PDA

View Full Version : NHC Not sure I can blame the chairman for this!

vanNISHtelroy
13-02-2013, 06:56 AM
Cammy Bell has signed a precontract with Rangers...£8k a week to play in division 2 ffs!

MJ definitely couldn't have offered him that. Apparently Cammy's mind was made up when Strachan said he would consider Rangers players which was the main concern he had about going there. He'll be a legend for the performance at Hampden but if we had a decent back-up I would have him sitting on the bench for the under 20s.

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/leaguedivision3/4792339/Gers-gonna-be-saved-by-the-bell.html

CAMMY BELL has clinched a four-year deal with Rangers.The Kilmarnock keeper has signed a pre- contract and will join Gers on September 1.
As SunSport revealed on Monday the 26-year-old has snubbed the offer of a five-year deal at Rugby Park and will move when Rangers’ transfer embargo is lifted.
Bell’s Gers deal is worth around £8,000-a-week, and Ibrox boss Ally McCoist said: “Cammy fits the bill in terms of his ability and his availability in terms of being out of contract in the summer.”
SunSport understands Bell will remain 100 per cent committed to Killie until his contract expires.
But his switch to Ibrox casts doubt on Neil Alexander’s future at the club.
The Gers No1 is out of contract at the end of the season and remains locked in talks over a new deal.
Alexander is unlikely to settle for a seat back on the bench.
McCoist, above, added: “We would like to keep Neil because I want to have two strong keepers. It would also give me the opportunity to send Scott

3pm
13-02-2013, 07:05 AM
Deary me.

Hainan Hibs
13-02-2013, 07:16 AM
Words fail me, after everything "Rangers" went through "The Rangers" are throwing 8k a week at Cammy Bell?

I don't know why they just didnt sign up 1st/2nd division players who would've won the 3rd division at a canter at a minute % of the cost it is currently costing them.

Pretty Boy
13-02-2013, 07:42 AM
Another player with **** all in the way of ambition.

Surely he's at the age where he should be desperate to go test himself down in the Championship.

Fud.

danhibees1875
13-02-2013, 07:44 AM
words fail me, after everytjing "Rangers" went through "The Rangers" are throwing 8k a week at Cammy Bell?

I dont know why they just didnt sign up 1sr/2nd division players who wouldve won the 3rd division at a canter at a minute % of the cost it is currently costing them.

Spl calibre players obviously ensure they can go all the way in the cup competitions....

Good players spending the peak of their careers in thelower divisions of Scotland not realising that they'll be tossed into the reserves/out when the rangers do eventually darken the spl in a couple years. Shame.

down-the-slope
13-02-2013, 07:57 AM
Murray Davidson...you know the guy who ran midfield against us on Monday....OOC in summer and sources quoted as him heading for Championship or The Rangers :rolleyes:

marinello59
13-02-2013, 08:07 AM
Basically their signing ban has made no difference at all as they can afford to make it worth a players time to wait for a couple of months before signing.

VickMackie
13-02-2013, 08:11 AM
Give me three or four times my current wage and ill go and work in an Indian sweat shop and think about my career later.

VickMackie
13-02-2013, 08:12 AM
Also, he's likely to win more in those years at rangers than playing for a championship team.

Matty_Jack04
13-02-2013, 08:23 AM
Spl calibre players obviously ensure they can go all the way in the cup competitions....

Good players spending the peak of their careers in thelower divisions of Scotland not realising that they'll be tossed into the reserves/out when the rangers do eventually darken the spl in a couple years. Shame.

It took them 30mins to get anywhere near up to speed with DUFC the other week in the cup.

i agree with pretty boy the ambition to perform at the highest level possible should out way anything else when you're a professional sportsman, the likes of Wallace templeton and bell should have been looking to go down south not playing against painters and plumbers cause the money is better AND for the lack of ambition alone shouldn't be considered for the national team before the standard there playing at even comes into consideration

Thecat23
13-02-2013, 08:40 AM
I don't see the problem with someone earning 4 to 5 times more than they earn now. I'm a Hibs supporter and If I played for Hibs and got offered £10k a week rather than £2 max I'd be off In a heartbeat. Secure my future and a better life with the family. It's the same in any job. If someone offers much more money to do the same job why not take it? Football is a very short career and players should make as much as they can because after it you could be left with nothing.

