PDA

View Full Version : Sauzee

Twiglet
18-02-2013, 03:56 PM
Nice wee article on the fishy site about him.
Sorry can't add link from phone.

HNA4
18-02-2013, 03:57 PM
Link...

http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/20130218/sauzees-heroics-remembered_2262950_3080509

1two
18-02-2013, 04:00 PM
We have to get him back for a visit.
If the club can't contact him surely between the fans we can.
Bring back Sauzee.

bawheid
18-02-2013, 04:09 PM
The most fantastic Hibernian player I've ever seen.

Still makes me sick to the stomach that the club he loved sacked him after less than ten weeks in the job.

California-Hibs
18-02-2013, 04:26 PM
I really do wish that we could see him return to Easter Road as a guest or in some capacity. It really is upsetting that it's never ever happened, I'm sure the club have been in contact and unfortunately it looks like his sacking has effected his love and thoughts towards the club big time :boo hoo:

SteveHFC
18-02-2013, 04:38 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_dNDskgVAU

DarlingtonHibee
18-02-2013, 04:45 PM
I really do wish that we could see him return to Easter Road as a guest or in some capacity. It really is upsetting that it's never ever happened, I'm sure the club have been in contact and unfortunately it looks like his sacking has effected his love and thoughts towards the club big time :boo hoo:

Previous threads suggest that he won't be back- tragic really, as he was one of our greats....

Zazu62
18-02-2013, 04:50 PM
Lets get him back then

sambajustice
18-02-2013, 04:54 PM
Lets get him back then

Fenlon Out, Sauzee In

RickyS
18-02-2013, 04:56 PM

Still makes me sick to the stomach that the club he loved sacked him after less than ten weeks in the job.

my thoughts exactly!, great article too!

M6hibee
18-02-2013, 05:04 PM
Read the book on him and it seems he doesn't want to be contacted. Shame hope he visits easter road again some day

cam75
18-02-2013, 05:14 PM
I thought he would only be back once RP was gone from the club ?

KeithTheHibby
18-02-2013, 05:24 PM

Petrie out Sauzee in?

cocopops1875
18-02-2013, 05:27 PM

Urban/Hibs.net myth in my opinion
If this was the case why would he ignore Ted Brack's repeated attempts to contact him (as The Tash had nothing to do with the book)

Peevemor
18-02-2013, 05:29 PM

Urban/Hibs.net myth in my opinion
If this was the case why would he ignore Ted Brack's repeated attempts to contact him (as The Tash had nothing to do with the book)

The story also goes that Petrie voted against sacking him.

Pretty Boy
18-02-2013, 05:31 PM
The best player i've witnessed in my time watching Hibs. Quite simply class personified.

Whatever his issues with the club and/or fans I just hope he realises what he means to us.

hibs4thecup1988
18-02-2013, 05:39 PM
Wow. Emotions after reading that. What an amazing player character and gentleman. Shame he has never been back but tbh I do not blame him. I still remember that morning when grant stott broke the news. I went over to my friends absolutely stunned.

hibs4thecup1988
18-02-2013, 05:41 PM
The best player i've witnessed in my time watching Hibs. Quite simply class personified.

Whatever his issues with the club and/or fans I just hope he realises what he means to us.

The memorial day we held in famous five for him after he was sacked told its own story. The tears he showed that day I believe he knew what he meant to us.

erin go bragh
18-02-2013, 05:43 PM
:top marks Viva la Franck

ggtth

GreenCastle
18-02-2013, 05:45 PM
Get him back :agree:

How can this be made to happen ?

Regarding the 3rd picture down ? Is that Hartley congratulating him?

sbell1875
18-02-2013, 05:51 PM
What an absolute legend. Reading that has me feeling a bit emotional as the return to the SPL in 1999/2000 was my first year as a season ticket holder.

So many memories and I live in hope we see him back at Easter Road one day.

I would love it if this organisation was able to contact him and invite him back. Although I appreciate the club would need to be involved.

