PDA

View Full Version : Letter to the board

Pages : 1 [2]

blackpoolhibs
19-02-2013, 10:38 AM
Pressure? As in pressure for the board to deliver a product that people enjoy in conjunction with a competitive team? We have not had both for a very long time. Mowbray's team were the last to achieve this, and the record crowds reflected this.

I've only been to the new year derby this season despite having gone halfers with a mate last season on renewing so as to get a cup final ticket. Our season ticket goes unused most weeks as we don't have much interest in going and can't give it away. If we were set up to try and win games rather than simply not to lose our season ticket might have had more use.

Well done to you, your support will not have gone unnoticed. You cant be bothered getting yer erse down to easter road, but you can be bothered moaning about how crap we are on here. I hop
e we get to another cup final just so the club can fleece more folk like you again.

The Modfather
19-02-2013, 10:53 AM
Well done to you, your support will not have gone unnoticed. You cant be bothered getting yer erse down to easter road, but you can be bothered moaning about how crap we are on here. I hop
e we get to another cup final just so the club can fleece more folk like you again.

You're looking for a bite I know, but if you're not interested in a composed explanation as to why I've stopped attending probably best just to skip my posts on this thread. :agree:

blackpoolhibs
19-02-2013, 11:03 AM
Blackpool, were you living in a cave during the Mowbray years? Most of your posts have this recurring theme - "the flair football we all seem to crave, but few have ever seen". We had that only 5 years ago, although I accept it's seems like an eternity given what we've had since. It's not a coincidence that 5 years ago we had record crowds and merchandising etc, at the same time as we had a homegrown team trying to play football "the Hibs way" as you like to refer to.

I have a certain amount of sympathy for Fenlon, while I'm not 100% convinced by him just yet, he isn't the reason we've had to endure the last 5 or so years. My patience with Hibs and our, seemingly, never ending transition has worn out. Fenlon may be doing exactly what's needed in making us hard to watch, but also hard to beat. However, while we patiently waited to come out of the transitional period the stronger for it, we got worse and worse. I no longer have the same blind loyalty I used to have. I now, consciously or not, see Hibs as a business, and as such I'll act as a customer. Hibs had my money, and more importanlty time up front for a long time, with the promise of what was to come. The promise never materialised, so now I will evaluate what is on offer for that price and decide if it is value or entertainment.

While it is leaning towards a different topic, and a whole different argument. If Petrie was to go I may feel differently, and genuinely see it as a new dawn and buy in from the start once again.

I have been watching Hibs since the middle 60s, i can count on all my fingers the amount of times we have give us seasons like Mowbray's years?

So now we have an element of support who will not come back until the football is very good, sod supporting the team on its quest to get there. Even when they are showing ver good signs, competing again with all the clubs that were pumping us.

No this is not enough now, we must be playing attractive free flowing football before people like you will honour us with your presence.

We'll support you ever more, just as long as we are brilliant, sod supporting them on the way up though, what's the point?

Ray_
19-02-2013, 11:49 AM
I have been watching Hibs since the middle 60s, i can count on all my fingers the amount of times we have give us seasons like Mowbray's years?

So now we have an element of support who will not come back until the football is very good, sod supporting the team on its quest to get there. Even when they are showing ver good signs, competing again with all the clubs that were pumping us.

No this is not enough now, we must be playing attractive free flowing football before people like you will honour us with your presence.

We'll support you ever more, just as long as we are brilliant, sod supporting them on the way up though, what's the point?

That element of support your talking about includes others that have been watching since the mid-sixties and beyond. You said yourself, the lack of free flowing football during that time. That kind of screws up your argument about people only going to see free flowing football, if it was just that, why has it taken until now for them to stop going?

Nobody wants or needs your approval on deciding what they want to do. Your use of the smiley's and remarks about idiots and "we'll support you ever more" makes your behaviour seem far more like a spoilt petulant child rather than a middle aged man, who's view is to be respected.

blackpoolhibs
19-02-2013, 12:06 PM
That element of support your talking about includes others that have been watching since the mid-sixties and beyond. You said yourself, the lack of free flowing football during that time. That kind of screws up your argument about people only going to see free flowing football, if it was just that, why has it taken until now for them to stop going?

Nobody wants or needs your approval on deciding what they want to do. Your use of the smiley's and remarks about idiots and "we'll support you ever more" makes your behaviour seem far more like a spoilt petulant child rather than a middle aged man, who's view is to be respected.

I'm not here to be respected, I'm here to give my opinion on the team i go to support. Whereas those who've stopped going to watch are only on here to moan like fu+ +?

Ray_
19-02-2013, 01:12 PM
I'm not here to be respected, I'm here to give my opinion on the team i go to support. Whereas those who've stopped going to watch are only on here to moan like fu+ +?

If you only gave your opinion of the team then that would be fine, nobody would be on your case, but no, as well as that you give your opinion on everybody else who doesn't feel the same as you, with childlike sarcastic undertones, smiley's and insults.

Because you stop going to watch means the only threads you contribute to are ones slagging the club! you don't half make assumptions and when they are shown to be pathetic, you ignore it and move on to another self righteous statement.

Although I no longer go to watch, I still make a considerable financial contribution to Hibs every season and I'm sure there are plenty others on here like that. I would say that my contribution to Hibs [and others who are the same] is worth a whole lot more to the club than your worthless opinion of us on here.

blackpoolhibs
19-02-2013, 02:00 PM
If you only gave your opinion of the team then that would be fine, nobody would be on your case, but no, as well as that you give your opinion on everybody else who doesn't feel the same as you, with childlike sarcastic undertones, smiley's and insults.

Because you stop going to watch means the only threads you contribute to are ones slagging the club! you don't half make assumptions and when they are shown to be pathetic, you ignore it and move on to another self righteous statement.

Although I no longer go to watch, I still make a considerable financial contribution to Hibs every season and I'm sure there are plenty others on here like that. I would say that my contribution to Hibs [and others who are the same] is worth a whole lot more to the club than your worthless opinion of us on here.

Aye right, when I asked where your posts were on the St Mirren threads you told me you don't post on these types of threads, I know that you just post on the threads having a pop at all things Hibs. And you justify it because you used to go and you still buy the odd bit of merchandise. FFS I was called king of the doom and gloom, at least when I had a moan we had something to moan about other than the past something none of us can do anything about.

Ray_
19-02-2013, 03:22 PM
Aye right, when I asked where your posts were on the St Morten threads you told me you don't post on these types of threads, I know that you just post on the threads having a pop at all things Hibs. And you justify it because you used to go and you still buy the odd bit of merchandise. FFS I was called king of the doom and gloom, at least when I had a moan we had something to moan about other than the past something none of us can do anything about.

It could be that you have very narrow vision if all you find on here is threads having a go at Hibs and match threads [although they could very often be termed as having a go at Hibs threads]. The real reason is that you will come out with any amount of bull to try and justify your daft ramblings.

I have two teen sons and my odd bit of merchandise would cost more than your season ticket.

You had something to moan about, yes, when in your opinion, the standard wasn't good enough & now when others feel the same, added to views about the running the club, in your opinion, they are wrong & that is when you revert to playground antics like the name calling, sarcastic remarks and smileys.

blackpoolhibs
19-02-2013, 03:29 PM
It could be that you have very narrow vision if all you find on here is threads having a go at Hibs and match threads [although they could very often be termed as having a go at Hibs threads]. The real reason is that you will come out with any amount of bull to try and justify your daft ramblings.

I have two teen sons and my odd bit of merchandise would cost more than your season ticket.

You had something to moan about, yes, when in your opinion, the standard wasn't good enough & now when others feel the same, added to views about the running the club, in your opinion, they are wrong & that is when you revert to playground antics like the name calling, sarcastic remarks and smileys.

I have a son and daughter, and 2 season tickets. Both kids live in St Albans not that far from where you reside. They buy merchancise, and go to games maybe 6 a season, both are very happy with the way things are going now. I suppose when they have done the required years service, they too can slaughter the club and all its past when they have had enough too. :confused:

Ray_
19-02-2013, 03:56 PM
I have a son and daughter, and 2 season tickets. Both kids live in St Albans not that far from where you reside. They buy merchancise, and go to games maybe 6 a season, both are very happy with the way things are going now. I suppose when they have done the required years service, they too can slaughter the club and all its past when they have had enough too. :confused:

Gary I'm not forever slaughtering the club, I react to people who have a go at others who don't fancy it at the moment, it is their choice, if they, like me, doesn't think the effort is worth it, then it should be fair enough, not people digging them out, if anything, that will put people more off returning, which is more harmful for the club.

As far as getting to Scotland is concerned, ST Albans is a different world. The donkey years I lived in London, it was far easier to get to Edinburgh than it is from here. Depending on connections, it can take 2-3 hours just getting to Kings Cross and on a departing train to Edinburgh & the return train leaves you stranded in London, so its a two day trip. If you fly, you can't get a flight back after the game, therefore again it is a two day trip. The mileage to drive is over 900 return, so that makes it a two day trip as well.

cocopops1875
19-02-2013, 04:13 PM
And i thought this thread had nothing to offer after page 4 :greengrin

M6hibee
19-02-2013, 05:11 PM
Ach I can see validity in both arguments tae be honest. All I will say is that I buy merchandise and a season ticket and decided on buying a famous five retro top fae the club store rather than a present fae the wife last Monday. Noo that's dedication

Mikey
19-02-2013, 05:12 PM
And i thought this thread had nothing to offer after page 4 :greengrin

Post 4 :wink:

cocopops1875
19-02-2013, 05:23 PM
Post 4 :wink:

Post 9 :wink: :devil:

Captain Trips
20-02-2013, 09:24 AM
What we have done in past for me is irrelevant, yes we have had seasons throughout time were we did not a lot and the good seasons are probably outweighed by bad. Well for me that doesnt mean from now that needs to be case, Hibs have put enough time and money into ensuring we have some advantages over most clubs now.

Will Man City except 4th or 5th now simply because during 60s,70s,80s,90s and 00s they were average at best? So why shoould we? Not saying we are Man City but im sick of "we have always been average" so thats what we should expect. Man City's goal posts have moved and so have ours I believe we should be above 8 or 9 teams if everyone is doing their job.

IMO we should be better than average we have the things in place and if we are not reaching that people at club are causing it. A 10th and an 11th place should have cost more than 1 manager thats for sure.

ancient hibee
20-02-2013, 04:33 PM
It is comparing the present with a non existent past that causes so much dissatisfaction.

Golden Bear
20-02-2013, 04:42 PM
It is comparing the present with a non existent past that causes so much dissatisfaction.

Yes it always causes controversy when you try to compare a non existent present with a non existent past.

ancient hibee
20-02-2013, 05:34 PM
Yes it always causes controversy when you try to compare a non existent present with a non existent past.

Very Zenlike,Grasshopper.

Borderhibbie76
20-02-2013, 05:38 PM
I think some on here are guilty of viewing the mowbray years thru rose tinted specs...i cab remember dire displays and defeats to likes of falkirk, st mirren et all not to mention a wonderful array of goalkeeping howlers vs Them!! Yeah there were good times too but we were just as inconsistent back then folks...

Ray_
20-02-2013, 07:55 PM
I think some on here are guilty of viewing the mowbray years thru rose tinted specs...i cab remember dire displays and defeats to likes of falkirk, st mirren et all not to mention a wonderful array of goalkeeping howlers vs Them!! Yeah there were good times too but we were just as inconsistent back then folks...

Yes to all of that, but we had wonderful entertainment as well & crowds to match.

ronaldo7
20-02-2013, 08:19 PM

Or travelling to Dnipro with 999 other Hibbies to get thumped, whilst applauding Mowbray at the end of the game. It's what we do, we're Hibbies, we support the team right.

Another European jaunt on the way:flag:

mjhibby
21-02-2013, 09:22 AM
[QUOTE=ancient hibee;3509738]Many managers won't let anyone from the board into the dressing room after the game never mind before and quite right too.Fine sentiments but not the right time.

I try not to say that I've been watching Hibs probably longer than anyone on here-but I will 'cos I have and I have to tell some of you young uns that periods of "flair football"have been few and far between.There have been times of great excitement and times of dreadful mediocrity often in the same week.When Baker played we had one of our worst ever defences and particularly when Johnstone left Joe's goals came not from flair but from his bravery and speed in chasing down clearances-I believe it's called hoofball now.When the tornadoes were at their peak we didn't win as much as we should have because we folded in big games-what that defence would have given for a Rob Jones or a James McPake who would have launched the ball into row ZZ instead of trying to play football.We enjoyed Mowbray's team because of the number of youngsters playing but again they were too soft and inexperienced when it mattered most.Only 2 teams have won more games than us this season but only 2 teams have lost more.This shows that we are a work in progress and it's noticeable that a number of the games we've lost like Aberdeen and Motherwell were as a result of trying to keep the game open.There are only two certainties in football -one is that if you don't lose a goal you won't lose the game and the other is that if you don't score a goal you won't win the game.But there's a third angle which is that you can score as many goals as you like but it doesn't mean you will win the game.I think Fenlon takes this view and will continue to play it tight for the rest of the season.Every game 1-0 with penalties will do fine for me.

Right now the priority is surely making the top six and as its so tight a couple of 1-0s and a couple of draws will probably get us there.We might even be lucky and celtic might have won the league by the time we play them.The home games against inverness,Hertz and killie are key and two wins and a draw will do us nicely.If we finish 6th it will be a big move forward from the last two seasons and will ensure we get near break even for the season.I know its not great football but who is playing great right now. Utd have russell and mckaystevens but not much else and well seem to have a good team spirit but everybody else is as inconsistent as us.just remembered we binned mixu for finishing 6th and that in hindsight seemed a pretty poor decision did it not.
As has been said we are a work in progress and with craig coming on board and no doubt a few changes during the summer we are still better off than we have been for a few seasons.

Stevie Reid
21-02-2013, 10:24 AM

Which non existent present is this?

Ray_
21-02-2013, 10:29 AM
[QUOTE=ancient hibee;3509738]Many managers won't let anyone from the board into the dressing room after the game never mind before and quite right too.Fine sentiments but not the right time.

I try not to say that I've been watching Hibs probably longer than anyone on here-but I will 'cos I have and I have to tell some of you young uns that periods of "flair football"have been few and far between.There have been times of great excitement and times of dreadful mediocrity often in the same week.When Baker played we had one of our worst ever defences and particularly when Johnstone left Joe's goals came not from flair but from his bravery and speed in chasing down clearances-I believe it's called hoofball now.When the tornadoes were at their peak we didn't win as much as we should have because we folded in big games-what that defence would have given for a Rob Jones or a James McPake who would have launched the ball into row ZZ instead of trying to play football.We enjoyed Mowbray's team because of the number of youngsters playing but again they were too soft and inexperienced when it mattered most.Only 2 teams have won more games than us this season but only 2 teams have lost more.This shows that we are a work in progress and it's noticeable that a number of the games we've lost like Aberdeen and Motherwell were as a result of trying to keep the game open.There are only two certainties in football -one is that if you don't lose a goal you won't lose the game and the other is that if you don't score a goal you won't win the game.But there's a third angle which is that you can score as many goals as you like but it doesn't mean you will win the game.I think Fenlon takes this view and will continue to play it tight for the rest of the season.Every game 1-0 with penalties will do fine for me.

