18-02-2013, 07:31 PM
Confirmed :wink:

leither17
18-02-2013, 07:36 PM
Confirmed :wink:

Just heard it on ssn too

darrenmcintosh2
18-02-2013, 07:54 PM
Joke. We could have bagged him would have added extra width and attacking presence could have supplied LG exactly what he needs.

Pretty Boy
18-02-2013, 07:58 PM
Joke. We could have bagged him would have added extra width and attacking presence could have supplied LG exactly what he needs.

Must admit in the many, many games he has played in the last 3 to 4 seasons i've been impressed with his width and attacking prowess.

hfc rd
18-02-2013, 08:02 PM

Yeah agree. But his heart was always going to be set on Motherwell. That's his club so I can understand why he chose them.

neil7908
18-02-2013, 08:06 PM
A mate of mine at work who's a Well fan told me this morning that he'd be signing today, I was begginnng to think it was wishful thinking!

I would have loved to see him at Hibs but I do think his ties to the club always give Motherwell a big advantage. Will be very interested to see how he does but we definitely need another skillfull striker to take some of the burden of Leigh (can you imagine where we'll be if he gets a bad injury?) and McFadden would fit the bill.

darrenmcintosh2
18-02-2013, 08:07 PM
Must admit in the many, many games he has played in the last 3 to 4 seasons i've been impressed with his width and attacking prowess.

I made the point in the last thread about McFadden. He has just been released by a premiership team. His fitness will grow given game time Don't understand these people who are denying that e would do a job for us. They really need too have a word. He would be the best signing we would have completed is a good few years.

Heisenberg
18-02-2013, 08:10 PM
Mcfadden loves Motherwell and would've been the only SPL team he'd sign for, excluding Celtc probably. Like Riordan and Hibs.

brydekirk
18-02-2013, 08:14 PM
Thats what u do when there is £2.4m up for grabs. Good move imo

Iggy Pope
18-02-2013, 08:15 PM
Mcfadden loves Motherwell and would've been the only SPL team he'd sign for, excluding Celtc probably. Like Riordan and Hibs.

And St Johnstone.

Heisenberg
18-02-2013, 08:18 PM
And St Johnstone.

Aye, when Hibs werent an option :greengrin

Beefster
18-02-2013, 08:18 PM

Except that Riordan has signed for Hibs, Celtic and St Johnstone. And had trials with Killie and Ross County!

basehibby
18-02-2013, 08:20 PM
They are looking an excellent bet for 2nd now - as if they weren't already. I wonder if Hibs have their eye on any out of contract players - what about that guy (portugese???) who was recovering from a cruciate - creative midfielder I think - what was his name again???

MrRobot
18-02-2013, 08:21 PM
Hope he gets his career back on track now, hate seeing a talented player go to waste through injury.

Hibee Ryan
18-02-2013, 08:22 PM
He'll play max 10 games for Motherwell but this should give the fans and players a big mental lift

Vault Boy
18-02-2013, 08:25 PM
They are looking an excellent bet for 2nd now - as if they weren't already. I wonder if Hibs have their eye on any out of contract players - what about that guy (portugese???) who was recovering from a cruciate - creative midfielder I think - what was his name again???

Ramon Nunez? If so I think he is Honduran. Fenlon said we definitely wouldn't be signing any out of contract players. (In a few interviews)

M6hibee
18-02-2013, 08:28 PM
If he had come to hibs, for arguments sake, I'd have been in two minds. Fantastic on his day but been out with injuries fae a long time and hard tae see him ever get back tae the level he was at. I could be wrong, he might well be a success but right now, it's a huge gamble

Heisenberg
18-02-2013, 08:33 PM
Except that Riordan has signed for Hibs, Celtic and St Johnstone. And had trials with Killie and Ross County!

Could've been said better, but excluding moving to Celtc, if Hibs were an option on all of those occasions there would've been only one place he'd have gone.

lyonhibs
18-02-2013, 08:37 PM
A fantastic signing for them. In an SPL so utterly devoid of anything approaching star quality, I'm glad he is back. Obviously would have far preferred it to be at Hibs, but if McFadden can get fit and on form then Scotland have an entire new attacking option, and a manager that might be able to utilise him effectively.

On his day he could be the best striker in the SPL by a distance - and I include Celtic in that - and even on an off day, he still has something that I'd say only LG has outwith of the East End of Glasgow and that is real genuine ability with a football at his feet.

darrenmcintosh2
18-02-2013, 08:40 PM
A fantastic signing for them. In an SPL so utterly devoid of anything approaching star quality, I'm glad he is back. Obviously would have far preferred it to be at Hibs, but if McFadden can get fit and on form then Scotland have an entire new attacking option, and a manager that might be able to utilise him effectively.

On his day he could be the best striker in the SPL by a distance - and I include Celtic in that - and even on an off day, he still has something that I'd say only LG has outwith of the East End of Glasgow and that is real genuine ability with a football at his feet.

Couldn't agree more mate

IWasThere2016
18-02-2013, 08:57 PM
Thats what u do when there is £2.4m up for grabs. Good move imo

This.

Pretty Boy
18-02-2013, 08:58 PM
I made the point in the last thread about McFadden. He has just been released by a premiership team. His fitness will grow given game time Don't understand these people who are denying that e would do a job for us. They really need too have a word. He would be the best signing we would have completed is a good few years.

He's managed 13 games in 3 seasons.

No doubting he's a top player but getting and keeping himm fit is clearly a massive problem.

GlenrothesHibee
18-02-2013, 09:33 PM
I fear his career is over. Hope im wrong though

johnbc70
18-02-2013, 09:41 PM
He's managed 13 games in 3 seasons.

No doubting he's a top player but getting and keeping himm fit is clearly a massive problem.

I think you are being generous! Only 11 games since October 2011, and of that only 3 starts according to http://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=16973 Yes he is a big name but if we signed a guy that had started 3 games in 16 months I would wonder what we were getting other than a 'name'.

alan1875
18-02-2013, 09:48 PM
Couldn't agree more mate

If only there was a like button...! Totally agree. If he stay fit, he could be the best player in the league. I love Faddy, he's been arguably the most exciting Scotland player of my era.

givescotlandfreedom
19-02-2013, 03:23 AM
Good for them if he's fit enough to make an impact. I doubt the guy's hurting for money so the tiny difference in wages we could offer him compared to Motherwell probably isn't much of an issue for him.

The Sea-gull
19-02-2013, 12:53 PM
A gamble but hardly a huge one.

I doubt they are paying him much and he might just score/create the goals that get them to second spot. TBH, they look a good bet for second with or without him anyway. His signing is not going to weaken their squad.

RE the finances, I doubt he'll be on much, maybe pay as you play. He might even be playing for nowt with just his expenses and insurance covered as he'll have made a decent wedge and loves the club. He might not get up to speed until the split but even if that is the case, he is a decent option for the run in.

For those saying he's not worth it given the amount of games he has missed in recent years - we're talking about a few months here not a 5 year deal.

Would probably have been pointless anyway as it won't have been a deal that was about money and we would have had no chance competing with his affection for M'well. Dissappointed if we didn't ask the question though.

Lets understand that we wouldn't have got him, that's fine but lets not pretend we wouldn't have wanted him and it wouldn't have been a gamble worth taking if the opportunity had presented itself.

LeighLoyal
19-02-2013, 12:56 PM
Would have put bums on seats. See what he does there with interest.

blackpoolhibs
19-02-2013, 01:01 PM
Would have put bums on seats. See what he does there with interest.

Would he? We say that about players but what evidence is there that it does?

Danderhall Hibs
19-02-2013, 01:32 PM

Can we wait til we sign a "bums on seats" type player before commenting?

blackpoolhibs
19-02-2013, 01:51 PM
Can we wait til we sign a "bums on seats" type player before commenting?

We were told the return of Derek Riordan would put bums on seats, we were told it was money in the bank a no brainer. We got 11k for that. George Best was the last signing to do this, and that lasted for a couple of weeks, McFadden is no Best.

The Harp
19-02-2013, 01:55 PM
As mentioned already, signing McFadden could be a big boost in their quest for the 2nd spot. If Hibs don't manage it then it might as well be them.
Good to see a bit of quality coming into the Premier.

Danderhall Hibs
19-02-2013, 02:08 PM
We were told the return of Derek Riordan would put bums on seats, we were told it was money in the bank a no brainer. We got 11k for that. George Best was the last signing to do this, and that lasted for a couple of weeks, McFadden is no Best.
Were we?

How much of an increase on the week before?

lyonhibs
19-02-2013, 02:11 PM

Is that his comeback game against Dundee United which had more than 2000 for fans at it (13k +) than the previous home game?

Also, since he left Motherwell McFadden has played a lot of games and scored some belting goals in the Premiership and turned in several MoM performances for Scotland. Riordan - wrongly in the opinion of the Celtc fans I know - sat more or less constantly on his erchie and scored about 8 goals in the 2 years between his spells at Hibs.

Taking off the green tinted glasses, McFadden's return is a bigger deal for Motherwell than Riordan's was for us. He will put bums on seats, unless of course there are literally only 4-5k people who support Motherwell within striking distance of Fir Park, which I doubt.

Danderhall Hibs
19-02-2013, 02:17 PM
Is that his comeback game against Dundee United which had more than 2000 for fans at it (13k +) than the previous home game?

Also, since he left Motherwell McFadden has played a lot of games and scored some belting goals in the Premiership and turned in several MoM performances for Scotland. Riordan - wrongly in the opinion of the Celtc fans I know - sat more or less constantly on his erchie and scored about 8 goals in the 2 years between his spells at Hibs.

Taking off the green tinted glasses, McFadden's return is a bigger deal for Motherwell than Riordan's was for us. He will put bums on seats, unless of course there are literally only 4-5k people who support Motherwell within striking distance of Fir Park, which I doubt.

