PDA

View Full Version : Dull football or harder to beat

hugo boss
10-02-2013, 09:56 AM
Lads i know its a grey area and reading some post on regarding clean sheets being defensively minded and some comments saying "thats not the hibs way" we are harder to beat but surely thats not a bad thing we do have one of the best goalscorers in the league in our team!!! onwards and upwards :flag::flag:

Scouse Hibee
10-02-2013, 10:08 AM
"The Hibs Way" is from bygone days and means nothing.

hugo boss
10-02-2013, 10:10 AM
"The Hibs Way" is from bygone days and means nothing. correct m8

connerg
10-02-2013, 10:15 AM
Lads i know its a grey area and reading some post on regarding clean sheets being defensively minded and some comments saying "thats not the hibs way" we are harder to beat but surely thats not a bad thing we do have one of the best goalscorers in the league in our team!!! onwards and upwards :flag::flag:

Both, but i'll take that over getting bullied and being a soft touch.

ronaldo7
10-02-2013, 10:23 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reJEtjPw5UU

That is all:greengrin

bingo70
10-02-2013, 10:24 AM
"The Hibs Way" is from bygone days and means nothing.

Disagree, imo its something we should always be striving for.

hugo boss
10-02-2013, 10:27 AM
Disagree, imo its something we should always be striving for. ok then dull football and scottish cup in bag or flare football and nothing???

blackpoolhibs
10-02-2013, 10:32 AM
Dull football please, i enjoy this place much more when we have been eye bleedingly ( is that a word ) bad. :wink:

Alex Trager
10-02-2013, 10:33 AM
I think it's good that we're harder to beat however I feel that when we actually play football we are very good. Like the start of the second half against Dundee. That doesn't particularly mean we're not as hard to beat just cause we're playing it in the deck.
It's shocking seeing Hibs lumping the ball, nothing to do with cause it's not our way, it's all about the fact it's launched up the park and comes straight back due to a lack of height and strength In midfield and of course up top.

bingo70
10-02-2013, 10:35 AM
ok then dull football and scottish cup in bag or flare football and nothing???

Why would flare football bring nothing? Flare football when done properly is far harder to defend against than dull football.

To answer your question though of course I'd take the Scottish cup and playing mingin football

hugo boss
10-02-2013, 10:38 AM
Why would flare football bring nothing? Flare football when done properly is far harder to defend against than dull football.

To answer your question though of course I'd take the Scottish cup and playing mingin football i agree mate watched the 2007 league cup final again we were outsanding best performance i have seen of hibs at hampden

Treadstone
10-02-2013, 10:46 AM
ok then dull football and scottish cup in bag or flare football and nothing???

Loaded question , suggesting we have an either/or choice.

Have a look at the top of the leagues in the big five European countries and then tell me the way to go.

Scouse Hibee
10-02-2013, 10:50 AM

Just what is "The Hibs Way"

Reality versus fantasy? The reality of what we can achieve in today's game as opposed to the romantic theories of recreating yesteryear.

blackpoolhibs
10-02-2013, 10:54 AM
Loaded question , suggesting we have an either/or choice.

Have a look at the top of the leagues in the big five European countries and then tell me the way to go.

Should there not be a question mark at the end of your post, is it ignorance or bad grammar?

Treadstone
10-02-2013, 10:57 AM
Should there not be a question mark at the end of your post, is it ignorance or bad grammar?

In your case a bit of both, I was schooled above the six year old level.

I knew that would get on your nerves.:na na:

lord bunberry
10-02-2013, 10:58 AM

Reality versus fantasy? The reality of what we can achieve in today's game as opposed to the romantic theories of recreating yesteryear.

I don't think there is anything wrong with wanting our team to play entertaining football I think that's what most of us want. The reality is though we don't have the right players at the moment but its something we should be striving for

Scouse Hibee
10-02-2013, 11:04 AM
I don't think there is anything wrong with wanting our team to play entertaining football I think that's what most of us want. The reality is though we don't have the right players at the moment but its something we should be striving for

So the answer to my question is that "The Hibs Way" means entertaining football?

blackpoolhibs
10-02-2013, 11:06 AM
In your case a bit of both, I was schooled above the six year old level.

I knew that would get on your nerves.:na na:

Get on my nerves??? :faf:

blindsummit

To answer your question though of course I'd take the Scottish cup and playing mingin football

It's flair people, not flare. A flare is something you fire when in deep trouble and need rescuing.

Wait a minute! Maybe flare is more appropriate for us:greengrin

keep the faith

Spot on.

lord bunberry
10-02-2013, 11:09 AM
So the answer to my question is that "The Hibs Way" means entertaining football?

Its what we would like the hibs way to be

Chibs
10-02-2013, 11:15 AM

The same as the Liverpool way of the seventies and eighties.
Playing football the way it should be played.

Golden Bear
10-02-2013, 11:18 AM

Absolutely correct.

Boring mediocrity is something that I'll never accept.

Hibbyradge
10-02-2013, 11:21 AM
A quick look at recent attendances will point you at the answer.

Stevo1875
10-02-2013, 11:27 AM
the priority for this season was always to stop the goals.

pat had his work cut out keeping the backbone of the team together while the transfer window was open. he did that and added another player who may give us more penetration from midfield. the loanee possibly as well, in the short term. while we have something to play for i cant see pat experimenting with flair-ball. we have a chance at europe and the top 6 and we have that because we are hard to beat.

sad thing is i reckon we'll be in the same situation next season because we will lose players only here on the short term. we really need to reduce the number of loan players and maintain the quality... not easy to do and a big job for pat.

Billychaotic182
10-02-2013, 11:40 AM
We add one good creative player in that team and we will see goals. We are hard to beat and have players who try to win every ball. Something we hae not seen here in a long long time. If we add that one special player who can cross and have some real creative passing ability we are set. Hopeful Done or Robertson can add that to our team. For me though I wish we gave Sammy Stanton a try

matty_f
10-02-2013, 11:46 AM

:agree:

Kaiser1962
10-02-2013, 11:59 AM
I think we all want our team, untimately, to play like the 1970 Brazil team, and theres nothing wrong with wanting that. I paraphrase Jock Stein (or someone of similar standing) who said that you can weave all the pretty patterns you want on a football pitch but if you dont win then no one will come to watch.

IMO we should strive for a happy medium and the starting point is that we stop losing stupid goals.

KeithTheHibby
10-02-2013, 12:10 PM
We haven't played the Hibs way since Mowbray was there. Time before that was about 2001 with Sauzee and Latapy.

The football might not be pretty however how many teams are playing nice attractive stuff and getting results?
2nd place is up for grabs as is the Scottish, I would settle for mediocre performances coupled with good results and silverware any day of the week.

Scouse Hibee
10-02-2013, 12:17 PM
The same as the Liverpool way of the seventies and eighties.
Playing football the way it should be played.

:confused: Sorry I haven't really got a clue what that means.

The Liverpool of the 70's and 80's were a very successful team and I enjoyed experiencing that success and domination, however they have no chance what so ever of replicating those past successes in the current game which is my point.

marinello59
10-02-2013, 12:21 PM

Exactly.

Scouse Hibee
10-02-2013, 12:23 PM

Good point, at least if we were to get to the cup final playing dull football there would be plenty of tickets available :wink:

kentao
10-02-2013, 12:23 PM
I dont mind us playing a hard to beat style but we could also play abit football aswell. Pointless punts upto sparky gets on my nerves. Keep it simple and pass the ball into feet. Get the ball out wide and whip a ball into the box.

The start of the season was good to watch but recently its hard to get excited about.

GGTTH

gegs70
10-02-2013, 12:34 PM
Im sorry I cant watch dull football anymore. The previous post is correct dull football at an over inflated price does not sell, we need some excitement in the team just not sure the current team has any of that!!

Hibercelona
10-02-2013, 12:42 PM
Any team can be "harder to beat" by throwing every man behind the ball.

Having full confidence in your back 4 while being able to commit players forward should be what we're aiming for.

Chibs
10-02-2013, 01:59 PM
:confused: Sorry I haven't really got a clue what that means.

The Liverpool of the 70's and 80's were a very successful team and I enjoyed experiencing that success and domination, however they have no chance what so ever of replicating those past successes in the current game which is my point.
It means keeping the ball on the deck and passing the ball to your own teammate.
fairly simple really. What it is not is hoofing the ball up the park in the hope we will get a lucky break and a chance at goal otherwise known as yam football.
You may be correct and I may never see another team like the Turnball Tornadoes but that was the team I watched as a boy and that is where the the bar is set .If you were lucky enough to see that team playing
then you will know what the Hibs way means.
GGTTH

RIP
10-02-2013, 03:45 PM

Should your thread title not be?

Harder to beat = dull football?

If it was a destination - none of us would be happy. But it's not. It's simply the first step of a journey. Only question is. Wil were there any of us who jump off before we get there?

blackpoolhibs
10-02-2013, 03:55 PM
Should your thread title not be?

Harder to beat = dull football?

If it was a destination - none of us would be happy. But it's not. It's simply the first step of a journey. Only question is. Wil were there any of us who jump off before we get there?

:agree: Sheite or brilliant, for some Hibs are not allowed to be anywhere in the middle? :rolleyes:

MWHIBBIES
10-02-2013, 03:57 PM
Yogis team attacked a lot and they were still murder.

Hibby 2005
10-02-2013, 04:28 PM
:agree: Sheite or brilliant, for some Hibs are not allowed to be anywhere in the middle? :rolleyes:

We haven't been brilliant for a long time and the football lately has been hard going to watch but if this what we have to accept before the better times come along then so be it.

I certainly don't blame people for staying away in the meantime as we go through yet another transitional period.

Andy74
10-02-2013, 04:32 PM

Is it much different from the days of Sauzee?

blackpoolhibs
10-02-2013, 04:55 PM
We haven't been brilliant for a long time and the football lately has been hard going to watch but if this what we have to accept before the better times come along then so be it.

I certainly don't blame people for staying away in the meantime as we go through yet another transitional period.

And we are certainly not sheite either, and i don't blame those who have stayed away, although they are hardly helping, and some of them seem to be the ones making the most noise?

jeffers
10-02-2013, 05:15 PM
I don't believe dull has to mean negative, but unfortunately we've been both recently. I'm delighted we beat Aberdeen in the cup, but I'm sorry three defensive midfiellders, two slow wide men hoofing a ball up to an iosolated striker doesn't do it for me. At times we have played some good attractive football this season but have been far too negative recently as evidenced by the number of goals we have scored. I'm hopeful the recent signings will mean a change in approach by Paddy starting tomorrow.

Scouse Hibee
10-02-2013, 07:35 PM
It means keeping the ball on the deck and passing the ball to your own teammate.
fairly simple really. What it is not is hoofing the ball up the park in the hope we will get a lucky break and a chance at goal otherwise known as yam football.
You may be correct and I may never see another team like the Turnball Tornadoes but that was the team I watched as a boy and that is where the the bar is set .If you were lucky enough to see that team playing
then you will know what the Hibs way means.
GGTTH

Move on mate or you'll never be happy.

gegs70
10-02-2013, 09:32 PM
I think we just dont have the right mix of players. Maybe once craig is with us an d we can sort out the issues up front!! sometimes we just cant do the simple things like passing that frustrates me oh and ww often look too static is that more to do with the coaching ??????

Chibs
10-02-2013, 10:35 PM
Move on mate or you'll never be happy.
Fair enough but I will be happy when the yams die.

hibsmad
11-02-2013, 11:39 AM
Currently we are playing dull football and are also harder to beat.

Where we go from here is now crucial for me as to how successful Fenlon will ultimately be at Hibs. He needs to now start adding some "flair" players to the side, and I believe over the next season or two that we will see the real team that Pat is trying to build.

In my opinion it is not enough to build a side that will ultimately play dull football, but will also prove to be the "best of the rest" in Scotland. The reason for this is that I don't think that the fans will return for dull football even if we are finishing second or third in the league. At the end of the day that would mean playing dull football, with poor atmosphere, while scraping our fair amount of 1-0/2-1 wins.

Is that really enough for Hibs fans? Genuine question as I would be happy to know if this would be enough for most people.

HibeeN
11-02-2013, 12:10 PM
The reason for this is that I don't think that the fans will return for dull football even if we are finishing second or third in the league. At the end of the day that would mean playing dull football, with poor atmosphere, while scraping our fair amount of 1-0/2-1 wins.

Is that really enough for Hibs fans? Genuine question as I would be happy to know if this would be enough for most people.

It's an interesting question, and one I've been thinking about a lot recently. I suppose it depends on why people go to games. There are some fans (and neutrals will fall into this category) who are less bothered about the result and like to watch football for its aesthetic value - ideally an end-to-end game with fast-paced, creative, attacking football. Then you have the other extreme where fans will happily sit through 90 minutes of scrappy, slow, turgid play as long as their team manage to scrape a win. I'd imagine most sets of fans are somewhere in the middle, perhaps leaning a bit more towards the results side of the scale.

It's a fine balance. I first started going to Hibs games regularly under Mowbray, and those few seasons were probably the most I've enjoyed being at Easter Road. But flair football isn't enough on its own. I can sit and watch a Barca game and enjoy their football, but I'll never get the same enjoyment out of it as watching Hibs, because there isn't the same emotional investment when a goal is scored or they win. On the other hand, I could sit through 90 minutes of mind-numbing, boring football at Easter Road and still come away happy if we scored a last-minute winner. But week-in, week-out, that might not be enough if I'm bored by the football on show for most of the game.

Long story short - can we be greedy and have both? :greengrin

down-the-slope
11-02-2013, 12:24 PM
We haven't played the Hibs way since Mowbray was there. Time before that was about 2001 with Sauzee and Latapy.

The football might not be pretty however how many teams are playing nice attractive stuff and getting results?
2nd place is up for grabs as is the Scottish, I would settle for mediocre performances coupled with good results and silverware any day of the week.

I assume you are talking generally about at Home? - away from home we were regularly appalling to watch and often got humped into the bargain...lots of re-writting of history about this time and other teams of the past

KeithTheHibby
11-02-2013, 12:32 PM
I assume you are talking generally about at Home? - away from home we were regularly appalling to watch and often got humped into the bargain...lots of re-writting of history about this time and other teams of the past

Generally yes however I do remember us dishing out humpings to both Dundee teams. We didn't finish 3rd that season based on our home form alone.
Some of the football we played that year was a joy to watch and seen us dominate teams especially at ER.

Treadstone
11-02-2013, 12:40 PM
It's a fine balance. I first started going to Hibs games regularly under Mowbray, and those few seasons were probably the most I've enjoyed being at Easter Road. But flair football isn't enough on its own. I can sit and watch a Barca game and enjoy their football, but I'll never get the same enjoyment out of it as watching Hibs, because there isn't the same emotional investment when a goal is scored or they win. On the other hand, I could sit through 90 minutes of mind-numbing, boring football at Easter Road and still come away happy if we scored a last-minute winner. But week-in, week-out, that might not be enough if I'm bored by the football on show for most of the game.

I was 16 in 1986 and already a regular, when I started going more frequently to away games as well. This coincided with the start of the Alex Miller reign. Hibs were awful, but they were my team and I didn't know any better. Miller had champions in the press (McNee) which was good for him as they made him out to be some sort of master tactician, which he wasn't and never was. The football was brutal, not in the physical sense, rather the predictable defensive strategy and negative attitude.

Going to watch Hibs was almost like a chore. When Mowbray came along what an absolute joy it was to go and watch a team with the shackles taken off. The quality and youth may undoubtedly have helped him pursue that but I am sure that he would have done that regardless of the staff at his disposal.

Mowbray never won anything except plaudits people will say, but how different it may have been if the denouement of the financial doping had been ten years earlier than it is now. What I am trying to say that if it was Alex Miller at the helm tonight and me being a bit older, I wouldn't be going.

hibsmad
11-02-2013, 12:59 PM
It's an interesting question, and one I've been thinking about a lot recently. I suppose it depends on why people go to games. There are some fans (and neutrals will fall into this category) who are less bothered about the result and like to watch football for its aesthetic value - ideally an end-to-end game with fast-paced, creative, attacking football. Then you have the other extreme where fans will happily sit through 90 minutes of scrappy, slow, turgid play as long as their team manage to scrape a win. I'd imagine most sets of fans are somewhere in the middle, perhaps leaning a bit more towards the results side of the scale.

It's a fine balance. I first started going to Hibs games regularly under Mowbary, and those few seasons were probably the most I've enjoyed being at Easter Road. But flair football isn't enough on its own. I can sit and watch a Barca game and enjoy their football, but I'll never get the same enjoyment out of it as watching Hibs, because there isn't the same emotional investment when a goal is scored or they win. On the other hand, I could sit through 90 minutes of mind-numbing, boring football at Easter Road and still come away happy if we scored a last-minute winner. But week-in, week-out, that might not be enough if I'm bored by the football on show for most of the game.

I think that most regular attenders would rather win more by playing uglier, than be less successful while playing attractive football.

My point though is that to attract people to ER then the club need to be playing attractive football (while obviously having some success). Take these two examples.

1. We finish the season fourth or fifth while playing some really good entertaining football (wingers/attacking midfielders, etc)

2. We finish the season third while playing the type of football we have been watching this season.

In each of these examples, on the whole, fans would be happy and consider it a successful season. However I believe that we would have more walk up supporters, while the next season we would sell more season tickets following example 1. Attracting more fans is the only way for us to grow our club which I believe is why it is so important to play entertaining football.

Just to reiterate for anyone who didn't read my previous post, I am in no way knocking the football we are playing this season as I think Pat will now try to add more flair players to the side. I am just talking in general about what I believe is the only way forward for the club.

Keith_M
11-02-2013, 03:07 PM
No one, including Pat Fenlon, wants us to continue playing the kind of football we have been for the last two/three months. If I thought that was going to be the new 'Hibs Way' for the foreseeable future, I think I would consider just chucking it. With the signings made in January and the pre-contract signing, it's obvious Fenlon is trying to address that, which is good enough for me.

hihohibby
11-02-2013, 09:30 PM
Definitely just "DULL FOOTBALL". Tonight was an overwhelming demonstration of this. Ask St. Johnstone if Hibs were hard to beat. I'm sure we all know the answer

H!BEE
12-02-2013, 04:03 AM
we should be attacking teams, it has nothing to do with "flair", just get out there & have a go...........you cant win football matches if you dont attack.

defending is for the last 5 mins not the first 85!

#ggtth

Pete
12-02-2013, 05:02 AM
The new "Hibs way" for me means every player giving 100% for the jersey. A team of hungry, organised and committed professionals.

The old "Hibs way" will only come when we have this base as a constant and it's added to by skillful youngsters and seasoned professionals. Right now we can't afford that and don't have the youngsters coming through.

I'm sure that this is some sort of horrible transitional period on the way to the desired goal. Well I hope so.

I honestly think a result like this has been coming as we've been rather lucky recently and I hope this is the wake-up call that brings a change in some players attitudes. Heads up, no hiding and have a bit of confidence in yourselves. The annoying thing is that we can play when we want and were pretty good early on in the season.

Some really tough games coming up and we can't afford to collapse.

hibeesjoe
12-02-2013, 05:36 AM
I don't really care if its flair or boring football, I just want to see winning football. Playing gash and winning 1-0 would do me. Getting humped 3-1 in your own stadium is terrible.

We could have easily been comfortable in 2nd place and pulling away from the rest if we didn't bottle it so much. Flashes of brilliance like griffiths's goal shows what's possible, shame it doesn't happen very often.

matty_f
12-02-2013, 06:35 AM
The switch to 442 last night was a disaster. I'd take the hard to beat football from previous weeks over that pish any day of the week.

Big90inOz
12-02-2013, 07:46 AM
Where does the "hard to beat" argument come from? We are murder at the back and so slow going forward other teams must love playing us.
In the first 5 mins last night I thought we had maybe turned a corner, there was some movement and a couple of players tried to get forward. We then retreated into our shell as usual this season.

We are a poor poor side going forward and offer very very little, must be great being a defender for the other side with only having to keep an eye on one or maybe two players at the most. We are negative irregardless of who or where we are playing.

We were thumped last night by a team who were happy to get behind the ball and let us play our silly little square and backward passes till we run out of room and then it's route one straight back to the other team.

Bostonhibby
12-02-2013, 07:59 AM

Can safely say last night killed this one off :wink: Dull football and easy to beat.

Keith_M
12-02-2013, 10:00 AM
Just to clarify, the 'hard to beat' part ONLY applies to teams south of the Forth.

Hope that clears things up :wink:

NorthNorfolkHFC
12-02-2013, 10:11 AM
I don't really care if its flair or boring football, I just want to see winning football. Playing gash and winning 1-0 would do me. Getting humped 3-1 in your own stadium is terrible.

We could have easily been comfortable in 2nd place and pulling away from the rest if we didn't bottle it so much. Flashes of brilliance like griffiths's goal shows what's possible, shame it doesn't happen very often.

Griffiths goal was quite opportunist, but it just cemented our lack of cohesion. It wasn't created via a build up, ie midfield play making space. It was just our usual, an opportunist long ball not dealt with by their defence and griffiths took his opportunity. Come to think of it, that's how we score quite a lot of our goals.

Griffiths was shocking all night last night and people may say it was "lack of service" but he does not have a clue about playing up front, working with another striker or running channels. He is just a hell of a striker of the ball. His behaviour last night when things weren't going his way was embarrassing. Am sick of his clapping of the fans. Concentrate on the game.

gegs70
12-02-2013, 02:50 PM
I think hibs do Griffiths no favours, lavk of service from midfld ,high balls into box, Doyle helped very little in actual fact I didnt know he was playing!!! Its the same as last season Oconnors goals kept us up last season....not many goals coming from other areas of team!!!

gegs70
12-02-2013, 02:51 PM
***forgot to add a decent striker to play with Griffighs other thsn kuqi would hve been a helpful addition!