Right now the priority is surely making the top six and as its so tight a couple of 1-0s and a couple of draws will probably get us there.We might even be lucky and celtic might have won the league by the time we play them.The home games against inverness,Hertz and killie are key and two wins and a draw will do us nicely.If we finish 6th it will be a big move forward from the last two seasons and will ensure we get near break even for the season.I know its not great football but who is playing great right now. Utd have russell and mckaystevens but not much else and well seem to have a good team spirit but everybody else is as inconsistent as us.just remembered we binned mixu for finishing 6th and that in hindsight seemed a pretty poor decision did it not.
As has been said we are a work in progress and with craig coming on board and no doubt a few changes during the summer we are still better off than we have been for a few seasons.

If we are talking about being in a relegation fight then yes be are better off than last season, however, as for being better than the last few seasons, sorry I can’t see that with any certainty.

If we had a number of outstanding youngsters on long term contracts and they were given the opportunity, then yes I would say that we were better. At the moment we have the nucleus of a squad who are on loan or on short term contracts & we need players to come in to improve the quality of squad.

This is the position we have been in since John Collins reign, we need a manager to find the right players and contracts signed that will encourage continuity. I sincerely hope we have that manager in Pat Fenlan, but it still remains to be seen and it’s only the future that’ll give us that answer.

Andy74
21-02-2013, 12:32 PM
Which non existent present is this?

Is the amount of non existent presents not both limitless and non existent?

Stevie Reid
21-02-2013, 12:36 PM
Many on here wanted Yogi sacked after our mid February to end of season collapse in 2010, and some wanted Fenlon sacked after the 5-1 SC Final defeat to Hearts. The idea of sacking Mowbray at the end of his second season in charge would (rightly) have seemed preposterous, but here are some interesting things about that season: -

- We won 11 of our first 16 SPL games, from that spell we took 34 points from a possible 48

- Out of our remaining 22 games, we lost 12, drew 4 and won only 6 (we actually won only 2 of our remaining 10 SPL fixtures, losing 6), meaning that we took only 22 points from a possible 66

- We finished 4th in the SPL thanks to our excellent start (sound familiar), 35 points behind champions Celtic, 18 points behind Hearts in 2nd, and 16 points behind Rangers in 3rd.

- Kilmarnock finished in 5th and Aberdeen in 6th, 1 and 2 points behind us, respectively. Inverness actually finished with 2 points more than us in 7th place.

- We lost 7 home games (Celtic twice, Rangers, Inverness twice, Falkirk and Aberdeen). Inverness took 9 points out of 9 against us.

- Only four teams lost more games than we did (16).

- We lost the SC Semi Final 4-0 to Hearts

Stevie Reid
21-02-2013, 12:39 PM
Is the amount of non existent presents not both limitless and non existent?

I'm past caring.

Beefster
21-02-2013, 12:55 PM
- We lost the SC Final 4-0 to Hearts

I'm fairly sure we didn't!

Stevie Reid
21-02-2013, 12:58 PM
I'm fairly sure we didn't!

Bah! Damn you Beeftser! *shakes fist at screen*

(I shall edit)

The Modfather
21-02-2013, 02:01 PM
Many on here wanted Yogi sacked after our mid February to end of season collapse in 2010, and some wanted Fenlon sacked after the 5-1 SC Final defeat to Hearts. The idea of sacking Mowbray at the end of his second season in charge would (rightly) have seemed preposterous, but here are some interesting things about that season: -

- We won 11 of our first 16 SPL games, from that spell we took 34 points from a possible 48

- Out of our remaining 22 games, we lost 12, drew 4 and won only 6 (we actually won only 2 of our remaining 10 SPL fixtures, losing 6), meaning that we took only 22 points from a possible 66

- We finished 4th in the SPL thanks to our excellent start (sound familiar), 35 points behind champions Celtic, 18 points behind Hearts in 2nd, and 16 points behind Rangers in 3rd.

- Kilmarnock finished in 5th and Aberdeen in 6th, 1 and 2 points behind us, respectively. Inverness actually finished with 2 points more than us in 7th place.

- We lost 7 home games (Celtic twice, Rangers, Inverness twice, Falkirk and Aberdeen). Inverness took 9 points out of 9 against us.

