PDA

View Full Version : Big Ben

KeithTheHibby
12-02-2013, 09:41 AM
Correct me if I am wrong but that is now 5 penalty saves from the big man this season?

How many have we conceded?

Anyway my point is the big man is only 3 saves away from equalling the record as per attached link.

The way we seem to concede them suggests that this record could be broken!

http://goalkeepersaredifferent.com/keeper/factframe.htm

hibs4thecup1988
12-02-2013, 09:50 AM
We have conceded 7. 5 saved one over bar(Motherwell) and one goal (dundee)

Number69
12-02-2013, 10:26 AM
We shouldnt even be speaking about this, giving away a penalty is the cheapest way to lose 3 points and the more he saves them the more our defence will be happy to give away :grr:

cocopops1875
12-02-2013, 11:20 AM
We shouldnt even be speaking about this, giving away a penalty is the cheapest way to lose 3 points and the more he saves them the more our defence will be happy to give away :grr:

Nonsense

Scottie
12-02-2013, 11:39 AM
Top keeper Top man

He's a confident lad and thank god he is as even the best keeper in the world would dread playing behind oor defence every week

Hopefully Bens confidence can rub off on others on the pitch as the team seems devoid of any

My only concern with the big man is he's going to attract attention from unwanted clubs in the summer after his signature

IMO he's the best keeper we've had in years
:thumbsup:

Hermit Crab
12-02-2013, 11:54 AM
Nonsense

Indeed, but we are conceding penalties at an alarming rate though. :brickwall

Leishy1995
12-02-2013, 12:08 PM
Our penalties are either BS or stupidity.

BS for example, Mcpake Vs Aberdeen

Stupidity for example, Mcgivern Vs St Johnstone.

Defence needs a slap.

hibby rae
12-02-2013, 12:13 PM
Correct me if I am wrong but that is now 5 penalty saves from the big man this season?

How many have we conceded?

Anyway my point is the big man is only 3 saves away from equalling the record as per attached link.

The way we seem to concede them suggests that this record could be broken!

http://goalkeepersaredifferent.com/keeper/factframe.htm

What's the Scottish/SPL record?

rubber mal
12-02-2013, 12:47 PM
even the best keeper in the world would dread playing behind oor defence every week

Please stop wetting yourself. Before last night we'd conceded two goals in our last six games.

Scottie
12-02-2013, 12:56 PM
Please stop wetting yourself. Before last night we'd conceded two goals in our last six games.

What games you been watching pal ?

Its because o big Ben that the stats look better or do you think oor defence is solid its making him a better player than he actually is ?:brickwall

If your content to watch that Poo that was served up last night and accept it then your a better mabn than most o us on here

hibs4thecup1988
12-02-2013, 01:33 PM

Its because o big Ben that the stats look better or do you think oor defence is solid its making him a better player than he actually is ?:brickwall

If your content to watch that Poo that was served up last night and accept it then your a better mabn than most o us on here

I am in your camp that it is depressing to watch but to be fair the defence has been OK the last few weeks. HOWEVER, IMO that is because Hanlon has covered Mcpake time and time again.

I think Fenlon will be back to his 4-5-1 on Saturday and from then on.

Hibercelona
12-02-2013, 01:39 PM
I am in your camp that it is depressing to watch but to be fair the defence has been OK the last few weeks. HOWEVER, IMO that is because Hanlon has covered Mcpake time and time again.

I think Fenlon will be back to his 4-5-1 on Saturday and from then on.

The issue wasn't with the 4-4-2 though. It was throwing 2 new players directly into the midfield from the very start of the game.

The 4-4-2 can work for us, its proven to have worked for us before, but we need a settled midfield. Chopping and changing and throwing new faces in week in week out is what's going to do the most damage to us,

CapitalHibs
12-02-2013, 02:22 PM
Ronnie Simpson saved 12 in a row playing for Hibs. Never seen that documentated but Pat Stanton talked about it in last weeks Evening News :agree:

That record, though, has some way to go to match that of Hibs keeper Ronnie Simpson. In the 1960s, the man who went on to star for Celtic in their 1967 
European Cup triumph blocked 12 penalties in a row, including two in one game against Third Lanark.

Former Easter Road skipper Pat Stanton played alongside Simpson in that Hibs side and remembers the fuss the goalkeeper’s form against the opposition from the spot had caused.

Stanton recalled: “He was first class, a real quality keeper, and played in a very successful Newcastle before he came to Hibs and then signed for Celtic.

“He had a brilliant record when it came to penalties and I think it would be very difficult for anyone nowadays to match him.”

Stanton reckons that the goalkeeper’s stunning stop rate from 12 yards could have been down to the unusual stance he took as he faced up to spot-kicks.

Simpson forced penalty takers to choose their spot as they ran up by standing off to either to the left or right of the goal line, leaving a wide open space at the other side.

That meant the keeper, nine times out of ten, knew which way the opposing player was going to send his shot before he had even started his run-up.

And Stanton continued: “I can remember talking to him one day and asking him what it was that he did that was so different from other goalkeepers. Back then most of them stood right in middle of their goal, in fact, most of them still do today. Ronnie was a bit more 
unusual though.

“His idea was to stand to stand a wee bit off centre because he knew that, unless you were winning by a handful of goals, you would really need to aim to the side with the space. Obviously it didn’t always work out but it put that little bit of doubt into the penalty-taker’s mind and it meant that you didn’t really have any other option than to aim for the side with the big wide space, instead of the side the 
keeper had covered, so he knew which way you were going to shoot.”

While his record propelled him into the spotlight, Stanton recalls Simpson, who passed away in 2004 at the age of 73, as being a modest character who just enjoyed life: “Ronnie was just enjoyed the game and I don’t think that he tried to analyse it too deeply. He had a terrific career with some great sides. He was a smart. He was a great guy, I started about the same time that he came back. He was a terrific help, took you to the side and give you the benefit of his experience and he could tell you in a way that you understood straight away.”

While Simpson’s record is 
unlikely to be surpassed any time soon, Williams has certainly been going through a purple patch for the Easter Road side and not only when up against a penalty.

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/spl/ben-williams-is-hibs-hero-after-penalty-save-1-2775670

Number69
12-02-2013, 03:23 PM
Nonsense

Aye totally :rolleyes:

cocopops1875
12-02-2013, 04:49 PM
Indeed, but we are conceding penalties at an alarming rate though. :brickwall

Oh yeah i agree HC just not the part about not talking about it :greengrin

mim
12-02-2013, 04:52 PM
Ronnie Simpson saved 12 in a row playing for Hibs. Never seen that documentated but Pat Stanton talked about it in last weeks Evening News :agree:

That record, though, has some way to go to match that of Hibs keeper Ronnie Simpson. In the 1960s, the man who went on to star for Celtic in their 1967 
European Cup triumph blocked 12 penalties in a row, including two in one game against Third Lanark.

Former Easter Road skipper Pat Stanton played alongside Simpson in that Hibs side and remembers the fuss the goalkeeper’s form against the opposition from the spot had caused.

Stanton recalled: “He was first class, a real quality keeper, and played in a very successful Newcastle before he came to Hibs and then signed for Celtic.

“He had a brilliant record when it came to penalties and I think it would be very difficult for anyone nowadays to match him.”

Stanton reckons that the goalkeeper’s stunning stop rate from 12 yards could have been down to the unusual stance he took as he faced up to spot-kicks.

Simpson forced penalty takers to choose their spot as they ran up by standing off to either to the left or right of the goal line, leaving a wide open space at the other side.

That meant the keeper, nine times out of ten, knew which way the opposing player was going to send his shot before he had even started his run-up.

And Stanton continued: “I can remember talking to him one day and asking him what it was that he did that was so different from other goalkeepers. Back then most of them stood right in middle of their goal, in fact, most of them still do today. Ronnie was a bit more 
unusual though.

“His idea was to stand to stand a wee bit off centre because he knew that, unless you were winning by a handful of goals, you would really need to aim to the side with the space. Obviously it didn’t always work out but it put that little bit of doubt into the penalty-taker’s mind and it meant that you didn’t really have any other option than to aim for the side with the big wide space, instead of the side the 
keeper had covered, so he knew which way you were going to shoot.”

While his record propelled him into the spotlight, Stanton recalls Simpson, who passed away in 2004 at the age of 73, as being a modest character who just enjoyed life: “Ronnie was just enjoyed the game and I don’t think that he tried to analyse it too deeply. He had a terrific career with some great sides. He was a smart. He was a great guy, I started about the same time that he came back. He was a terrific help, took you to the side and give you the benefit of his experience and he could tell you in a way that you understood straight away.”

While Simpson’s record is 
unlikely to be surpassed any time soon, Williams has certainly been going through a purple patch for the Easter Road side and not only when up against a penalty.

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/spl/ben-williams-is-hibs-hero-after-penalty-save-1-2775670

I was at that game against Third Lanark. It actually finished 8-4. But for the penalty saves it would have finished 8-6.

cocopops1875
12-02-2013, 04:56 PM

Nonsense

Aye totally :rolleyes:

Why should we not be talking about it? there are many cheap ways to lose points as there are many ways to give away penalty :wink: i also dont believe for one second that our defence will give more away(or be happy to) because Big Ben has a good record at saving them :aok:

in conclusion your 1st post was NONSENSE :agree:

Number69
12-02-2013, 07:29 PM
Why should we not be talking about it? there are many cheap ways to lose points as there are many ways to give away penalty :wink: i also dont believe for one second that our defence will give more away(or be happy to) because Big Ben has a good record at saving them :aok:

in conclusion your 1st post was NONSENSE :agree:

I didnt say not to speak about it so get off your high horse :wink:

I said we shouldnt be talking about it because we shouldnt be in the position to be giving away so many penalties, so in conclusion your inability to read between the lines has caused you to reply in an unnecessary manner.

Also if you're happy to discuss the failings of our defence then carry on but I for one would rather we werent giving away stupid penalties and having the pressure put on a very good keeper.

Do your worst:rolleyes:

cocopops1875
12-02-2013, 07:48 PM

I didnt say not to speak about it so get off your high horse :wink:

I said we shouldnt be talking about it because we shouldnt be in the position to be giving away so many penalties, so in conclusion your inability to read between the lines has caused you to reply in an unnecessary manner.

Also if you're happy to discuss the failings of our defence then carry on but I for one would rather we werent giving away stupid penalties and having the pressure put on a very good keeper.

Do your worst:rolleyes:

Still my point is we can and will speak about it (this is a forum for fans to discuss the positives and negatives of our club) the penaltys against is a worry of course but my point is that i dont think for one moment our defenders are throwing in daft tackles Because they believe they will get away with it due to Bens form, Were either against Aberdeen Penaltys in your opinion ? of course they were given but is that our defenders fault ? yesterdays was a stonewaller and a daft challenge but still do you think McGivern thought "doesnae matter Bens Barry" or did he just make a daft mistake ?

CapitalHibs
12-02-2013, 07:57 PM
I was at that game against Third Lanark. It actually finished 8-4. But for the penalty saves it would have finished 8-6.

Was thinking exactly the same thing! Was the 1960-61 season and we would have had Baker, McLeod, Preston and Ormond in the lineup:scarf: What a goal scoring machine that team was. Defense leaked goals like a sieve and we had to hope we could outscore the opposition! Mind you Thirds had Hillie, Harley and Gray and they were pretty prolific too.

Number69
12-02-2013, 10:42 PM
Still my point is we can and will speak about it (this is a forum for fans to discuss the positives and negatives of our club) the penaltys against is a worry of course but my point is that i dont think for one moment our defenders are throwing in daft tackles Because they believe they will get away with it due to Bens form, Were either against Aberdeen Penaltys in your opinion ? of course they were given but is that our defenders fault ? yesterdays was a stonewaller and a daft challenge but still do you think McGivern thought "doesnae matter Bens Barry" or did he just make a daft mistake ?

How can that be your point when the point you were referring to has nothing to do with anyone saying we arent allowed to express free will, which you may find is what I was doing before you decided to overreact and turn it into a negative towards yourself. I was stating the fact that we should never have been discussing how many penalties our keeper saved because we should never have given away so many penalties.

And my original comment about them giving them away on purpose was tongue in cheek and said in frustration.

Chill the out bud we're meant to be a family I'm not here to argue with anyone so apologies if I offended:pfgwa

blackpoolhibs
13-02-2013, 08:28 AM
Is anyone else worried about the amount of penalties Ben has failed to hold on to? He persists in spilling the ball far too often when facing these spot kicks.

MWHIBBIES
13-02-2013, 08:44 AM

If your content to watch that Poo that was served up last night and accept it then your a better mabn than most o us on hereWait, hold on, you're telling me that our goalkeeper is stopping us conceding more goals? Surely not.