didn't think it has any place at fitba (which it doesnt) but also because it 'trivialised' what i thought was a deadly serious issue.
Edinburgh has a longer history of sectarianism than any other part of Scotland, one of the reasons for our inception and to the hostilty and opposition we faced. The clubs founders fought to be included, so it would seem daft to me to not accept that we have been and are integrated into the wider community.
Along with the fact that Embra saw the 1st wave of Irish immigration, while the later larger waves settled more in glasgow and dundee, i think we are a bit more 'mature' in our attitude.
Celtc never really had the fight for recognition that we had and i think that is reflected in their continued projection of themselves.
Some would suggest they are a bunch o fekkin 'badge-wearers'. They still like to see themselves as 'underdogs' and persecuted, and seek to almost 'exclude' themselves as 'outsiders'. Their club is quite the opposite. Far from being underdogs or or outsiders, in football terms they are very much 'bullies' and 'establishment', but that does not suit their view of themselves. In almost polar opposite to our club they seem to be fighting to be seen as 'different' and not struggling to be the same or integrated.
I went to St Tams and out of about 70 lads we had no huns, 2 jambos and a slight majority of Hibbies ahead of celtc. Now my kids go to the same school and from what i can tell, a far greater number of kids have came from non denominational (or proddy, as we used to call them:wink:) primaries than back in my day. This might be why there seems to be a closer split when it comes to clubs supported. From what they tell me, there are 1 or 2 sticky buns but about 30% hertz 30% celtc and a slight majority of Hibs.
I dont think its possible, or even desirable, to totally remove 'politics' from football, its part of the clubs D.N.A. I'd still like to hope that as an 'immigrant' club we are more open minded, inclusive and essentially more 'left wing' in our make up than our city neebs. Though it is cenrtainly not exclusive. I know we have our share of NF/BNP/SDL phantoms, though i reckon its far less than across the city.
I reckon we will have a fair number of our fans who have republican leanings but for no reason other than, like politics and religion, football teams are passed on through families.
As for the post about the KKK i also remember it. Fat Bernie (not billy as previously stated, who i once had the pleasure of smacking in the pus) who used to hang out with the Union Jack huns bus and 2 of his lackies, claiming to start an Embra branch of 'the klan'. Though their activities amounted to setting fire to a cross in the middle of some wasteground near murrayfield in the dead of the night. All it did was serve to show them as the pathetic excuses of trailer trash that they are.
Supposedly 'incognito' behind there 'hoods' for the interview, i seem to recall that bernie had a short sleve t-shirt on where the tats on his arms exposed his identity. What a thick plum.
IIRC, even more amusing was one of his hangers on, appeared to have got his mum to make his 'hood', as the holes for the eyes looked to be too close together! He spent the entire 'interview' squinting beneath his hood in order to see. Ah the master race. Dontchjustluvem.

Saved me writing a fair bit, especially the first paragraph. A little ditty often escapes my lips now and then when Dionysus has had his wicked way with me. However it was NEVER about religion, I am a church going Proddie, it was about the Republican movement. Would there still be Republicanism in Ireland if they were not different religions? I think so. It was all about the breakaway and independance of a nation. Unfortunately those for happened to be of a Roman persuasion and those against not. It still intrigues me how many people go on about religion yet probably could not tell the last time they set foot in a church/chapel.

.Sean.
24-02-2013, 06:21 AM
Religion is a pile of piss anyway, the biggest lie ever. The majority of ********s who bring it into the football don't have the first idea about it anyway, and that's the worst of it.

I'd be surprised if any OF fans could tell me the difference between a Protestant and a Catholic without using Google.

Lucius Apuleius
24-02-2013, 06:46 AM
Religion is a pile of piss anyway, the biggest lie ever. The majority of ********s who bring it into the football don't have the first idea about it anyway, and that's the worst of it.

I'd be surprised if any OF fans could tell me the difference between a Protestant and a Catholic without using Google.

What is the difference? :wink:

Scouse Hibee
24-02-2013, 06:49 AM
Corunna Place. I said in my first post that I was glad the sectarian singing ect had gone and its a fact that I am proud of as i was one of the many who didnt pass it on :confused: Scouse and I just have to agree to disagree. I don't like the cut of his jib.

We've got nothing to agree or disagree with, I answered the OP's question and you felt it appropriate to comment that I had no understanding of the matter or a right to comment on it as a "blow in". A point that has made you look rather foolish, I will agree on that.

