PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on tonight

Monts
11-02-2013, 08:41 PM
Done did well with no support. Always had two guys on him and nothing to aim at. Robertson did ok, but no different to the rest of the midfield. Same old tactics. Needs to change as we don't have the players to play it. Needs a big striker and a creative midfielder. We have neither.

bathhibby
11-02-2013, 08:46 PM
Done did well with no support. Always had two guys on him and nothing to aim at. Robertson did ok, but no different to the rest of the midfield. Same old tactics. Needs to change as we don't have the players to play it. Needs a big striker and a creative midfielder. We have neither.
Maybury needs to go - he is simply over the hill
Let the boy Vone run riot

IberianHibernian
11-02-2013, 08:51 PM
Done did well with no support. Always had two guys on him and nothing to aim at. Robertson did ok, but no different to the rest of the midfield. Same old tactics. Needs to change as we don't have the players to play it. Needs a big striker and a creative midfielder. We have neither.For first time this season there seemed to be some good options on the bench but I agree Fenlon still doesn`t have a good enough squad and hopefully new players are targetted for next season especially in the positions you mention . Thought Robertson was poor especially in first half but needs matches so was given time ahead of Claros and Deegan .

Bobo
11-02-2013, 08:51 PM
No pace, strength, ability, tactics, threat or points....... becoming too a regular occurrence!

Johnny_Leith
11-02-2013, 08:54 PM
St J's looked well organised, great going forward, fought for everything and really wanted that win. Was impressed with their number 21 who looked a tidy player.

We were the complete opposite. We keep bringing in has beens and players with no hunger and it shows.

Pretty Boy
11-02-2013, 08:54 PM
Biggest problem is the complete lack of movement going forward.

Look at St Johnstones 3rd goal, 3 passes to men running on to the ball and compare that to the 33 passes we made to nowhere just before.

lord bunberry
11-02-2013, 08:55 PM
I thought for the 1st time in a few weeks we defended poorly. Our lack of goals lately is concerning and the midfield needs to get further up the pitch to support the strikers

Jim44
11-02-2013, 08:56 PM
Maybury needs to go - he is simply over the hill
Let the boy Vone run riot

Maybury has been gash all season and is a very lucky guy to continue to be a first pick at right back. He's had his chips as far as I'm concerned.

matty_f
11-02-2013, 08:59 PM
That was indefensible tonight. Utter garbage. St Johnstone were still hungrier than us even when they were 3-0 up.

Thecat23
11-02-2013, 09:00 PM
Here's my thoughts.. Finished work early to see my wee boy before the game. Again sacrificing spending time as a family when the game was on tv but still want to give my support to Hibs. It was ****ing Baltic yet a few thousand still went. We have been grim for a while but again thousands still went. Will I be this stupid again on a week night? No chance! Why should I bother turning up when the team can't be bothered too! So my thoughts are.... They can go **** themselves.

HibeeN
11-02-2013, 09:02 PM
Maybury has been gash all season and is a very lucky guy to continue to be a first pick at right back. He's had his chips as far as I'm concerned.

He's not a first pick at right back, Clancy is. I agree he was poor tonight, but don't know who else you would use for cover when Clancy is out injured.

Hibby 2005
11-02-2013, 09:02 PM
Predictable sums it up for me. That and shoogly peg.

inglisavhibs
11-02-2013, 09:03 PM
No pace, strength, ability, tactics, threat or points....... becoming too a regular occurrence!
Sad to say, that,s the truth. We sit before every game and wonder when our first meaningful attack will happen, invariably it takes around half an hour. We hav no method of getting forward. None of our forwards can keep the ball under pressure and we have no full back/wide player attacking options so it leaves us trying to pass through teams and we are nowhere near good enough to do that. I can,t remember a game recently where we have been the better team and on current form we are probably the worst team in the league.

Jim44
11-02-2013, 09:05 PM
He's not a first pick at right back, Clancy is. I agree he was poor tonight, but don't know who else you would use for cover when Clancy is out injured.

He's not a kick in the butt off first choice but I'm splitting hairs and it's neither here nor there. The fact remains that he is one of the weakest links in a very poor team.

Brightside
11-02-2013, 09:12 PM
Done and Hanlon would maybe get 4 out of 10. I'd struggle to award points to any other outfield player. Really really rubbish, and as others have said if you watched that in an amateur game you'd be embarrassed. Far too many excuses. Other teams are simply hungrier, fitter and stronger. This league we play in has very little skill involved but a little bit of fight will win most games. We had NOTHING tonight.

Bostonhibby
11-02-2013, 09:12 PM
Dire, but its been coming as we basically play the same way all the time and clever quick teams work it out, nullify Griffiths and play round us once they pick up the high ball we usually resort to - like St. J did tonight. We must play more passes across the middle or backwards than any other team in the league, hopefully Done will give us a wee bit more penetration.......really cant bring myself to say anything more about any of the others tonight.

We have been pinching results on the back of good goalkeeping and defending, defending tonight was awful.

Heffernan at Killie gave us a torrid time in the league so worried about what Hibs team will turn up for the cup game.

Speedy
11-02-2013, 09:14 PM

Unfortunately we don't have many other options.

11-02-2013, 09:19 PM
St Johnston were well organised, did the simple things right and stuck to their game plan and we simply couldn't handle it. One of the worse performances i've seen this season, we just didn't turn up today, far too many sloppy passes.

EastCalderHibby
11-02-2013, 09:21 PM
that was indefensible tonight. Utter garbage. St johnstone were still hungrier than us even when they were 3-0 up.

why do we never press anymore

number9dream
11-02-2013, 09:22 PM
No energy, no pace, no one that can pick a pass.
We did nothing to trouble a Saints defence missing a few regulars.
Doyle needs to be dropped, not put on the wing.
Try Cairney at the top of a midfield diamond, with Done or Handling playing beside Griffiths.
Very worried about Saturday...

Seekyit
11-02-2013, 09:32 PM
Why not play Wotherspoon at right back if Clancy's injured? I know people said he wasn't really a right back but he wasn't bad. That's over three years ago, when he had all this "potential". He'd get up and down the park. :dunno:

allezsauzee
11-02-2013, 09:35 PM
He's not a kick in the butt off first choice but I'm splitting hairs and it's neither here nor there. The fact remains that he is one of the weakest links in a very poor team.

Clancy is first choice when he's 90% fit never mind 100%. The thing that bothers me is that there are not really any young players who are serious deputies to the likes of Clancy when he is injured. It should be a young lad coming through to cover rather than someone who is probably in his final season as a professional.

hibees 7062
11-02-2013, 09:38 PM
St Johnston were well organised, did the simple things right and stuck to their game plan and we simply couldn't handle it. One of the worse performances i've seen this season, we just didn't turn up today, far too many sloppy passes.

This , every attack they had 5 players in our box , we only had one with no midfielders pressing . Why on earth is our top scorer taking corners and not in the box ?

lucky
11-02-2013, 09:42 PM
First 20 minutes Hibs were the better side. They then score with a squiggler. They then got a break of the ball for the second and then dominated the game. Pass marks to Williams, and Hanlon. Bit the rest were terrible especially McPake and Robertson.

Eyrie
11-02-2013, 09:43 PM
This , every attack they had 5 players in our box , we only had one with no midfielders pressing . Why on earth is our top scorer taking corners and not in the box ?

Becasuse he has a decent delivery and is no use in the air.

Sir David Gray
11-02-2013, 09:51 PM
Absolutely horrendous performance.

We showed absolutely no urgency until we scored with 8 minutes to go. That sums up what happened tonight in a nutshell, I don't think much else needs to be said.

We played at a snail's pace, it was boring, predictable stuff for almost the whole match, that was so easy to play against. St Johnstone mopped up everything at the back because, once again, we were playing hopeless balls up to Griffiths when he had two men on him. The midfield showed no creativity until Claros and Cairney came on and the only player to come out with any sort of credit was Matt Done, who I thought looked quite lively.

Awful stuff and our lack of goals is starting to become a real worry. Not only are we now failing to score many goals, we're not carrying much of a threat these days either.

Eye bleeding.

The Voice Of Reason
11-02-2013, 09:56 PM
Absolutely horrendous performance.

We showed absolutely no urgency until we scored with 8 minutes to go. That sums up what happened tonight in a nutshell, I don't think much else needs to be said.

We played at a snail's pace, it was boring, predictable stuff for almost the whole match, that was so easy to play against. St Johnstone mopped up everything at the back because, once again, we were playing hopeless balls up to Griffiths when he had two men on him. The midfield showed no creativity until Claros and Cairney came on and the only player to come out with any sort of credit was Matt Done, who I thought looked quite lively.

Awful stuff and our lack of goals is starting to become a real worry. Not only are we now failing to score many goals, we're not carrying much of a threat these days either.

Eye bleeding.

I agree with all of this (sadly) :boo hoo:

NAE NOOKIE
11-02-2013, 10:03 PM
That has been coming since Christmas. We have covered up our ineptitude since then by getting some OK results in games we should have lost or narrow defeats in games we did nothing in.

Tonight we were so poor its hard to begin to try and express just how bad we were.

I dont know why I bother any more ...... I cant think of a single team we would have beaten tonight.

What a joke.

hibees 7062
11-02-2013, 10:11 PM
Becasuse he has a decent delivery and is no use in the air.

Good on the ground though , he needs to be in amongst it

Time For Heroes
11-02-2013, 10:20 PM
:******:

Mango Man
11-02-2013, 10:36 PM
It looked like there was about 14 St J players on the pitch, that's how dominate they were, it's been like that a lot this season, in fact for about the last 5 years it's been like this, what happened to coming out the traps flying, chasing everything down, pressing higher up the park, making a simple pass and moving for it, more shots on goal, it really isn't that much to ask, it's the basics of football, every other SPL team always seem to be more balanced from defence to attack.

Horrible sport is football.

The Harp Awakes
11-02-2013, 10:37 PM
First 20 minutes Hibs were the better side. They then score with a squiggler. They then got a break of the ball for the second and then dominated the game. Pass marks to Williams, and Hanlon. Bit the rest were terrible especially McPake and Robertson.

The most sensible post I've read on here tonight. St Johnstone scored with their first chance and against the run of play. Doyle missed a good chance seconds before that goal. After that we were well and truly dire. The amount of times McGivern came across the half away line in the 2nd half and there was no movement whatsoever ahead or inside him, and every time he had to turn back.

Doyle in particular had an absolutely honking game and Williams, Hanlon, Done and Claros when he came on, were the only ones who got anywhere near pass marks. Griffiths at least showed a bit of desire and took his goal well. Robertson looked lost to me in a very deep midfield role. His strength with Dundee United was in getting from box to box and scoring goals - he barely crossed the half way line tonight:confused:

HFC 0-7
11-02-2013, 10:55 PM
We were rank, even in the first 20 mins when we had some of the ball we still didn't move the ball well. Tactics and team choice were suspect today, we didn't look like we had given any thought of how to move the ball forward, unless that thought was to punt it. Lost count of the times a hibs player was standing with the ball , arms out to the side as no ne was showing for a pass. 4 changes from the team that beat Aberdeen, Stevenson played on 3 positions today, I got the feeling that Fenlon was panicking a bit today. I don't think anyone played well today, but I definitely got the feeling that players didn't know what they were supposed to be doing, position wise.

This has been on the cards for a few games now. Aberdeen away was a sign, they had plenty opportunities but couldn't convert, st Johnstone could and they punished us.

Hibby 2005
11-02-2013, 10:59 PM
The most sensible post I've read on here tonight. St Johnstone scored with their first chance and against the run of play. Doyle missed a good chance seconds before that goal. After that we were well and truly dire. The amount of times McGivern came across the half away line in the 2nd half and there was no movement whatsoever ahead or inside him, and every time he had to turn back.

Doyle in particular had an absolutely honking game and Williams, Hanlon, Done and Claros when he came on, were the only ones who got anywhere near pass marks. Griffiths at least showed a bit of desire and took his goal well. Robertson looked lost to me in a very deep midfield role. His strength with Dundee United was in getting from box to box and scoring goals - he barely crossed the half way line tonight:confused:

Doyle's "good chance" was pretty much our only attempt at goal in the first half and we hardly had the run of play unless you're counting the number of punts up the park which we certainly had more of.

Fenlon has lost his way, just like the team has, and until he can fathom out a way forward we're going to have to rely on a bit of luck in the Cup to salvage anything from this season.