PDA

View Full Version : At Easter Road They Play by John Campbell

ano hibby
22-02-2013, 09:56 PM
Have recently finished the above book by one of our very own, couldn't see another thread about it for everyone's views so thought I'd start one.

The book obviously covers a wonderful period in Hibernian history, covering Famous Five, the Championship flags, European nights as well as a lot of English & European floodlight friendlies, emergence of Baker, Hamilton etc and of course onging misery in the Scottish Cup & against our dear neighbours! Book is wonderfully written & researched in my opinion, evoking strong emotions of the period..just made me wish i was there at the time given what we have witnessed in recent years!! When will we see their likes again, quite possibly never I guess.

Cant wait for next instalment covering Turnbulls Tornados and the era which i'll start to be able to remember games!

Great book I'd thoroughly recommend it to all especially for parents/grandparents who will remember some/many of the matches (all of which are recorded individually).

Big 10/10 from me. Thumbs up smiley :)

Anyone else read it?

Brizo
23-02-2013, 11:22 AM
I am reading it at the moment and enjoying it.

It has obviously been a long term time consuming labour of love for our resident author and is very well written. Each chapter covers a season and contains a huge amount of match stats and facts. As a reference book its second to none.

Tin helmet time on but I am finding it a bit dry and a bit stats heavy. With so many players and fans still around from that era I would have liked to have seen some anecdotes included from them describing how they felt about that eras fantastic successes and how they celebrated them. As many may not be around in ten or twenty years time maybe an opportunity missed ? For me, it was also a bit light on the social history side of things as I enjoy reading about what life was like for players and fans of a particular era.

Just my honest opinion, likes.

Jonnyboy
23-02-2013, 09:51 PM
I am reading it at the moment and enjoying it.

It has obviously been a long term time consuming labour of love for our resident author and is very well written. Each chapter covers a season and contains a huge amount of match stats and facts. As a reference book its second to none.

Tin helmet time on but I am finding it a bit dry and a bit stats heavy. With so many players and fans still around from that era I would have liked to have seen some anecdotes included from them describing how they felt about that eras fantastic successes and how they celebrated them. As many may not be around in ten or twenty years time maybe an opportunity missed ? For me, it was also a bit light on the social history side of things as I enjoy reading about what life was like for players and fans of a particular era.

Just my honest opinion, likes.

And perfectly acceptable it is too brizo :thumbsup:

Thanks for buying :aok: