PDA

View Full Version : Hibs goals from direct free kicks

Purple & Green
22-02-2013, 11:25 AM
What's your favourite?

What ones are memorable?

My favourite - and it's still one of the best I've ever seen - was Joe McBrides at the pink bus shelter in the mid 80's - perfectly placed and in off the post. Henry wasn't within a yard of it.

I seem to remember Gary Caldwell scoring one, bizarre as it seems now.

Suburban Hibby
22-02-2013, 11:28 AM
What's your favourite?

What ones are memorable?

My favourite - and it's still one of the best I've ever seen - was Joe McBrides at the pink bus shelter in the mid 80's - perfectly placed and in off the post. Henry wasn't within a yard of it.

Added bonus for McBrides was it was the equaliser in a game we were never in- was one of those ' lets go mental Tynie' moments!

danhibees1875
22-02-2013, 11:30 AM
Riordan scored a peach against Celtic on a snowy winters day a few years back. Boruc got a touch but it was never going anywhere but the top bag.

Think we lost 2-1 though. Snow was horrendous in Fife and me and my Dad had a long walk to the train station to get through to the game.

I think Fletch got one not after Riordan left for 'tic (possibly in the 7-0 v Livi) which boosted confidence after losing what I'd associated as our only way to score from freekicks. :greengrin

Also quite liked Leigh's V. Dundee the other month; I muttered 'we never score from freekicks anymore' just before he struck it. :doh:

GlenrothesHibee
22-02-2013, 11:32 AM
Sauzee against Falkirk. Last game of the 1st Division season. Absolute rocket

Danderhall Hibs
22-02-2013, 11:34 AM
Murphy in the SF of the League Cup ’07 – more for what it meant. I had just finished saying to my mate’s “what’s the point shooting from there”.

Peevemor
22-02-2013, 11:38 AM
Added bonus for McBrides was it was the equaliser in a game we were never in- was one of those ' lets go mental Tynie' moments!

:agree:

There are two that stick in my mind.

One was Ally MacLeod's famous effort against Dundee at ER. Scored into the the top right hand corner, the ref told him to retake because the wall had moved, so he then put it into the bottom left.

The second was an indirect free kick inside the box (pass back to the keeper) against Airdrie (???) at ER. Everyone got excited at these things but hardly anyone ever scored from them. Anyway someone side-footed the ball to Franck who papped it into the back of the net through a crowd of defenders at waist height like he didn't know what the fuss was all about.

Both of them definitely Hibs class. :aok:

Broken Gnome
22-02-2013, 11:49 AM
What's your favourite?

What ones are memorable?

Caldwell scored two free kicks, at Moherwell (overshadowed by Konte...) and at home to Kilmarnock. Think we scored two in that game, Thomson got one as well in the same half.

Zemmama flitted between brilliant and Kujabi-like at them, scored a couple of good ones though. Aberdeen at home? Can't remember who else.

Slightly off-topic, Suarez's last night was as good as you'll see.

Liams
22-02-2013, 11:52 AM
I remember zumma score one and can remember mutter to a few folk, that hes pish at freekicks, GOC against ict in a 1-0 ***** game last season as it was a must win! Did benji ever score one!?

IWasThere2016
22-02-2013, 12:03 PM

:agree: The one for me!

The Peev's mention of Ally McLeod is another classic!

patlowe
22-02-2013, 12:30 PM
In terms of quality, Riordan scored one towards the end of Yogi's era from about 35 yards against Killie in a 1-0 win. Awesome combination of power and accuracy.

MWHIBBIES
22-02-2013, 12:49 PM
In terms of quality, Riordan scored one towards the end of Yogi's era from about 35 yards against Killie in a 1-0 win. Awesome combination of power and accuracy.

Rotten video but here it is

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M424nbmc4qM

Purple & Green
22-02-2013, 01:24 PM
I've also a hazy memory of riordan scoring one against rangers, but it being given as an own goal because it scuffed the head of, perhaps, Hemdani, around 2006.

markom127
22-02-2013, 01:55 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfaafPO9xVk

This one

saltandsauce
22-02-2013, 09:34 PM

There are two that stick in my mind.

One was Ally MacLeod's famous effort against Dundee at ER. Scored into the the top right hand corner, the ref told him to retake because the wall had moved, so he then put it into the bottom left.

The second was an indirect free kick inside the box (pass back to the keeper) against Airdrie (???) at ER. Everyone got excited at these things but hardly anyone ever scored from them. Anyway someone side-footed the ball to Franck who papped it into the back of the net through a crowd of defenders at waist height like he didn't know what the fuss was all about.

Both of them definitely Hibs class. :aok:

Paul tosh scored at tannadice with an indirect free kick many moons ago,they are a rare thing when inside the box

s.a.m
22-02-2013, 09:35 PM
Paul tosh scored at tannadice with an indirect free kick many moons ago,they are a rare thing when inside the box

I remember that one! Pretty sure I remember a few against us as well.

Sweet Left Peg
23-02-2013, 08:39 AM
I remember playing a friendly years ago where our manager reffed the first half and their manager took the second. I can't recall exactly what the foul was but we were awarded a direct free kick inside the penalty box. Still baffles me.

The Sauzee free kick vs Falkirk helped win my first scorecast. Riordan scored a good one vs Killie to win 1-0. Only bright spot in the match.

HibbyAndy
23-02-2013, 08:51 AM

We have a winner.Screamer.

Barney McGrew
23-02-2013, 08:58 AM

Still rising when it went in.

"When the ball hits the net like a low flying jet, that's Franck Sauzee" :singing:

CallumLaidlaw
23-02-2013, 09:33 AM
Caldwell scored two free kicks, at Moherwell (overshadowed by Konte...) and at home to Kilmarnock. Think we scored two in that game, Thomson got one as well in the same half.

Zemmama flitted between brilliant and Kujabi-like at them, scored a couple of good ones though. Aberdeen at home? Can't remember who else.

Slightly off-topic, Suarez's last night was as good as you'll see.

Yeah Zemmama got one against Gretna. Think we were 2-0 down and won3-2 my mates were up from England so we did hospitality for the day. I also said to my mates, dunno why he's taking this, his free kicks are rubbi....GOAL!! :greengrin