PDA

View Full Version : 4-4-2 v 4-5-1

GreenOnions
11-02-2013, 09:24 PM
I don't think I've ever see a football team play as many long aimless high balls as Hibs did tonight.

I don't think we have enough quality in midfield to allow ourselves to be outnumbered in that area. It appears that our players don't trust each other enough to pass the ball through the midfield and are just launching it long time after time.

I'm afraid it needs to be 4-5-1 for me until we have better players for midfield. Why Claros didn't start tonight I will never know as he was the only one who actually tried to pass the ball properly.

Heisenberg
11-02-2013, 09:26 PM
451 means we at least keep teams out better.

Wotherspiniesta
11-02-2013, 09:30 PM
Why the sudden changes in tactics though? We were playing some decent football near the start of the season when we were knocking the ball around. Claros can pass the ball well, Done looks good with the ball at his feet. Robertson is a decent passer. Cairney is better with the ball on the deck. We should try playing the ball through midfield a little more. If we're going to persist with these long ball tactics, we'd be aswell sticking James McPake up front!

Leishy1995
11-02-2013, 09:40 PM
4-5-1 isn't as negative as people on this website claim. It is used by many of the best teams in the world.

We play better with it. Doyle isn't a striker. Play him in right wing, Done left wing, or central players should be two holding players and 1 of the striker (Cairney)

And someone tell Hanlon to retain possession not hoof it every time.

J-C
11-02-2013, 09:43 PM
4-5-1 isn't as negative as people on this website claim. It is used by many of the best teams in the world.

We play better with it. Doyle isn't a striker. Play him in right wing, Done left wing, or central players should be two holding players and 1 of the striker (Cairney)

4-5-1
Williams

Maybury
McPAke
hanlon
McGivern

Claros DM

Cairney CM
Robertson CM

Doyle RW

Griffiths

Done LW

Greendub
11-02-2013, 09:44 PM
I think teams have sussed us out.

There are a lot of things that need addressed but these will take time, something a fair few of our supporters don't seem to want to give.

We need to get behind the team, every game, win or lose!

The last thing we need is the manager out pish

R'Albin
11-02-2013, 09:45 PM
We shouldn't be playing 4-5-1 against any side besides Celtic. 4-2-3-1 is what we should be going for IMO, as long as it isn't a 'John McGlynn 4-2-3-1' of course.

GoldenEagle
11-02-2013, 09:47 PM
5-5-0. Keep it tight and hope for a point or pens in the cup.

adhibs
11-02-2013, 09:49 PM
Why the sudden changes in tactics though? We were playing some decent football near the start of the season when we were knocking the ball around. Claros can pass the ball well, Done looks good with the ball at his feet. Robertson is a decent passer. Cairney is better with the ball on the deck. We should try playing the ball through midfield a little more. If we're going to persist with these long ball tactics, we'd be aswell sticking James McPake up front!

I cant get my head round it either. fair enough we scraped quite a few results and were far fropm brilliant but i was turning up every week and guranteed to see at least 2 hibs goals. lucky if we have 2 shots on target nowadays

neil7908
11-02-2013, 10:05 PM

I never want to see Hibs playing 4-5-1, certainly not at home anyway but frankly after watching that I think it might be the way forward this season anyway. A well balanced midfield 5 can actually be quite attacking and provide a bit of protection to what is clearly a very creaky defence. I would really like to see our full backs getting forward a bit more awell, there were times when I was screaming at McGiven to make a run forward and at least have a go. He's done it before and looked decent enough attacking but seems very reluctant at times.

What is pretty clear to me is that without Claros in the team no one in midfield can pass a ball. He's really vital to the running of our side.

I disagree about Hanlon though, I though out of our back 4 he was probably the best passer of a ball. Not exactly a big endorsement of him but certainly made more successfull forward passes than McPake, Maybury, Stevenson or McGiven did this evening.

down-the-slope
11-02-2013, 10:14 PM
St J played 4-5-1 and horsed us (having a forward who can play with back to goal being key)....4 or 5 nil would have been a fairer reflection. We have no idea hoe to play / break down teams who play this way....and when like St J they have pace in the 2 wider players of the 5 (4-3-3 when breaking) we get beaten on the break...

Add to being out fought / out jumped / better quality in key positions and there is only going to be 1 result.

ancient hibee
11-02-2013, 10:21 PM
Wouldn't have Cairney anywhere near the team-not even fit never mind capable-lost the ball practically every time he had it-should be offloaded at the end of the season.

allezsauzee
11-02-2013, 10:45 PM
Wouldn't have Cairney anywhere near the team-not even fit never mind capable-lost the ball practically every time he had it-should be offloaded at the end of the season.

One of the reasons we've stopped winning games is that Cairney has gone off the boil. He is one of the few players capable of creating. You don't just offload a player as soon as he has a drop in form, you'd be unlikely to keep any player for more than a season or two.

hihohibby
11-02-2013, 10:48 PM
4-4-2 or 4-5-1 or any other permutation...It doesn't matter a jot if the players are incapable of executing a successful game plan. Tonight was a classic example of a shape that did not work...again!! Players were all over the place, each as bewildered as the other as to what to do. What was the backline shape when the Saints player had not one but two attempts at putting the ball in our net? I for one could see no shape. Just a collection of disjointed guys standing miles off the solitary Saints striker.

gillythehibby
11-02-2013, 11:04 PM
The boy robertson not at the races. Looked clueless. As for doyle.... not good enough for hibs. Bad night all round. Nuff said.

Leishy1995
12-02-2013, 01:41 AM
I never want to see Hibs playing 4-5-1, certainly not at home anyway but frankly after watching that I think it might be the way forward this season anyway. A well balanced midfield 5 can actually be quite attacking and provide a bit of protection to what is clearly a very creaky defence. I would really like to see our full backs getting forward a bit more awell, there were times when I was screaming at McGiven to make a run forward and at least have a go. He's done it before and looked decent enough attacking but seems very reluctant at times.

What is pretty clear to me is that without Claros in the team no one in midfield can pass a ball. He's really vital to the running of our side.

I disagree about Hanlon though, I though out of our back 4 he was probably the best passer of a ball. Not exactly a big endorsement of him but certainly made more successfull forward passes than McPake, Maybury, Stevenson or McGiven did this evening.

4-5-1 variations are the most successful formations for modern football teams.

Full backs IMO should always be going forward, it's a part of the job.

Claros is the heartbeat in our midfield.

Hanlon throughout his career in the first team has punted it up to strikers who have consistently been unable to win headers. I refuse to believe the other defenders gave the ball away more than him this season.

Most 4-5-1 formations are more 4-2-3-1 nowadays. A Man City 2012 style would be my preferred option due to the freedom their attacking 3 had.