Agreed. It would be like us picking Steven Fletcher up on a free in a couple of years time.

blackpoolhibs
19-02-2013, 02:22 PM

I don't think that's true, I remember the game against Dundee Utd where he came on as sub only having 11k.

Beefster
19-02-2013, 02:22 PM

Riordan's first home game after signing was over 13,000. About 2,000 more than our previous home game. It didn't last though.

Making marquee signings has to be combined with entertainment for rises in attendence to hold. It wasn't in Riordan's case.

Edit: sorry, didn't see that someone had already made the same point.

Danderhall Hibs
19-02-2013, 02:27 PM
I don't think that's true, I remember the game against Dundee Utd where he came on as sub only having 11k.

I don't know about you BH but I'm only interested in facts.

Beefster
19-02-2013, 02:28 PM

Mixu's football wasn't that dull that you had to resort to counting the attendees, surely?!

blackpoolhibs
19-02-2013, 03:20 PM
I don't know about you BH but I'm only interested in facts.

You are right, his return against Dundee Utd was 13k. Subsiquent home games against the other teams bar hearts and the bigots went back to 11k and 10k or what i'd say normal attendances.

Crowds do not come back for signings like McFadden, Motherwell will be no different.

basehibby
19-02-2013, 03:34 PM

Bit of an extreme example but how about George Best - c 25,000 for his debut vs St Mirren.

I know Faddy's not in the same league as Besty but I'm pretty sure that signing an international of his ilk would act as a statement of intent to those currently wavering and would result in (at least temporarily) a boost in attendance figures.

basehibby
19-02-2013, 03:39 PM
You are right, his return against Dundee Utd was 13k. Subsiquent home games against the other teams bar hearts and the bigots went back to 11k and 10k or what i'd say normal attendances.

Crowds do not come back for signings like McFadden, Motherwell will be no different.

Crowds DO come back to witness attractive winning football, the further attinment of which I suspect is Motherwell's main motivation in signing McFadden.

blackpoolhibs
19-02-2013, 03:39 PM
Bit of an extreme example but how about George Best - c 25,000 for his debut vs St Mirren.

I know Faddy's not in the same league as Besty but I'm pretty sure that signing an international of his ilk would act as a statement of intent to those currently wavering and would result in (at least temporarily) a boost in attendance figures.

I have mentioned this in a previous post, i was there at the time and crowds dwindled back to what they were before he signed. That could have been because they were never sure if he'd turn up or not? :greengrin

basehibby
19-02-2013, 03:43 PM

You are rignt to an extent, however, crowds DO come back to witness attractive winning football, the further attinment of which I suspect is Motherwell's main motivation in signing McFadden.

blackpoolhibs
19-02-2013, 03:50 PM
You are rignt to an extent, however, crowds DO come back to witness attractive winning football, the further attinment of which I suspect is Motherwell's main motivation in signing McFadden.

I agree with that. :agree:

Since90+2
19-02-2013, 04:02 PM
If only there was a like button...! Totally agree. If he stay fit, he could be the best player in the league. I love Faddy, he's been arguably the most exciting Scotland player of my era.

Think people are going abit OTT with this. He was a fantastic player back in the day but he hasnt played regularly in years and wont have anything like the pace or mobility he had at his peak about 6 or 7 years ago.

basehibby
19-02-2013, 04:06 PM
Ramon Nunez? If so I think he is Honduran. Fenlon said we definitely wouldn't be signing any out of contract players. (In a few interviews)

Hmmm - I hope Fenlon is simply playing the long game and saving his stash of cash (such as it is) for the summer when he intends to make more meainingful signings. Either that or he's already *****ed all his pocket money and Petrie won't give him any more :dunno:

Either way, despite strengthening of the squad in january, it's pretty obvious that we're still lacking in certain areas.

blackpoolhibs
19-02-2013, 04:30 PM
Hmmm - I hope Fenlon is simply playing the long game and saving his stash of cash (such as it is) for the summer when he intends to make more meainingful signings. Either that or he's already *****ed all his pocket money and Petrie won't give him any more :dunno:

Either way, despite strengthening of the squad in january, it's pretty obvious that we're still lacking in certain areas.

Of course the team still is lacking in some areas, i'd have been astounded if Fenlon had fixed that team with the summer and January windows?

Any strengthening this summer will be done from a much stronger position than the last one.

Dashing Bob S
19-02-2013, 04:40 PM
Delighted we never signed 'Fanny'. Always thought he was massively overrated, even at his peak as an Everton subsitute. In his current role as treatment table warmer, I can't see him having much more than zilch to offer.Might shift a few more replica tops for 'Well.

Viva_Palmeiras
19-02-2013, 04:49 PM
I've a feeling the measure of his success will be in his ability to influence the push towards the lucrative European games.

id imagine the crowd increases would be negligible save for perhaps his first game - so disinterested I can't recall if they are in/out SC. As things unwind I reckon we may just find that the rangers debacle was a smokescreen and what's perhaps going on is the recession biting across the board.