PDA

View Full Version : The SPL: Eight point gap between 2nd and 2nd last

AllyF
11-02-2013, 11:26 AM
I've just looked properly at the SPL league table for the first time in ages. Two things hit me:

1. By next Saturday evening we could swap 4th place for 10th place with Hearts.

2. There is just 8 points between 2nd place and 2nd last.

I can't decide whether the close competition is a positive thing, whether it means our league is a disaster or whether it just means that every SPL team (bar Celtic) is equally as terrible as each other.

Discuss.

Andy74
11-02-2013, 11:30 AM
Is it possible, with teams playing each other, for so many to pass us?

Anyhow, we are ahead of those teams having played quite a few games now so we should keep looking up.

IWasThere2016
11-02-2013, 11:40 AM
I've just looked properly at the SPL league table for the first time in ages. Two things hit me:

1. By Saturday evening we could swap 4th place for 10th place with Hearts.

I can't decide whether the close competition is a positive thing, whether it means our league is a disaster or whether it just means that every SPL team (bar Celtic) is equally as terrible as each other.

Discuss.

Just think how exciting it'll be when the league splits into 8s!! :wink:

Stewboy
11-02-2013, 11:40 AM
How can we go 10th by Saturday?

Sorry if obvious

brydekirk
11-02-2013, 11:42 AM
By Saturday evening, we could also be sitting clear in 2nd place.

AllyF
11-02-2013, 11:45 AM
By Saturday evening, we could also be sitting clear in 2nd place.

Make that the 3rd point :wink:

Malthibby
11-02-2013, 12:09 PM
Other results have conspired to keep us near the top, and a wee run could catapult us into second. Tonight's a biggie because we need to start that run or 10th place is a-calling.
See you all there.
GG

The Sea-gull
11-02-2013, 12:33 PM
All games are good games to win but tonight's would be that wee bit more handy as we are three behind ICT and Motherwell so if we win we go level on points with them both and into a three team joint second scenario.

Granted we will have played two more games than either of these teams but the psychological boost this would give us coupled with the "where did they come from" thoughts Well and ICT may have could do us the world of good. Points in the bag are better than points to play for.

Plus, three points tonight opens up a 4 pont gap on Saints, Dundee United, Aberdeen and 5 on Ross County and Killie. Plus a 7 pointer on the Yams! Most of these teams have at least one game in hand on us but there is nothing we can do about that. About time we started winning games so that if any team does go on a run we are in a position to keep pace with them.

Teo10
11-02-2013, 01:03 PM
Thus on paper making the SPL the best league in the world... easy.

basehibby
11-02-2013, 01:24 PM

1. By next Saturday evening we could swap 4th place for 10th place with Hearts.

Discuss.

Why be so needlessly despondent?!?

Hibs ARE in 4th place - Hearts ARE in 10th place - in both cases the table tells no lies.

Also point 1. as well as being pathetically defeatist is also hopelessly inaccurate - even if Hertz win their game on saturday and Hibs lose tonight AND on saturday (surely an unlikely prospect even to the most miserable pessimist) Hibs will STILL be a point ahead of the maroon balloons!

2. 8 points between 2nd and 2nd last is surely the saving grace of a league in which 1st and last look all but tied up - any team between 2nd and 11th could still get into Europe meaning lots to fight for for most teams in the league.

Hibs have just strengthened in January in contrast to many of our opponents - we have everything to play for and are currently sitting in a Euro berth and in a cup quarter final - which makes the defeatist pessimistic attitude of some of our supporters utterly perplexing to me :confused: