PDA

View Full Version : Motherwell's Attendances - The McFadden Factor

Mikey
19-02-2013, 05:01 PM
In the same way as we're keeping an eye on Morcambe's attendances after their "free entry" promotion, I thought it would be interesting to see what happens to Motherwell's attendances for the rest of the season. Will he be a "bums on seats" signing or not??

So far their SPL home gates have been...........

4,490 v St Johnstone
4,559 v St Mirren
4,031 v ICT
10,496 v Celtic
5,301 v Hibs
3,941 v Dundee Utd
4,318 v Dundee
4,147 v Hearts
3,739 v Ross County
5,093 v Aberdeen
4,903 v Kilmarnock
3,649 v St Johnstone
4,179 v ICT

That's an average of 4,834.

After signing..........

4,463 v Dundee Utd
8,641 v Celtic
5,108 v Hibs

That's an average of 6070

The_Horde
19-02-2013, 05:05 PM
Who is their next game against?

hibs4thecup1988
19-02-2013, 05:06 PM
Dundee united tonight

Keith_M
19-02-2013, 05:07 PM
Will the results of this be as meaningless as your last attempt?

Football Club gives free entry, attendance increased for that game. Subsequent games revert to normal price, crowds revert to normal level. I'm not sure what your point was :confused:

frazeHFC
19-02-2013, 05:09 PM
Our good away support shows by that attendance! They have Utd at home tonight, will he be fit anyone know?

1two
19-02-2013, 05:11 PM

Football Club gives free entry, attendance increased for that game. Subsequent games revert to normal price, crowds revert to normal level. I'm not sure what your point was :confused:

People like free things?

frazeHFC
19-02-2013, 05:12 PM

Yeah but it was an 'experiment' so to speak. Fans that hadn't been for a while might have gone and enjoyed it / been encouraged to go back. Hasn't seemed to work but was interesting seeing what the effect would be.

Mikey
19-02-2013, 05:17 PM

What is it you think I'm trying to achieve? Whatever it is you obviously think I've failed.

Gatecrasher
19-02-2013, 06:03 PM
I think Mikey is just putting to test theories that promotions or big signings bring more people to the games. It will be interesting to see if this has any immediate or long term affect on thir crowds

Mikey
19-02-2013, 06:06 PM
I think Mikey is just putting to test theories that promotions or big signings bring more people to the games. It will be interesting to see if this has any immediate or long term affect on thir crowds

:agree:

That's exactly it. We're regularly told that various schemes will work so I think it's worth keeping an eye on these two.

Viva_Palmeiras
19-02-2013, 06:08 PM

That's exactly it. We're regularly told that various schemes will work so I think it's worth keeping an eye on these two.

But the speculate to accumulate theory trumps all ;)

Mikey
19-02-2013, 06:12 PM
But the speculate to accumulate theory trumps all ;)

I'll see your "speculate to accumulate" theory and raise you an "it'll sell more pies" :greengrin

M6hibee
19-02-2013, 06:13 PM
Dinnae think it will affect it tae much. Have tae hand it tae the steel men. I regard them as a much smaller club than us but they consistently dae well and finish above us! Example of what a club can achieve if ran well and they constantly do

NYHibby
19-02-2013, 06:18 PM

4,490 v St Johnstone
4,559 v St Mirren
4,031 v ICT
10,496 v Celtic
5,301 v Hibs
3,941 v Dundee Utd
4,318 v Dundee
4,147 v Hearts
5,289 v Dundee Utd
3,739 v Ross County
5,093 v Aberdeen
4,903 v Kilmarnock
3,649 v St Johnstone
4,179 v ICT

They are playing Dundee United tonight. How have they played one team at home three times before the split? I think something is wrong with your table...

As we all know, there are too many variables that affect attendance. In order to be able to draw any sort of meaningful conclusions, you would need to put together a data set and runs some regressions. You would then use a McFadden dummy variable.

By just eyeballing past attendances and the average, you won't be able to separate those factors, such as them being 2nd in the league now or their form at previous points in the seasons.

Mikey
19-02-2013, 06:23 PM
They are playing Dundee United tonight. How have they played one team at home three times before the split? I think something is wrong with your table...

As we all know, there are too many variables that affect attendance. In order to be able to draw any sort of meaningful conclusions, you would need to put together a data set and runs some regressions. You would then use a McFadden dummy variable.

By just eyeballing past attendances and the average, you won't be able to separate those factors, such as them being 2nd in the league now or their form at previous points in the seasons.

Indeed. The second one shouldn't be there. I'll tidy it up..............

rcarter1
19-02-2013, 06:33 PM
I agree with OP that this could be interesting to watch. Whether gates improve or not, its the kind of information that a chairman would be interested in getting hold of. If a player added 500 fans to a gate at easter road, thats about £10000 per match. You could pay a short term 'big signing' 5K/match appearance money rather than a contract and still profit financially (and hopefully do better on the pitch of course).

Very impressed by the attendance in the game vs Hibs - looks like a great away support unless there were other factors that led to a high attendance? :top marks for the away bunch!

500miles
19-02-2013, 06:38 PM
Dinnae think it will affect it tae much. Have tae hand it tae the steel men. I regard them as a much smaller club than us but they consistently dae well and finish above us! Example of what a club can achieve if ran well and they constantly do

Motherwell hardly have a history of being "well run". As well as them going into admin not all that long ago, they are as entrenched as anyone in the OF centric financial model of Scottish football.

cabbageandribs1875
19-02-2013, 06:50 PM
i wish stuart McColl would tell PF how to beat caley thistle after beating them 5-1 and 4-1 this season :(

Diclonius
19-02-2013, 06:56 PM
i wish stuart McColl would tell PF how to beat caley thistle after beating them 5-1 and 4-1 this season :(

Why would he?

cabbageandribs1875
19-02-2013, 07:13 PM

they havent, they played Dundee utd home and away in november and the 3rd game is at home tonight

Frazerbob
19-02-2013, 07:17 PM
Just said on Radio Scotland that they are expecting 11K at Fir Park tonight. That would be incredible!

Danderhall Hibs
19-02-2013, 08:08 PM

Keeping an eye on their results and finishing place in the Spl are fairly relevant. Also McFaddens contribution to that.

Ray_
19-02-2013, 08:39 PM
In the same way as we're keeping an eye on Morcambe's attendances after their "free entry" promotion, I thought it would be interesting to see what happens to Motherwell's attendances for the rest of the season. Will he be a "bums on seats" signing or not??

4,490 v St Johnstone
4,559 v St Mirren
4,031 v ICT
10,496 v Celtic
5,301 v Hibs
3,941 v Dundee Utd
4,318 v Dundee
4,147 v Hearts
3,739 v Ross County
5,093 v Aberdeen
4,903 v Kilmarnock
3,649 v St Johnstone
4,179 v ICT

Here's another [ex]Motherwell legend's best performance down south. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=O6OF43Ahd80#! :greengrin

Liam89
19-02-2013, 09:07 PM
4,633 tonight according to BBC Sportsound's twitter.

Albanian Hibs
19-02-2013, 09:09 PM
Just said on Radio Scotland that they are expecting 11K at Fir Park tonight. That would be incredible!

Sounds like a bit of yamathematics

Mikey
19-02-2013, 09:09 PM
4,633 tonight according to BBC Sportsound's twitter.

692 more than their last fixture against Dundee Utd.

Liam89
19-02-2013, 09:11 PM

+ It's a Tuesday night with Arsenal VS Bayern on the tv!

Ringothedog
19-02-2013, 09:18 PM

Why should that have an impact on the crowd. You either support a team by going or not. In their case not.

Danderhall Hibs
19-02-2013, 09:20 PM
Do you think they signed McFadden to get more through the gate or to help them finish 2nd?

madabouthibs
19-02-2013, 09:22 PM
The Hibs game was subsidised too was it not?
£10, and £5 for Concessions?

Liam89
19-02-2013, 09:22 PM
Why should that have an impact on the crowd. You either support a team by going or not. In their case not.

True, I'm just saying the conditions could be better but you're right.

lyonhibs
19-02-2013, 09:28 PM

If McFadden isn't fit enough for a 10 minute cameo, why is he even on the bench?? Odd.

1st weekend game at home and I think we'll see a bigger attendance, though like you say, that's something like a 15% increase on their last game vs Dundee United at Fir Park.

Ringothedog
19-02-2013, 10:17 PM
If McFadden isn't fit enough for a 10 minute cameo, why is he even on the bench?? Odd.

1st weekend game at home and I think we'll see a bigger attendance, though like you say, that's something like a 15% increase on their last game vs Dundee United at Fir Park.
Every club has a finite support, theirs is about 6500 to 7500.

jgl07
20-02-2013, 01:13 AM

This is Motherwell you are talking about. John Boyle brought in the likes of John Spencer from Everton for £500,000 and cut admission prices. It had zero impact on attendances.

It all ended in administration.

Keith_M
20-02-2013, 10:47 AM
What is it you think I'm trying to achieve? Whatever it is you obviously think I've failed.

You're obviously trying to make some point. Feel free to inform us of what it is, as I've obviously got it all wrong.

My guess was that you have a bee in your bonnet about people suggesting Hibs do certain things to increase the size of the crowd, reducing prices or make 'marquee' signings. If that's NOT the case, I'd be really interested in what you wanted to achieve by both of these threads.

hibsmad
20-02-2013, 10:58 AM
You're obviously trying to make some point. Feel free to inform us of what it is, as I've obviously got it all wrong.

My guess was that you have a bee in your bonnet about people suggesting Hibs do certain things to increase the size of the crowd, reducing prices or make 'marquee' signings. If that's NOT the case, I'd be really interested in what you wanted to achieve by both of these threads.

To be honest I am one who has felt for quite some time that Hibs should try more different ways to entice people to ER. My preference would be a reduced season ticket charge as an experiment for one season whereby the club make it clear to fans that in order for the experiment to be a success then we must sell x amount of tickets. There would then also be a reduction for walk up prices.

Anyway, not all fans feel this way as a lot don't think that it would work. I guess the point in threads like this one is to see how other teams get on when they try ways to entice fans back. I personally find it quite interesting.

Hibbyradge
20-02-2013, 10:59 AM

Many people argue that the cost of watching SPL matches keeps the crowds down.

Others argue that glamour signings would increase attendances so it's worth speculating to accumultae".

Research shows that reducing prices does not have a significant impact on attendances in the medium to longer term and the clubs who try it most definitely lose money.

Big name signings have virtually no effect on attendances. Few, if any, of the clubs who do this recoup the additional wages/transfer fees outlay from prize money.

Captain Trips
20-02-2013, 11:03 AM
Although I disagree with Mikey over many things I think this thread is a good one. It will give us some insight into what a player can influence off the field almost. I do not know the ins and outs of JM wages while at Motherwell but if the crowd increase from last fixture what 692 even at £10 a head is almost 7k, pull that in a few more times and he is paid for. What was the admission price?

Mikey
20-02-2013, 11:04 AM

There's no bee. At the end of the season we'll have two examples we can refer to which will provide endless opportunities for people to argue among themselves :greengrin

Big Frank
20-02-2013, 11:22 AM
Clubs reducing prices for one offs means jack ****.

Waste of time. Try reducing for a whole season, and marketed properly.

May help :wink:

Hibrandenburg
20-02-2013, 11:28 AM
Clubs reducing prices for one offs means jack ****.

Waste of time. Try reducing for a whole season, and marketed properly.

May help :wink:.

There are many different models that the club could look at to increase sales. Most golf clubs have overseas membership for example. It allows the holder to play a certain amount of rounds pro year at a lesser price than full membership with otherwise full membership benefits.

Learn from the busses, a sort of off peak season ticket that is valid only for certain category games.

Points system for buying things in the club store that gives you a discount on buying tickets or vice versa.

Loyalty season ticket, if you've bought one for the last 10 years (or 5) then get one free.

There are lots of systems in use out there used by other branches that can be adapted to football to encourage people through the gates.

Mikey
20-02-2013, 11:29 AM

Their previous game against Utd was on a Wednesday night. Don't know what was on TV :greengrin

Part/Time Supporter
20-02-2013, 11:42 AM
Their previous game against Utd was on a Wednesday night. Don't know what was on TV :greengrin

It was the same night as Celtic v Barcelona

Keith_M
20-02-2013, 02:23 PM
There's no bee. At the end of the season we'll have two examples we can refer to which will provide endless opportunities for people to argue among themselves :greengrin

Fair enough. FWIW, I personally don't think that Marquee signings make much difference in the long term either. I am one of the oldies that remembers George Best playing for Hibs and was at the home game v Partick with a crowd four times the size we would normally get. That didn't last, though, as what's most important is having a decent team, not a single 'must see' player.

I don't think McFadden was right for Hibs just now and I trust Fenlon to make decent choices of signing in the summer.

On the prices side, I would really like to see Hibs convert the FF front into terracing and charge lower prices for this area (perhaps 2/3 the price of a seat), as I think that would ensure we were still, as described by Paul, the 'working man's game'.

Pete
20-02-2013, 02:32 PM
Research shows that reducing prices does not have a significant impact on attendances in the medium to longer term and the clubs who try it most definitely lose money.

What research is this?

PatHead
20-02-2013, 02:44 PM
The other factor which surely must be taken into account is that they are 2nd in the league. I would expect that to attract a few punters.

Out of interest what was the crowd when they reduced prices against us last season?
How did it compare to the next home game against us?
Would the extra fans make up the shortfall in gate receipts?
Did that attract stay away fans who went along to that match along to other games?

That might assist in answering the "do cut prices attract enough fans to make up the shortfall" question?

One way that seems to work is to tell your fans that the club will die very soon if they don't turn up in numbers as it has worked well with Hearts as they sell out every game now.

Pete
20-02-2013, 02:46 PM
Every club has a finite support, theirs is about 6500 to 7500.

exactly but yet again, Motherwell are being used as an example.

If a club like Aberdeen or Bristol rovers were to be analysed after trying to do something it would be more relevant.

CropleyWasGod
20-02-2013, 02:52 PM
What research is this?

Not sure about research, but there is evidence in recent years. Motherwell again :greengrin, just before they went into administration.

patlowe
20-02-2013, 05:17 PM
On a semi-related note, I read today that 2nd place is worth £2.4m in prize money. I'm not sure how accurate that is but if it's true then the cost of McFadden won't make too much of a dent in Motherwell's finances if they finish runners-up (which they are likely to do IMO). That is a lot of money and, given that reconstruction is likely to throw everything up in the air during the summer, finishing 2nd this season is hugely significant, financially if not competitively.

Newcastlehibby
20-02-2013, 06:34 PM
I think that the last player to have a major effect on attendances was George Best. I cannot think of a current player who it may be possible to sign (i.e. who is coming to the end of his career and would be willing to sign a pay per play deal), who might have that kind of effect.

IWasThere2016
20-02-2013, 09:58 PM
+15% on the same midweek fixture is impressive, and to be welcomed/congratulated IMHO. Seems to have worked better than doing heehaw!

allezsauzee
20-02-2013, 10:10 PM
its a pretty poor crowd considering Motherwell are 2nd and playing one of the better sides in the league

JollyGreenGiant
21-02-2013, 08:28 AM
To be honest I am one who has felt for quite some time that Hibs should try more different ways to entice people to ER. My preference would be a reduced season ticket charge as an experiment for one season whereby the club make it clear to fans that in order for the experiment to be a success then we must sell x amount of tickets. There would then also be a reduction for walk up prices.

Anyway, not all fans feel this way as a lot don't think that it would work. I guess the point in threads like this one is to see how other teams get on when they try ways to entice fans back. I personally find it quite interesting.

I have said it before on here, but why don't we give free tickets away to school kids or allow under 12's in for free, as long as they come along with a paying adult.

As a parent I don't mind paying for my ticket but I grude forking out £12 odd for my 4 & 7 year old.

The kids who get free tickets are likely to persuade an adult to take them, and in time they might get the bug and be the season ticket holders of the future (plus they are likely to want strips, programme & hotdogs etc)

marinello59
21-02-2013, 09:07 AM
I have said it before on here, but why don't we give free tickets away to school kids or allow under 12's in for free, as long as they come along with a paying adult.

As a parent I don't mind paying for my ticket but I grude forking out £12 odd for my 4 & 7 year old.

The kids who get free tickets are likely to persuade an adult to take them, and in time they might get the bug and be the season ticket holders of the future (plus they are likely to want strips, programme & hotdogs etc)

The club does hand out free tickets.
Hibs Kids members get in to 4 matches a season without paying.
Kids season tickets in the FF lower were free if part of a family package.

JollyGreenGiant
21-02-2013, 10:32 AM
The club does hand out free tickets.
Hibs Kids members get in to 4 matches a season without paying.
Kids season tickets in the FF lower were free if part of a family package.

