PDA

View Full Version : 80's Hibs Badge

sambajustice
16-02-2013, 10:13 PM
Apart from being a bit pish, what was the reason we changed the aforementioned badge for the beer bottle label??

I thought it was something to with crown on the badge but not sure!

Jonnyboy
16-02-2013, 10:18 PM
Apart from being a bit pish, what was the reason we changed the aforementioned badge for the beer bottle label??

I thought it was something to with crown on the badge but not sure!

Pretty sure the Lord Lyon (regulator of coats of arms) reckoned we had no right to a badge displaying a crown.

Mikey
16-02-2013, 10:19 PM
Pretty sure the Lord Lyon (regulator of coats of arms) reckoned we had no right to a badge displaying a crown.

Yep.

jodjam
16-02-2013, 10:20 PM

Aye that's how I remember it. Plus I got the crown badge tattoo 2 months before hibs changed it. Was gutted at the time but its still my fav badge

sambajustice
16-02-2013, 10:52 PM
Cheers for that!!

Next question, why did we have a crown on the badge anyway??

Peevemor
16-02-2013, 11:03 PM
Cheers for that!!

Was it not a rip-off of the Real Madrid badge?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/fr/thumb/c/c7/Logo_Real_Madrid.svg/428px-Logo_Real_Madrid.svg.png

Bishop Hibee
16-02-2013, 11:14 PM
Made up by Tom Hart?

Better than the beer label effort but thankfully we have a badge which reflects both the history of Hibs and the present.

capitals_finest
16-02-2013, 11:40 PM
Cheers for that!!

We were the kings of football. :aok:

Hibernia&Alba
17-02-2013, 01:30 AM
Made up by Tom Hart?

Better than the beer label effort but thankfully we have a badge which reflects both the history of Hibs and the present.

Agreed. No subservient nod to any crown for me. The harp, ship and castle is just fine, though I do like the original big harp crest.

Keith_M
17-02-2013, 07:27 AM
Made up by Tom Hart?

I asked my Dad about this before and he reckons there was a version of that badge as far back as the Fifties. He said he can remember it being on the club blazers of the players on special occassions.

EDIT: This (http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/javaImages/1d/69/0,,10290~9660701,00.jpg) photo shows the 'Crown' badge on display in the early 70's, I'll keep looking for older references.

NORTHERNHIBBY
17-02-2013, 09:39 AM
Loved the crown badge on the shiny Umbro top. One of the old 80's tops that I still have looks a better colour than the ones in between, especially the LCS ones. Didn't take to the beer label at all, I would like to see the club weld over the gaps in the struts behind the FF stand where you can still see this.

Jonnyboy
17-02-2013, 08:59 PM
Was it not a rip-off of the Real Madrid badge?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/fr/thumb/c/c7/Logo_Real_Madrid.svg/428px-Logo_Real_Madrid.svg.png

Nice thought but no :greengrin

Pretty sure the crown connection was because we have a royal palace in Edinburgh

The beer bottle/planert saturn badge was mingin :greengrin

Our present badge is simply superb :agree:

HUTCHYHIBBY
17-02-2013, 09:04 PM
Agreed. No subservient nod to any crown for me.

Aye, we know!

Bostonhibby
17-02-2013, 10:36 PM
I asked my Dad about this before and he reckons there was a version of that badge as far back as the Fifties. He said he can remember it being on the club blazers of the players on special occassions.

EDIT: This (http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/javaImages/1d/69/0,,10290~9660701,00.jpg) photo shows the 'Crown' badge on display in the early 70's, I'll keep looking for older references.

Still got a scarf with a crown badge sewn onto it. Had it since I was 8 years old so that confirms the old crown badge was around in 1968 at least.

Lang Toun Hibs
18-02-2013, 09:20 AM
Aye that's how I remember it. Plus I got the crown badge tattoo 2 months before hibs changed it. Was gutted at the time but its still my fav badge

I assume Lord Lyon personally removed this for you?!

heretoday
18-02-2013, 09:40 AM
Bring back the Crown badge!

Baader
18-02-2013, 11:42 AM
Bring back the Crown badge!

Didn't look bad but a pretty meaningless badge that reflects nothing about the club.

The badge have now says it all about our club. It's superb!

superfurryhibby
18-02-2013, 11:56 AM
Still got a scarf with a crown badge sewn onto it. Had it since I was 8 years old so that confirms the old crown badge was around in 1968 at least.

I reckon that would be about when it was introduced. The early-later sixties seemed to feature a castle on it. I 've mentioned this before but haven't seen an image for a long time. I had it on my cot, as a large transfer, when I was a nipper.

StevieC
18-02-2013, 12:58 PM
If I remember rightly, which I rarely do these days, the "Hibernian" on the beer label badge was slanted to depict the famous Easter Road slope.

heretoday
20-02-2013, 04:24 PM
Didn't look bad but a pretty meaningless badge that reflects nothing about the club.

The badge have now says it all about our club. It's superb!

I do like our present badge and it was very tastefully done. But there is something about the crown badge. It's the bright colours I think.

HibeeDave
20-02-2013, 10:07 PM
If I remember rightly, which I rarely do these days, the "Hibernian" on the beer label badge was slanted to depict the famous Easter Road slope.

Correct, although I fall into the same category of rarely remembering correctly.

jgl07
21-02-2013, 01:07 AM

Indeed.

Hence the new badge when the slope was removed.

Hibee_Dave
21-02-2013, 09:04 AM
I had a feeling that I had seen the crown logo with a shamrock in it rather than copying the UK crown.....I realies I'm on the verge of straying into a debate I don't want to be getting into but is it possible that it was the Irish crown on the badge rather than the British one? Not sure if that would really explain the badge's disappearance though....

Anyway, exhibit A - found here on post 78 http://www.talkceltic.net/forum/showthread.php?t=114811&page=6

Brizo
21-02-2013, 01:43 PM
I had a feeling that I had seen the crown logo with a shamrock in it rather than copying the UK crown.....I realies I'm on the verge of straying into a debate I don't want to be getting into but is it possible that it was the Irish crown on the badge rather than the British one? Not sure if that would really explain the badge's disappearance though....

Anyway, exhibit A - found here on post 78 http://www.talkceltic.net/forum/showthread.php?t=114811&page=6

Im pretty sure the Crown badge was based on the Real Madrid badge and was in fact designed by either Tom Hart or Tommy Youngers wife.

No recollection of it ever having a shamrock included and recalling Tom Harts views on Tricolours would be amazed if the Crown was intended to have any Irish connection.

i like the badge because it was the badge that for me spanned a period with lots of good memories of going to the fitba altho not always the fitba itself, but as others have said it was meaningless and not a patch on our current excellent crest.

PerthHibby
21-02-2013, 10:20 PM
Loved the crown badge on the shiny Umbro top. One of the old 80's tops that I still have looks a better colour than the ones in between, especially the LCS ones. Didn't take to the beer label at all, I would like to see the club weld over the gaps in the struts behind the FF stand where you can still see this.

This one

image.jpg (20.3 KB) image.jpg (25.8 KB

Paisley Hibby
21-02-2013, 10:32 PM

I also think it was meant to be a stylistic (abstract) harp shape plus a bit continental looking to recognise our european football heritage. That's what I seem to remember from a Hibs programme around the time Duff and Duffer introduced it as the new badge but my memory is a bit dodgy these days too.

spike220
22-02-2013, 08:31 AM
Agreed. No subservient nod to any crown for me. The harp, ship and castle is just fine, though I do like the original big harp crest.

Cant see the appeal myself!

G-Reg
22-02-2013, 06:55 PM
I do think the current badge is our best but I have a bit of a soft spot for the Saturn badge as it was the one I grew up with from the age of 8 to 19

Here is a picture of our last 3 badges

http://flic.kr/p/dWU2Ut