PDA

View Full Version : "Try the kids"

Heedersnvolleys
12-02-2013, 03:08 PM
“TRY THE KIDS”
Well that’s the last thing we need!!!!
We don’t want another bunch of young players confidence ruined! If there was a time for this it was early in the season when we are playing better as a team.
I really hope that was PF just trying to get a reaction from our players. He has just had a transfer window, a successful one at that where I would say all the other teams in the SPL out with Celtic would have took the players we got.
Apart from Stevenson and Hanlon all the players were ones he brought to the club and he seems to rate these 2 as well. So he has the players he wants, it is up to him to get the best out of them!
I really hope his comment was for this reason I state as if not it strikes of desperation or he really has run out of ideas.
A couple of other observations as someone else on another thread pointed out what were those subs all about? If he was going to bring them on that early, let’s face it he had already made his mind up, why were Claros and Cairney not in the changing room hearing his instructions or tactics for the second half? Also he is usually a lot more animated on the side lines he was like a statue last night! If he has no enthusiasm then that will feed to the players as well!

Vini1875
12-02-2013, 03:21 PM
I think he was just pissed off at what he saw as a lack of effort. I heard some stuff last night which I am sure in the cold light of day and relaxed with a cup of tea many would not have been spouting. PF is no different in his frustration at not finding a answer to Hibs problems but lack the self determination to win and win again.

HibernianJK
12-02-2013, 03:34 PM
Although I don't think he should just launch the kids in willy nilly. I don't think it's a bad idea to give one or two a wee run in the team. I personally really like the look of Caldwell and would not object to him getting 3/4 games up top with sparky

IFONLY
12-02-2013, 04:17 PM
“TRY THE KIDS”
Well that’s the last thing we need!!!!
We don’t want another bunch of young players confidence ruined! If there was a time for this it was early in the season when we are playing better as a team.
I really hope that was PF just trying to get a reaction from our players. He has just had a transfer window, a successful one at that where I would say all the other teams in the SPL out with Celtic would have took the players we got.
Apart from Stevenson and Hanlon all the players were ones he brought to the club and he seems to rate these 2 as well. So he has the players he wants, it is up to him to get the best out of them!
I really hope his comment was for this reason I state as if not it strikes of desperation or he really has run out of ideas.
A couple of other observations as someone else on another thread pointed out what were those subs all about? If he was going to bring them on that early, let’s face it he had already made his mind up, why were Claros and Cairney not in the changing room hearing his instructions or tactics for the second half? Also he is usually a lot more animated on the side lines he was like a statue last night! If he has no enthusiasm then that will feed to the players as well!

You are having a laugh are you not!!!!!

Heedersnvolleys
12-02-2013, 04:25 PM
You are having a laugh are you not!!!!!

I don't think I am, apart from Motherwell and maybe Aberdeen who have 2 decent wingers so they would not be interested in Done but I don't think the other teams in the league would turn there noses up at Robertson, Sparky, McGirvern or even Claros for that matter.

Pretty Boy
12-02-2013, 04:38 PM
Why not try the kids?

Some youngsters seem to play with a freedom and arrogance that more seasoned journey men don't.

Whilst the current crop may not be as good who can forget the likes of Brown, Thomson, Riordan et al swaggering into places like Celtic Park and Ibrox and expecting a result. We didnt always get it but we got a few memorable days out of that attitude.

Of course the manager we had then probably playrd a part in that.

IFONLY
12-02-2013, 04:51 PM
I don't think I am, apart from Motherwell and maybe Aberdeen who have 2 decent wingers so they would not be interested in Done but I don't think the other teams in the league would turn there noses up at Robertson, Sparky, McGirvern or even Claros for that matter.

The ones in bold where already at ER they just got extensions to the loan period. I was pertaining to Robertson and Done. I dont really think that any other team in the league will lose sleep at not signing them

Heedersnvolleys
12-02-2013, 05:15 PM
The ones in bold where already at ER they just got extensions to the loan period. I was pertaining to Robertson and Done. I dont really think that any other team in the league will lose sleep at not signing them

Really??? So you think the other teams in our league can turn down championship players?

clerriehibs
12-02-2013, 05:31 PM
If there are kids knocking on the door, then they're knocking affy quietly

Leishy1995
12-02-2013, 05:33 PM
If we don't try and get them into a squad with no relegation fears we will never see if they are good enough.

Hibees07
12-02-2013, 05:44 PM
Who exactly are these youngsters he is referring to?. From what I have seen so far we only appear to have Handling & Caldwell pushing for a place, neither of which has made any difference when they have come on as substitutes. In my opinion they are not ready for the step up.

What really cheeses me off is how a team like Hearts with no money managed to get a young promising centre half & a big goalscoring striker on loan, both making an instant impact. Meanwhile our signings make no difference whatsoever to our performance. It's almost like we just signed players in desperation to appease the fans.

IFONLY
12-02-2013, 06:47 PM
Really??? So you think the other teams in our league can turn down championship players?

There are championship players and there are championship players, if they where any good at all we would not get them on loan or sign them.Do you never wonder why we get them on loan. I am willing to bet that players such as Done never play for a championship team again, just not good enough.

Heedersnvolleys
12-02-2013, 07:42 PM
There are championship players and there are championship players, if they where any good at all we would not get them on loan or sign them.Do you never wonder why we get them on loan. I am willing to bet that players such as Done never play for a championship team again, just not good enough.

You maybe right about Done but I still think the other teams in our league would have taken these players if they had the resources.

NORTHERNHIBBY
12-02-2013, 08:09 PM
Try should be a word that is used for pre:season This far into the campaign it really should be....know,

NORTHERNHIBBY
12-02-2013, 08:29 PM
Try should be a word that is used for pre:season This far into the campaign it really should be....know,

theonlywayisup
12-02-2013, 08:58 PM
Are they not losing 4-1 tonight against Motherwell's kids?

What worries me about Hertz is that they have their kids playing in their top team and some of them, such as Holt and Walker, look pretty good.

Green Fish
12-02-2013, 10:36 PM
Of course PF should be blooding the kids, getting them in gently. Stanton should be getting a run, albeit he is on loan and sidelined with an ankle injury that requires a scan as it's not healing - he broke into the 1st team last term then nothing.

Get Horribine on the bench and a run, give Caldwell more of a chance. Our MF are static, murderous, dull and predictable. Get Spoony into a position just behind the striker. Time for the players to get kicked up the backside and perform. Otherwise it could be freefall.

Leishy1995
12-02-2013, 11:05 PM
I'd be telling the youngsters it's their time to impress so that they come on hungry. Get the players who have been first teamers to waken up

sesoim
12-02-2013, 11:12 PM
If Fenlon throws the kids in, I think that would basically be an admisssion that most of his 14 signings have failed.

And therefore, he has failed.

sahib
13-02-2013, 11:56 AM
I'd be telling the youngsters it's their time to impress so that they come on hungry. Get the players who have been first teamers to waken up

I have posted this before, but I heard Joe Baker say in an interview, that he never felt any pressure as a youngster as he was only, really, worried about his own performance - or words to that effect. The league position etc. didn't concern him. I think this is probably true of most youngsters and anyway even our "greetin faced" support cut youngsters a bit of slack.

number9dream
13-02-2013, 12:16 PM
Do we have a "kid" that can play at right-back?

danhibees1875
13-02-2013, 12:20 PM

I think someone suggested Donaldson; don't know much about him though or if he is even a natural RB.

As much as I'd like to see a new RB in place I think putting a young CB there wouldn't be the best move.

J-C
13-02-2013, 12:44 PM

Forster

silverhibee
13-02-2013, 02:28 PM
Could someone put up a list of the young players that are ready to walk in to the first team. ?

silverhibee
13-02-2013, 03:07 PM
Could someone put up a list of the young players that are ready to walk in to the first team. ?

Anyone.

frazeHFC
13-02-2013, 03:12 PM

I'm not saying that they are ready but we always hear good things about Stanton and Harris, would like to see them given a shot at some point.

Pretty Boy
13-02-2013, 03:16 PM

Some of the examples I used above weren't neccesatily ready when they first started playing in the first team. Garry and Derek both got their debuts way back under Sauzee when they were very raw. Under Williamson there were doubts about a few of the but they grew into their roles in the first team.

I'm not saying kids is 100% the answer but something needs done to break the current cycle of mediocrity.

truehibernian
13-02-2013, 03:39 PM

I think it boils down to timing and form SH - for me Eoin Doyle just hasn't been at the races the last few games, so I'd have had no hesitation at throwing in Ross Caldwell to play alongside Leigh. I'm very confused as to why Alex Harris hasn't at least been given a half here and there as he is exciting, unafraid to take a man on, and loves to shoot from distance. He played Danny in midfield up at Dingwall but again out of position. Playing Kuqi at Todders as well just had me shaking my head in disbelief - another game where Ross could have been played if he wanted a wee bit physicality - one thing about Caldwell is he'll run all day and has an engine on him to work the channels if need be, and he can stand his ground against big lads.

I meant to ask Keith Wright last week if he'd heard how Sam Stanton is doing what with his Cowden ties - the primary Academy trials were on - I tell you what, take a look at Kuqi and then Keith Wright and tell me who you'd have in the side right now even at his age - fit as a butchers dug and didn't look out of shape in a Hibs top at Tynie during the penalty shoot out win :greengrin god only knows where they got Two Andy's goalie top though.....probably stitched two together :greengrin

The lack of goals recently for me has to do with the balance and midfield - Hibs are playing far far too deep and there are times in games where there is far too much space between our supposed attacking midfielders and the front men - this means time and time again Leigh and Eoin dropping into our own half or on the halfway line to pick up possession - this needs to be addressed and that can only come from better communication and a couple of midfielders confident enough to take the game higher up the pitch. Before Saints first goal, Leigh had two great cut backs, driven crosses into the box, yet none of our midfield were in support for any ricochets or loose balls. And it always disappoints me when I see the front pair not being what they are good at, and that is being strikers. Too often they are played out too wide. Hibs best chances came when they were taking men on - it seems the side, or most of the side, just aren't that confident in their ability to get past a man, hence it's very telegraphed, side to side, easy to read football - we are not making teams work all over the pitch and on Monday in particular I'd say the midfield lost us the game by not competing and ball watching throughout.

silverhibee
13-02-2013, 05:32 PM
Some of the examples I used above weren't neccesatily ready when they first started playing in the first team. Garry and Derek both got their debuts way back under Sauzee when they were very raw. Under Williamson there were doubts about a few of the but they grew into their roles in the first team.

I'm not saying kids is 100% the answer but something needs done to break the current cycle of mediocrity.

I agree what you are saying PB, but Deek and Garry as you say got there debuts at a raw age under Sauzee because they were making a name for them selfs in the youth leagues, at 17-18 year old and they were getting called up to play in the team in the reserves league and shining there also, both were part of the Scotland youth set up at this time also and were promoted to the Scotand under 21s and big Gaz also got called up to the Scotland first team at a young age, both were loaned out to lower league clubs in Scotland to get more experience and showed at a young age that they could deal/cope with playing in these leagues, Deek was recalled from Cowdenbeath before his loan deal ran out with them as he had shown in the short time he was there that he was ready for first team football with Hibs.

Mcleish had brought Gaz in to the first team first and after he left(AM) we had Williamson come in and i suppose he had to go with youth players, maybe by this time it was Gaz and Tam playing upfront for us but by this time Brown Thomson and Whittaker were breaking in to the first team as well along with Deek, i remember Deek and Brown coming on for Gaz and Tam(was it against Aberdeen) and both got on the score sheet that day and they then became main stays in the team until they left the club along with the others, and then Fletcher came in to the team as well and kept his place in the team.

Do we have young players coming through that if they get there chance in the first team will they be able to keep hold of there position in the team, i don't think so, since the Golden Generation came through what other youngsters have come through the youth system and been a main stay in the team, i can maybe only think of Hanlon, there is also Lewis and Wotherspoon but they have been in and out of the team over the years and that's it, i have read/ heard about previous young Hibs teams where they are meant to be the next Golden bunch but where are they now, they may have been doing well in the youths but the biggest majority of them haven't made the step up to the first team, what's going wrong with the youth set up.

As for the bit in bold which the manager said about bringing in the young kids after Monday nights performance, we are only 13 days in from the transfer window closing and the manager is making a statement like that, i can only take it as a warning to the players to get there acts together and start playing better than they did on Monday night, rather than he will bring in the young lads, if we have any to step up for first team football.

:aok:

JimBHibees
13-02-2013, 05:34 PM
Anyone.

I would give Handling a couple of starts as think he is coming on from the small bits I have seen of him. Would play him wide right on Saturday as a start.

Dashing Bob S
13-02-2013, 05:36 PM
Sounds like a Jambo philosophy to me.

carnoustiehibee
13-02-2013, 05:49 PM
Hopefully the guys on loan will be pushing for a start next season

Jones28
14-02-2013, 12:19 AM
Don't see why not. Caldwell and sparky up front. A young, energetic midfielder and a flamboyant, attacking fullback: the Callum booth type.

There is a fine line between too much and too little young players in a team and at the moment we are definitely on the wrong side of it.

How do we know they're ready until they're tested?

Scouse Hibee
14-02-2013, 12:24 AM
Don't see why not. Caldwell and sparky up front. A young, energetic midfielder and a flamboyant, attacking fullback: the Callum booth type.

There is a fine line between too much and too little young players in a team and at the moment we are definitely on the wrong side of it.

How do we know they're ready until they're tested?

Not sure any of them could make the impression we wish they could to be honest.

Jones28
14-02-2013, 11:42 AM
Not sure any of them could make the impression we wish they could to be honest.

Perhaps not, but I would rather see these guys being given a chance to prove themselves than see us signing journeymen from lower league England.

Get Booth back from Livingston and into the team