Beefster
18-02-2013, 05:52 PM

My worst day as a Hibs supporter.

cam75
18-02-2013, 06:00 PM
Get him back :agree:

How can this be made to happen ?

Regarding the 3rd picture down ? Is that Hartley congratulating him?

It is Hartley

Dinkydoo
18-02-2013, 06:01 PM
After all these years the memories I have of the day when Sauzee was sacked are still quite vivid, even though I was little. The first and probably only Hibernian player I've ever idolised.

Pretty Boy
18-02-2013, 06:07 PM
After all these years the memories I have of the day when Sauzee was sacked are still quite vivid, even though I was little. The first and probably only Hibernian player I've ever idolised.

Same for me.

I was only in my mid teens and was totally stunned. Franck was probably the last player I totally and utterly idolised.

My other vivid memories of Franck are generally happier ones. The absolute pandemonium when he scored that goal at Tynecastle and I just knew we were going to hammer them. Also his first game as manager when he strolled out in black overcoat and black leather gloves whilst Jimmy Calderwood waddled alongside in a polyester padded Dunfermilne jacket.

Mon Dieu4
18-02-2013, 06:15 PM
my Grandad had the Famous Five and my Dad had Pat Stanton

I got Franck and he is my all time hero, no one will ever replace my affection for the one true class act I've ever seen play for us

In 50 years time i will still be telling people he could walk on water

HibeeSince85
18-02-2013, 06:22 PM
The memorial day we held in famous five for him after he was sacked told its own story. The tears he showed that day I believe he knew what he meant to us.

So proud to say that I too was there that day. A fantastic send off for my favourite ever Hibs player. A hero!

I wish he would come back so more fans can have the moment we had.

Hibeesforever
18-02-2013, 06:26 PM
Wow. Emotions after reading that. What an amazing player character and gentleman. Shame he has never been back but tbh I do not blame him. I still remember that morning when grant stott broke the news. I went over to my friends absolutely stunned.

Yes, time is not a healer. I wrote out a card wishing his family all the best and said that the impression he left was incredible.

I am sure I am not alone and don't mind saying it but often watch the you tube clip of his interview about the Millennium derby.

Every new player arriving at the club should watch it. Passion, poise and majestic class the way he describes the build up and events of the derby match.

Franck totally personifies everything Eddie Turnbull stated about what Hibs class meant.

To drink red wine and play centre half like him. Fantastic Gent.

The French Hibs supporters club need to make a personal deposition to him to attend a Hibs.net supporters event!

NORTHERNHIBBY
18-02-2013, 06:43 PM
Probably the finest player I have ever seen in a Hibs jersey. Despite the fact that we were in the First Division when he came, he showed nothing but respect for the club and for the fans, and when he left, he did so with the same composure, dignity and class that epitomised his time with us. For all that he could have said in a negative sense, he has kept his council. I can't help but think that it would be inappropriate to start some sort of campaign to ask him return.

PatHead
18-02-2013, 06:54 PM
Know it goes against the grain but I don't think he should ever have been appointed manager. The Ayr United semi was possibly the low of my many years following Hibs until last May. We were awful under him. An experienced mentor should have been appointed with him taking over after a year/18 months. He wasn't up to the job at the time.

Pretty Boy
18-02-2013, 07:00 PM
Know it goes against the grain but I don't think he should ever have been appointed manager. The Ayr United semi was possibly the low of my many years following Hibs until last May. We were awful under him. An experienced mentor should have been appointed with him taking over after a year/18 months. He wasn't up to the job at the time.

I think with hindsight most of us realise he wasn't the man for the job.

However the way he was sacked was a disgrace. That press confeeence they made Franck attend whilst he was almost in tears was shameful.

bawheid
18-02-2013, 07:07 PM

I'll always maintain that it was the players who weren't up to the job. We were in free fall under McLeish long before he jumped ship to Oldco.

Ten weeks is never enough time in any job, never mind the job of turning round a Hibs team that had just lost their manger and their inspirational captain in one go.

Agree with Beefster. So much worse than 2006 and 2012.