Brizo
24-02-2013, 08:03 AM

Good post :thumbsup:

Ive a number of mates with Irish Catholic ancestry who support the Hibs and who are proud of our history. But they include atheists, agnostics, Protestants and those who count themselves as Catholic are mainly of the lapsed variety. In our 21st century secular society the "religion" label in relation to the Hibs support is irrelevant and that extends to that section of the support who share the clubs origins.

IMO the label "religion" in respect of fitba bigotry is just that, a label. Bigots on both sides hatred is primarily cultural directed towards the Irish nationalist/unionist divide. Theyre not arguing about rellgion per se transubstantiation (sp) or the writings of John Knox :greengrin.

In terms of our origins i think our clubs got it spot on. As a previous poster said we are somehere between Dundee United and Celtc, respecting our history but not wallowing in it. As a support we binned the rebs 30 years ago and have a miniscule bigot element. Unfortunately too many Jambos are still of the Sectiion N mindset and I think they have a substantial minority of that ilk.

The Union Jack bus.... thats a blast from the past. Haymarket could be an interestiing place on a Saturday :greengrin

Pete
24-02-2013, 08:12 AM

Scouse hibee in, arguments in.

Scouse Hibee
24-02-2013, 08:16 AM
Scouse hibee in, arguments in.

What see you want you see to.

M6hibee
24-02-2013, 08:17 AM
The Union Jack bus.... thats a blast from the past. Haymarket could be an interestiing place on a Saturday :greengrin

Notorious. Them and the CCS have had their run ins down the years. Horrible lot

SanFranHibs
24-02-2013, 08:31 AM
Don't think so those involved may have had scots ancestry. They stole the burning cross from the highland clans who used to use it to raise the clans, such as the Jacobite rebellions. Interesting point in this context is the kkk are vehemently anti-catholic and the majority of highland clans were catholic

I know a few Klansmen from Alabama, whom I worked with in Washington D.C. I was surprised that they were all Catholics. And a couple from California when I lived there. Again, both Catholic.

Progress? :wink:

So Scouse Hibee, something for us all to look forward to?

And as for those dirty Dundee Hibernian....wait till we get those blow-ins this afternoon. ;)

Like all Hibees now I would guess.....only interested in the result today....not the history of the church. With regards to history and Hibs I am very narrow minded....can't seem to forget the days of old like......0-7, 6-2, Famous Five, Stanton and Turnbull's Tornadoes, Sauzee and of course Tortalono (Super Joe to his friends).

What a mixed-up, muddled up world, except for Lola......

:flag:

One Day
24-02-2013, 08:51 AM
What is the difference? :wink:

Protestant religions emerged after Marin Luther challenged the Catholic church for reform because the Catholic church was 'selling forgiveness' to raise money for the church. That's how the first protestant church came to be--the Lutheran church. Then others started breaking away even further starting many different protestant religions. For instance, Methodists are protestant, Presbyterians are protestant, Baptist are protestant, and so on. And they all have their own different spin on Christianity.

Taken from yahoo answers

HUTCHYHIBBY
24-02-2013, 09:00 AM
Protestant religions emerged after Marin Luther challenged the Catholic church for reform because the Catholic church was 'selling forgiveness' to raise money for the church.

Is that why James Earl Ray assassinated him then?

blackpoolhibs
24-02-2013, 09:17 AM

Maybe only a wee bit then? :confused:

M6hibee
24-02-2013, 10:38 AM
I know a few Klansmen from Alabama, whom I worked with in Washington D.C. I was surprised that they were all Catholics. And a couple from California when I lived there. Again, both Catholic.

Progress? :wink:

So Scouse Hibee, something for us all to look forward to?

And as for those dirty Dundee Hibernian....wait till we get those blow-ins this afternoon. ;)

Like all Hibees now I would guess.....only interested in the result today....not the history of the church. With regards to history and Hibs I am very narrow minded....can't seem to forget the days of old like......0-7, 6-2, Famous Five, Stanton and Turnbull's Tornadoes, Sauzee and of course Tortalono (Super Joe to his friends).

What a mixed-up, muddled up world, except for Lola......

