PDA

View Full Version : when was the last time

ivan03
12-02-2013, 08:30 AM
Hibs won a game and you thought to yourself that we actually played really well?? Or even a game we didn't win. The games we've won have been scrappy, maybe hard thought but never good to watch.

So many other teams we have played against actually have a bit about them, play the ball to feet, movement, runners. We seem to think its a good idea to lump balls from the back towards two 5 foot 8 strikers who i believe didn't win a single header yesterday, it doesn't work pat!! We have been a lot better at the back this season (minus last night) but we have very little creativity in the final 3rd.

Wish we had signed Jackie Mac before Dundee Utd did, Ian Murray next gaffer! Always thought, and still think he will be a top manager!

Hail Hail

hibs4thecup1988
12-02-2013, 08:34 AM
The last time I can realistically say we played well es aberdeen at home and we lost 1-0. We pummeled them that day. Since then we have been poor in my view

Played well deserved to win probably Motherwell away...

The Sea-gull
12-02-2013, 08:50 AM
Have seen most games this season one way or another and the last time I can remember us playing well was v Aberdeen at home in November.

Last time I felt we played well and won was v Dundee United in November but even then we rode our luck a bit at times.

Admittedly, I didn't see our win v Celtic between Xmas and New Year but from what I heard we were up against it for long periods in second half and were lucky to hold on but any win v Celtic has to have invloved a degree of decent performance.

Sir David Gray
12-02-2013, 09:23 AM
Have seen most games this season one way or another and the last time I can remember us playing well was v Aberdeen at home in November.

Last time I felt we played well and won was v Dundee United in November but even then we rode our luck a bit at times.

Admittedly, I didn't see our win v Celtic between Xmas and New Year but from what I heard we were up against it for long periods in second half and were lucky to hold on but any win v Celtic has to have invloved a degree of decent performance.

We were up against it for the last 15 minutes or so. Until then we were very comfortable and could actually have extended our lead.

We were well worth our victory that day but quite what has happened since then, I really have no idea.

Russell The Dug
12-02-2013, 09:28 AM
St Mirren.

Progress though eh :rolleyes:

calumhibee1
12-02-2013, 09:30 AM
The win against Celtic. Good performances have been few and far between though.

Bobo
12-02-2013, 10:11 AM
Looking at the following results / perfomances it's pretty obvious that we are really turd away from home, far too soft and willing for the opposition to have possession and for allowing them take control of games no matter who we play!!

Dundee Utd (A) 0-3
Queen ot South (A) 0-2
Ross County (A) 2-3
Dundee (A) 1-3
Inverness (A) 0-3
Dundee (H) 1-1
Ross County (H) 0-1
Ross County (A) 0-1
St Johnstone (H) 1-3

I'm not suggesting that we have a Devine right to have won all of these games but the margin and manner of some of these defeats are not acceptable for any Hibs team IMO.

To lose 3 games ( 9 points ) to a no mark Ross County team is a disgrace as is surrendering 4 points to Dundee. Being knocked out of the first round of the cup to Queen of the South sums up how poor we are on the road. Irrespective of how good a season Queens may be having, Hibs should always have more than enough to take care of games like that but we are a soft touch with no desire, pace or creativity. We are predictable and uninteresting to watch any team that works hard will beat us as we don't have the quality and don't have the fight, we are still a really poor team in a dreadfully p!ss poor league.

A hard fought draw at Parkhead and a win at Easter Road against Celtic together with similar cup wins against Hearts and Aberdeen were good results but no less than we should expect from a Hibs side in such games. Raising performance levels in games against the rest of the dross in the league is what matters and we've never seen any level of consistency for far too long!

There's been very little progress made and we're witnessing yet another drab season in a very long sequence of underachievement.

Craig_in_Prague
12-02-2013, 10:40 AM
Teams have sussed us out. They are happy to let us have a good piece of the ball, they know we don't create anything and we rely on something special from LG.
the 'progress' stuff gets on my tits I have to say, we were SO bad the last 1-2 years, that literally anyone could have came in and made some progress.

the crowds don't suggest progress is being made.

Said it on another thread last night, but why oh why Hibs cannot make better use of our full resources (ie. money, facilities) and have a management team and set of players in place, that can perform reasonable football and resemble a 'top' SPL club - I seriously think the fans would get more enjoyment watching junior football or even some amateur stuff. I understand Hibs is in the blood and all, but by god we are painful and from top to bottom seem to be too soft.

Starting Done (a LW) at RM... I mean, FFS.
Claros on the bench..
Total hoofball from the whole defence.

Stop thinking you've made great progress Pat, be a bit more challenging of yourself and the team, coz what you are serving up the last 3 months, is pitiful.

The Voice Of Reason
12-02-2013, 11:26 AM
Teams have sussed us out. They are happy to let us have a good piece of the ball, they know we don't create anything and we rely on something special from LG.
the 'progress' stuff gets on my tits I have to say, we were SO bad the last 1-2 years, that literally anyone could have came in and made some progress.

Said it on another thread last night, but why oh why Hibs cannot make better use of our full resources (ie. money, facilities) and have a management team and set of players in place, that can perform reasonable football and resemble a 'top' SPL club - I seriously think the fans would get more enjoyment watching junior football or even some amateur stuff. I understand Hibs is in the blood and all, but by god we are painful and from top to bottom seem to be too soft.

Claros on the bench..

Stop thinking you've made great progress Pat, be a bit more challenging of yourself and the team, coz what you are serving up the last 3 months, is pitiful.

Decent post - I agree.

erskine-hibby
12-02-2013, 11:49 AM

Claros on the bench..

Can't argue with that. Nail on the head IMHO

The Sea-gull
12-02-2013, 11:56 AM

Claros on the bench..

Thirded. Find myself agreeing with a lot of that.

hibsmad
12-02-2013, 12:02 PM

Claros on the bench..

This bit in particular baffles me.

I know he has been away but so have a lot of other players who came back and started for their teams at the weekend.

I mean he is literally the one guy in midfield or defence who has technical ability coupled with a football brain, and he doesn't get in the team. Why??

Is it because he can't hoof it as far as the players picked in front of him?

Torto7062
12-02-2013, 07:29 PM
Claros I would think was on the bench due to the amount of time spent travelling.

Hibercelona
12-02-2013, 07:37 PM
Claros I would think was on the bench due to the amount of time spent travelling.

Did he walk back to Scotland?

Tyler Durden
12-02-2013, 09:27 PM

Claros on the bench..

Pretty much standard practice at all levels of football these days.

Obviously last night was terrible but I don't think that was a big factor.

Craig_in_Prague
13-02-2013, 03:13 AM

It was cringeworthy. He got near the bye line and couldnt cross the ball.

Heisenberg
13-02-2013, 07:19 AM

Claros on the bench..

Spot on. We started the season well due to teams not knowing how we'd play and how the new guys would be used. Ever since the Celtc game and probably before teams have known to stop our supply out wide and give us the ball to play with, we've looked totally ****ed for attacking ideas for weeks now. Fenlon needs some fresh ideas in quickly or we'll be finishing nearer the bottom than 2nd place.

MrRobot
13-02-2013, 07:45 AM
Just seems to be a norm for Hibs to play well up until December/January time then start to fall apart, last season aside when we were constantly gash.

IMO we need to start looking beyond the manager and look at the coaching staff. Fenlon for me is 100% the man for Hibs. I do believe we need to replace our fitness coach, our first team coaches and our scouts. Players don't seem fit enough, Cairney and Deegan especially looking really slow and possibly carrying a dew extra pounds.

HTD1875
13-02-2013, 08:08 AM

Standard practice for teams that are set up to play that way for example vine at St Johnstone who is good at cutting inside and shooting with his right foot. Done is not that type of player and neither was sproule if Fenlon wants to play that way he should of brought in players suitable to that position.

basehibby
13-02-2013, 12:49 PM
We played very well against Celtic when beating them 1-0 at ER at the end of December - some people have very poor memories if they can't even remember that.

Makes me wonder if 4-5-1/4-3-3 is the way we should be playing with Doyle and Done out wide. Tried to play 4-4-2 vs St J but were pish.

HibeeN
13-02-2013, 12:58 PM
We played very well against Celtic when beating them 1-0 at ER at the end of December - some people have very poor memories if they can't even remember that.

Makes me wonder if 4-5-1/4-3-3 is the way we should be playing with Doyle and Done out wide. Tried to play 4-4-2 vs St J but were pish.

It's a strange one, because 4-4-2 was working fine earlier in the season. Doyle and Griffiths were linking up very well up top, and Spoony and Cairney were good at getting forward and supporting them. But now it seems like all four of those players have gone off the boil, which is probably one of the reasons we've been struggling for goals recently.

I've no objections to a 4-5-1 as long as we get players forward to support Griffiths. Either Done and Spoony or Done and Doyle out wide with Cairney playing behind Griffiths might be worth a shot.

basehibby
13-02-2013, 01:02 PM

The first bit in bold is demonstrably a load of hot air and horsesheight - if ANYONE could have turned things round then what about the managers who got us into the hole in the first place??? From what you are saying we should have just hung onto CC and saved on compensation as he, along with the cleaning lady for that matter, would have been bound to deliver progress eventually.

The second bit is also over the top (ignoring as it does the odd chink of light that has appeared) but it's fair comment that for most of the last few months the football has been dire and PF needs to turn things round pronto!

Craig_in_Prague
13-02-2013, 02:12 PM
The first bit in bold is demonstrably a load of hot air and horsesheight - if ANYONE could have turned things round then what about the managers who got us into the hole in the first place??? From what you are saying we should have just hung onto CC and saved on compensation as he, along with the cleaning lady for that matter, would have been bound to deliver progress eventually.

The second bit is also over the top (ignoring as it does the odd chink of light that has appeared) but it's fair comment that for most of the last few months the football has been dire and PF needs to turn things round pronto!

you are right, that with our incompetent board (from a footballing point of view) there is no guarentee who they appoint would be better than the last manager, even if the team were nearly relegated and just couldn't win games of football.
However the board should have let CC leave in the summer when we had an offer and then the whole club would be even further forward now than we are, as Pat would have had a full season behind already and would have started the squad building earlier with that summer window available.

It is not OTT (IMHO) and it seems the fans are drifting away bit by bit, so yes he must improve performances pronto.

I just get a bit sick of the word progress, I think Pat himself is maybe too caught up in that and IMO needs to kick some erchies & not accept awful performance after another & accept it "just because we were worse" last season.

It seems some agree with me and that's what msg boards are about - Opinions.

Hibs are meant to be a "top SPL" club, it's about time we had higher standards from a footballing perspective top to bottom at the club.

frazeHFC
13-02-2013, 02:17 PM
Anyone else remember the game, couple of years ago, at home to Motherwell we won 2-0? It was us in a bad patch like we are now but that game they couldn't get out of their own half. We closed them down and battered them, should have been 4/5 goals instead of 2. Always remember that game, this season though there have been a few good performances, mainly Celtic at home, but since then we have been dire (and were before that one since Dundee away too).

hibsmad
13-02-2013, 02:26 PM
Anyone else remember the game, couple of years ago, at home to Motherwell we won 2-0? It was us in a bad patch like we are now but that game they couldn't get out of their own half. We closed them down and battered them, should have been 4/5 goals instead of 2. Always remember that game, this season though there have been a few good performances, mainly Celtic at home, but since then we have been dire (and were before that one since Dundee away too).

Yes, there have been a few games (more this season than last) where we have played well and you think great, this is us really turning the corner now. Especially this season, where it has not only been decent performances but also a feeling of real pride and that the players want to be out there playing for our great club. You feel like we are over the years of complete and utter pish that we have been served up over the last few years.

Then we go one win in eleven. Culminating in Monday nights disaster.

Do you think that fans of other clubs feel like this or is it something special just for us Hibees to enjoy?

frazeHFC
13-02-2013, 02:34 PM
Yes, there have been a few games (more this season than last) where we have played well and you think great, this is us really turning the corner now. Especially this season, where it has not only been decent performances but also a feeling of real pride and that the players want to be out there playing for our great club. You feel like we are over the years of complete and utter pish that we have been served up over the last few years.

Then we go one win in eleven. Culminating in Monday nights disaster.

Do you think that fans of other clubs feel like this or is it something special just for us Hibees to enjoy?

I bet there are fans of other clubs who see pish every week, but for the size of club we are with finances better than most in Scotland, we certainly have the right to moan! :agree:

greenlex
13-02-2013, 02:38 PM
Its a work in progress FFS. Wind yer necks in and back the manager. He is a winner but its gonna take time. Anyone who thinks there is no progress under Fenlon is blind.

basehibby
13-02-2013, 03:14 PM
Its a work in progress FFS. Wind yer necks in and back the manager. He is a winner but its gonna take time. Anyone who thinks there is no progress under Fenlon is blind.

:agree: That's my feeling as well but I can understand the frustration at the recent displays of anti-football - bearable if we're getting results - agony to watch if we're not.

Realistically I never expected much from this season as we clearly lacked attacking options from the start. The excellent form 1st quarter honestly surprised me and right now we're about where I expected us to be. But with the additions of a couple of more attacking midfielders in January I was hopeful of seeing Hibs put teams under a bit more pressure. On Monday PF clearly got the balance wrong - hopefully he gets it right soon or the natives WILL start to get restless.

basehibby
13-02-2013, 03:22 PM
....................I just get a bit sick of the word progress, I think Pat himself is maybe too caught up in that and IMO needs to kick some erchies & not accept awful performance after another & accept it "just because we were worse" last season.

It seems some agree with me and that's what msg boards are about - Opinions.

Hibs are meant to be a "top SPL" club, it's about time we had higher standards from a footballing perspective top to bottom at the club.

Ken what you mean - we have been in a relentless period of transition since 2007 and it's no wonder ST numbers have fallen given the succession of false dawns endured since then. I doubt if PF is as accepting of the situation as you describe though - given his post match comments on Monday I fully expect some erchies will be getting kicked all week down at East Mains.

Craig_in_Prague
13-02-2013, 05:42 PM
Ken what you mean - we have been in a relentless period of transition since 2007 and it's no wonder ST numbers have fallen given the succession of false dawns endured since then. I doubt if PF is as accepting of the situation as you describe though - given his post match comments on Monday I fully expect some erchies will be getting kicked all week down at East Mains.

Dont listen to post match interviews anymore. Always all talk.

I understand a squad needs a bit of building, but football nowadays sees fairly big changes at every club most seasons, we are not a business building up a product etc, but we keep hearing about transition and making progress, when in truth we have usually our best players on short term loans or deals.
I think we are just too soft top to bottom and dont get me wrong I think Pat is doing ok and I have not suggested he needs to go, but for a "winner" some of the performances HIS team have put on have been disgusting, 3 defeats to RC, hardly mustering a shot on goal in many games and has his whole defence just hoofing it long all game.
Sure theres been some positive things,
I am sorry if I expect a wee bit more from my team, I suppose i will sit back instead and enjoy the progress & expect even less from Hibs than I already do.

If he 'progresses' on SC from last season, thatll do nicely haha :-)