PDA

View Full Version : Player Ratings

Humo
16-02-2013, 09:53 PM
I wasn't at the game but I'm curious.

People who where there what are your thoughts?

:pfgwa:pfgwa

CallumLaidlaw
16-02-2013, 10:42 PM
Williams - 7 - Done everything required
Stevenson - 9.5 - Superb
McPake - 7 - dealt with Concalves, but his passing was ropey at times
Hanlon - 8 - Solid
Mcgivern - 8 - defended well and got up and down the wing well
Claros - 10 - Outstanding would love to see him sign permanently
Taiwo - 7.5 - Neat and tidy. Broke up play well
Cairney - 7 - decent. Looked dangerous, but was knackered after an hour
Done - 7.5 - gave us a different option, but came inside to help when needed. Won the penalty
Robertson - 7.5 - much better than last week
Griffiths - 8.5 - drifted in and out of the game due to being the lone striker, but his effort after taking on 2 players was superb, he had a good free kick, and cool as you like for the penalty. Chased stuff down all day too.

hibsbollah
16-02-2013, 11:02 PM
Weird. Alasdair Lamont on the BBC report says the game was 'dripping in mediocrity'. Folk at the game on here say we played well and the 451 worked well and we had no poor performers. :dunno:

Billychaotic182
16-02-2013, 11:06 PM
Weird. Alasdair Lamont on the BBC report says the game was 'dripping in mediocrity'. Folk at the game on here say we played well and the 451 worked well and we had no poor performers. :dunno:

I thought that was odd myself. I wasn't at the game but updates on here would suggest we are good and everyone put in a shift

CallumLaidlaw
16-02-2013, 11:17 PM
Just went and read the BBC report. I actually said to my dad at half time that it was quite an enjoyable game. We played well for most of the game. We set up in 4-5-1, worked hard and played some good football at times.

hibsbollah
16-02-2013, 11:24 PM
And if you think the BBC report on our performance was bad, read this in the scotsman :dunno:

http://m.scotsman.com/sport/football/top-football-stories/st-mirren-0-1-hibernian-griffiths-grabs-winner-1-2795805

Were the hibs fans at the game today deluded, or do the media just not give us credit? Or maybe the hacks involved werent watching the game?

Emerald
16-02-2013, 11:25 PM
Just went and read the BBC report. I actually said to my dad at half time that it was quite an enjoyable game. We played well for most of the game. We set up in 4-5-1, worked hard and played some good football at times.

Agree. Nothing special but a solid away from home performance and a well needed win.

gegs70
17-02-2013, 12:24 AM
The stats after the 1st half suggested that we had 1shot on target and 1off...st mirren had 4 shots off target. It did sound like nothing much was happening too.....I will check out the papers tomorrow.

Centre Hawf
17-02-2013, 02:32 AM
Can't be bothered doing everyone but i wan't to give a special mention for Stevenson. Thought he was sublime in a position he has never played in till monday, especially considering he got a (soft) booking earlier on i thought he was careful enough to not get booked without standing off his man. Even tried to get forward when possible but suffered the weaker foot curse. Can't believe some still dont rate him.

davidw
17-02-2013, 08:31 AM
Think it is all relative. Certainly wasn't the greatest game or performance ever, but compared to recent performances it was so much better ('night and day' - see that thread..). They tried to keep the ball down, at times passed it quite well, and even stretched the opposition on both wings. Also ran about like headless chickens (aka 'played the pressing game') when they didn't have possession - and did it really well. So, yes, all relative.

The downside? St. Mirren better play a lot better than that in the bleedin' league cup final....

Golden Bear
17-02-2013, 08:40 AM
And if you think the BBC report on our performance was bad, read this in the scotsman :dunno:

http://m.scotsman.com/sport/football/top-football-stories/st-mirren-0-1-hibernian-griffiths-grabs-winner-1-2795805

Were the hibs fans at the game today deluded, or do the media just not give us credit? Or maybe the hacks involved werent watching the game?

A win's a win I dare say and these days we should be eternally grateful.

However today's SP gives the game a one star rating and summarises the match as follows:-

"Leigh Griffiths' dribble and shot in the first half was the only moment of real quality in a poor match"

So the message seems to be that we should enjoy the moment but It's not time get the bunting out yet.

davidw
17-02-2013, 08:40 AM
Can't be bothered doing everyone but i wan't to give a special mention for Stevenson. Thought he was sublime in a position he has never played in till monday, especially
considering he got a (soft) booking earlier on i thought he was careful enough to not get booked without standing off his man. Even tried to get forward when possible but suffered the weaker foot curse. Can't believe some still dont rate him.

Think it is all relative. Certainly wasn't the greatest game or performance ever, but compared to recent performances it was so much better ('night and day' - see that thread..). They tried to keep the ball down, at times passed it quite well, and even stretched the opposition on both wings. Also ran about like headless chickens (aka 'played the pressing game') when they didn't have possession - and did it really well. So, yes, all relative.

The downside? St. Mirren better play a lot better than that in the bleedin' league cup final....

hibsbollah
17-02-2013, 10:14 AM
A win's a win I dare say and these days we should be eternally grateful.

However today's SP gives the game a one star rating and summarises the match as follows:-

"Leigh Griffiths' dribble and shot in the first half was the only moment of real quality in a poor match" and most bizarrely'it wasnt exactly a goodday to be a hibs fan' :dunno: we got the 3 points, Richard Bath.

So the message seems to be that we should enjoy the moment but It's not time get the bunting out yet.

'Only a masochist would rush to watch this match again'...and 'it wasnt exactly a good day to be a Hibs fan' :dunno: Bizarre.

NORTHERNHIBBY
17-02-2013, 10:31 AM
The journo's comments on the games are made in isolation. The fans comments on the games are made in the context of what we have previously seen, including last Monday. In respect of that, the newspapers are for football fans in general and the web sites are for followers of the team.
As for Alasdair Lamont, when he is on the tele, he always looks like he has just smelled something that is on the turn,

bingo70
17-02-2013, 10:39 AM

That report highlights the difference between Scottish and English media. The English media go way ott about any positives to take and the Scottish media looks for ways to knock our game. It's in their interest for Scottish football to be popular but that report isn't going to have folk rushing to Easter road to witness the progress that's being made is it?!

I'm not expecting him to rave about the game like it was a classic but there were clearly positives that came from the game so why not focus on them rather than the negatives??!!

JohnStephens91
17-02-2013, 10:45 AM
Overall I thought the game was actually pretty good and I enjoyed watching it. We kept the ball on the deck and passed it about rather than knocking it long all the time to Griffiths. Granted there were a few long balls pumped forward but a majority of the game was played stroking the ball about and creating chances in that way rather than a punt forward and hope for the best.

hibs4thecup1988
17-02-2013, 10:57 AM
I am actually sitting stunned at the moment reading these reports.

Hibs passed ball superbly well, midfield worked hard, Griffiths ran his socks off. We had a few efforts.

Don't believe everything you read it papers, get along for yourself and support the boys starting on Sunday!

HibernianJK
17-02-2013, 11:14 AM
I looked at the stats on the BBC and it showed we dominated possession. Something we have not done an awful lot of this season. I am really pleased with this as its not often we make then opposition chase us around for long periods. I like watching us playing neat, tidy football. We might not have created all awful lot but we seemed to control the game and sounded relatively comfortable

Fergus52
17-02-2013, 11:14 AM
The stats after the 1st half suggested that we had 1shot on target and 1off...st mirren had 4 shots off target. It did sound like nothing much was happening too.....I will check out the papers tomorrow.

Youre getting it the wrong way around.

Half time we had 4 shots off target and they had one on target.

hibsbollah
17-02-2013, 11:47 AM
I am actually sitting stunned at the moment reading these reports.

Hibs passed ball superbly well, midfield worked hard, Griffiths ran his socks off. We had a few efforts.

Don't believe everything you read it papers, get along for yourself and support the boys starting on Sunday!

We win 1-0 away to a team on a good run of form, by all accounts from those who were there we played well, had 55% possession, more shots and nobody had a bad game, yet its 'not exactly a good day to be a Hibs fan'. :dunno:

Spike Mandela
17-02-2013, 12:04 PM
Can it be the case that a team plays well but it's a rubbish game? Let's face it if both defences play poorly it can lead to lot's of chances and goals and an exciting game. If defences and midfield play well it could lead to a stale boring match.

If our supporters are saying the team played well enough perhaps it could still be a poor game for the neutral/journo.

LeighLoyal
17-02-2013, 12:48 PM
hope he keeps the same eleven for the united game. The biggest problem with Hibs over the past 5 years or so is we've never had any stability or continuity in the squad. The revolving managerial door and the current trend of giving guys short term deals doesn't help but find something that works and stick to it.

hibs4thecup1988
17-02-2013, 01:55 PM
We win 1-0 away to a team on a good run of form, by all accounts from those who were there we played well, had 55% possession, more shots and nobody had a bad game, yet its 'not exactly a good day to be a Hibs fan'. :dunno:

Exactly. Journos know absolutely bugger all. I honestly thought that was the best we have played since quite possibly Aberdeen at home in the league game we lost 1-0.

Came away happy at least!!

Jones28
17-02-2013, 02:53 PM
That's the most dour, negative and downbeat match report I have ever read.

Jonnyboy
17-02-2013, 07:25 PM

bollah, I've commented elsewhere on the quality of Richard Bath's match report. The only thing worthy of the mediocre tag is his ramblings :agree:

hibsbollah
17-02-2013, 08:42 PM
bollah, I've commented elsewhere on the quality of Richard Bath's match report. The only thing worthy of the mediocre tag is his ramblings :agree:

Yes, ive just found that thread, i agree completely with your points :agree: Sorry for hijacking the player ratings thread but i really must blame Dick Bath.