JimBHibees
13-02-2013, 08:44 AM

Surely he's at the age where he should be desperate to go test himself down in the Championship.

Fud.

Completely agree.

Peevemor
13-02-2013, 09:02 AM
i don't see the problem with someone earning 4 to 5 times more than they earn now. I'm a hibs supporter and if i played for hibs and got offered £10k a week rather than £2 max i'd be off in a heartbeat. Secure my future and a better life with the family. It's the same in any job. If someone offers much more money to do the same job why not take it? Football is a very short career and players should make as much as they can because after it you could be left with nothing.

peeetttrrriieeeeeeeee!

Scouse Hibee
13-02-2013, 09:03 AM
I don't see the problem with someone earning 4 to 5 times more than they earn now. I'm a Hibs supporter and If I played for Hibs and got offered £10k a week rather than £2 max I'd be off In a heartbeat. Secure my future and a better life with the family. It's the same in any job. If someone offers much more money to do the same job why not take it? Football is a very short career and players should make as much as they can because after it you could be left with nothing.

Exactly, always amazes me when folk slag of footballers for doing this yet would jump at the same opportunity if given to them in their own life.

Thecat23
13-02-2013, 09:04 AM
peeetttrrriieeeeeeeee!

haha that was meant to say £2k max!!!

Thecat23
13-02-2013, 09:06 AM
Exactly, always amazes me when folk slag of footballers for doing this yet would jump at the same opportunity if given to them in their own life.

Exactly mate. I think people get to caught up in the whole loyalty thing and think it's terrible players leave their club. End of the day they are only securing a better future. Nothing at all wrong with it.

Sylar
13-02-2013, 09:13 AM
Don't blame him in the slightest - the money is far superior to what he'll be on at Killie, he'll be back in the SPL in 2 years (unless reconstruction happens which alters the time-frame somewhat) and gets to play some new teams/add guaranteed silverware (2nd/1st divisions) to his own CV.

What team does Bell support? I ask because a lot of the previous players who have gone from Ayrshire to Govan have certainly been of the right persuasion.

ronaldo7
13-02-2013, 09:15 AM
It took them 30mins to get anywhere near up to speed with DUFC the other week in the cup.

i agree with pretty boy the ambition to perform at the highest level possible should out way anything else when you're a professional sportsman, the likes of Wallace templeton and bell should have been looking to go down south not playing against painters and plumbers cause the money is better AND for the lack of ambition alone shouldn't be considered for the national team before the standard there playing at even comes into consideration

Some of sevco's finest are Painters:wink:

Pretty Boy
13-02-2013, 09:22 AM

Its not slagging players for leaving their current club for more money, good luck to them.

However a goalkeeper of Cammy Bells quality could easily have held out for a club in the Championship or top half league one. Still making more money and, certainly playing in tje Championship, a better standard.

Are people seriously suggesting having a 1st and 2nd division medal for a team paying 30x what their competitors are is some kind of acheivement? Then what? Back to the SPL. How does that help Bell improve as a goalkeeper?

Scouse Hibee
13-02-2013, 09:26 AM
Its not slagging players for leaving their current club for more money, good luck to them.

However a goalkeeper of Cammy Bells quality could easily have held out for a club in the Championship or top half league one. Still making more money and, certainly playing in tje Championship, a better standard.

Are people seriously suggesting having a 1st and 2nd division medal for a team paying 30x what their competitors are is some kind of acheivement? Then what? Back to the SPL. How does that help Bell improve as a goalkeeper?

Medals don't pay the bills or secure your future, maybe he wants to stay in Scotland for whatever reason.

IWasThere2016
13-02-2013, 10:04 AM
Medals don't pay the bills or secure your future, maybe he wants to stay in Scotland for whatever reason.

