PDA

View Full Version : Night and Day

hibs4thecup1988
16-02-2013, 08:38 PM
Well well well....

That was totally night and day to Monday night. Have they been training at East Mains this week? Passed the ball on the ground, made runs, took players on. Yes I appreciate still a few long balls. McPake, Hanlon, McGivern had good games, Done, Griffiths, Williams, Taiwo and Cairney has great games. However I think that Robertson, Claros and ESPECIALLY Stevenson had fanstastic games. Robertson got in about them, Claros passed the ball well, and Stevenson made good runs up and down the pitch and put the foot in. Still don't think it was a booking btw... I really feel the striker pulled him back first?

Not sure about the penalty call... but will take it. Such a composed finish by Sparky as well. Even after he tried to hit me pre match :).

It is good to be back on track with the 3 points. Wasn't going to Tannadice next week but think I shall go now

GGTTH :flag::hibees

Billy Whizz
16-02-2013, 08:41 PM
Great playing surface at paisley today. Every reason for playing on the deck

davidw
16-02-2013, 08:47 PM
Spot on. They even passed (passed!) the ball from kick-off, rather than the rugby drop-ball type effort. And there was - gulp! - width. Yes, width!

Night and day indeed. In fact, I very nearly enjoyed it...

wheniwas5
16-02-2013, 08:52 PM
its funny how different people see the game so different.
i thought hibs played well , claros was prob my man of the match.
but for me done and robertson didnt do much in the whole game.
robertsons passing was shocking at times and done cant go by a man, thou
i know he should be playing on the other side.
midfeild defo better with claros and taiwo in there.
a good 3 points thou

hibs4thecup1988
16-02-2013, 09:10 PM
I honestly thought robertson had a good game. The midfield was soo much brighter than monday. As for Done. He took the ball and always looked to go past his man.

Claros and Stevenson together for motm for me.

Hibeesforever
16-02-2013, 09:43 PM
Outstanding performance. Composed, calm and confidence throughout the team. We did pass the ball really well. Done looked like a good footballer. He linked up with the rest of the midfield really well. Masterstoke was Stevenson at right back, I have never seen a right back appear on the left wing but he did and just gives great hope for the rest of the season. Total football on the deck most of the time. Sparky is a very cool customer. The difference was there when Caldwell came on and he ran is heart out tracking back and harrying. Totally different formation, side and performance from Hibernian today.
Can't wait for Tannadice. Having been there on the first day of the season, despite Monday, the improvement is quite startling. Beating Kilmarnock in the cup is not now a forlorn hope.

:flag:

LancashireHibby
16-02-2013, 09:56 PM
Absolute world away from Monday night. Dare I say it, I think it stemmed from the extra security of having five men in midfield, but it would be a big call from PF to only play one up front in a home game?

Carheenlea
16-02-2013, 11:03 PM
Absolute world away from Monday night. Dare I say it, I think it stemmed from the extra security of having five men in midfield, but it would be a big call from PF to only play one up front in a home game?

I don`t see why it should. If it gives us our best chances of getting a result, then one up front it needs to be. You have to play to your strengths regardless of whether you are at home or not.

LancashireHibby
16-02-2013, 11:47 PM
I don`t see why it should. If it gives us our best chances of getting a result, then one up front it needs to be. You have to play to your strengths regardless of whether you are at home or not.
Some may see it as a negative sort of move though?

hfc rd
16-02-2013, 11:52 PM

Couldn't agree more.

Jones28
17-02-2013, 12:30 AM

Absolutely, and by the sounds of it we played better football with a 4-5-1 too

number9dream
17-02-2013, 12:36 AM
Outstanding? At no stage did we look like losing but I'm not sure that qualifies as entertainment. Solid but unspectacular is about the best way to describe the performance... Something to build on I guess.

Borderhibbie76
17-02-2013, 08:02 AM
Dare I say it was one of the big differences today there was NO DEEGAN in the side???
In my honest opinion our best performances this season have come when he has been out the team and Taiwo and Claros have been the 2 shields in front of the back 4.
I don't like to be critical of any Hibs player unnecessarily but I don't think Deegan offers us much at all in midfield other than a bit of grit. Tom and Jorge are far better football players!!

Great result anyway and hopefully it's the start of a wee run that gets us top 6 and last 4 of the cup, which I would have bitten your hand off for at start of the season

:pfgwa

jeffers
17-02-2013, 08:07 AM
Dare I say it was one of the big differences today there was NO DEEGAN in the side???
In my honest opinion our best performances this season have come when he has been out the team and Taiwo and Claros have been the 2 shields in front of the back 4.
I don't like to be critical of any Hibs player unnecessarily but I don't think Deegan offers us much at all in midfield other than a bit of grit. Tom and Jorge are far better football players!!

Great result anyway and hopefully it's the start of a wee run that gets us top 6 and last 4 of the cup, which I would have bitten your hand off for at start of the season

:pfgwa

Totally agree, I prefer Claros and Taiwo, but I fully expect Deegan to start next game. He seems to be one of Paddy's first names on the team sheet.

hibs4thecup1988
17-02-2013, 09:26 AM

Agreed

4-5-1 has to be the way forward. Even if it meant playing Doyle at right midfield in home games ala Celtic(?).

Someone mentioned we were not outstanding...in my view the midfield was. They tracked, they tackled, they passed, they shot. They done everything that was asked of them and more. The defence were not really threatened but what they had to deal with they did.

Never mind! Let's roll onto next Sunday and get another 3 points. Hopefully United's confidence will be gone after that result yesterday :wink:

Dashing Bob S
17-02-2013, 09:44 AM
Yes, I'm hoping it has dawned on PF that we just aren't getting the results with hoofball percentage 'football' -apart from it being Jambo-ugly (and that's double ugly with added cheese) on the eye. Short passing, with organisation, movement off the ball and being prepared to take players on is the way forward. And it's the Hibs way, as taught to both Brazil and Barca. Let's re-school ourselves.

NORTHERNHIBBY
17-02-2013, 09:56 AM
Inconsistent performances on the pitch get reflected with inconsistent opinions off the pitch. The highs and lows of this season discussed like this in between games. The way that TT and JC showed up yesterday kinda reminded me of Liam Miller and Kevin McBride, When they played then the whole team played.

neil7908
17-02-2013, 10:09 AM
After Mondays game I had big doubts over the direction our season was going. Still have concerns but it really gives me confidence that Fenlon was able to get a reaction and much improved performance from the players, and crucially, pick up 3 points. Things are still somewhat in the balance as the season can still go either way but, short of a spectacular collapse his job should not be in any doubt. Of the managers we've had over the last few years he's a rarity in that although the results and performances haven't been incredible this season, I can see where he wants to take the team and generally understand what he's trying to do.

I also appreciate that after a poor performance like Monday he wasn't blaming tiredness, referees etc or making any excuses. He came out and apologised to the fans and made it clear that wouldn't be tolerated. I think we may continue to be up and down this season but I'm hopeful about seeing the side that starts next season as I think we'll be a different proposition. Danger tho is that so many folk are out if contact or loans are expiring that we may have a big rebuilding job again.

sbell1875
17-02-2013, 10:29 AM
Claros for me made the difference. We need to sign him permanently.

Big Ed
17-02-2013, 10:35 AM
Danger tho is that so many folk are out if contact or loans are expiring that we may have a big rebuilding job again.

I think that this is the reality of modern Scottish football now: the idea of building for the future is becoming a distant fantasy.