1. Obviously not that many then, as we still have 8000+ empty seats every week
2. Hibs kids is great, but only likely to be used by existing 'hibs people/families'
3. Only 250 free tickets, and only for 1 child per family

The kids and I have season tickets in the FF lower and have done for years, but i'm talking about attracting kids/families, who may not normally think about attending live football games.

As an example - I was almost tempted to buy ice hockey tickets through a Groupon deal the other day as they had a great deal for a family of 4 (I've never been to an ice hockey game before). I didn't because the date wasn't convenient, but i'm sure plenty of people did - and they may have enjoyed it and decided to go back.

marinello59
21-02-2013, 11:33 AM
2. Hibs kids is great, but only likely to be used by existing 'hibs people/families'

The kids and I have season tickets in the FF lower and have done for years, but i'm talking about attracting kids/families, who may not normally think about attending live football games.

As an example - I was almost tempted to buy ice hockey tickets through a Groupon deal the other day as they had a great deal for a family of 4 (I've never been to an ice hockey game before). I didn't because the date wasn't convenient, but i'm sure plenty of people did - and they may have enjoyed it and decided to go back.

So you have moved from suggesting the club does nowt to dismissing what they are doing. Do you suggest giving away 8000 tickets every week to kids then? Not forgetting to refund the price of the existing cheap kids season tickets and also remove the family group discounts given to adult season ticket holders.

Keith_M
21-02-2013, 11:40 AM
I actually think Hibs do quite well for kids as regards ST prices and the Hibs Kids membership.

Maybe they could do a little more for Walk-up prices for really young kids :dunno:

JollyGreenGiant
21-02-2013, 12:21 PM
So you have moved from suggesting the club does nowt to dismissing what they are doing. Do you suggest giving away 8000 tickets every week to kids then? Not forgetting to refund the price of the existing cheap kids season tickets and also remove the family group discounts given to adult season ticket holders.

Where did I say the club do nowt???

I am suggesting giving more tickets away to kids, as long as they bring a paying adult. I'm not saying Hibs are not offerring good deals, what i'm saying is that we need to entice people along that would normally have no intension of going.

We are obviously not succeeding if we can only attract approx 10,000 people out of 500,000 in Edinburgh alone - we need new ideas.

Gatecrasher
21-02-2013, 12:25 PM
Where did I say the club do nowt???

I am suggesting giving more tickets away to kids, as long as they bring a paying adult. I'm not saying Hibs are not offerring good deals, what i'm saying is that we need to entice people along that would normally have no intension of going.

We are obviously not succeeding if we can only attract approx 10,000 people out of 500,000 in Edinburgh alone - we need new ideas.

Hibs have offered such deals in the past with minimal impact on the crowd.

I remember Hibs had this offer on

http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/20110204/family-fun-day_2262950_2285570

I think there was a bigger crowd on the day but they didnt last long IIRC. Plus it would cost hibs a fortune to do stuff like this all the time

Andy74
21-02-2013, 12:54 PM

The problem is that you don't attract that many new people in - there is actually quite a finite group of people who want to come and see Hibs. Free or not.

What you do end up with though is a bunch of people, like you and I, who do pay for our kids Season Tickets that wouldn't have to bother and Hibs lose the money they make from it.

JollyGreenGiant
21-02-2013, 01:10 PM
Hibs have offered such deals in the past with minimal impact on the crowd.

I remember Hibs had this offer on

[URL]http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/20110204/family-fun-day_2262950_
I think there was a bigger crowd on the day but they didnt last long IIRC. Plus it would cost hibs a fortune to do stuff like this all the time

Again this is s good idea, but as another poster says this is only likely to attract existing 'hibs people'.

Why can't we do groupon type deals to attract non-hibs people, or give tickers away to school kids who might persuade an adult to take them along and who would not normally go to live football games.

Bought another Groupon deal the other day, £10 for family of 4 to go ten pin bowling for an hour, and you get free pizza.

marinello59
21-02-2013, 01:47 PM
Again this is s good idea, but as another poster says this is only likely to attract existing 'hibs people'.

Why can't we do groupon type deals to attract non-hibs people, or give tickers away to school kids who might persuade an adult to take them along and who would not normally go to live football games.

Bought another Groupon deal the other day, £10 for family of 4 to go ten pin bowling for an hour, and you get free pizza.

I'd love regular Groupon deals. I'll cancel our season tickets and save myself a fortune. Paying for your kids to join you at Fitba is a mugs game.:agree:

givescotlandfreedom
21-02-2013, 01:51 PM

There was a corporate groupon deal recently was there not, the sparry heids did one too.

JollyGreenGiant
21-02-2013, 03:24 PM
I'd love regular Groupon deals. I'll cancel our season tickets and save myself a fortune. Paying for your kids to join you at Fitba is a mugs game.:agree:

Is that you Rod???

Again, think your missing the point, and who said 'regular' groupon deals?

I'm merely suggesting that we try and get more people through the gates at ER, but you seem to be suggesting that I just come on here to have a go at Hibs.

Maybe your happy with our current crowds, but my opinion is that we need to try something different - not saying for one minute I have all the answers!

marinello59
21-02-2013, 05:46 PM
Is that you Rod???

Again, think your missing the point, and who said 'regular' groupon deals?

I'm merely suggesting that we try and get more people through the gates at ER, but you seem to be suggesting that I just come on here to have a go at Hibs.

Maybe your happy with our current crowds, but my opinion is that we need to try something different - not saying for one minute I have all the answers!

The club have to walk a pretty tight line between ensuring Season Tickets for Adults and kids remain attractive. I reckon they do quite a good job although like everybody else I would love it if they were cheaper or free. I like free stuff.
How do you fill the stands? To paraphrase, 'Its about the Fitba, stupid.'

Mikey
23-02-2013, 04:52 PM
I think it's fair to say that he hasn't hit the ground running. That's the danger of picking up a player 6 weeks after the window closes I guess.

There's still time though and the extra 692 have covered the cost of this week.

Danderhall Hibs
23-02-2013, 05:15 PM
I think it's fair to say that he hasn't hit the ground running. That's the danger of picking up a player 6 weeks after the window closes I guess.

Off the ball were saying that 2 directors are picking up his tab so the extra 692 will be into the clubs pockets.

blackpoolhibs
23-02-2013, 05:18 PM

The push for 2nd with signing this messiah seems to have passed him by so far, played 2, points nil, goals scored 0 against 4.

Danderhall Hibs
23-02-2013, 09:12 PM
The push for 2nd with signing this messiah seems to have passed him by so far, played 2, points nil, goals scored 0 against 4.

Give the boy a chance man! We signed Robertson and Done in the window and i'm still waiting on them to do something but I'm not writing them off yet.

Hibernia Na Eir
24-02-2013, 12:31 AM

4,490 v St Johnstone
4,559 v St Mirren
4,031 v ICT
10,496 v Celtic
5,301 v Hibs
3,941 v Dundee Utd
4,318 v Dundee
4,147 v Hearts
3,739 v Ross County
5,093 v Aberdeen
4,903 v Kilmarnock
3,649 v St Johnstone
4,179 v ICT

After signing..........

4,463 v Dundee Utd

McFadden, big head, small body = odd sized fool.

Gordy M
24-02-2013, 01:12 AM
Give the boy a chance man! We signed Robertson and Done in the window and i'm still waiting on them to do something but I'm not writing them off yet.

Done won the penalty against St mirren!? Which led to 3 points.

blackpoolhibs
24-02-2013, 02:46 AM

What a ridiculous thing to say, imagine inserting facts into the conversation?

Danderhall Hibs
24-02-2013, 08:01 AM

Is falling over now considered as a contribution?! "won the penalty" deary me - it's not as if he went on a mazy and got hacked down as he was about to pull the trigger ffs.

Danderhall Hibs
24-02-2013, 08:01 AM
What a ridiculous thing to say, imagine inserting rubbish facts into the conversation?

down-the-slope
24-02-2013, 08:10 AM
Fair enough. FWIW, I personally don't think that Marquee signings make much difference in the long term either. I am one of the oldies that remembers George Best playing for Hibs and was at the home game v Partick with a crowd four times the size we would normally get. That didn't last, though, as what's most important is having a decent team, not a single 'must see' player.

I don't think McFadden was right for Hibs just now and I trust Fenlon to make decent choices of signing in the summer.

On the prices side, I would really like to see Hibs convert the FF front into terracing and charge lower prices for this area (perhaps 2/3 the price of a seat), as I think that would ensure we were still, as described by Paul, the 'working man's game'.