Hibi
18-02-2013, 07:33 PM
I'll always maintain that it was the players who weren't up to the job. We were in free fall under McLeish long before he jumped ship to Oldco.

Ten weeks is never enough time in any job, never mind the job of turning round a Hibs team that had just lost their manger and their inspirational captain in one go.

Agree with Beefster. So much worse than 2006 and 2012.

Yep, Franck's biggest problem was that he couldn't pick himself. A real shame, particularly having to take over mid way through which can be difficult enough for an experienced manager. I also remember us playing some bloody good football, just couldn't get results.

rcarter1
18-02-2013, 07:43 PM
Harsh memories indeed. I remember taking a banner to a semi final (vs Aberdeen I think), thanking him for extending his contract.

As a manager, I was guilty of thinking it was the ultimate appointment. My understanding of what makes a good manager has changed since then. Players by and large are loose cannons needing firm guidance by an uncompromising leader with a clear vision of how to get players to do what they want.

Sauzee is an inspiration as a person and a player, but probably didnt realise how much the players needed guidance on the basics of the game. Maybe some of the players resented his popularity in the support?

Utter bummer that he has lost ties with the club....

HibbyKeith
18-02-2013, 08:08 PM
my Grandad had the Famous Five and my Dad had Pat Stanton

I got Franck and he is my all time hero, no one will ever replace my affection for the one true class act I've ever seen play for us

In 50 years time i will still be telling people he could walk on water

Mon Dieu4 you read my mind mate. pretty much word for word exactly how I feel.

Even my pets are named after the man. Viva le God.

chrisski33
18-02-2013, 09:26 PM
I reckon the proclaimers should write a song about sauzee

hibeesjoe
18-02-2013, 09:56 PM
If Le God came back for a half time introduction then easter road would sell out. What an amazing player. Quite embarrassing how he was treated by the club as manager. After watching the YouTube video and seeing his fist pump after having 2 teeth knocked out scoring against the gorgie tramps reminds you what Hibs meant to him. Best player I have ever seen.

JohnStephens91
19-02-2013, 12:54 AM
He is definitely the best player I have ever seen playing for Hibs. Sheer class as a footballer, dignified and always gave his all. It's a shame the way he was fired and I agree with hindsight the Hibs job was too early for him. The signed 00/01 strip I have is on my wall and his signature is there and is potentially one of my prized possessions.

Franck Sauzee - Hibernian legend :not worth

Iceman1875
19-02-2013, 08:51 AM
Emotional stuff!

I'm sure I stll have a sauzee 4 shirt somewhere...brilliant player, oozed class.

I've read the ted brack book but I can't remember that well when he was sacked, but to be sat at a press conference with the humilation that he is no longer wanted at our club, no wonder he has issues with coming back.

Would be fantastic to have a pre seasonn friendly against Marsille in the summer with hopefully Franck attending. It would be a sell out no question.

HIBERNIAN-0762
19-02-2013, 09:21 AM
I wrote on a thread about him about a year ago on here stating he would fill the ground if he came back for a visit but I was shot down by all who replied saying he is 100% not interested in coming back to ER under any circumstances. :confused:

Russell The Dug
19-02-2013, 09:27 AM
Best player I've ever seen grace the turf at Easter Road.

Really wish he would come back. We would sell out the place if he did. :agree:

Beefster
19-02-2013, 09:33 AM
I wrote on a thread about him about a year ago on here stating he would fill the ground if he came back for a visit but I was shot down by all who replied saying he is 100% not interested in coming back to ER under any circumstances. :confused:

When you say 'shot down', you seem to mean 'told me the facts'.

pacorosssco
19-02-2013, 09:36 AM
I reckon the proclaimers should write a song about sauzee

too brief an encounter off that like no other
a gentleman awaited me off that like no other
stylish, gallous, gracious and gentle
when you scored at tynie we went ***in mental

oh franco oh franco where have you gone
hammer of hearts a legend is born
your name we sang from the terrace
oh how we miss your gaelic menace

matty_f
19-02-2013, 09:37 AM
Sauzee is and always will be a legend. Love the guy.

pacorosssco
19-02-2013, 09:43 AM

What are the facts? what was his response to meener brack on his book?

A friend of mine done a charity thing that involved meeting Deschamp in marseilles and being showed around the club. Both deschamp and the Marseilles representatives when asked about Sauzee said he was missed around the club and efforts had been made to involve him more as still popular with fans but he showed little interest in the club which was a shame. They didnt know the reasons. Said Deschamp a very hospitable man and the club treated them very well compared with Juventus who wouldnt even let them use club badge on charity website.

Beefster
19-02-2013, 12:49 PM
What are the facts?

That Sauzee has rebuffed or ignored every Hibs-related request since 2002 AFAIK.

cocopops1875
19-02-2013, 02:10 PM
That Sauzee has rebuffed or ignored every Hibs-related request since 2002 AFAIK.

Except signing stuff for extra time memorabilia which involved the guy going to France meeting Franck and paying him cash in what was described as a fairly "cold" transaction

hibsbollah
19-02-2013, 02:17 PM
If Sauzee wants distance between himself and football (whether from OM or Hibs, his two 'loves' in football) is absolutely up to him. He likes fishing and a quiet country life, good luck to him. The sight of ageing ex-pros hanging around their old clubs, desperately living off past glories can be a bit sad. Sometimes its better to make a clean break.

cocopops1875
19-02-2013, 04:34 PM
If Sauzee wants distance between himself and football (whether from OM or Hibs, his two 'loves' in football) is absolutely up to him. He likes fishing and a quiet country life, good luck to him. The sight of ageing ex-pros hanging around their old clubs, desperately living off past glories can be a bit sad. Sometimes its better to make a clean break.

Its hardly clean as he is still earning a living from his his past glories and living off the past :wink:
Commentator

Sauzée returned to his native France after leaving Hibernian, and has since worked as a football pundit on French television.[1] He initially worked for Canal+, a position he held for six years.[1] Besides providing analysis for televised matches, Sauzée also appeared on a Monday night football talk show.[21] Sauzée left Canal+ in 2008 to take a similar position with Orange, who had acquired rights to cover Ligue 1 matches.[23] In the summer of 2012, he returned to Canal+. :thumbsup:

Russell The Dug
19-02-2013, 04:44 PM

What are the facts?

hibsbollah
19-02-2013, 04:49 PM
Its hardly clean as he is still earning a living from his his past glories and living off the past :wink:
Commentator

Sauzée returned to his native France after leaving Hibernian, and has since worked as a football pundit on French television.[1] He initially worked for Canal+, a position he held for six years.[1] Besides providing analysis for televised matches, Sauzée also appeared on a Monday night football talk show.[21] Sauzée left Canal+ in 2008 to take a similar position with Orange, who had acquired rights to cover Ligue 1 matches.[23] In the summer of 2012, he returned to Canal+. :thumbsup:

I knew that, but i dont think it refutes my point.

Mon Dieu4
19-02-2013, 04:52 PM

He is like King Arthur only more chivalrous and dashing, he is resting on a sacred Isle until his people really really need him.

cocopops1875
19-02-2013, 04:57 PM
I knew that, but i dont think it refutes my point.

Reading your post in my opinion suggests he has distanced himself from football for fishing and the quiet life, Not that he has been a media personality for 7 or so years :wink:

hibsbollah
19-02-2013, 04:57 PM
He is like King Arthur only more chivalrous and dashing, he is resting on a sacred Isle until his people really really need him.

:agree: He ******s all over Arty in the chivalry stakes. I bet he can cook as well :sauzee: :love ya!:

hibsbollah
19-02-2013, 05:00 PM
Reading your post in my opinion suggests he has distanced himself from football for fishing and the quiet life, Not that he has been a media personality for 7 or so years :wink:

Canal+ used loads of pundits so he was on very infrequently. I follow Ligue 1 quite closely and i havent seen him on any coverage for ages. He's definitely not a regular face on the media, and his love for the town and rural area he grew up in has been mentioned many times. He definitely leads a quiet life.

