PDA

View Full Version : James McPake

lucky
12-02-2013, 07:03 AM
What has happen to our inspirational captain. He's gone from looking like a solid no nonsense centre half to a liability? He was our rock last season but this season he has been poor. It's got to the stage where Hanlon is covering for him. If he is carrying a knock then rest him and try and get him fit. He's gone from the first name on the team sheet to one you could not care if he was playing. Can now see why Coventry were happy to get rid.

erskine-hibby
12-02-2013, 07:19 AM
What has happen to our inspirational captain. He's gone from looking like a solid no nonsense centre half to a liability? He was our rock last season but this season he has been poor. It's got to the stage where Hanlon is covering for him. If he is carrying a knock then rest him and try and get him fit. He's gone from the first name on the team sheet to one you could not care if he was playing. Can now see why Coventry were happy to get rid.

He does need to step up to the plate, I agree, but he also doesn't become a bad player over night. I would say that almost all the squad are having a crisis of confidence, its up to the manager to sort that out.

Hibeesforever
12-02-2013, 08:28 AM
The inability of both McPake and Hanlon to carry the ball forward into space is the root problem for everything!
Each pass the ball sideways. What they should do is drive forward into space, help the midfield by creating extra men and thus allow our "maurading" midfielders to arrive late in the box.
McPake, is too slow and appears not to have enough skill to perform this role. We need a footballing centre half.

Hermit Crab
12-02-2013, 09:05 AM

Careful lucky you'll be accused of being a yam for slagging off our boy James. Said it for weeks now that he's a liability but got shot down in flames. He has at least one big mistake a match (the one at county cost us the game) and needs dropped. Funny how people's minds are changing about him.

down-the-slope
12-02-2013, 09:13 AM

Were it not for him being Captain I can't see that he has justified his place other than a handful of games this season...any other player would expect to be dropped.

I believe a number of the issues we have had at RB (who ever has played there) have been caused by the RB having to 'tuck in' to cover for J McP leaving us exposed out wide

hibs4thecup1988
12-02-2013, 09:20 AM
Dts. Nail firmly hit on the head. Maybury has to tuck in all the time yet maybury gets the stick.

Last night goals number 1+2 imo were down to mcpake.

Where was he when the ball bounced 10 yards out from bens save and then he just let vine waltz into the box and score. Its getting beyond a joke that he is starting. Felt so sorry for hanlon last night thought he had another good game.

The Sea-gull
12-02-2013, 09:27 AM
One of PF's mistakes this season (yes though some won't accept this he has made some and has to take a bit of flack for them) has been his recruitment policy as far as the defence is concerned.

I don't know how he thought he could get through the season with only Clancy, Maybury, McGivern, McPake and Hanlon as recognised defenders in the squad. OK, he has played Stevenson at LB on occasion and he has done ok but Stevenson is essentially a midfielder. The defence has largely done well this season but how long can they be expected to play well if there is no option to rest players and no competition to keep them on their toes.

I know his hands have been tied financially but perhaps if he had spent less time and money trying to sign as many identical midfield players (Taiwo, Deegan and Claros are basically the same player) and brought in another defender or two there would be options to make a change.

Where are the young players? There seems to be no youth players coming through and making any sort of impact. Certainly not in defensive positions.

I like McPake. Not a great footballer but a great battler but he seems to be a bit short of confidence.

I wouldn't mind seeing a different centre half pairing tried out. Either McPake and McGivern with Hanlon at LB or go back to Hanlon and McGivern and rest McPake for a week or two.

Russell The Dug
12-02-2013, 10:37 AM
Clancy and McGivern should be the centre pack pairing. McPake has been shocking recently and looks undroppable.

Headless chicken with no distribution. Hanlons is shocking too.

Clancy was Motherwell's best player at CH last season.

Brooster
12-02-2013, 10:46 AM
Mcpake just kept passing to the right back also known as passing the buck. Time to toughen up.

Hermit Crab
12-02-2013, 10:51 AM
Mcpake just kept passing to the right back also known as passing the buck. Time to toughen up.

The whole team done that last night no ideas once we'd passed the halfway line.

Frazerbob
12-02-2013, 10:53 AM
The lack of goals from our centre halfs is also a problem. A goalless midfield and defence is a huge issue IMO.

CallumHibs07
12-02-2013, 10:55 AM
He's utter *****, drop him.

Heisenberg
12-02-2013, 11:00 AM
He's been pretty awful for most games this season yet Hanlon has been the one more singled out. Seems like Mcpake along with Deegan is undroppable.

Heedersnvolleys
12-02-2013, 11:08 AM
The lack of goals from our centre halfs is also a problem. A goalless midfield and defence is a huge issue IMO.

Totally agree we had our fair share of corners and free kicks into the box last night don't think we one a header yet. Going to get totally slaughtered now slagging off another golden boy but maybe we need to change the delivery? Done wanted to take a corner against Aberdeen but was ushered away by LG. Again maybe we are getting too predictable?

NOLA
12-02-2013, 11:13 AM
We play McPake for his leadership qualities not his footballing qualities, he doesn't look fit either but you could say that about the rest of the team

The_Exile
12-02-2013, 11:22 AM
He's carrying an injury IMO, he looks slower and less dangerous at set pieces etc than last year.

Bobo
12-02-2013, 11:24 AM
Dts. Nail firmly hit on the head. Maybury has to tuck in all the time yet maybury gets the stick.

Last night goals number 1+2 imo were down to mcpake.

Where was he when the ball bounced 10 yards out from bens save and then he just let vine waltz into the box and score. Its getting beyond a joke that he is starting. Felt so sorry for hanlon last night thought he had another good game.

The 2nd goal was down to the simple fact that Hanlon's headed clearance was p!ss poor and just not good enough.

Our defenders all head the ball like little boys and often struggle to clear their own box, last night was no different. It's a trait we've had for far too long. We seriously need two no nonsense centre halves if we want to see any improvement.

hibs4thecup1988
13-02-2013, 12:15 AM
The 2nd goal was down to the simple fact that Hanlon's headed clearance was p!ss poor and just not good enough.

Our defenders all head the ball like little boys and often struggle to clear their own box, last night was no different. It's a trait we've had for far too long. We seriously need two no nonsense centre halves if we want to see any improvement.

I would agree with this. Last time we had any good no nonsense centre half was Jones. Not afraid to head it and look good and also chipped in with goals.

Worrying thing for me is that it seems McPake needs Hibs to be in a battle before he starts rousing the team. It took until Williams saved the penalty for him to even open his mouth. I can't understand a captain that after a goal has his head down. That infuriates me

cabbageandribs1875
13-02-2013, 01:39 AM
Totally agree we had our fair share of corners and free kicks into the box last night don't think we one a header yet. Going to get totally slaughtered now slagging off another golden boy but maybe we need to change the delivery? Done wanted to take a corner against Aberdeen but was ushered away by LG. Again maybe we are getting too predictable?

noticed that at the time :agree: i've said it before but i still cant fathom out why our top goalscorer has the job of taking corners/free-kicks, is there seriously not another player at our club that couldn't be trusted to do these tasks :dunno:

macca70
13-02-2013, 07:29 AM
Think the fact that our defence is left exposed by our midfield doesn't help. If McPake was getting the protection or support from midfield, he wouldn't be so vulnerable. Look at Creggs goal, the last time he scored a goal was when he was with us, that's how long ago it was, who was tracking him from midfield, we made him look like Lampard or Gerrard breaking from midfield.

All 3 goals St J scored were from Midfield. None of the Strikers scored.

Also saying he plays it sideways or distribution is poor isnt fair, his role is a defender not a play maker. look at any decent team and every single time a defender has the ball, at least 1 of the midfielders drops short within 10 yards to take the ball from the defence. We occasionally see this from Claros or Deegan but generally when we need a midfielder to show for the ball and take some responsibility they are hiding nowhere to be seen.

oregonhibby
13-02-2013, 08:18 AM
He has always had an issue with an injury which I imagine is catching up on him. However, despite the recent downturn in form from him and the team as a whole, Hanlon performs better when he is around.

It seems the there is an overall loss of form and that make individuals mistakes look worse.

Maybury is being exposed. He is a good professional but like any if he is left isolated he is going to get caught out.

The game on Monday was really a truer result than the last two against them. The first game at ER showed that they were good going forward and that with luck they could have been 3 up in the first 40 minutes after which we had our first attempt and scored.

The collective loss of form needs sorted in my view.

MWHIBBIES
13-02-2013, 08:28 AM
McPake is a good center back, he has been very good in some games as well as poor in some this season. He was brilliant against Celtic for example.

One thing I would say though is that he isn't doing the basics correctly for some reason, positioning, marking, organizing etc and he has been a bit rash and given away a few penalties as well. I'm happy to give him the benefit of the doubt though because we would be in the first division if it wasn't for him. Hanlon is also a better player when James in playing so he isn't totally useless even when playing poorly. The first two goals weren't really his fault either, 1st was Williams' poor save (I know it was moving but it was a really poor place to palm the ball) and the defense as a whole for not following in. 2nd was an extremely good goal. I seen it on the monitor just after and didn't think there was really anything that could be done to stop it, the guy barely had a yard and it was a brilliant finish. I also don't think Done helped by not tacking Davidson and giving Maybury a problem.

McPake doesn't make one big mistake a game either, plenty of games where he has not made one than in which he has this season.

Griffiths seems to have got off pretty lightly from Mondays debacle, was much poorer than McPake IMO despite his well taken goal.

MWHIBBIES
13-02-2013, 08:30 AM
Think the fact that our defence is left exposed by our midfield doesn't help. If McPake was getting the protection or support from midfield, he wouldn't be so vulnerable. Look at Creggs goal, the last time he scored a goal was when he was with us, that's how long ago it was, who was tracking him from midfield, we made him look like Lampard or Gerrard breaking from midfield.

All 3 goals St J scored were from Midfield. None of the Strikers scored.

Also saying he plays it sideways or distribution is poor isnt fair, his role is a defender not a play maker. look at any decent team and every single time a defender has the ball, at least 1 of the midfielders drops short within 10 yards to take the ball from the defence. We occasionally see this from Claros or Deegan but generally when we need a midfielder to show for the ball and take some responsibility they are hiding nowhere to be seen.This bothered me a bit as well, out midfield really should have been tracking Cregg for their 3rd goal and certainly for the penalty incident. Done didn't give Maybury much help for the first 2 either.

Pretty Boy
13-02-2013, 08:38 AM
He might be a good battler, although even thats been debatable at times this season, but i've never seen a centre back with such a piss poor ability when it comes to reading a game.

So many of the last ditch tackles that people seem to think make a good defender are because he was so poorly positioned originally he had to make the tackle to cover his own mistake.

He makes defending look difficult and thats generally a sign of a poor defender.

Scouse Hibee
13-02-2013, 09:57 AM
We play McPake for his leadership qualities not his footballing qualities, he doesn't look fit either but you could say that about the rest of the team

That's a good one, leading by example would explain the performance of the rest of the team then!

McPake came into the team at a point when the defence looked an absolute shambles, he had a few decent games and backed that up by making all the right noises off the pitch. Instantly he became labelled our inspirational captain,leader,and overall heart on his sleeve Hibee and the best thing since sliced bread. Once you have achieved that tag it seems you can be forgiven all evils in the eyes of some regardless of the reality of your performances.
The fact is if he could perform consistantly to the level he has achieved in those few games he wouldn't be with us, he's an average centre half who has for now the majority of fans on his side.

J-C
13-02-2013, 10:03 AM
Can some of the stato's out there tell me, were we better when McPake was injured and McGivern/Hanlon were our pairing.

jdships
13-02-2013, 10:04 AM
Since the first time I saw McPake have felt he has limitations as to his reading of a game and do not believe he has improved over the past two seasons . ( have posted this before)
Good squad player but not a 'first XI regular ' for me
:flag:

Golden Bear
13-02-2013, 10:05 AM
Opinions can change over a period of time.

During the summer we all agreed that it was an absolute priority that McPake should be signed on a permanent deal as he'd proven himself to be an excellent player and an inspirational Captain.

Hopefully he'll recapture these qualities and quickly.

LeighLoyal
13-02-2013, 10:06 AM
Would we rather have O'Hanlon back? :confused:

CorrieHibs
13-02-2013, 10:07 AM
Careful lucky you'll be accused of being a yam for slagging off our boy James. Said it for weeks now that he's a liability but got shot down in flames. He has at least one big mistake a match (the one at county cost us the game) and needs dropped. Funny how people's minds are changing about him.

I said he was overrated at the start of the season and got shot down in flames. Nice to see others seeing it now. Last season he was ok, what he had was loads of passion and fans bought in to it. He was never a solid defender though. His positioning and decision making is poor. I'll say it again he was at fault for at least 2 of the goals in that game in May

CorrieHibs
13-02-2013, 10:09 AM

Mcgivern at centre back and Stevenson at left back. Never going to happen though!

Scouse Hibee
13-02-2013, 10:23 AM

Well thought out response. It's no wonder you're confused.

NorthNorfolkHFC
13-02-2013, 10:40 AM
Stevenson, nah. Time and time again shows he's not good enough, great trier with great attitude but no thanks. Much rather recall S Smith and play him at LB with McGivern at CH.

hungryhibs
13-02-2013, 11:06 AM
never looked like he was interested dose not try get the players lifted drop him see if that changes his attitude

Diclonius
13-02-2013, 11:54 AM
Guys, you do realise the defence had conceded 2 in 6 before Monday night?

J-C
13-02-2013, 12:24 PM

How many penalties conceded in that time, plus seriously overran and carrying huge amounts of luck on the way.

We sit far too deep, allowing teams onto us, then it's all hands on deck as we through our bodies on the line to stop umpteen shoots from raining in.

Mikey
13-02-2013, 12:32 PM
Careful lucky you'll be accused of being a yam for slagging off our boy James.

You were pulled up by several people for giving him a childish nickname, not for criticising him.

And fine you know it.

NorthNorfolkHFC
13-02-2013, 02:10 PM
Out defence is fine. It's the rest of our team that is murder.

There are occasions where our strikers and midfield must chase and position themselves better.

Griffiths is a prime example of this, there is no denying his ability to strike a ball. However he does not defend from the front, yes he does chase as and when he wants but on most occasions it's headless chicken stuff. Lets not mention his first touch either, he is unable of keeping the ball.

So I don't think our defence are entirely to blame.

Baldy Foghorn
13-02-2013, 03:39 PM
I said he was overrated at the start of the season and got shot down in flames. Nice to see others seeing it now. Last season he was ok, what he had was loads of passion and fans bought in to it. He was never a solid defender though. His positioning and decision making is poor. I'll say it again he was at fault for at least 2 of the goals in that game in May

Surely you must see the irony, in calling a current player over-rated, given your monicker....LM fitted that bill well too:greengrin

greenlex
13-02-2013, 03:46 PM
How many penalties conceded in that time, plus seriously overran and carrying huge amounts of luck on the way.

We sit far too deep, allowing teams onto us, then it's all hands on deck as we through our bodies on the line to stop umpteen shoots from raining in.
The last three Penalties were very very soft indeed. Either no or little contact and all debatable and all saved in any case.(i know that was part of your point) The facts are we don't concede easily over the piece with a few games the exception where we go off our heads.

S.sct
13-02-2013, 04:18 PM
McPake is a good center back, he has been very good in some games as well as poor in some this season. He was brilliant against Celtic for example.

One thing I would say though is that he isn't doing the basics correctly for some reason, positioning, marking, organizing etc and he has been a bit rash and given away a few penalties as well. I'm happy to give him the benefit of the doubt though because we would be in the first division if it wasn't for him. Hanlon is also a better player when James in playing so he isn't totally useless even when playing poorly. The first two goals weren't really his fault either, 1st was Williams' poor save (I oknow it was moving but it was a really poor place to palm the ball) and the defense as a whole for not following in. 2nd was an extremely good goal. I seen it on the monitor just after and didn't think there was really anything that could be done to stop it, the guy barely had a yard and it was a brilliant finish. I also don't think Done helped by not tacking Davidson and giving Maybury a problem.

McPake doesn't make one big mistake a game either, plenty of games where he has not made one than in which he has this season.

Griffiths seems to have got off pretty lightly from Mondays debacle, was much poorer than McPake IMO despite his well taken goal.