Nor do state of the art training facilities .. wages are the be all and end all for players UNLESS they have already earned enough to do them.

GreenCastle
13-02-2013, 10:06 AM
When does the transfer ban end ?

Sylar
13-02-2013, 10:16 AM

End of this season is it not?

marinello59
13-02-2013, 10:17 AM

At the end of the Summer transfer window.

Thecat23
13-02-2013, 10:18 AM

September I think.

hfc rd
13-02-2013, 10:34 AM
Deary me!! A massive backwards step in his career.

lucky
13-02-2013, 10:43 AM
I can't understand why anyone on here thinks a professional footballer is going to give up £1.6m to stay with Kilmarnock on £1000 a week. For me its an easy decision for Bell to make

Pretty Boy
13-02-2013, 10:48 AM
I can't understand why anyone on here thinks a professional footballer is going to give up £1.6m to stay with Kilmarnock on £1000 a week. For me its an easy decision for Bell to make

How many people have suggested he should stay at Killie? I cant see anyone saying that on this thread.

JimBHibees
13-02-2013, 10:53 AM

I dont think anyone is questioning the deal on a personal financial level more on a football ambition level. He will be playing 2 years in div 2 and div 1 of Scottish football which to me isnt going to improve him as a player whereby he may have gone down south and played at a much better level and improved as a player possibly forcing himself into the Scotland team or got a move to a Premier club sort of thing. If that didnt work then he could have come back up the road. Seems staggeringly lacking in ambition. No doubt some wag nipping his ear and influencing his decision.

The_Sauz
13-02-2013, 11:28 AM
I hate when players & people say things like that (no offence), but if a player has half a brain and an education, then he could find another job when he retires from pro football. What the problem working as sports teacher or a sales rep? Any full-time job does not mean he has to stop playing the game (play part time or Junior football)! They could even going into coaching/management and still have a better life than most!

Fans and the general public should stop feeling sorry for pro players when they and their agents come out with this crap all the time when they want to sign a new contract or even move to a another team! This is one off many things that is wrong with football today.......GREED!

Scouse Hibee
13-02-2013, 11:53 AM
I hate when players & people say things like that (no offence), but if a player has half a brain and an education, then he could find another job when he retires from pro football. What the problem working as sports teacher or a sales rep? Any full-time job does not mean he has to stop playing the game (play part time or Junior football)! They could even going into coaching/management and still have a better life than most!

Fans and the general public should stop feeling sorry for pro players when they and their agents come out with this crap all the time when they want to sign a new contract or even move to a another team! This is one off many things that is wrong with football today.......GREED!

I think what most people mean is the window for earning the silly money that professional footballers earn is relatively short in comparison.It makes sense to make the most of that window of opportunity before you have to move into "normal" employment. I don't think that anyone is suggesting that ex footballers can no longer earn. (Substitute the word earn for anyword you think is relevant:greengrin

Pretty Boy
13-02-2013, 11:53 AM

Exactly. The whole short career crap doesnt wash with me. Guys in the army have a relatively short career at a fraction of the wage and have to find alternative emoloyment and retraining in their 30s.

Even in the 'pittance' of a grand a week in the SPL, anyone with half a brain should be able to have a nest egg for retirement and money to go on and get qualified to do something else.

The_Exile
13-02-2013, 11:56 AM
It's always disappointing to see this kind of thing, but we need to be realistic here, and football fans are notoriously fickle. If I'm playing for Hibs, earning 1/2k a week, and The Rangers come in and offer me £8k a week, I genuinely think I'd join them.

By joining Rangers it doesnt make you a bad human being, it means your financial future is safe, your kids don't have to move schools and into a strange place etc. It's a tough one as there's a real internal, primal even, loyalty to the club you love, but your family's future and wellbeing comes light years ahead of any club or game of football. Anybody who says otherwise needs to take off their green tinted shades and really think about it.

If Cammy Bell hasn't got a young family to provide for then he's a pr!ck :greengrin

StevieC
13-02-2013, 12:04 PM
Basically their signing ban has made no difference at all as they can afford to make it worth a players time to wait for a couple of months before signing.

Exactly.

With the exception of the January window, that has just closed, the signing ban has had little affect on The Rangers ability to sign players.

Thecat23
13-02-2013, 12:07 PM
Exactly. The whole short career crap doesnt wash with me. Guys in the army have a relatively short career at a fraction of the wage and have to find alternative emoloyment and retraining in their 30s.

Even in the 'pittance' of a grand a week in the SPL, anyone with half a brain should be able to have a nest egg for retirement and money to go on and get qualified to do something else.

Yeah but if the guy in the army got offered a massive wage hike to join another regiment you think he wouldn't do it? I don't feel sorry for footballers in any way. But they have a chance to make the most from their chosen career so what's wrong with that? You will find a lot of footballers actually do go on to do other things and making good money may help them achieve the stuff they want to do after football. Sour grapes from fans when a player leaves nothing more nothing less.

StevieC
13-02-2013, 12:07 PM

What transfer ban??? :dunno:

VickMackie
13-02-2013, 12:14 PM

I'm not being funny but would you rather not have made enough money to retire and enjoy your later life doing what you want rather than play for some run of the mill championship or league 1 team than work in an office or shop.

Maybe he wants to earn the money so he can start his own business when he retires.

He probably won't need to move house or uproot his family etc.

I don't think rangers players should be called up for Scotland though.

sambajustice
13-02-2013, 12:19 PM
haha that was meant to say £2k max!!!

Who would want to play for TK Maxx???

Probably still beat us though!

Pretty Boy
13-02-2013, 12:23 PM
I'm not being funny but would you rather not have made enough money to retire and enjoy your later life doing what you want rather than play for some run of the mill championship or league 1 team than work in an office or shop.

Maybe he wants to earn the money so he can start his own business when he retires.

Plenty players at 'run of the mill' Championship teams will be earning far, far more than Rangers are paying.

And its a far better level than the SPL. Look at the difference between Scott Brown and Steven Fletcher. Both earned plenty money but one was willing to take a risk, admittedly with a bit persuasion, and has flourished and probably has one even bigger move in him. The other has stagnated badly and is probably treading water in the SPL for the rest of his career.

Thecat23
13-02-2013, 12:26 PM
Who would want to play for TK Maxx???

Probably still beat us though!

:faf: Liked that.

monktonharp
13-02-2013, 12:32 PM
Cammy Bell has signed a precontract with Rangers...£8k a week to play in division 2 ffs!

MJ definitely couldn't have offered him that. Apparently Cammy's mind was made up when Strachan said he would consider Rangers players which was the main concern he had about going there. He'll be a legend for the performance at Hampden but if we had a decent back-up I would have him sitting on the bench for the under 20s.

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/leaguedivision3/4792339/Gers-gonna-be-saved-by-the-bell.html

CAMMY BELL has clinched a four-year deal with Rangers.The Kilmarnock keeper has signed a pre- contract and will join Gers on September 1.
As SunSport revealed on Monday the 26-year-old has snubbed the offer of a five-year deal at Rugby Park and will move when Rangers’ transfer embargo is lifted.
Bell’s Gers deal is worth around £8,000-a-week, and Ibrox boss Ally McCoist said: “Cammy fits the bill in terms of his ability and his availability in terms of being out of contract in the summer.”
SunSport understands Bell will remain 100 per cent committed to Killie until his contract expires.
But his switch to Ibrox casts doubt on Neil Alexander’s future at the club.
The Gers No1 is out of contract at the end of the season and remains locked in talks over a new deal.
Alexander is unlikely to settle for a seat back on the bench.
McCoist, above, added: “We would like to keep Neil because I want to have two strong keepers. It would also give me the opportunity to send Scott hope he has a stinker in the QF,while dreaming of playing for his now beloved "the ragers" and hope to hell he never pulls on a scotland jersey while playing lower division football. and your club wanted der hun to stay in the top flight! was it so they got signing on fees for their players?

Baldy Foghorn
13-02-2013, 12:39 PM
Sums up everything that is wrong with Football in our Country....

Oldco Die leaving a huge trail of unpaid debt in their wake, starting afresh debt free, then adding insult to injury by offering 8k a week for players like Bell.....

Meanwhile others who have played by the rules, can only pay a fraction of these wages....I abhor Oldco/Newco, but you would think they would be a bit more economical with their money these days, oh wait, it wasn't their fault, it was everybody else's

The_Sauz
13-02-2013, 01:32 PM

If I had made as a pro footballer, then I would want to strive to make myself a better player, and if that means making sacrifices like moving to another country....so be it!
Money has never been a big deal to me as much as making myself a better person. like I said, if I had made it and I had someone like Rangers (I did sign for them as a schoolboy :embarrass) after me along with some English 1st Division/Championship club, them I would seriously consider the later, as I would be playing in a better league and against better full-time players.

Sylar
13-02-2013, 01:37 PM
hope he has a stinker in the QF,while dreaming of playing for his now beloved "the ragers" and hope to hell he never pulls on a scotland jersey while playing lower division football. and your club wanted der hun to stay in the top flight! was it so they got signing on fees for their players?

I think you already realise how futile such a "hope" is, considering Strachan has already indicated he's willing to call up Rangers players by doing so with Lee Wallace.

Brooster
13-02-2013, 01:47 PM
Spot on mate. They paid black and shiels £5k a week on top of the £10k a week the likes of Wallace Alexander and mcCulloch are getting......only to get pumped in every cup 3-0. They now have to up the anti to attract new players, starting with £1,644,000 for a run of the mill goalie. Financial problems ahead for them I reckon especially if they are in the bottom tier next season.

Sums up everything that is wrong with Football in our Country....

Oldco Die leaving a huge trail of unpaid debt in their wake, starting afresh debt free, then adding insult to injury by offering 8k a week for players like Bell.....

Meanwhile others who have played by the rules, can only pay a fraction of these wages....I abhor Oldco/Newco, but you would think they would be a bit more economical with their money these days, oh wait, it wasn't their fault, it was everybody else's

Pete
13-02-2013, 01:59 PM
I have no problems with footballers wanting to better themselves and can understand the money aspect.

The problem I have is with who is offering the money. Also, this has nothing to do with bettering himself or furthering his career.

He's actually chose cash over personal development. All these players who are signing for sevco are not doing themselves any favours in the long term.

Scouse Hibee
13-02-2013, 03:04 PM
I have no problems with footballers wanting to better themselves and can understand the money aspect.

The problem I have is with who is offering the money. Also, this has nothing to do with bettering himself or furthering his career.

He's actually chose cash over personal development. All these players who are signing for sevco are not doing themselves any favours in the long term.

I think the point is that long term in the financial sense they are doing themselves a power of good!

just_joe
13-02-2013, 03:05 PM
I dont think anyone is questioning the deal on a personal financial level more on a football ambition level. He will be playing 2 years in div 2 and div 1 of Scottish football which to me isnt going to improve him as a player whereby he may have gone down south and played at a much better level and improved as a player possibly forcing himself into the Scotland team or got a move to a Premier club sort of thing. If that didnt work then he could have come back up the road. Seems staggeringly lacking in ambition. No doubt some wag nipping his ear and influencing his decision.

Will he though? I just get the feeling "the rangers" will get there own way from the SFA and have the leagues restructured. To be honest I would sign for them too with that money. get as much money as you can in your career because in the blink of an eye your career could be over anytime with injurys etc.

ancient hibee
13-02-2013, 03:16 PM
Is this true?Today's paper has him denying that he's signed anything.

Paisley Hibby
13-02-2013, 03:24 PM
Give me three or four times my current wage and ill go and work in an Indian sweat shop and think about my career later.

In Bell's case may even be 8 times his current wage

Pete
13-02-2013, 03:44 PM
What sort of salary will he beable to command after sevco decide he isn't good enough for them when they reach the top?

Sod all because he wont be good enough. Playing for three years in the lower leagues will make sure of that.

Another year at killie and a championship club might better this eight grand...and he'll still be a decent keeper who has honed his skills by playing in the top league.

Speedy
13-02-2013, 03:51 PM
At the end of the Summer transfer window.

Aye, 31st of August so they can sign anyone on a pre-contract as long as their Rangers contract starts on the 1st of September.

It's a farse. They've not really suffered from it at all. They were given plenty time to sign players before it came into place so they've only really missed out the January window just past.

blackpoolhibs
13-02-2013, 03:51 PM
What would be great for him too was if Kilmarnock took him back in a few years, and gave him a testimonial just in case he's not quite earnt enough while filling his pockets at Ibrox? :rolleyes:

stoneyburn hibs
13-02-2013, 04:10 PM
Sad that a boy with his ability has no ambition.

Hibercelona
13-02-2013, 06:31 PM
Money talks, bull**** walks. :rolleyes:

Sir David Gray
13-02-2013, 07:02 PM
Absolute nonsense.

As someone who is billed as one of the better goalkeepers in Scotland and someone who has a realistic chance of playing for Scotland, Cammy Bell should be looking to sign for a decent team in England. They will pay him as much if not more than what Sevco are reportedly going to be paying him and he'll be playing at a far higher level as well.

I understand what people are saying about him earning far more than what he gets just now but it shows absolutely no ambition whatsoever to go to a team in the 2nd division in Scotland and it's really disappointing.

vanNISHtelroy
13-02-2013, 07:27 PM
Having seen Letheren again on saturday at RP and listening to what the commentators think about him tonight we need to get Cammy back in the team ASAP once hes recovered from his hip injury!

Speedy
13-02-2013, 07:45 PM
Absolute nonsense.

As someone who is billed as one of the better goalkeepers in Scotland and someone who has a realistic chance of playing for Scotland, Cammy Bell should be looking to sign for a decent team in England. They will pay him as much if not more than what Sevco are reportedly going to be paying him and he'll be playing at a far higher level as well.

I understand what people are saying about him earning far more than what he gets just now but it shows absolutely no ambition whatsoever to go to a team in the 2nd division in Scotland and it's really disappointing.

He might not want to move to some obscure place in England when he can achieve the same a few miles up the road.

If I had the chance to work in Edinburgh (or Glasgow in his case) for the same money as somewhere like Huddersfield or Wolverhampton then I'd be staying put as well.

The ambition thing has some merit when you're talking about big clubs but moving to an average championship team is hardly ambitious.

Sir David Gray
13-02-2013, 07:53 PM
He might not want to move to some obscure place in England when he can achieve the same a few miles up the road.

If I had the chance to work in Edinburgh (or Glasgow in his case) for the same money as somewhere like Huddersfield or Wolverhampton then I'd be staying put as well.

The ambition thing has some merit when you're talking about big clubs but moving to an average championship team is hardly ambitious.

I would say it's more ambitious than moving to the second division in Scotland, particularly when you're just one promotion away from playing in arguably the best league in the world.

stoneyburn hibs
13-02-2013, 08:00 PM
I would say it's more ambitious than moving to the second division in Scotland, particularly when you're just one promotion away from playing in arguably the best league in the world.

Or having a good season at a championship club and moving onto the premiership from there , 8k a week would be doubled easily

13-02-2013, 08:00 PM

Fud.

:agree:

Speedy
13-02-2013, 08:33 PM

Equally one relegation away from League 1.

Rangers will be back in the SPL in 2 years and will more than likely be in Europe in 3.

All I'm saying is it's hardly black and white, particularly when we don't know what else was on offer.

Speedy
13-02-2013, 08:37 PM
Or having a good season at a championship club and moving onto the premiership from there , 8k a week would be doubled easily

I can't think of many keepers in their mid twenties that have moved from Scotland to Championship clubs and went on to play in the premiership.