1two
19-02-2013, 05:06 PM
Your people are calling
Arise Sir Frank

cocopops1875
19-02-2013, 05:19 PM
Canal+ used loads of pundits so he was on very infrequently. I follow Ligue 1 quite closely and i havent seen him on any coverage for ages. He's definitely not a regular face on the media, and his love for the town and rural area he grew up in has been mentioned many times. He definitely leads a quiet life.

Was on the french version of FIFA though :greengrin Apparently

andy1875
19-02-2013, 05:31 PM
I really hope the big fella comes back to ER someday soon, would be a great match day guest, get him on the pitch before kick of and at half time, even better if this match was against Hearts. Would generate a right good atmosphere imo.

Oh and the photo in my avatar is that of the signed canvas which takes pride of place on my living room wall :sauzee:

kenny-55
20-02-2013, 10:34 AM
Nice wee article on the fishy site about him.
Sorry can't add link from phone.
the word legend is used far to much nowadays but in this case its merited the man was awesome and will always be remembered by all true football fans :flag::not worth:not worth:not worth

Hibeesmad
07-03-2013, 11:48 PM
Will he ever return to easter road, if we got to the scottish cup final and he was there then im sure the place would erupt! Next time the fans have a meeting with the club could somebody bring this up and suggest we bring him home for 1 game! That would be fantastic.

givescotlandfreedom
08-03-2013, 01:26 AM
There was a thread of Le God a couple of weeks back. It seems Hibs have tried to contact him numerous times and he's declined or ignored contact from the club. It's a real shame as you said it would raise the roof.

Hibercelona
08-03-2013, 01:56 AM
It gets mentioned on here all the time.

He won't be back.

Pete
08-03-2013, 01:57 AM
Not many players have plied their trade in this city who had his class, experience and skill. The player before him of similar stature was George Best.

In his eyes he was let down. Yay or nay we have no right to demand anything from him and if he wants to come back we should be grateful. If not it should be accepted.

Either way it should not detract from anything he has done on the park. Definitely the best player I have seen wear the green and twice as good as anything that has worn maroon in the last 50 years.

HUTCHYHIBBY
08-03-2013, 02:10 AM
George Best shouldnae be mentioned in the same breath as Sauzee as far as what they both brought to Hibs is concerned.

Pete
08-03-2013, 02:17 AM
George Best shouldnae be mentioned in the same breath as Sauzee as far as what they both brought to Hibs is concerned.

I was talking about quality and stature within the game. Not their personal contribution to our club.

HibeesLA
08-03-2013, 03:23 AM
Not many players have plied their trade in this city who had his class, experience and skill. The player before him of similar stature was George Best.

In his eyes he was let down. Yay or nay we have no right to demand anything from him and if he wants to come back we should be grateful. If not it should be accepted.

Either way it should not detract from anything he has done on the park. Definitely the best player I have seen wear the green and twice as good as anything that has worn maroon in the last 50 years.

Didn't he make some disparaging remarks against the club though? Don't want him back!!!

Oh wait.... wrong thread! :greengrin

Jpdhfc
08-03-2013, 07:00 AM
Didn't he make some disparaging remarks against the club though? Don't want him back!!!

Oh wait.... wrong thread! :greengrin

😃😃😃

The Sea-gull
08-03-2013, 09:42 AM
Great player but it was lazy decision by the board to appoint him as manager and it is they who I blame for the whole debacle surrounding Sauzee. That was in 2002. Hibs boards haven't made any more wrong managerial appointments since then.......

Interesting that Sauzee wore 8 to begin with, thought he was always 4. Mind may be playing tricks but seem to remember Latapy wearing 4, 6, 7 and 8 before settling on 10. True number 10 though was Latapy.

crieffhibee
09-03-2013, 03:48 AM
Pat stanton paraded the scottish cup round hampden last year, place would be electric if we could get Le God to do it this year