:flag:

Fair enough mate. I know traditionally they were anti-catholic, maybe time have changed

Hibs90
24-02-2013, 10:50 AM
There's a Hibs fan who regulary DJ's up town who also regulary attends Celtic matches and wants them to win. Quite sickening infact, as I'm sure the lad never used to be like that :rolleyes:

SaudiHibby
24-02-2013, 11:09 AM
Maybe only a wee bit then? :confused:

Very few Bedouins and Tuaregs are going to mortally offended when, when out of it on Sidiqui, i belt out 'to the echo of the Thomson gun' Blackpool. :rolleyes:

M6hibee
24-02-2013, 11:14 AM
There's a Hibs fan who regulary DJ's up town who also regulary attends Celtic matches and wants them to win. Quite sickening infact, as I'm sure the lad never used to be like that :rolleyes:

Agreed. Ill be honest, I have a lot more disdain for the yams and the Huns but also hate this idea by some that we have some kind of connection with celtc. Horrible lot and their constant self-appreciation is sickening

blackpoolhibs
24-02-2013, 11:16 AM
Very few Bedouins and Tuaregs are going to mortally offended when, when out of it on Sidiqui, i belt out 'to the echo of the Thomson gun' Blackpool. :rolleyes:

As i said earlier, Hibs have moved on.

lord bunberry
24-02-2013, 11:32 AM

Did bernie not run the gorgie sons of william bus. A complete tool

Pretty Boy
24-02-2013, 12:14 PM

I don't even know Bernie but a guy who supports the KKK, Herts and runs a football supporters bus called 'The sons of William' is clearly all the things he has been describes as on here.

AndyM_1875
24-02-2013, 12:17 PM
I don't even know Bernie but a guy who supports the KKK, Herts and runs a football supporters bus called 'The sons of William' is clearly all the things he has been describes as on here.

Was the description of 'a complete arse' PB? This chap certainly sounds it.

I don't see the need for anyone to bring any of that load of old bollocks to a football match in Scotland in the 21st Century. I support Hibs because I'm from Edinburgh and I always found Jambos to be dicks.
That a good enough reason?

sadtom
24-02-2013, 01:08 PM

:agree: Pretty sure he did. He stopped going to hertz games when they stopped letting him take his dog in with him IIRC. (i think the dug wiz the brains of he operation!)
He defo hung about with 'Coco' and the other assorted, hard of thinking, loyalist, neo nazi w*nkstains of the Union Jack huns bus. Though (again IIRC) i think, they all fell out with each other as to who got to be 'fuhrer'!
As an aside, i'm fairly sure Bernie was sacked from the post office for kicking a cat to death in a stair.
Adverts for compulsory abortion, the *****in' lot of them.

Jonnyboy
24-02-2013, 07:59 PM
Jonnyboy, you obviously know your stuff re the history of the club, do you seriously believe that pish is behind us now? Some people on here have let their masks slip recently, particularly since Pats appointment if I'm being honest. IMHO there's a veneer that every now again is rubbed away. Maybe I'm wrong though. I'll not be naming names, depending on your individual view you can suss it out for yourself.

I do to the extent that pro IRA songs have not been sung by Hibs fans at ER for many a long year aye :agree:

M6hibee
24-02-2013, 08:15 PM
I do to the extent that pro IRA songs have not been sung by Hibs fans at ER for many a long year aye :agree:

Agreed. Still see the Irish tricolour but there is no reason to condemn that IMO and we do have some support still from across the water. Haven't heard IRA stuff in a long long time

HUTCHYHIBBY
24-02-2013, 08:47 PM

Theres nae mention of pro IRA songs in the OP or in my post, nae mention of just restricting the topic to ER either, although I'm happy to concur I've not heard it at a game for a long time, its still out there though.

Jonnyboy
24-02-2013, 09:04 PM
Theres nae mention of pro IRA songs in the OP or in my post, nae mention of just restricting the topic to ER either, although I'm happy to concur I've not heard it at a game for a long time, its still out there though.

Agreed there is no mention of pro IRA songs in the OP but the thread expanded out from that and my original post was that I was glad the IRA nonsense had long since stopped at ER. You then asked me if I believed that and I said yes in relation to the fans having long since stopped singing it! TBH I'm confused by your post quoted here but at my age, confusion comes easily :greengrin

FWIW I agree there are occasional glimpses of this 'stuff' but am glad that from a Hibs/ER perspective they are only very occasional and never amount to anything of consequence

HUTCHYHIBBY
24-02-2013, 09:18 PM
Agreed there is no mention of pro IRA songs in the OP but the thread expanded out from that and my original post was that I was glad the IRA nonsense had long since stopped at ER. You then asked me if I believed that and I said yes in relation to the fans having long since stopped singing it! TBH I'm confused by your post quoted here but at my age, confusion comes easily :greengrin

FWIW I agree there are occasional glimpses of this 'stuff' but am glad that from a Hibs/ER perspective they are only very occasional and never amount to anything of consequence

Fair enough. Lets just blame it on the blow ins! ;-)

Jonnyboy
24-02-2013, 09:20 PM
Fair enough. Lets just blame it on the blow ins! ;-)