PDA

View Full Version : Lewis Stevenson.

blackpoolhibs
11-02-2013, 03:38 PM
I'm pretty much convinced he should start for us tonight, he's been good in virtually every game he's played this season, the problem i have is where?

If McGivern is fit then he will play left back, Done has surely not been brought to the club as a back up left sided midfielder, and Claros and Deegan have made the middle of the midfield theirs.

Stevenson has completely changed my opinion of him, he's never let us done this year, and quite often been one of the better players, yet there does not seem to be a slot for him.

Strength in depth is better i suppose, but he must be frustrated at not getting in?

Leishy1995
11-02-2013, 03:43 PM
As I said on the team thread, I'd have him as the box to box midfielder, his ability on the ball was very impressive whilst running at the Aberdeen players. I'd like to see more of that tonight.

LancashireHibby
11-02-2013, 03:44 PM
Problem he's got is that he performs best in midfield, but his best chance of a spot is at left back (with McGivern moving to centre back).

GreenPJ
11-02-2013, 03:48 PM
Play him instead of Deegan.

Golden Bear
11-02-2013, 03:50 PM
As I said on the team thread, I'd have him as the box to box midfielder, his ability on the ball was very impressive whilst running at the Aberdeen players. I'd like to see more of that tonight.

:agree:

Correct.

Andy74
11-02-2013, 03:50 PM
Play him instead of Deegan.

Or maybe not.

Stevenson deserves a game but Deegan is a step or two above. Deegan will be one of the first names on the teamsheet.

Speedway
11-02-2013, 03:54 PM
I'm pretty much convinced he should start for us tonight, he's been good in virtually every game he's played this season, the problem i have is where?

If McGivern is fit then he will play left back, Done has surely not been brought to the club as a back up left sided midfielder, and Claros and Deegan have made the middle of the midfield theirs.

Stevenson has completely changed my opinion of him, he's never let us done this year, and quite often been one of the better players, yet there does not seem to be a slot for him.

Strength in depth is better i suppose, but he must be frustrated at not getting in?

I'm pretty much convinced he shouldn't start for us tonight, he's been average in virtually every game he's played this season, the problem i have is his entire career at Hibs.

Stevenson has completely maintained my opinion of him, he's always let us down throughout his time at the club, and quite often been one of the worst players, so there does not seem to be a slot for him.

Strength in depth is better i suppose, but we must not care if he's be frustrated at not getting in

Golden Bear
11-02-2013, 03:58 PM
I'm pretty much convinced he shouldn't start for us tonight, he's been average in virtually every game he's played this season, the problem i have is his entire career at Hibs.

Stevenson has completely maintained my opinion of him, he's always let us down throughout his time at the club, and quite often been one of the worst players, so there does not seem to be a slot for him.

Strength in depth is better i suppose, but we must not care if he's be frustrated at not getting in

:stirrer:

blackpoolhibs
11-02-2013, 04:00 PM

I'm not really sure that one worked? :wink:

Speedway
11-02-2013, 04:05 PM
I'm not really sure that one worked? :wink:

Did for me, saved me loads of typing about Stevenson. That guy will not be the solution for any starting position at Hibs as long as any of us have got holes in our erchies.

Too average for too long and the absence of obvious incompetence this season is not the same as being a good player in my book.

Definitely a trier, definitely gives his all but simply not good enough for a team that has aspirations of completing passes to each other that travel more than 8 yards.

Golden Bear
11-02-2013, 04:09 PM
Did for me, saved me loads of typing about Stevenson. That guy will not be the solution for any starting position at Hibs as long as any of us have got holes in our erchies.

Too average for too long and the absence of obvious incompetence this season is not the same as being a good player in my book.

Definitely a trier, definitely gives his all but simply not good enough for a team that has aspirations of completing passes to each other that travel more than 8 yards.

Aye, but do we?

:offski:

blackpoolhibs
11-02-2013, 04:10 PM

Fair enough, thats your opinion. I just see a player who has improved this season, and last to be fair, and playing with better players may have helped him and me change my opinion?

I look at him when he's played, and see someone who's been better than quite a few who have shared the same pitch, but as i said i cant find a place in the side for him, even though i do think he deserves a spot.

Stantons Angel
11-02-2013, 04:14 PM

your posts are defo a wynd up aint they?

This kind of statement on the night of a big game is sure to instill confidence in him for God's sake leave him alone. As Blackpool Hibs and others have said he gives his all in any position he is asked to play in. I just wish we had more like him.

As for completing passes, you obviously werent watching certain others last games?

There you got the reaction you wanted..... Go on Lewis show them how its done!

Speedway
11-02-2013, 04:15 PM
Fair enough, thats your opinion. I just see a player who has improved this season, and last to be fair, and playing with better players may have helped him and me change my opinion?

I look at him when he's played, and see someone who's been better than quite a few who have shared the same pitch, but as i said i cant find a place in the side for him, even though i do think he deserves a spot.

That therefore would make him an automatic choice for nowhere would it not?

Don't give him the comfort of a starting place, he'll just allow any progression that might have been made to atrophy. Keep him on the bench so when he fills in, he tries harder. The Alan Maybury of our left hand side.

SMAXXA
11-02-2013, 04:18 PM

I actually think to a man he has performed aswell as anyone this season when he has played. His problem is that he has not had that 5-10 run of matches to see if he can take it to the next level and be more consistant.

Liams
11-02-2013, 04:24 PM
LS carried our team last season, played for the badge and has improved this season, every time he gets his chance he takes it and never lets us down with a half hearted performance... FACT.

Its hard to figer out where he should play inthe team but thats only a goodthing as he will train harder to get his start..

HibernianJK
11-02-2013, 04:31 PM
it's clear to me that his best position ever since he's been at hibs is left back. although he gives 100% when in midfield he does not seem to have the passing ability to play there. i wonder when mcgivern leaves in the summer whether pat sees him as a potential long term solution to our LB quandary

SMAXXA
11-02-2013, 04:35 PM
it's clear to me that his best position ever since he's been at hibs is left back. although he gives 100% when in midfield he does not seem to have the passing ability to play there. i wonder when mcgivern leaves in the summer whether pat sees him as a potential long term solution to our LB quandary

Dont you mean if?

Speedway
11-02-2013, 04:35 PM
I actually think to a man he has performed aswell as anyone this season when he has played. His problem is that he has not had that 5-10 run of matches to see if he can take it to the next level and be more consistant.

As well as Williams, Claros or Griffiths?

jdships
11-02-2013, 04:36 PM

I take it you are having a LAFF ?.
I appreciate that is your opinion but wonder if you have an axe to grind re LS ?
The lad gives this club 100% + every time he pullls a green and white shirt on

:bye::blah:

Stantons Angel
11-02-2013, 05:00 PM
That therefore would make him an automatic choice for nowhere would it not?

Don't give him the comfort of a starting place, he'll just allow any progression that might have been made to atrophy. Keep him on the bench so when he fills in, he tries harder. The Alan Maybury of our left hand side.

This is indeed a wynd up!

How can you compare Lewis with Maybury? Its like comparing you as a Hibs supporter as being a Jambo.

What bigger insult can there be?

bingo70
11-02-2013, 05:02 PM
Speeders is going to get stick on this thread but he's right imo, when Stevenson doesn't play we don't miss him and if he doesn't play tonight I'm not sure what aspect of his game we'll miss?

That said I thought he had a really good second half against Aberdeen so if he plays tonight he'll have deserved it and hopefully he'll drive forward with the ball like he did last week, I've got my doubts though, I think if he does play he'll probably run about loads looking really busy without being effective anywhere.

Hope I'm wrong though.

bingo70
11-02-2013, 05:05 PM

How can you compare Lewis with Maybury? Its like comparing you as a Hibs supporter as being a Jambo.

Your post is really going to install confidence in Maybury tonight eh? On the night of a big game as well!!!

flash
11-02-2013, 05:11 PM

Good grief

jacomo
11-02-2013, 05:13 PM
Lewis is a recurring theme on here these days.

:wink:

I appreciate what he's done for Hibs and am glad he's around, but he has limitations at left back and for whatever reason him and Claros as a midfield pairing just doesn't work. I can't remember him making any impression at left midfield either.

hibeemikey21
11-02-2013, 05:15 PM

Haha, only hibs.net!

A positive thread about a good, committed servant is shot to pieces within about 5 posts and manifests itself into a far reaching abuse fest, from which no player is safe within about 20!! All within an hour of kick off of an important game!

I love this place, I really do!

lord bunberry
11-02-2013, 05:17 PM

I'm of the same opinion. Ls is a left back and any other season other than this he would be starting but with mcgivern playing there he is always going to be on the bench. He is decent cover in midfield but not good enough to warrant a start when everyone is fit

flash

Good grief

hibsbollah
Lewis thread alert :hilarious

HibeeN
11-02-2013, 05:31 PM
Lewis and Maybury are both capable, committed players who never fail to give all their effort when they are picked to play. If one or both of them are selected tonight, be it on merit or because of injuries, they will have my full support, and the support, I would hope, of most people in attendance.

lyonhibs
11-02-2013, 05:46 PM

Good heavens! Is this the same Alan Maybury that bailed us out, twice, against Aberdeen in the cup game??

As for the OP, if Lewis' place in the starting line-up was a stick-on and a deserved certainty, then there wouldn't be any humming and hawing about his position.

A decent player, but never one I've been able to confidently go "Lewis Stevenson, he is a <insert playing position here>" about. If anything, a victim of his own versatility.

littleplum
11-02-2013, 05:57 PM
A decent player, but never one I've been able to confidently go "Lewis Stevenson, he is a <insert playing position here>" about. If anything, a victim of his own versatility.

Exactly the sort of quandary that the term 'utility player' was invented for :)

hibs4thecup1988
11-02-2013, 05:57 PM
I am stunned people still give lewis stick. Fair enough upto last season he lived on the VIS cup game. This season in my view he has technically been our bestoutfield player this season

Speedway
11-02-2013, 06:30 PM
your posts are defo a wynd up aint they?

This kind of statement on the night of a big game is sure to instill confidence in him for God's sake leave him alone. As Blackpool Hibs and others have said he gives his all in any position he is asked to play in. I just wish we had more like him.

As for completing passes, you obviously werent watching certain others last games?

There you got the reaction you wanted..... Go on Lewis show them how its done!

If we had more like him, tonight would be a first division fixture.

LS carried our team last season, played for the badge and has improved this season, every time he gets his chance he takes it and never lets us down with a half hearted performance... FACT.

Its hard to figer out where he should play inthe team but thats only a goodthing as he will train harder to get his start..

Nobody carried our team last season.

I take it you are having a LAFF ?.
I appreciate that is your opinion but wonder if you have an axe to grind re LS ?
The lad gives this club 100% + every time he pullls a green and white shirt on

:bye::blah:

I'd also give 100% (can't be plus, 100% is the maximum) every time I pulled a green and white shirt on. I also wouldn't be good enough.

Comparing a Hibs also ran to a full international perhaps?

sesoim
11-02-2013, 08:35 PM

He is a 2nd choice LB at best. He does next to nothing in midfield. And on the wing - aren't wingers meant to be able to run fast, dribble, cross and shoot (or at least some of those things)? All he does is make short easy passes all the time.

And Hibs lose a lot more games than they win when Stevenson plays - just look at the last six years with him in the team. His presence in the team is representative of how bad Hibs have been since Mowbray left.

blackpoolhibs
11-02-2013, 08:44 PM
He is a 2nd choice LB at best. He does next to nothing in midfield. And on the wing - aren't wingers meant to be able to run fast, dribble, cross and shoot (or at least some of those things)? All he does is make short easy passes all the time.

And Hibs lose a lot more games than they win when Stevenson plays - just look at the last six years with him in the team. His presence in the team is representative of how bad Hibs have been since Mowbray left.

He gave a poor performance tonight, along with 8 or 9 others. I stand by my original post.

LeighLoyal
11-02-2013, 08:45 PM
:taxi

3pm
11-02-2013, 08:46 PM
Williams and Hanlon only 2 with pass marks. Rest pish. No use singling out Lewis.

My opinion of course.

blackpoolhibs
11-02-2013, 08:51 PM
Williams and Hanlon only 2 with pass marks. Rest pish. No use singling out Lewis.

My opinion of course.

I would blame Williams for the first goal, that was a terrible attempt at a save, and Hanlon was part of one of the worst back 4 performances i have seen in years.

The midfield were an absolute shambles, and i'd give Done the only pass marks tonight.

Beefster
11-02-2013, 08:51 PM

My opinion of course.

What did Hanlon do?

3pm
11-02-2013, 08:54 PM
What did Hanlon do?

Some blocks, some interceptions. Not saying he was 7 or 8 but at least remotely carried out his task.

Speedy
11-02-2013, 09:09 PM
He gave a poor performance tonight, along with 8 or 9 others. I stand by my original post.

I agree with sesoim.

Stevenson is a steady left back but not much else. He could just about do a job in the middle but is far from first choice and he offers very little going forward on the wing.

I wouldn't be overly disappointed if he's playing left back for us next year.

Beefster
11-02-2013, 09:12 PM
I agree with sesoim.

Stevenson is a steady left back but not much else. He could just about do a job in the middle but is far from first choice and he offers very little going forward on the wing.

I wouldn't be overly disappointed if he's playing left back for us next year.

If Stevenson is playing left back next season, we haven't improved the first 11 enough.

Speedy
11-02-2013, 09:19 PM
If Stevenson is playing left back next season, we haven't improved the first 11 enough.

Possibly not but he's steady enough.

Jonnyboy
11-02-2013, 09:27 PM
Or maybe not.

Stevenson deserves a game but Deegan is a step or two above. Deegan will be one of the first names on the teamsheet.

And therein lies one of our problems. Ever since Deegan recovered from his broken jaw he's been in the team. Apart from the goal against Aberdeen his contribution has been distinctly average and I wish I had a quid for every time his dallying on the ball has seen him either caught in possession or forced to make a rushed pass.

Jonnyboy
11-02-2013, 09:30 PM

I'm not entirely sure you're being serious Speedy. There's a helluva difference to what you've said in this post to the words you used in your original one. Thinking about it you must be jesting as there is no way on earth Lewis could be accused of consistently letting us down so bravo on almost hooking me :wink:

blackpoolhibs
11-02-2013, 09:30 PM
And therein lies one of our problems. Ever since Deegan recovered from his broken jaw he's been in the team. Apart from the goal against Aberdeen his contribution has been distinctly average and I wish I had a quid for every time his dallying on the ball has seen him either caught in possession or forced to make a rushed pass.

He also keeps giving the ball to one of our players when he's virtually marked and nowhere to go. :rolleyes:

easty
11-02-2013, 10:17 PM

I dont know if that's true, but I believe it. A lot of people would have you believe that it'd be because of the players around LS not "putting in as much effort as wee Lewis puts in, he puts in a million % every game you know", those people are wrong. He seems like a nice guy, and I wish him all the best in his career, but I want a better standard of player for Hibs.

HFC 0-7
11-02-2013, 11:15 PM
I dont know if that's true, but I believe it. A lot of people would have you believe that it'd be because of the players around LS not "putting in as much effort as wee Lewis puts in, he puts in a million % every game you know", those people are wrong. He seems like a nice guy, and I wish him all the best in his career, but I want a better standard of player for Hibs.

I would wish for a better standard of player than Stevenson too, but I am not sure why we keep coming up with him being the first to go, he has been one our best players this season so in my opinion I would keep him, and keep playing him until he is the player that is playing the worst, then empty him. Surely we should debating on all the players that are not performing on whether they should go or not.

Diclonius
12-02-2013, 12:44 AM
Stevenson performed more capably than Maybury at right back this evening.

If Clancy is still out for St Mirren then I would actually feel more comfortable if we played Lewis there.

HibernianJK
12-02-2013, 01:25 AM
baffled by some people saying stevenson has been one of our best players this season. sparky, cairney, claros, clancy, mcgivern, williams, deegan and probably hanlon and doyle have been way ahead of him this season. making excuses for him when there is none

Bukta#8
12-02-2013, 05:45 AM
baffled by some people saying stevenson has been one of our best players this season. sparky, cairney, claros, clancy, mcgivern, williams, deegan and probably hanlon and doyle have been way ahead of him this season. making excuses for him when there is none

I must be watching a different Doyle to you

Judas Iscariot
12-02-2013, 07:57 AM
Pish at LB, pish at LM, pish at CM..

When's his run out in goal, centre half and up front?!

StevieC
12-02-2013, 08:07 AM
Stevenson performed more capably than Maybury at right back this evening.

We were two goals down before we even got started because Maybury allowed Vine time and space to pick his spot. And what about the 1v1 at the end of the first half where the St Johnstone player even fell over and still managed to get back up and continue his run without a challenge coming in!

Maybury should not play again if you want my opinion.

My biggest gripe with Stevenson, after he was put at right back, was that he didn't get on the ball often enough and didn't even try to push up until it was far too late. He had acres of space in that second half and should have been screaming for the ball.

mmmmhibby
12-02-2013, 08:14 AM

i agree 100%, lewis has been a good wee servant to our club, however i think hes been at ER far too long without showing too much promise. Ironically, i think lewis would propsper at another club, possibly a falkirk, dumfermline. He has been drained of confidence playing for hibs and has showed nothing in the past few seasons. Fans have opinions and at this moment i think lewis epitomises our club(going nowhere). sad really.

mmmmhibby
12-02-2013, 08:15 AM
Doyle = Worst CF in SPL. Period!!!!!

Brooster
12-02-2013, 08:18 AM
Let's face it...Stevenson hasn't got what it takes and should never be anywhere near our starting 11. Very little technique, needs too many touches, can't pass, can't header, gets out jumped and out muscled, slow runner, overweight and uncreative.

mmmmhibby
12-02-2013, 08:32 AM
Let's face it...Stevenson hasn't got what it takes and should never be anywhere near our starting 11. Very little technique, needs too many touches, can't pass, can't header, gets out jumped and out muscled, slow runner, overweight and uncreative.

Cant argue with any of that. Thats LS in a nutshell.

The Sea-gull
12-02-2013, 08:45 AM

Doyle has scored 8 goals this season. If you look at all of the other team's "second strikers" this compares reasonably well.

Aberdeen - Vernon = 5
Celtic - Samaras = 9
Dundee - Milne = 3
Dundee United - Daly = 12
Hearts - Patterson = 4*
ICT - Shinnie = 13
Killie - Heffernan = 7*
Motherwell - Murphy = 11*
Ross Co - Vigurs = 7
St Johnstone - Vine = 6
St Mirren - McLean = 6

*concession has to be given for player being injured or having left in January.

Judas Iscariot
12-02-2013, 08:53 AM

Spot on

HibernianJK
12-02-2013, 11:29 AM
I must be watching a different Doyle to you

yes recently he has been woeful but first 15 games he was brilliant.

blackpoolhibs
12-02-2013, 11:41 AM
yes recently he has been woeful but first 15 games he was brilliant.

This post sums this place up now, no he wasn't brilliant just as we are not as bad as some are making out?

TheFamous1875
12-02-2013, 12:20 PM
Why is it we lose and suddenly Lewis encapsulates all the long standing problems our club have continually suffered from for all these years? He was no better and no worse than anyone else (apart from the fact that he was massively played out of position) yet over most of his teammates, he has consistently performed well this season, and always given 100%. So I really think it's unwarranted that he gets singled out for abuse. He's the type of player our team needs. He's reliable, consistent, tough, hardly ever wastes possession, can pass, make a run, and has a great attitude. He's no star, but he doesn't have to be. He's exactly what any club needs and we should be grateful we've got a boy like him at our club. We shouldnae be abusing any of our players, especially not one of our most consistent.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

hibs4thecup1988
12-02-2013, 12:39 PM
Why is it we lose and suddenly Lewis encapsulates all the long standing problems our club have continually suffered from for all these years? He was no better and no worse than anyone else (apart from the fact that he was massively played out of position) yet over most of his teammates, he has consistently performed well this season, and always given 100%. So I really think it's unwarranted that he gets singled out for abuse. He's the type of player our team needs. He's reliable, consistent, tough, hardly ever wastes possession, can pass, make a run, and has a great attitude. He's no star, but he doesn't have to be. He's exactly what any club needs and we should be grateful we've got a boy like him at our club. We shouldnae be abusing any of our players, especially not one of our most consistent.

:top marks

HibernianJK
12-02-2013, 12:42 PM
This post sums this place up now, no he wasn't brilliant just as we are not as bad as some are making out?

he was looking quick, going last men, winning headers, scoring goals and looking sharp. to say stevenson has been better this season is absurd

blackpoolhibs
12-02-2013, 12:44 PM
he was looking quick, going last men, winning headers, scoring goals and looking sharp. to say stevenson has been better this season is absurd

This whole post makes no sense whatsoever? :confused:

Zazu62
12-02-2013, 01:02 PM
What does he offer the team? If I'm being honest here I think he should be punted time to move on , has he ever scored a goal or made a goal from midfield?

Purple & Green
12-02-2013, 09:03 PM

Jarkko Wiss had outstanding win rates compared to other players but was universally slated by most hibs fans so I don't think it tells the whole story.

I'll do some stats on that tho'

lyonhibs
13-02-2013, 08:33 AM

http://i1012.photobucket.com/albums/af244/FiercelyNormal/WTF.gif

How long have you been watching the SPL?? A month??

silverhibee
13-02-2013, 02:05 PM

A bit like John Rankin then.

jdships
13-02-2013, 07:42 PM

:top marks:agree:

hibee_girl
13-02-2013, 09:25 PM

Jonnyboy
13-02-2013, 09:28 PM

He's an easy target for those who decided long ago he wasd pish and don't have the good grace to admit that maybe they were being hard on the laddie

Prof. Shaggy
14-02-2013, 12:20 AM

Hibs lose a lot more games than they win.

NOLA
14-02-2013, 10:07 AM
Hibs lose a lot more games than they win.
And your thoughts on lewis?

J-C
14-02-2013, 10:36 AM
I don't get it with some people, this past few weeks we've all been saying Stevenson has played particularly well and deserves a new deal, suddenly when the whole team apart from Williams have a complete stinker of a game, it's all Stevenson's fault again, people need to get a grip on reality here. Me personally I like wee Lewis, he gives 100% and isn't too shabby a player at that, Fenlon needs to start playing players in their correct position to get the best out of this team, Lewis is not a winger, he is a defensive central midfielder and an occasional left back.

Jones28
14-02-2013, 10:52 AM

Classic Hibs fan response. Lets look at it differently. Lewis Stevenson is a product of our youth academy who, along with Paul Hanlon, has been in the Hibs squad for the past 5 years. In that time he has won a trophy and was motm in said game. He has been kept by Collins, mixu, Hughes, calderwood and now fenlon. Under Collins Hibs were still a good team, we had some great players and Stevenson still pushed his way into the team. Stevenson is a left back or defensive midfielder. He is not being asked to shoot, cross or go on mazy runs (something which actually does, more so than our other midfielders). He was the only bright spark in a horrific season last season and deserved the credit he got.

Beefster
14-02-2013, 10:54 AM
I don't get it with some people, this past few weeks we've all been saying Stevenson has played particularly well and deserves a new deal, suddenly when the whole team apart from Williams have a complete stinker of a game, it's all Stevenson's fault again, people need to get a grip on reality here. Me personally I like wee Louis, he gives 100% and isn't too shabby a player at that, Fenlon needs to start playing players in their correct position to get the best out of this team, Louis is not a winger, he is a defensive central midfielder and an occasional left back.

A fair number of folk have been saying he would suffice as a squad member so wouldn't object to another year or two. I haven't noticed too many saying that he's been playing 'particularly well'.

Macaroon
14-02-2013, 11:05 AM
What does he offer the team? If I'm being honest here I think he should be punted time to move on , has he ever scored a goal or made a goal from midfield?

How about the fantastic cross field ball to Wotherspoon who in turn set up Griffiths' equaliser against Hearts.

Shrekko
14-02-2013, 12:06 PM
Lewis has played well this year and improved but I still can't decide whether I'd like him to start every week or if it's just that he deserves to! Don't know if that makes sense or not!

These threads never resolve anything ....although I'm pretty sure Stantons Angel is his mum. Whether his Dad is Jonnyboy or JDShips, I'm still none the wiser after all this time...

LeighLoyal
14-02-2013, 12:09 PM
A Sevco pre contract/move would be quite welcome in his case.

basehibby
14-02-2013, 12:31 PM
Lewis has generally performed very well when coming on this season - showing similar tidiness and determination to that which won him POY last season. However, for me he shows a shocking lack of confidence going forward for a professional footballer. It's frustrating as he will often pass backwards when a forward move is on and often appears to bottle it when in sight of goal - miskicking or making the wrong decision when he has otherwise been playing well. If Lewis could address this aspect of his game then he would be a real asset IMO. At the moment though, he's still on the fringes of the squad and as such his future at Hibs must be in doubt.

J-C
14-02-2013, 02:57 PM
Lewis has generally performed very well when coming on this season - showing similar tidiness and determination to that which won him POY last season. However, for me he shows a shocking lack of confidence going forward for a professional footballer. It's frustrating as he will often pass backwards when a forward move is on and often appears to bottle it when in sight of goal - miskicking or making the wrong decision when he has otherwise been playing well. If Lewis could address this aspect of his game then he would be a real asset IMO. At the moment though, he's still on the fringes of the squad and as such his future at Hibs must be in doubt.

He's never been an attacking mid, but there also needs to be movement around him so he can pass forward, having Deegan/Claros and Taiwo in the squad doesn't help as they too are all defensive minded, hopefully when Robertson gets upto speed, he'll provide the movement needed to play the forward pass.

Stevenson will never be a world beater but in the SPL he's a good squad playing similar to Rankin at Dundee U.

Jonnyboy
14-02-2013, 09:26 PM
Lewis has played well this year and improved but I still can't decide whether I'd like him to start every week or if it's just that he deserves to! Don't know if that makes sense or not!

These threads never resolve anything ....although I'm pretty sure Stantons Angel is his mum. Whether his Dad is Jonnyboy or JDShips, I'm still none the wiser after all this time...

Wrong on both counts :wink:

Jonnyboy
14-02-2013, 09:27 PM
He's never been an attacking mid, but there also needs to be movement around him so he can pass forward, having Deegan/Claros and Taiwo in the squad doesn't help as they too are all defensive minded, hopefully when Robertson gets upto speed, he'll provide the movement needed to play the forward pass.

Stevenson will never be a world beater but in the SPL he's a good squad playing similar to Rankin at Dundee U.

He's the bees knees dontcha know? Rarely passes the ball forward, caught in possession far too often and has the pace of Nade but he's hailed by some as our best midfielder :wink:

TheFamous1875
14-02-2013, 09:41 PM
What do people think of Claros and Stevenson both at DM? In a 4321 with Cairney up behind Sparky? I can't recall those two ever being a pair in midfield at all this season, maybe it would be a good fit? They are maybe our 2 best midfielders, but I don't know if that means they would work together well.

blackpoolhibs
14-02-2013, 09:44 PM
He's the bees knees dontcha know? Rarely passes the ball forward, caught in possession far too often and has the pace of Nade but he's hailed by some as our best midfielder :wink:

I agree 100% John, take away his goal against the Dons and he's been bloody awful since returning from injury. He needs to improve very quickly, or his erse should be out the team, he's no Jarko Wiss. :wink:

blackpoolhibs
14-02-2013, 09:46 PM
What do people think of Claros and Stevenson both at DM? In a 4321 with Cairney up behind Sparky? I can't recall those two ever being a pair in midfield at all this season, maybe it would be a good fit? They are maybe our 2 best midfielders, but I don't know if that means they would work together well.

Taiwo and Claros were doing a fine job, but Taiwo seems to have fallen out of favour for some reason? :confused:

Beefster
14-02-2013, 09:50 PM
Taiwo and Claros were doing a fine job, but Taiwo seems to have fallen out of favour for some reason? :confused:

He was at Ocean Terminal seeing a rom com tonight. With that sort of attitude, it's no wonder he's fallen out of favour. Imagine giving Die Hard a miss.

PS yes, I was at the same movie but Mrs Beefster's a ****ing bully.

blackpoolhibs
14-02-2013, 09:51 PM
He was at Ocean Terminal seeing a rom com tonight. With that sort of attitude, it's no wonder he's fallen out of favour. Imagine giving Die Hard a miss.

:faf:

J-C
14-02-2013, 09:59 PM

I agree 100% John, take away his goal against the Dons and he's been bloody awful since returning from injury. He needs to improve very quickly, or his erse should be out the team, he's no Jarko Wiss. :wink:

Must admit not a huge fan of Deegan, a very poor man's Barry " the crab " Ferguson, was looked as the hard tackling midfielder we needed to stiffen us up, but just appears to be another run of the mill very average midfielder.

hibsbollah
14-02-2013, 10:18 PM

Its a disgrace he wasnt at Wreck it Ralph. Classic family fun, nice bit of retro, its a film every Hibs midfielder worth his salt should be watching :grr:

Shrekko
15-02-2013, 12:07 PM
Wrong on both counts :wink:

Grandad? :greengrin

JimBHibees
15-02-2013, 02:02 PM
Must admit not a huge fan of Deegan, a very poor man's Barry " the crab " Ferguson, was looked as the hard tackling midfielder we needed to stiffen us up, but just appears to be another run of the mill very average midfielder.

Actually thought Deegan has looked sharper in his last couple of games. Thought he was good in the cup tie, not so much on Monday as with all however he should IMO never have been taken off.

Jonnyboy
15-02-2013, 07:44 PM
Grandad? :greengrin

Who, me or Stanton's Angel? :greengrin

Baldy Foghorn
16-02-2013, 07:56 PM
Lewis was outstanding Today, Mr Versatile, and gives it his everything......One of the players I have such respect for, just gets on with it, no matter where he plays.....

Stantons Angel
17-02-2013, 10:53 PM

Your right this kind of "lewis bashing" thread will always bring out different opinions from us all and they dont resolve anything either.

But this certainly made me laugh......" although I'm pretty sure Stantons Angel is his mum. Whether his Dad is Jonnyboy or JDShips" and still am!

My own grandson is just a wee bit younger than lewis's wee lad and twice as beautiful with it.

This thread has i think run its course and is getting a bit boring, can you not go on to knocking another player and leave lewis alone.....!!

hibs4thecup1988
17-02-2013, 11:01 PM
Your right this kind of "lewis bashing" thread will always bring out different opinions from us all and they dont resolve anything either.

But this certainly made me laugh......" although I'm pretty sure Stantons Angel is his mum. Whether his Dad is Jonnyboy or JDShips" and still am!

My own grandson is just a wee bit younger than lewis's wee lad and twice as beautiful with it.

This thread has i think run its course and is getting a bit boring, can you not go on to knocking another player and leave lewis alone.....!!

It is pretty sad that the Lewis bashers prob were not there yesterday. He had a great game but they won't see that because they only believe that it was a rubbish game.

Time to move on. Lewis has more than proved his worth!

blackpoolhibs
17-02-2013, 11:03 PM
There have been worse players than Stevenson this season and last, although when we lose he seems to be the one who gets a thread all to himself the most? :confused:

Jones28
17-02-2013, 11:28 PM
Lewis bashers go home - nothing to see here. A vesatile youngster brought through our academy and starring in almost every match he plays.

Give it a rest

jdships
18-02-2013, 06:55 AM

Is it wrong then to pass an OPINION on a players good points ?
Then just because you don't agree with it you make silly remarks
Remember ' sarcasm is the lowest form of wit '
Can' t wait to see who next player is you are going to criticise :rolleyes:

:bye:

M6hibee
18-02-2013, 06:59 AM
There have been worse players than Stevenson this season and last, although when we lose he seems to be the one who gets a thread all to himself the most? :confused:

Every club seems to have one. A player who gets blamed for all the ills of the world. Stevenson seems to fit the bill for us. No idea why. Ok, he's a limited player but he has been steady and does his job and is reliable. Never hides. I like the fella and he seems to be committed to hibs. Worse players than Lewis in our side IMO

Golden Bear
18-02-2013, 07:54 AM
Lewis bashers go home - nothing to see here. A vesatile youngster brought through our academy and starring in almost every match he plays.

Give it a rest

The Stevenson threads are a variation of the Maybury threads. It must be mandatory to have a regular player slagging thread on Hibs net.

:rolleyes:

Dashing Bob S
18-02-2013, 08:01 AM
A decent enough player, always gives his all. Occasionally inspired, generally workmanlike. Seems to polarize the support. I'm utterly mystified at both the vitriol and the adulation he seems to attract.

Shrekko
18-02-2013, 09:45 AM
[/B][/U][/I]

Is it wrong then to pass an OPINION on a players good points ?
Then just because you don't agree with it you make silly remarks
Remember ' sarcasm is the lowest form of wit '
Can' t wait to see who next player is you are going to criticise :rolleyes:

:bye:

You never fail to amaze me.

Whenever you disagree with an opinion you use the old 'wannabe manager' line to whoever you are disagreeing with and you think thats not sarcasm? And by the way-EVERYONE is entitled to an opinion, not just you.

I've given Stevenson pretty much 100 percent praise recently so you're barking up the wrong tree accusing me of criticising him. He's had it in the past when he's played poorly but that's the way it should be- criticism/praise when it's due, not just because you happen to like/dislike someone. I'm sure a few folk take umbrage at you continually slagging of McPake but it's up to you.

The joke about who is mum/dad/grandad is was just that- a joke, in reference to the very paternal/maternal way a few post regarding Lewis.

EdinMike
18-02-2013, 10:03 AM
I liked a bit in one of the papers yesterday when Fenlon was asked about Lewis and playing right back he said something along the lines of:

"I could ask Lewis to play in Goals and he'd just go and do it."

Pat seems to rate his attitude and commitment, and I think he's one of these players who gives 110%. He has his haters, but I'm not one

jdships
18-02-2013, 02:06 PM
You never fail to amaze me.

Whenever you disagree with an opinion you use the old 'wannabe manager' line to whoever you are disagreeing with and you think thats not sarcasm? And by the way-EVERYONE is entitled to an opinion, not just you.

I've given Stevenson pretty much 100 percent praise recently so you're barking up the wrong tree accusing me of criticising him. He's had it in the past when he's played poorly but that's the way it should be- criticism/praise when it's due, not just because you happen to like/dislike someone. I'm sure a few folk take umbrage at you continually slagging of McPake but it's up to you.

The joke about who is mum/dad/grandad is was just that- a joke, in reference to the very paternal/maternal way a few post regarding Lewis.

Where have I used the ' old wanabee manger line ' on this thread ?
You once posted ' its a fans forum where folk give opinions. What's so hard about that?...'
Why not just practice what you preach

Anyway as one or two have said the thread has probably gone on too long :wink:

Look forward to who your next 'victim' will be :greengrin

Danderhall Hibs
18-02-2013, 02:21 PM

Although you were kidding you touched a nerve mate - he is actually Lewis' granddad!

jdships
18-02-2013, 02:38 PM
Although you were kidding you touched a nerve mate - he is actually Lewis' granddad!

Now your talking - showing respect for my true age , thankyou :greengrin
If Shrekko looks after himself he too might manage to live past 80 and enjoy as full a life as I have ( football included )

:party::rockin::tee hee:

Mango Man
18-02-2013, 05:50 PM
I would be quite happy for wee Lewis to be with us for a good few years yet, he's an honest hard working pro who never gives less than 100%, need more people like that at the club.

He hates an interview though eh?! he comes across as really nervous and awkward, he does his talking on the pitch I suppose.

:flag:

The_Horde
18-02-2013, 08:10 PM
Wee Lewis is the hibs Darren Fletcher! I've criticised him in the past but I genuinely believe the guy is awesome, top pro who always gives his all for the hibs. He has a cracking left foot and I wish he would have more faith in it/his attacking abilities.

Aldo
18-02-2013, 08:15 PM
;3509762"]Wee Lewis is the hibs Darren Fletcher! I've criticised him in the past but I genuinely believe the guy is awesome, top pro who always gives his all for the hibs. He has a cracking left foot and I wish he would have more faith in it/his attacking abilities.

This. Spot on Dude. For me he is the model pro. Deserves the credit.

MotherSuperior
18-02-2013, 09:48 PM
He'll be due a testimonial the season after next.

It'll be 10 years since he made his debut!!