No/ poor service. LG is a goal scorer and will do if he gets the service in and around the box. He's been working off scraps for a good few weeks now.

NorthNorfolkHFC
13-02-2013, 06:47 PM
No/ poor service. LG is a goal scorer and will do if he gets the service in and around the box. He's been working off scraps for a good few weeks now.

Not true. Leigh griffiths can and will score goals as he can strike a football but he also has many downsides to his play!

Hermit Crab
13-02-2013, 08:26 PM
You were pulled up by several people for giving him a childish nickname, not for criticising him.

And fine you know it.

Seems like I'm not the only one with that opinion judging by this thread.

edwards
13-02-2013, 08:31 PM

Spot on WTF are you all on Mcpake and the rest of the defence over the past few weeks have been outstanding especially McPake as well as Hanlon and Mcgivern, they had a bad night against St Johnstone.
They are by far the best part of the team along with Williams, if we are lacking in any areas then lets point a finger if you want at our midfield, how many goals have they scored between them. [not enough goals coming from this area]
I feel certain players have went off the boil which has been a set back, Doyle, Wotherspoon, Cairney, Clancy and McPake were out longer which was the start of our set backs.
Get a grip eh

edwards
13-02-2013, 08:45 PM

Ye really need to get to spec savers overrated WTF one of the best defenders we have had since Rob Jones,Hanlon has improved alongside him and Mcgivern and Clancy are by far the best part of the team along with Mr Williams.
If we are looking at players games who have took a turn for the worse then lets include Wotherspoon, Doyle and possibly Cairney, Kuqi has been a non starter and just taking a wage.
Lets include our midfield how many goals have they got between them, eh Deegan scored in the cup and apart from Wotherspoon scoring a few earlier on their contribution has been poor.
It was a really bad night get over it.

edwards
13-02-2013, 08:49 PM
Oops my sincere apologies didn't think the first post had taken but sure you understand what I mean.

Northernhibee
13-02-2013, 08:52 PM
Ye really need to get to spec savers overrated WTF one of the best defenders we have had since Rob Jones,Hanlon has improved alongside him and Mcgivern and Clancy are by far the best part of the team along with Mr Williams.
If we are looking at players games who have took a turn for the worse then lets include Wotherspoon, Doyle and possibly Cairney, Kuqi has been a non starter and just taking a wage.
Lets include our midfield how many goals have they got between them, eh Deegan scored in the cup and apart from Wotherspoon scoring a few earlier on their contribution has been poor.
It was a really bad night get over it.

McPake's been making at least one big mistake per game. He's been woeful recently, and as much as I like his spirit he's really got to pull his socks up big time.

edwards
13-02-2013, 08:59 PM
McPake's been making at least one big mistake per game. He's been woeful recently, and as much as I like his spirit he's really got to pull his socks up big time.

Jesus northern one mistake if we were to count how many times our midfield lost possesion of the ball or made bad passes and how many Doyle put wide over the bar or past the post or their close control losing possesion they would far outwiegh any mistakes mad in defence, lets cut them a bit of slack.

Hermit Crab
13-02-2013, 09:01 PM

I said that 2 weeks ago and go slated, cost us the game at county away. I did add on the name James Mistake which hit a nerve on another thread. :slipper:

jdships
13-02-2013, 09:24 PM
I said that 2 weeks ago and go slated, cost us the game at county away. I did add on the name James Mistake which hit a nerve on another thread. :slipper:

Agree with that 100%
OK defence only lost 2 in 6 but at the same time McPake was making errors of judgement .
Sorry to say I have never been convinced he was a 'great' No 5
Then like all the posts it is just a matter of posters voicing THEIR opinions .
As always the Managers opinion is the only one that really matters in the final analysis !! :greengrin::wink:

Hibeesforever
13-02-2013, 09:24 PM
[QUOTE=M

Griffiths is a prime example of this, there is no denying his ability to strike a ball. However he does not defend from the front, yes he does chase as and when he wants but on most occasions it's headless chicken stuff. Lets not mention his first touch either, he is unable of keeping the ball.

Griffiths does have geninue class. He is the only player in the team who can actually strike the ball properly. Don't say Deegan can, I watched him hit five shots in a row wide and over the bar before Monday's game!

However, Griffiths is not a true centre-forward. I have not seen him once make a run into the channel to give an outlet to the left or right back. He always comes short to feet. Griffiths does not seem to be able to head a ball, so good luck playing with wingers and getting crosses in.

Doyle, similarly is just not up to leading the line. He looks to Griffiths first to see what his run is, not the sign of a true striker with instinct. By the time he decides on his run, the chance is lost.

Agree, that neither of our strikers hold the ball up well, they certainly do not link well together playing 1-2s for example.

I have commented on McPake. He sits too deep and does not carry the ball forward into the midfield. As above, last ditch tackles indicate poor timing and positioning.

I am heading to St. Mirren and will be demanding improvement.

:flag:

Hermit Crab
13-02-2013, 09:55 PM
Agree with that 100%
OK defence only lost 2 in 6 but at the same time McPake was making errors of judgement .
Sorry to say I have never been convinced he was a 'great' No 5
Then like all the posts it is just a matter of posters voicing THEIR opinions .
As always the Managers opinion is the only one that really matters in the final analysis !! :greengrin::wink:

Freedom of speech and all that.

marinello59
13-02-2013, 10:02 PM

:faf:

jdships
13-02-2013, 10:42 PM

Exactly as it should be in a democratic country populated by intelligent people :greengrin:wink:

Hermit Crab
13-02-2013, 10:48 PM
Exactly as it should be in a democratic country populated by intelligent people :greengrin:wink:

:aok:

allezsauzee
14-02-2013, 08:16 AM
Our problems do not stem from the central defence area. It's out sheer lack of creativity and reliance on Leigh Griffiths to score that is the problem.

blackpoolhibs
14-02-2013, 08:23 AM
We normally defend reasonably well, our goals against column is much better, but on Monday our midfield went missing and our front 2 disappeared too.

That caused our defense to look bad at times, and to be fair none of them stood up to the plate and dragged us into the game?

We were all poor on Monday, big improvement needed for the weekend.

Heisenberg
14-02-2013, 08:25 AM
Our problems do not stem from the central defence area. It's out sheer lack of creativity and reliance on Leigh Griffiths to score that is the problem.

Which is why Paul Cairney not getting a game in behind the strikers is so annoying, he's the only midfielder we have who can play an incisive forward thinking pass. The rest only deal in strictly sideways or backwards passing.

MWHIBBIES
14-02-2013, 08:36 AM
Which is why Paul Cairney not getting a game in behind the strikers is so annoying, he's the only midfielder we have who can play an incisive forward thinking pass. The rest only deal in strictly sideways or backwards passing.This has happened more than once this season, Motherwell away being the best example.

lucky
14-02-2013, 08:40 AM
The point of this thread was about how poor our captain had been this season compared to last. He now seems to struggle in his aerial battle every week and his distribution is always sideways except for County away when he tried to dribble out and lost the ball which lead to the goal. I'm not blaming him on the terrible style of football or 1 win in 10 in the SPL but his performance has dropped considerably and he no longer seems to be the inspirational leader he was last year.

Heisenberg
14-02-2013, 09:03 AM
This has happened more than once this season, Motherwell away being the best example.

Yep and it's worked well. I thought we'd signed Done so Cairney could shift into the middle, clearly not what Paddy was thinking though.

Finbar
14-02-2013, 09:23 AM
The midfield have to actually put in a tackle now and then or the defence are going to be left exposed and wll look bad. At the start of the season they were closing down well and tackling the player, now they've gone back to the way it's been for years, just looking like they're trying to close down but they don't. Watch the frst goal against SJ, no real commitment to win the ball and stop the player.

pontius pilate
14-02-2013, 10:11 AM
I honestly believe that Deegan hasn't been the same since injury Claros and Taiwo together was a better mid fuels pairing. The same could be said for Mcpake since he has come back from injury he has got worse I'd prob go with Clancy/ Hanlon/ Mcgivern/Maybury as the back four. Too many players are thinking they are untouchable because we don't have the strength in depth changes need to be made. But I also believe an arm around the shoulder and a confidence boosting word in the ear can work as well.