I would (because I can) happily pay same as I do for my WS ST to be in such an area.

Fixed seating makes it harder for mates who are regular to drag along irregular mates and be in the same place with good atmosphere..its means habits of going (even if irregularly) get broken

* before the obvious is stated...yes you can faff about and gets seats changed for specific matches...but that takes time needs pre-organising (often in the past it was last minute stuff) and often in for space in areas you would not choose

The Modfather
15-03-2013, 11:39 PM
Mikey, you still keeping track of this? What does the analysis about Motherwell's attendance, points,league placing, individual contribution etc, since he signed, tell us thus far?

Danderhall Hibs
15-03-2013, 11:42 PM

1 month on - have you changed your opinion? Should we have "pushed the boat out" or will Done prove to be the better signing?

Mikey
15-03-2013, 11:43 PM
Mikey, you still keeping track of this? What does the analysis about Motherwell's attendance, points,league placing, individual contribution etc, since he signed, tell us thus far?

I'll bring it up to date in the morning :agree:

The Modfather
15-03-2013, 11:49 PM
I'll bring it up to date in the morning :agree:

Braw. Easy to say as it's not me having to do the work :greengrin, but genuinely interesting to see the "Mcfadden Factors" progression (or lack off) every few months depending on when you get a chance to do an update :thumbsup:

Judas Iscariot
18-03-2013, 09:26 AM
Didnae dae much on Friday eh :rolleyes:

Mikey
18-03-2013, 04:15 PM
Updated.

It might prove to be more accurate if the two Celtic attendances are stripped out. It's certainly affecting the figures since he signed.

The Modfather
18-03-2013, 05:02 PM
Updated.

It might prove to be more accurate if the two Celtic attendances are stripped out. It's certainly affecting the figures since he signed.

Removing the lesser greens games gives a post signing average of 4,785. Which is an extra 423 through the gate per week. Say a conservative average ticket price of £10. That's over £4,000 per week. I wouldn't imagine he'd be on more that at Motherwell.

Not even taking into account his contribution on the park. It looks like, thus far, an excellent piece of business by Motherwell. Did I not also read somewhere that the Motherwell board were paying his wages out of their own pocket? Got to take your hat off to Motherwells ambition.

Is this proof that speculate to accumalte works?:devil:

Hibby Kay-Yay
18-03-2013, 05:36 PM

4,490 v St Johnstone
4,559 v St Mirren
4,031 v ICT
10,496 v Celtic
5,301 v Hibs
3,941 v Dundee Utd
4,318 v Dundee
4,147 v Hearts
3,739 v Ross County
5,093 v Aberdeen
4,903 v Kilmarnock
3,649 v St Johnstone
4,179 v ICT

After signing..........

4,463 v Dundee Utd
8,641 v Celtic
5,108 v Hibs

That's an average of 6070

Surely you can't take those last 3 games in isolation compared to the number above?

Pre signing

V hibs 5301
V celtc 10496
V dun utd 3941

Average 6579

Post signing

V hibs 5108
V celtc 8641
V dun utd 4463

Average 6070

That's down 509 :agree:

Danderhall Hibs
18-03-2013, 06:51 PM
Surely you can't take those last 3 games in isolation compared to the number above?

Pre signing

V hibs 5301
V celtc 10496
V dun utd 3941

Average 6579

Post signing

V hibs 5108
V celtc 8641
V dun utd 4463

Average 6070

That's down 509 :agree:

Stats can be twisted in whatever way you like. Were those 3 matches you mention all played on a similar day with a similar Ko time? What about the time of year they were played though? No matter what assumption you use someone will pick a hole in it.

Hibby Kay-Yay
18-03-2013, 08:26 PM
Stats can be twisted in whatever way you like. Were those 3 matches you mention all played on a similar day with a similar Ko time? What about the time of year they were played though? No matter what assumption you use someone will pick a hole in it.

I have no idea, just like I have no idea about the pre signing games. My point was you can't take a fair average of 3 games verses 12.

Danderhall Hibs
18-03-2013, 10:01 PM
I have no idea, just like I have no idea about the pre signing games. My point was you can't take a fair average of 3 games verses 12.

Agreed. As soon as you get to a fair average though someone will pick holes in it.