PDA

View Full Version : Top 6 Yay or Nay?

rcarter1
17-02-2013, 11:51 AM
I reckon we might need 41-42 pts by the split to get top 6.

Our run in is as follows:

Dundee Utd (a)
Kilmarnock (h)
Hearts (h)
Motherwell (a)
ICT (h)
Celtic (a)

What do people reckon? A pretty tough schedule, but a win in the derby, which looks more and more possible, could well clinch it...

:flag:

Sweet Left Peg
17-02-2013, 12:02 PM
Top 6. Second place should be the aim and is achievable.

hibbysam
17-02-2013, 12:09 PM
I know its not what your getting at, and for the record I feel that this season is where the split is a joke... after 33 games 10 teams are gonna be within touching distance yet your gonna be stuck in a certain half for the last 5... but i feel we as a support need to get back to taking it one game at a time, kept hearing this 1 win in 10 guff all week, lets look at the United game before talking about Hearts which is about 4 weeks away and then look at the season as a whole at the end...

For what its worth I feel we are capable of staying in the top 6 and would be tragic if we didn't get it having been there for about 24 of the 27 weeks!

3pm
17-02-2013, 12:14 PM
Yes.

Eyrie
17-02-2013, 12:14 PM
We'll make it, but being Hibs it'll be in sixth place on goal difference or fifth by a point. Regardless, it'll be a dogfight for positions 2-6 after the split so we only need to be there. Having a few points advantage will be a bonus.

Sas_The_Hibby
17-02-2013, 12:16 PM
I know its not what your getting at, and for the record I feel that this season is where the split is a joke... after 33 games 10 teams are gonna be within touching distance yet your gonna be stuck in a certain half for the last 5... but i feel we as a support need to get back to taking it one game at a time, kept hearing this 1 win in 10 guff all week, lets look at the United game before talking about Hearts which is about 4 weeks away and then look at the season as a whole at the end...

For what its worth I feel we are capable of staying in the top 6 and would be tragic if we didn't get it having been there for about 24 of the 27 weeks!

:agree: And every other season.................

lord bunberry
17-02-2013, 12:22 PM
I think next week will be tough but the four games after that we have 3 at home so we should pick up enough points to keep ourselves up there

Mikey
17-02-2013, 12:22 PM
Top 6. Second place should be the aim and is achievable.

:agree:

blackpoolhibs
17-02-2013, 12:27 PM
I don't think 2nd is achievable, thats not to say we shouldn't go for it. Top 6 yes, it could be anywhere from 2nd to 6th imo.

Malthibby
17-02-2013, 01:12 PM
Yay, or Yo, or possibly Yo-yo.
Let's go for second.
GG

eastterrace
17-02-2013, 01:14 PM
I think we would need another 7 pts so two wins and a draw should be about enough

Hainan Hibs
17-02-2013, 01:17 PM
Tough run-in however I see us scrapping in in 6th place.

SteveHFC
17-02-2013, 01:17 PM

Dundee Utd (a) 3Pts
Kilmarnock (h) 3Pts
Hearts (h) 3Pts
Motherwell (a) 3Pts
ICT (h) 3Pts
Celtic (a) 3Pts

:cb

NORTHERNHIBBY
17-02-2013, 01:40 PM
We aren'tconsistent enough to make a guess with any conviction. Gonna need to be one game at a time,

GGTTH07
17-02-2013, 01:44 PM
Lets ****** push for second. Best chance we have without the Huns. Only 3 points in it! :not worth

Chibs
17-02-2013, 02:31 PM

Dundee Utd (a) 3Pts
Kilmarnock (h) 3Pts
Hearts (h) 3Pts
Motherwell (a) 3Pts
ICT (h) 3Pts
Celtic (a) 3Pts

:cb
Hope you are correct but I'll be more than happy with 3Pts against the SOTE

hibeedonald
17-02-2013, 02:32 PM
The seasons going to get exciting soon!

Time For Heroes
17-02-2013, 03:04 PM
Let be honest how many would have taken top 6 at the start od the season? Good result if we get there imo

blackpoolhibs
17-02-2013, 03:10 PM
Let be honest how many would have taken top 6 at the start od the season? Good result if we get there imo

In a way we have exceeded expectations, our very good start has folk looking for more than i believe this current squad can achieve. I may be wrong, and hope i am but i dont think 2nd is achieveable but would love us to do it. :pray:

Sweet Left Peg
17-02-2013, 03:12 PM
I don't think 2nd is achievable, thats not to say we shouldn't go for it. Top 6 yes, it could be anywhere from 2nd to 6th imo.

Why is second not achievable? I would reckon that Dundee Utd will fancy their chances of finishing second and they are four points below us.

Dashing Bob S
17-02-2013, 03:13 PM
Second place is more than achievable in this league of donkeys. All it takes is a bit of self-belief, application, and we can clinch this slot. We shouldn't be thinking of anything less.

JHFC
17-02-2013, 03:26 PM
if Motherwell win their games in hand they will be 9 points clear of us in 2nd.

Jones28
17-02-2013, 03:37 PM
I think more of those games are winnable than not. I don't hold much hope for Celtic park but our 3 home games should be wins if we play how we know we can.

yeezus.
17-02-2013, 03:44 PM
I think we'll finish fourth. Aberdeen probably won't be far off in fifth.

Col2
17-02-2013, 03:52 PM
Realistically we can achieve at best 3rd as I think Motherwell have the best form and balance. A 3rd place finish would be a good outcome given the last 12-18 months.

However looking at that run of games we are likely I struggle away to United, Motherwell and Celtic. We need to win our home games against Killie, Yams and ICT.

My view is:-

3rd place is best position

5th is likely position behind Celtic, Motherwell, ICT and Dundee Utd. I can see us edging Aberdeen, St Johnstone and Killie and I think Ross County will just fall short. Yams and St Mirren have just about too much to make up to reach top 6.

A win at United and followed up with home win v Killie and we are almost certain on top 6 qualification and likely to be in 3rd going into final 7 or 8 games.

GlenrothesHibee
17-02-2013, 05:12 PM
Any position in the top 6 would have exceeded my expectations at the start of the season however with where we have been all season id be disappointed if we didnt get top 6 now. I think 2nd is beyond us but i fancy 4th which would be a remarkable turnaround in one season

Squealing pig
17-02-2013, 05:53 PM
Think well get top six no prob do you still get Europe for 4th?

GlenrothesHibee
17-02-2013, 05:57 PM

Yeah 4th means Europe

Squealing pig
17-02-2013, 05:58 PM
Cheers think if we finished fourth rod could strengthen squad in the summer.

Sir David Gray
17-02-2013, 06:06 PM

Yeah 4th means Europe

Not this year unfortunately. Not automatically anyway.

Only 1st place gets into the Champions League so 2nd and 3rd qualify for the Europa League, along with the Scottish Cup winners.

If that team also qualifies for the Champions League through their league position (i.e. Celtic) then the 4th placed side will get in to the Europa League.

Otherwise, they won't.

frazeHFC
17-02-2013, 06:08 PM
For me Sunday is a huge game, we never do well there but a win would be massive. Hard run but reckon we will get top 4 at the end of the season.

danhibees1875
17-02-2013, 08:31 PM
Not this year unfortunately. Not automatically anyway.

Only 1st place gets into the Champions League so 2nd and 3rd qualify for the Europa League, along with the Scottish Cup winners.

If that team also qualifies for the Champions League through their league position (i.e. Celtic) then the 4th placed side will get in to the Europa League.

Otherwise, they won't.

We'll end up finishing 4th having knocked Celtic out in the semis of the Scottish and losing the final then. :greengrin

Sir David Gray
17-02-2013, 09:14 PM
We'll end up finishing 4th having knocked Celtic out in the semis of the Scottish and losing the final then. :greengrin

I actually got that the wrong way round.

If Celtic win the league (therefore qualify for the Champions League) and the Scottish Cup, then the 3rd Europa League spot would be taken by the runners up in the Scottish Cup.

The only way that the 4th placed side will qualify for Europe next season is if the winners of the Scottish Cup finish 2nd or 3rd and therefore qualify for the Europa League through their league placing.

So on that basis, we'll finish 4th and Celtic will beat Falkirk in the final of the cup!

danhibees1875
17-02-2013, 09:22 PM
I actually got that the wrong way round.

If Celtic win the league (therefore qualify for the Champions League) and the Scottish Cup, then the 3rd Europa League spot would be taken by the runners up in the Scottish Cup.

The only way that the 4th placed side will qualify for Europe next season is if the winners of the Scottish Cup finish 2nd or 3rd and therefore qualify for the Europa League through their league placing.

So on that basis, we'll finish 4th and Celtic will beat Falkirk in the final of the cup!

Was there not something along the lines of the SC european place got you in to europe at a more advanced stage and therefore teams took the SC qualification. Meaning 4th did get the place?

Or have I just made that up. :confused:

NORTHERNHIBBY
17-02-2013, 09:28 PM
Is it too early for a " finish second" or " win the Scottish Cup", thread??:whistle:

jonty
17-02-2013, 09:34 PM
if Motherwell win their games in hand they will be 9 points clear of us in 2nd.
ManU are 12 points clear, but even they wont concede the season is over (especially given the points swing last season).

A string of good results and a bit of belief will have us back up there.

I'd have taken top 6 at the start of the season, but should always be aiming for the top. No team should be starting the season aiming for 2nd place.
Take each game as it comes, don't worry about anyone else, get the 3 points.

As me old granny use to say - look after the pennies and the pounds will look after themselves. Well, look after the 3 points and the league position will look after itself. :cb

Sir David Gray
17-02-2013, 09:41 PM
Was there not something along the lines of the SC european place got you in to europe at a more advanced stage and therefore teams took the SC qualification. Meaning 4th did get the place?

Or have I just made that up. :confused:

Scottish Cup winners-play off round
2nd place-3rd qualifying round
3rd place-2nd qualifying round

If the 2nd placed side in the SPL wins the Scottish Cup then they go into the play off round of the Europa League, the 3rd placed side starts in the 3rd qualifying round and the 4th placed side start in the 2nd qualifying round.

If the 1st placed side wins the Scottish Cup then they have already qualified for a better competition (Champions League) through their league position and in those circumstances, the runners up qualify for the 2nd qualifying round, the 3rd placed side in the SPL qualifies for the 3rd qualifying round and the 2nd placed side qualifies for the play off round.

Whoever finishes 4th this season needs to hope that the Scottish Cup winners finish either 2nd or 3rd in the SPL, in order for them to qualify for the Europa League next season.

Col2
17-02-2013, 09:56 PM

If the 2nd placed side in the SPL wins the Scottish Cup then they go into the play off round of the Europa League, the 3rd placed side starts in the 3rd qualifying round and the 4th placed side start in the 2nd qualifying round.

If the 1st placed side wins the Scottish Cup then they have already qualified for a better competition (Champions League) through their league position and in those circumstances, the runners up qualify for the 2nd qualifying round, the 3rd placed side in the SPL qualifies for the 3rd qualifying round and the 2nd placed side qualifies for the play off round.

Whoever finishes 4th this season needs to hope that the Scottish Cup winners finish either 2nd or 3rd in the SPL, in order for them to qualify for the Europa League next season.

Interesting. So as Motherwell, ICT, Aberdeen and St Johnstone are out then realistically that could mean us, Killie and Dundee utd that could finish 2nd / 3rd and win cup or finish runners up to Celtic.

danhibees1875
18-02-2013, 12:26 AM

Thanks. :aok:

Fingers crossed some of this actually applies to us come May. :greengrin

M6hibee
18-02-2013, 01:02 AM
aye we will kick on fae yesterday:flag: