PDA

View Full Version : Alan Maybury

H1B33 1875
12-02-2013, 12:35 PM
Embarrassingly bad last night! Ripped to shreds by Vine. Every time St Johnstone had the ball they were hitting Mayburys side. We'll get beat every time if we persist with players like him! Must be better options, possibly a youngster? Clancy seems a wee bit injury prone so we need to have a better back up. Cant fault Mayburys effort, he just dosnt have the ability anymore, nowhere near good enough for this level.

Twa Cairpets
12-02-2013, 12:37 PM
Embarrassingly bad last night! Ripped to shreds by Vine. Every time St Johnstone had the ball they were hitting Mayburys side. We'll get beat every time if we persist with players like him! Must be better options, possibly a youngster? Clancy seems a wee bit injury prone so we need to have a better back up. Cant fault Mayburys effort, he just dosnt have the ability anymore, nowhere near good enough for this level.

Poor last night, but was very good against Aberdeen. Also had almost no cover from midfield, although that's not an excuse

Craigyno1
12-02-2013, 12:39 PM
Was having a chat a few weeks ago with ex captain John Fraser, who still attends every home game. He pin pointed Maybury as the weak link in the defence/team, and he doesnt get tight enough on the opposition player he is meant to be marking.

Haggis Hibby
12-02-2013, 12:39 PM

Think Maybury wasnt given any help or support by his team mates.... overall avery poor performance by all.... INCLUDING the manager who showed a real lack to tatical awarness and inability to have a plan to break down the oppnents....

cleanyman
12-02-2013, 12:41 PM
He had a poor game last night, no question. But he was completely exposed, i felt bad for him.

Other than that, I think he's been a solid pro for Hibs this season with some really fine display's.

He needs support though, and he certainly didn't get that last night.

Baldy Foghorn
12-02-2013, 12:45 PM
He had a poor game last night, no question. But he was completely exposed, i felt bad for him.

Other than that, I think he's been a solid pro for Hibs this season with some really fine display's.

Snap, nobody down the right side provided any cover for him whatsoever, which is disappointing to see......

hibs4thecup1988
12-02-2013, 12:48 PM

Totally agree with this. Marybury has been a solid guy for us this season. I actually thought we missed Wotherspoon last night. Done never tracked back any where near as much as DW.

Saturday will be interesting after Fenlons post match comments about the young players to come into the squad...might we see a team full of youngsters?

Scottie
12-02-2013, 12:48 PM
Get real lads !!!

Money investment into club = better quality of player that would come

NO money invested into club = worse quality of player

SIMPLE AS THAT Maybury is what we pay for so thats what we get

In his defence he does some unnoticed covering for the likes o McPake last night but he's an easier target for the boo boys

Stevie Reid
12-02-2013, 12:50 PM
Even as second choice right back he has been far better than many of the imposters we have had play there in recent years. He has certainly been responsible for the loss of a few key goals, but then he has also played in makeshift back fours that have performed superbly in some of our outstanding results this season. I actually think his distribution from right back is pretty good, and I'm still glad that we have him.

I always find it interesting how many people come on here and state that so and so is has definitely been our best player, whilst another is the absolute worst. Apart from Griffiths and Williams, I don't see how anyone could state unequivocally that a specific player has been the best/worst in their area of the field.

truehibernian
12-02-2013, 12:55 PM
Take a closer look at the goals before tearing into Maybury - first one, similar to Dundee's goal, the team are ball watching. Ben for me has to deal with the shot better, but the goal actually starts off with Hibs cheaply losing possession under no pressure. After the parry, watch Deegen literally standing oblivious to Vine following up.

Second goal comes from a weak as **** header from Hanlon, which is thereafter embarrassingly contested by two Hibs players, Deegan being one - he hits the ball in hope which lands kindly for Vine and to be fair to Alan it's an unexpected ball in the context of play as its the other side of the box. Even when he turns Alan, James McPake shows no awareness and again literally stands, turning away from the shot which for me is criminal - he should be rushing into the space and closing Vine down.

The defence plays very flat and very zonal. The midfield balance was all wrong too. Robertson looked dazed and confused. Was he signed as a scoring midfielder ? Played as a holding one and didn't get forward once. Deegan has the horrible 'I'll jog through this game' trait - Lewis was played in every bloody position on the pitch nearly - and Done looked dangerous every time he got the ball - sadly he didn't receive it enough.

Doyle again has to drop into his own half at times to get the ball, as did Leigh.

We played very deep, with no shape, no direction and lost focus. There is no zip to the play and Saints pinged it around comfortably. Hibs couldn't keep it for more than 4 passes and even then it ended up with an aimless punt.

The football is awful and Pat needs to really start earning his salary - and get the youth into the side for gods sake. What's the point in playing a left footed midfielder at right back when you have a right sided defender on the bench who is very very decent and handy at set pieces too!!!

monktonharp
12-02-2013, 12:57 PM
Snap, nobody down the right side provided any cover for him whatsoever, which is disappointing to see...... I agree, but why does he always seem to back off a player attacking him ? he goes backwards all the way into the box,then seems scared to put a challenge in,incase he ends up giving away a penalty. I've never seen him put in a real challenge

Baldy Foghorn
12-02-2013, 01:06 PM
I agree, but why does he always seem to back off a player attacking him ? he goes backwards all the way into the box,then seems scared to put a challenge in,incase he ends up giving away a penalty. I've never seen him put in a real challenge

McGivern backs off as well....My biggest bugbear is players backing off, letting the opposition run into our box....Surely we need to be blocking crosses coming in, so why we back off is beyond me.........

The Motherwell goals in the 3-2 loss at ER, are evidence of this.....

truehibernian
12-02-2013, 01:11 PM
I agree, but why does he always seem to back off a player attacking him ? he goes backwards all the way into the box,then seems scared to put a challenge in,incase he ends up giving away a penalty. I've never seen him put in a real challenge

He put in two great ones, both on Murray Davidson (who bosses the game), prior to saints opening goal. The warning signs were there, Fenlon chose to ignore them and at that point Done was playing too high and not being told to drop deeper when not on the ball.

I agree that Mayburys weakness is standing off, however he knows he isn't blessed with pace so it is no doubt to give him some chance of staying with his man. The down side clearly is the cross invariably comes in. He is a decent tackler though and rarely mistimes his defending in my opinion. He's actually saved us a few times in games with crucial tackles and clearances.

StevieC
12-02-2013, 01:16 PM
Take a closer look at the goals before tearing into Maybury - first one, similar to Dundee's goal, the team are ball watching. Ben for me has to deal with the shot better, but the goal actually starts off with Hibs cheaply losing possession under no pressure. After the parry, watch Deegen literally standing oblivious to Vine following up.

My view (Maybury related) was that Maybury did not close down Vine quick enough or tight enough, allowing Vine to cut across towards goal and lay it for a shot. Maybury then left Vine to charge towards the ball. The shot was released, parried by Williams, and the now unmarked Vine had time and space to slot it home. I'd agree with your view on Deegan though, he was like a statue for the loose ball.

Second goal comes from a weak as **** header from Hanlon, which is thereafter embarrassingly contested by two Hibs players, Deegan being one - he hits the ball in hope which lands kindly for Vine and to be fair to Alan it's an unexpected ball in the context of play as its the other side of the box. Even when he turns Alan, James McPake shows no awareness and again literally stands, turning away from the shot which for me is criminal - he should be rushing into the space and closing Vine down.

Agree with how it ended up and Vine's feet, but from that point on Maybury stands off him, when he should be closing and looking for an opportunity to put a tackle in, and Vine has time to pick his spot.

Whilst there may have been a catalogue of errors elsewhere, there is no doubt in my mind that both goals were preventable by a right back that is fast enough, and confident enough, to get tight to his player and make a tackle.

Makaveli
12-02-2013, 01:18 PM
Maybury was hung out to dry last night. Left exposed by the midfield one minute and asked to cover for the central defence the next.

IMO his performance was a symptom, not the problem.

Speedy
12-02-2013, 01:20 PM
He put in two great ones, both on Murray Davidson (who bosses the game), prior to saints opening goal. The warning signs were there, Fenlon chose to ignore them and at that point Done was playing too high and not being told to drop deeper when not on the ball.

I agree that Mayburys weakness is standing off, however he knows he isn't blessed with pace so it is no doubt to give him some chance of staying with his man. The down side clearly is the cross invariably comes in. He is a decent tackler though and rarely mistimes his defending in my opinion. He's actually saved us a few times in games with crucial tackles and clearances.

I agree with this.

Maybury isn't a terrible player but he will always be very exposed when up against pace.

Moving Stevenson to the right of midfield and then right back was a good decision but it came too late in hindsight.

StevieC
12-02-2013, 01:21 PM
but why does he always seem to back off a player attacking him ? he goes backwards all the way into the box

The perfect example was towards the end of the first half when he was left 1v1 as St Johnstone broke. He was favourite to get to the through ball first but chose to shirk out the challenge and start backing off. The St Johnstone player even had time to fall to the ground, get back up again, and still have control of the ball to continue his run.

Golden Bear
12-02-2013, 01:23 PM
Maybury was poor last night but both the team and the Manager have got take collective responsibility for what was a truly dire performance.

Hermit Crab
12-02-2013, 01:23 PM

Said this on another thread, the boy Davidson wont have an easier game all season. Won every tackle, header and 2nd ball. The only thing his performance was missing last night was a goal.

As for Maybury he was by no means our worst player last night and it would be unfair to only single him out for criticism. Badly exposed by our lack luster midfield.

Scouse Hibee
12-02-2013, 01:52 PM
Pointless thread as Maybury was as poor as the rest of them last night so why single him out?

Should be looking at a thread for nearly every player IMO.

JollyGreenGiant
12-02-2013, 02:17 PM
Pointless thread as Maybury was as poor as the rest of them last night so why single him out?

Should be looking at a thread for nearly every player IMO.

Totally agree, don't think Maybury had a particularly great game, but as others have said he was left exposed by a poor defence/midfield.

But imo too many folk are too quick to single him out, and because of his past Yam connections, he is an easy target.

Was in the FF last night I was embarrassed and disgusted at the folk around me 'celebrating' about the fact he was being subbed!

J-C
12-02-2013, 02:39 PM
Snap, nobody down the right side provided any cover for him whatsoever, which is disappointing to see......

Noticed Stevenson and McGivern working well together, when McGivern went forward, Stevenson dropped back to fill in, surely Stevenson could've been swapped to the right to help out Maybury and allowing Done to play naturally on the left.

Greendub
12-02-2013, 03:33 PM
Noticed Stevenson and McGivern working well together, when McGivern went forward, Stevenson dropped back to fill in, surely Stevenson could've been swapped to the right to help out Maybury and allowing Done to play naturally on the left.

I though that was a good pairing for that reason, Lewis can cover when Ryan goes forward, that won't work on the right with done and maybury, until Clancy is for again, they need to drop back and help maybury as teams (killie for one as Sheila was there last night) are going to use this to their advantage.

Paisley Hibby
12-02-2013, 03:52 PM
Maybury was hung out to dry last night. Left exposed by the midfield one minute and asked to cover for the central defence the next.

IMO his performance was a symptom, not the problem.

Spot on! I would only add that his lack of pace (no suprise given his age) made that situation even worse.

Cabbage1875
12-02-2013, 08:37 PM

The defence plays very flat and very zonal. The midfield balance was all wrong too. Robertson looked dazed and confused. Was he signed as a scoring midfielder ? Played as a holding one and didn't get forward once. Deegan has the horrible 'I'll jog through this game' trait - Lewis was played in every bloody position on the pitch nearly - and Done looked dangerous every time he got the ball - sadly he didn't receive it enough.

Doyle again has to drop into his own half at times to get the ball, as did Leigh.

We played very deep, with no shape, no direction and lost focus. There is no zip to the play and Saints pinged it around comfortably. Hibs couldn't keep it for more than 4 passes and even then it ended up with an aimless punt.

The football is awful and Pat needs to really start earning his salary - and get the youth into the side for gods sake. What's the point in playing a left footed midfielder at right back when you have a right sided defender on the bench who is very very decent and handy at set pieces too!!!

Pretty much agree with this to a tee, Maybury is the easy target. The second goal I said at the time that McPake should be able to see Maybury is in trouble and go closer to him to cover. I do think that Alan could have shown the attacker the line but there was no need for him to be 1v1. I think that is a huge problem all over the park, we don't hunt in packs, we are a bunch of individuals and this was very much in evidence at Saints second goal last night.