- Only four teams lost more games than we did (16).

- We lost the SC Semi Final 4-0 to Hearts

We were inconsistant and raw under Mowbray, and extremely frustrating at times, but we were exciting to watch. You knew what the club was about and the direction it was going - heavily utilising the youth academy, trying to play the ball on the ground, and attacking teams. Yes we were flawed, and the defence wasn't great at times but as many on here say, unfortunately we don't have the resources to ever be the finished article.

The last 5 years or so, IMO, we've not had any direction or ethos. The youth system appears to have been badly neglected, and the training centre massively under utilised. We stood by the club when they needed us (SUABC campaign) and returned in record numbers when we had something to get behind. Fenlon may well be doing exactly what is needed, and his predecessors made far worse rather than fix, in overhauling the squad/culture and firstly making us hard to beat.

I have my reservations about Fenlon, but I feel sorry for him as he isn't the reason we are where we are/were in such a mess. We've had such a large turnover of playing staff and non playing staff, but Petrie remains. Consistantly, so it seems, never accountable for anything.

While I still care, sadly I've drifted away. I no longer feel duty bound, or guilty for not attending no matter the pleas from Petrie. I've invested a lot of money, and more importantly time, into Hibs only to see no return and then the same pleas. I don't make any demands, or unduly cmplain about things on here, but when the club give a little (youth, passing and movement, NOT necessarily results or league places) i'll reciprocate, they give a little more, I'll do likewise etc etc. Alternatively Petrie could step down and it may feel like a genuine new dawn and some like me might buy in from the start again.

Stevie Reid
21-02-2013, 02:51 PM
We were inconsistant and raw under Mowbray, and extremely frustrating at times, but we were exciting to watch. You knew what the club was about and the direction it was going - heavily utilising the youth academy, trying to play the ball on the ground, and attacking teams. Yes we were flawed, and the defence wasn't great at times but as many on here say, unfortunately we don't have the resources to ever be the finished article.

The last 5 years or so, IMO, we've not had any direction or ethos. The youth system appears to have been badly neglected, and the training centre massively under utilised. We stood by the club when they needed us (SUABC campaign) and returned in record numbers when we had something to get behind. Fenlon may well be doing exactly what is needed, and his predecessors made far worse rather than fix, in overhauling the squad/culture and firstly making us hard to beat.

I have my reservations about Fenlon, but I feel sorry for him as he isn't the reason we are where we are/were in such a mess. We've had such a large turnover of playing staff and non playing staff, but Petrie remains. Consistantly, so it seems, never accountable for anything.

While I still care, sadly I've drifted away. I no longer feel duty bound, or guilty for not attending no matter the pleas from Petrie. I've invested a lot of money, and more importantly time, into Hibs only to see no return and then the same pleas. I don't make any demands, or unduly cmplain about things on here, but when the club give a little (youth, passing and movement, NOT necessarily results or league places) i'll reciprocate, they give a little more, I'll do likewise etc etc. Alternatively Petrie could step down and it may feel like a genuine new dawn and some like me might buy in from the start again.

The time to make the serious appraisal of Fenlon is at the end of the season, the league is extremely tight and 2nd place and bottom 6 both remain distinct possibilities depending on the remaining games. At this moment in time we are hugely better than last season and the most improved team in the SPL by quite a distance. Some of that has been down to some lovely football, and some down to very stuffy, defensive and unimaginative formations - loads of folk seem happy to focus on the latter and completely forget the way we played earlier on in the season, which irks me greatly.

The majority of match day experiences I've had at ER this year have been the best for a few seasons, and the wins over Aberdeen and Hearts in the cup, and Celtic in the league would have been savoured in any season, never mind coming after how bad we have been in the last two.

Many people somehow seem to think that we haven't improved enough, which I just don't get. If we improve as much again next season as we have in this, we'll be in a great position.

matty_f
21-02-2013, 04:40 PM
Good post Stevie. :agree: