PDA

View Full Version : New Signing? / Irish content for Blackpool Hibs

scoopyboy
16-02-2013, 09:11 AM
Not seen it posted on here today but according to the ever reliable Scottish Sun we are going to offer a pre contract to Ryan O'Leary.

Ryan was born in Glasgow and was a Scotland under 21 player, however Blackpool me old son he is the offspring of Pearce O'Leary who was most famous for blasting a pen over the coo shed in a penalty shoot out in the 80's.

Does this fit with the signing regime mate?

Time For Heroes
16-02-2013, 09:14 AM
Haha thats funny.... You read The Sun. :D

Billy Whizz
16-02-2013, 09:15 AM
Not seen it posted on here today but according to the ever reliable Scottish Sun we are going to offer a pre contract to Ryan O'Leary.

Ryan was born in Glasgow and was a Scotland under 21 player, however Blackpool me old son he is the offspring of Pearce O'Leary who was most famous for blasting a pen over the coo shed in a penalty shoot out in the 80's.

Where is he currently. Is he a left back?

scoopyboy
16-02-2013, 09:16 AM
Haha thats funny.... You read The Sun. :D

I read all the papers at work, it saves buying them.

Also check the Sun on line every day as well as others. Don't see the harm in it to be honest.

Heisenberg
16-02-2013, 09:16 AM
Killie player? The guy that tackled Paul Cairney for the pen in the game at ER IIRC

scoopyboy
16-02-2013, 09:17 AM
Where is he currently. Is he a left back?

Kilmarnock, not sure what his position is.

007 Mickey Weir
16-02-2013, 09:17 AM
He plays for Killie and is a defender.

Billy Whizz
16-02-2013, 09:20 AM
Kilmarnock, not sure what his position is.

Wears no 5, was an unused sub v Inverness on Wednesday

NORTHERNHIBBY
16-02-2013, 09:21 AM
We need a forward and at least one midfielder prepared to run beyond the strikers. No sure why we would look at another defender?

LancashireHibby
16-02-2013, 09:23 AM
We need a forward and at least one midfielder prepared to run beyond the strikers. No sure why we would look at another defender?
Because we can't defend.

blackpoolhibs
16-02-2013, 09:26 AM

Terrific news bud. :wink: No idea what he's like, i cant think i have ever noticed him?

Eyrie
16-02-2013, 09:33 AM

Both Maybury and McGivern are out of contract at the end of this season, so it makes sense to look at alternatives. Would love to keep McGivern, but I'm relaxed about Maybury being replaced.

number9dream
16-02-2013, 10:27 AM
O'Leary, 25, has been at Killie for more than seven years and has managed a little over 60 starts.

If wee Pat wants another central defender, Rugby Park team-mate Mo Sissoko might be a better bet. Very strong, France youth international, schooled at Udinese, only 24 and experience of SPL. Out of contract at the end of the season.

One Irishman we should definitely be offering pre-contract terms is Aaron Doran. Intelligent forward-thinking midfielder, who likes to get wide and is comfortbale with both feet. 21-years-old and leads SPL assists chart...

lord bunberry
16-02-2013, 10:29 AM
Both Maybury and McGivern are out of contract at the end of this season, so it makes sense to look at alternatives. Would love to keep McGivern, but I'm relaxed about Maybury being replaced.

I think many people are relaxed about maybury leaving

MWHIBBIES
16-02-2013, 10:43 AM
I think many people are relaxed about maybury leavingI don't know why, Maybury has done well for us on either side of the defense this season. Would have no problems with him staying.

Diclonius
16-02-2013, 11:17 AM
If Hearts' signing embargo is lifted then we might as well not bother. They have a track record for deliberately offering twice the wages for players we are publically linked with.

lord bunberry
16-02-2013, 11:20 AM
I don't know why, Maybury has done well for us on either side of the defense this season. Would have no problems with him staying.

I don't want to start another maybury debate but if we are to progress as a club we need better than maybury.

HUTCHYHIBBY
16-02-2013, 11:25 AM
Don't see the harm in it to be honest.

Quite right Scoopy, always find it odd how much snobbery there is on .net re papers that folk read. I can understand Scouse's disdain for The Sun though! Doesnae stop me leafing through it, apologies if that hurts the sensibilities of any .net posters!

MWHIBBIES
16-02-2013, 11:30 AM
I don't want to start another maybury debate but if we are to progress as a club we need better than maybury.As a back-up utility full back we're unlikely to get better for (what I'd imagine) his wages.

PeterboroHibee
16-02-2013, 11:43 AM
As a back-up utility full back we're unlikely to get better for (what I'd imagine) his wages.

Yeah I think if Maybury is willing to stay on a small wage then we should renew his deal for another year. Not the greatest of players and not getting any younger, but he does play an important role in the squad and always good to have someone who can play a number of positions.

Prof. Shaggy
16-02-2013, 11:56 AM
Killie player? The guy that tackled Paul Cairney for the pen in the game at ER IIRC

The same...and repeated the trick at Rugby Park when Cairney was booked for "diving".

There is some concern about fitness, Ryan having suffered a ligament injury which almost ended his career.

lord bunberry
16-02-2013, 12:01 PM
As a back-up utility full back we're unlikely to get better for (what I'd imagine) his wages.

If he stays he stays I'm not that bothered but its high time we were bringing through some of our younger players as cover for the regular starters. If the young players aren't good enough then its time questions were asked as to why this is the case

blackpoolhibs
16-02-2013, 12:09 PM
I have one slight worry about this, it appears he's pledged his allegiance to Scotland?

Keith_M
16-02-2013, 12:10 PM
Doesn't exactly get me excited about next season if that's the standard of player we're looking at, a defender who isn't even first pick at Kilmarnock. I hope there's better news than this about signings for next season.

SteveHFC
16-02-2013, 12:14 PM
Doesn't exactly get me excited about next season if that's the standard of player we're looking at, a defender who isn't even first pick at Kilmarnock. I hope there's better news than this about signings for next season.

This.

Another cheap option. Same old crap! :greengrin

Time For Heroes
16-02-2013, 12:17 PM
I read all the papers at work, it saves buying them.

Also check the Sun on line every day as well as others. Don't see the harm in it to be honest.

Just pulling your leg... ;o)

MWHIBBIES
16-02-2013, 12:37 PM
If he stays he stays I'm not that bothered but its high time we were bringing through some of our younger players as cover for the regular starters. If the young players aren't good enough then its time questions were asked as to why this is the caseHow many teams around the world regularly produce young players good enough for their first team? I doubt its many. When a young guy comes through and does well its brilliant but its hardly front page news if we don't get anyone for a few years. We currently have Paul Hanlon and David Wotherspoon who came through at the club and Griffiths who did actually play for the club when he was younger, not too bad IMO. We're never going to get another Thomson, Brown, Riordan, Whitty, O'Connor etc type ''batch'' again, not for a while at least. The way football works now a days they wouldn't be here long anyway.

Its also quite silly to expect us to just produce a full-back in place of Maybury.

lord bunberry
16-02-2013, 01:01 PM
How many teams around the world regularly produce young players good enough for their first team? I doubt its many. When a young guy comes through and does well its brilliant but its hardly front page news if we don't get anyone for a few years. We currently have Paul Hanlon and David Wotherspoon who came through at the club and Griffiths who did actually play for the club when he was younger, not too bad IMO. We're never going to get another Thomson, Brown, Riordan, Whitty, O'Connor etc type ''batch'' again, not for a while at least. The way football works now a days they wouldn't be here long anyway.

Its also quite silly to expect us to just produce a full-back in place of Maybury.

What I meant was that we should be producing young players good enough to be given a chance to see what they can do. If our under 20s are considered not good enough to even be considered for a game as cover for the 1st team then why are they still at the club. I realise they won't all make the grade but they must have something about them or they would have been released by now. I remember when blobby was bringing through some of the golden generation he was on record as saying he wasn't sure whether some of them were good enough but he had no other choice. I would suggest we are in similar territory now

500miles
16-02-2013, 01:09 PM

Seems to have been a first pick this season at least, after a quick glance at Soccerbase.

MWHIBBIES
16-02-2013, 01:12 PM
What I meant was that we should be producing young players good enough to be given a chance to see what they can do. If our under 20s are considered not good enough to even be considered for a game as cover for the 1st team then why are they still at the club. I realise they won't all make the grade but they must have something about them or they would have been released by now. I remember when blobby was bringing through some of the golden generation he was on record as saying he wasn't sure whether some of them were good enough but he had no other choice. I would suggest we are in similar territory now

If they aren't good enough then we do have a choice, stick with the better more experienced first team players that are currently playing. I do agree that we should be producing players that should be given a chance but Fenlon first must make the team harder to beat, tougher, better and install a better mentality (which I fully believe he can do) before taking unnecessary risks.

FWIW I thought Caldwell was pretty good when given the chance in place of the injured Griffiths in the ICT game at home but obviously Fenlon isn't going to drop Griffiths for him, same applies all over the park just now.

Northernhibee
16-02-2013, 01:18 PM

IIRC Clancy wasn't Motherwell's first choice RB either and he's been important for us this season.

lord bunberry
16-02-2013, 01:22 PM
If they aren't good enough then we do have a choice, stick with the better more experienced first team players that are currently playing. I do agree that we should be producing players that should be given a chance but Fenlon first must make the team harder to beat, tougher, better and install a better mentality (which I fully believe he can do) before taking unnecessary risks.

FWIW I thought Caldwell was pretty good when given the chance in place of the injured Griffiths in the ICT game at home but obviously Fenlon isn't going to drop Griffiths for him, same applies all over the park just now.

Its a pity the reserve league has gone as it was a good stepping stone to the 1st team. I think it was good for the younger players to play against some experienced players and the games were played at easter road so they all got used to playing at the stadium. It was also good for introducing kids to going to games before they were taken to the big games

One Day
16-02-2013, 01:24 PM
This.

Another cheap option. Same old crap! :greengrin

I'm afraid its alway going to be the cheap option

NORTHERNHIBBY
16-02-2013, 01:25 PM

So if he is already looking at next season that means that what we have now is all we will have for the rest of the current campaign?

Eyrie
16-02-2013, 03:03 PM
So if he is already looking at next season that means that what we have now is all we will have for the rest of the current campaign?

We're past the signing deadline, so yes.

As regards the earlier responses about Maybury, I'm relaxed about him leaving because I'd like us to do better, but I'm relaxed if he stays as depth. My only concern in the latter case is that due to Clancy's injury problems we've had to play him more than I would like.

Anyone know if we have a RB coming through in the youths?

Jones28
16-02-2013, 04:21 PM
Because we have been linked with him on the..."press"...I am 99% hearts are after him too :agree:

monktonharp
16-02-2013, 04:56 PM
Quite right Scoopy, always find it odd how much snobbery there is on .net re papers that folk read. I can understand Scouse's disdain for The Sun though! Doesnae stop me leafing through it, apologies if that hurts the sensibilities of any .net posters! there's snobbery, and there's principles. the sun newspaper= a bunch o' lying, conniving lousebag shower of guttersnipes. I'm in quite a good mood,otherwise I'd be ever so nasty about that rag. read the beano,more factual.

HUTCHYHIBBY
17-02-2013, 02:54 AM
How many teams around the world regularly produce young players good enough for their first team? I doubt its many. When a young guy comes through and does well its brilliant but its hardly front page news if we don't get anyone for a few years. We currently have Paul Hanlon and David Wotherspoon who came through at the club and Griffiths who did actually play for the club when he was younger, not too bad IMO. We're never going to get another Thomson, Brown, Riordan, Whitty, O'Connor etc type ''batch'' again, not for a while at least. The way football works now a days they wouldn't be here long anyway.

Whats the purpose of East Mains then if thats your thinking? It seems to be serving very little purpose so far.

HUTCHYHIBBY
17-02-2013, 02:59 AM
there's snobbery, and there's principles. the sun newspaper= a bunch o' lying, conniving lousebag shower of guttersnipes. I'm in quite a good mood,otherwise I'd be ever so nasty about that rag. read the beano,more factual.

Its light entertainment, dinnae rely on it for factual info tho. What paper do you recommend, just so that I can join in on The Holy Ground etc?

IWasThere2016
17-02-2013, 06:58 AM

Maybury ta-ta

MWHIBBIES
17-02-2013, 07:20 AM
Whats the purpose of East Mains then if thats your thinking? It seems to be serving very little purpose so far.Its a training centre, not an automatic pass to produce young players.

scoopyboy
17-02-2013, 07:33 AM
there's snobbery, and there's principles. the sun newspaper= a bunch o' lying, conniving lousebag shower of guttersnipes. I'm in quite a good mood,otherwise I'd be ever so nasty about that rag. read the beano,more factual.

Agreed, but they have been right about Hibs in the past.

If he signs you would have to say they were right again as I've not seen or heard of it anywhere else?

NORTHERNHIBBY
17-02-2013, 09:09 AM
Thought you were still allowed to sign players that were not attached to other clubs??

Part/Time Supporter
17-02-2013, 09:20 AM
Thought you were still allowed to sign players that were not attached to other clubs??

Aye, but Fenlon said that the budget for this season is used up when it was suggested that Hibs might sign Thomson.

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/article/425/8462541/fenlon-thomsons-a-no-go

bingo70
17-02-2013, 09:21 AM

Is he not still a killie player though?

HUTCHYHIBBY
17-02-2013, 10:59 AM
Its a training centre, not an automatic pass to produce young players.

Its been money well spent then eh?

MWHIBBIES
17-02-2013, 11:23 AM
Its been money well spent then eh?How could I possibly know or being able to judge that?

HUTCHYHIBBY
17-02-2013, 11:40 AM
You're allowed an opinion, as far as I'm concerned we were/are not a rich enough club to have spent such a significant amount of money on such a facility.

vanNISHtelroy
17-02-2013, 11:50 AM
Is he not still a killie player though?

He came on as a sub for Pascali yesterday!

bingo70
17-02-2013, 05:10 PM
He came on as a sub for Pascali yesterday!

Do you think he's a decent player?

vanNISHtelroy
17-02-2013, 05:34 PM
If he left I wouldn't be devastated but I would like him to stay as a squad player/first team player if Sissoko leaves at end of his contract at the end of the season.

Got decent pace to cover for the rest of the team, but injury prone and prone to giving away silly freekicks and penalties. Not that experienced due to his injuries, think hes 25 and still not made 90 appearences.

DaveF
17-02-2013, 07:10 PM
If he left I wouldn't be devastated but I would like him to stay as a squad player/first team player if Sissoko leaves at end of his contract at the end of the season.

Got decent pace to cover for the rest of the team, but injury prone and prone to giving away silly freekicks and penalties. Not that experienced due to his injuries, think hes 25 and still not made 90 appearences.

You mean like the one he gave away when he chopped down Cairney at ER this season and your goalkeeper accused our player of cheating closely backed up by your ******** manager?

Saorsa
17-02-2013, 07:15 PM
You mean like the one he gave away when he chopped down Cairney at ER this season and your goalkeeper accused our player of cheating closely backed up by your ******** manager?Never a penalty eh Kenny? :hilarious ****in' roaster

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b168/jamie1971/A23OzpoCEAA4FGo.jpg

vanNISHtelroy
17-02-2013, 08:02 PM
You mean like the one he gave away when he chopped down Cairney at ER this season and your goalkeeper accused our player of cheating closely backed up by your ******** manager?

I'm afraid I have no recollection of the incident you are talking of and the pic won't show up and I can't see any info about the game :wink:

But yes he has a habit of stupid fouls in and around the box

MWHIBBIES
17-02-2013, 08:49 PM
You're allowed an opinion, as far as I'm concerned we were/are not a rich enough club to have spent such a significant amount of money on such a facility.Imagine if we had spent the money on the pitch, it had failed and all ended in tears? The idea of putting foundations in place is much safer and (IMO anyway) a better way of doing things than blowing a lot of money on the park.

hfc rd
18-02-2013, 10:36 AM
Good player in his day but very injury prone.

HUTCHYHIBBY
18-02-2013, 10:46 AM
Imagine if we had spent the money on the pitch, it had failed and all ended in tears? The idea of putting foundations in place is much safer and (IMO anyway) a better way of doing things than blowing a lot of money on the park.

Imagine spending additional funds on the product that the club exists to provide, outrageous!
We wouldn't have needed to spend it all in one go, we could have spent more money at a sustainable level though. Increasing the size of the stadium when it very rarely sold out doesnae seem to be working either, Scottish football was/is slowly going down the toilet and as far as I'm concerned the huge investment in off field matters was not merited. Maybe next season though eh?

GlenrothesHibee
18-02-2013, 10:55 AM
Imagine spending additional funds on the product that the club exists to provide, outrageous!
We wouldn't have needed to spend it all in one go, we could have spent more money at a sustainable level though. Increasing the size of the stadium when it very rarely sold out doesnae seem to be working either, Scottish football was/is slowly going down the toilet and as far as I'm concerned the huge investment in off field matters was not merited. Maybe next season though eh?

We are set up now for the long term. I can sacrifice that for short term gain on the pitch. Only the Old firm have better facilities than us in Scotland

Heisenberg
18-02-2013, 11:13 AM
He'll be decent back up to Hanlon/Mcpake if he's a centre half. Can't see either of them leaving this summer so I'm assuming that'll be our partnership for next season.

HUTCHYHIBBY
18-02-2013, 11:21 AM
We are set up now for the long term. I can sacrifice that for short term gain on the pitch. Only the Old firm have better facilities than us in Scotland

Scottish football is turning into a backwater, I doubt we'll see any other clubs falling over each other to "invest" such vast sums in their infrastructure.

Lucius Apuleius
18-02-2013, 11:57 AM
Scottish football is turning into a backwater, I doubt we'll see any other clubs falling over each other to "invest" such vast sums in their infrastructure.

All the more reason why we will benefit in the long run IMO.

HUTCHYHIBBY
18-02-2013, 12:06 PM
Why? 'cos what little money teams now have they tend to invest on the product on the pitch? That will benefit us a lot.

Lucius Apuleius
18-02-2013, 12:11 PM
Shouldn't mix statements with sarcasm mate, nobody knows which is which.

Now we have the infrastructure in place we should have more money to spend on players, if people turn up and put their money into Hibs

HUTCHYHIBBY
18-02-2013, 12:22 PM
Nae sarcasm intended. I suppose we'll just have to wait and see, though it would appear judging by dwindling numbers @ ER that peoples patience doesnae last forever.

Lucius Apuleius
18-02-2013, 12:57 PM
Why? 'cos what little money teams now have they tend to invest on the product on the pitch? That will benefit us a lot.

That is not sarcasm? In that case I apologize as you obviously agree with me.

Nae sarcasm intended. I suppose we'll just have to wait and see, though it would appear judging by dwindling numbers @ ER that peoples patience doesnae last forever.

And that is their choice Hutchy. Nobody can force people to go back but by 'eck they will sure be on here moaning about the standard of players we have bought with the money we do have.

HUTCHYHIBBY
18-02-2013, 01:53 PM
That is not sarcasm? In that case I apologize as you obviously agree with me.

Lol! Oops, my mistake! :-)

MWHIBBIES
18-02-2013, 02:07 PM
We wouldn't have needed to spend it all in one go, we could have spent more money at a sustainable level though. Increasing the size of the stadium when it very rarely sold out doesnae seem to be working either, Scottish football was/is slowly going down the toilet and as far as I'm concerned the huge investment in off field matters was not merited. Maybe next season though eh?Imagine spending money wisely to secure the clubs future and lay the foundations for progress instead of risking the money in the hands of managers like Mixu, Hughes and Calderwood, equally outrageous it must be said. Its hardly as if those managers had pennies to spent either, it isn't the boards fault that ***** players were purchased.

HUTCHYHIBBY
18-02-2013, 02:25 PM
Providing managers appointed by the club with funds to spend on the team isnae outrageous at all, perhaps they just employed the wrong managers.

The board are doing a good job of turning fans into accountants, purely existing as a football club isnae going to bring the crowds flooding back.

Unless there is some huge upturn in the fortunes of Scottish football on the horizon the outlay on infrastructure to the detriment of the product on the park has been massively out of kilter.

Hopefully it all works out fine in the end, just hope its in time for us to witness.

Danderhall Hibs
18-02-2013, 02:32 PM
Providing managers appointed by the club with funds to spend on the team isnae outrageous at all, perhaps they just employed the wrong managers.

The board are doing a good job of turning fans into accountants, purely existing as a football club isnae going to bring the crowds flooding back.

Unless there is some huge upturn in the fortunes of Scottish football on the horizon the outlay on infrastructure to the detriment of the product on the park has been massively out of kilter.

Hopefully it all works out fine in the end, just hope its in time for us to witness.

:agree: Just look at the excitement caused by us appointing a non-exec director the other day.

Saorsa
22-02-2013, 11:33 AM
:greengrin

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/top-football-stories/pat-fenlon-says-hibs-may-make-irish-signings-1-2805272

Keith_M
22-02-2013, 12:38 PM
:greengrin

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/top-football-stories/pat-fenlon-says-hibs-may-make-irish-signings-1-2805272

...and in other breaking news...

Germany MAY have lost WWII

The next Pope MAY be a Catholic

Sevco fans MAY be ugly, disgusting, bigotted, vile excuses for Human beings.

Diclonius
23-02-2013, 02:20 AM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21550717

Looks like a quote straight out of Football Manager.

vanNISHtelroy
23-02-2013, 04:42 PM
Played today and was pretty poor. Kept giving the ball away and being caught out of position (although this wasn't helped by Tess pushing too far up the pitch). Made a goal saving block on the line but could have cost us it when he gave away a stupid freekick on edge of the box in stoppage time.