PDA

View Full Version : NHC Bill Leckie

GlenrothesHibee
10-02-2013, 02:20 AM
What are your opinions on our journalists? Might get shot down in flames here but ive always had a lot of time for Bill Leckie and enjoyed his columns in the Sun. Very honest throught the Rangers saga and find him a good jouro. Best/worst?

Tricla
10-02-2013, 06:14 AM
Keith Jackson is a welt.

ALF TUPPER
10-02-2013, 06:37 AM
Hugh Keevins = 1st degree ar$*
Steeped in Glasgow East End bhoyishness all his life his impartiality is non existent. Is an embarrassment. Time he was binned but wont happen because the Smellies love his Glesgae Sellick banter. Fud.

Glory Glory

KWJ
10-02-2013, 07:12 AM
Leckie used to be my favourite, haven't read the Sun for a long time now though. Don't mind Graeme Speirs really.

Leckie's book isn't a bad read, Pavement to Penthouse or something like that.

Jim44
10-02-2013, 07:28 AM
Worst East Coast - Stuart Bathgate. Worst West Coast - Hugh Keevins. I've not got much time for any of these guys as they're all more or less members of the Scottish Football Mafia.

GoldenEagle
10-02-2013, 08:03 AM
Worst East Coast - Stuart Bathgate. Worst West Coast - Hugh Keevins. I've not got much time for any of these guys as they're all more or less members of the Scottish Football Mafia.

What is this Scottish Football Mafia.
Who are the journalists bias against.

I demand transparency, an independent review led by a QC and I want the the right of appeal if I think that the review is bias.

marinello59
10-02-2013, 08:30 AM
Its simple. The good journalists are the ones who agree with the majority view on here. The bad ones are those who hold an opposing opinion. :greengrin

Serious point, the failure of the press to pick up on the whole sorry mess at Rangers was not down to the sports journalists. It was a failing of the papers to pick up on what was primarily a business story . Quite why anybody would think that a sports journalist had the expertise to unravel what was/is a complex financial saga baffles me. I will take an unpopular view here , Scottish sports journalists are not that bad.

ian cruise
10-02-2013, 08:33 AM
Always enjoyed Leckies stuff (he also has an excellent taste in music). Can't say I have much time for many of the others mentioned so far (Spiers, Keevans) Traynor was by far the worst.

Leith Green
10-02-2013, 08:43 AM
Have to be honest, always thought leckie was a bit of a helmet, world cup 2006 summed him up for me when he wore the england top , i thought a bit of what he was saying was right regarding the scotland v england thing, but he was an erse for taking his opinion to the extreme opposite.. Bit of a twanger in my opinion. Only journos with any credbility for me are graham spiers and up until we sacked yogi i also found gordon waddell unbiased and pretty spot on

shagpile
10-02-2013, 08:50 AM
Have to be honest, always thought leckie was a bit of a helmet, world cup 2006 summed him up for me when he wore the england top , i thought a bit of what he was saying was right regarding the scotland v england thing, but he was an erse for taking his opinion to the extreme opposite.. Bit of a twanger in my opinion. Only journos with any credbility for me are graham spiers and up until we sacked yogi i also found gordon waddell unbiased and pretty spot on

Exactly the kind of reaction he probably expected. & got.

KeithTheHibby
10-02-2013, 08:51 AM
Tom English. Excellent journo.

Matty_Jack04
10-02-2013, 09:18 AM
I don't like any of them the scottish football press are a major part of Scottish footballs problems

lord bunberry
10-02-2013, 09:23 AM
Its simple. The good journalists are the ones who agree with the majority view on here. The bad ones are those who hold an opposing opinion. :greengrin

Serious point, the failure of the press to pick up on the whole sorry mess at Rangers was not down to the sports journalists. It was a failing of the papers to pick up on what was primarily a business story . Quite why anybody would think that a sports journalist had the expertise to unravel what was/is a complex financial saga baffles me. I will take an unpopular view here , Scottish sports journalists are not that bad.

I think your giving the sports journalists a very easy ride there. I'm not a financial expert either but I could see something dodgy was unfolding. The sports journalists completely failed to ask any serious questions of David Murray or anyone else for that matter. They were all to scared to upset the rangers fans or whoever happened to be running rangers at that time. The whole thing was a complete whitewash from the scottish media

GlenrothesHibee
10-02-2013, 09:25 AM
Agree with Tom English. Keevins is by far the worst in my opinion and Jim Traynor was poor. I thought Leckie was a St Mirren fan?

Billy Whizz
10-02-2013, 09:56 AM
What are your opinions on our journalists? Might get shot down in flames here but ive always had a lot of time for Bill Leckie and enjoyed his columns in the Sun. Very honest throught the Rangers saga and find him a good jouro. Best/worst?

I went to secondary school with Bill, or Billy as he was known then. A big St Mirren fan who hated the old firm. Met him at the Ross County v Hibs Scottish cup replay a few years ago. I was sympathising with him before the game, as 9 man Rangers had just beaten St Mirren in the league cup final the week before. He was consoling me at the end if the game after County knocked us out!

Treadstone
10-02-2013, 10:36 AM

If Hibs signed a player for anything over £½m (ahem) the first question (rightfully) would be "Wheres the money came from ?" and "Can this be sustained ?". When Oldco signed Tore Andre Flo for a jaw dropping £12m the questions were "Can you catch Celtic ?" and "Will there be any more ?". I'm not sure what their turnover was for that year but this could easily have been 40% of it.

Lots of the journos like to re-write history for themselves (Spiers for one) . The truth is they were mostly all shambolic and happy to toe the editorial line and why not ? it had served them well for over a hundred years.

blackpoolhibs
10-02-2013, 11:02 AM
I think your giving the sports journalists a very easy ride there. I'm not a financial expert either but I could see something dodgy was unfolding. The sports journalists completely failed to ask any serious questions of David Murray or anyone else for that matter. They were all to scared to upset the rangers fans or whoever happened to be running rangers at that time. The whole thing was a complete whitewash from the scottish media

Sports Journalists have for years lay on their backs and had their belly's rubbed. Who can blame them, they are after all sports journo's not legal ones and would get no stories if they didnt?

And its obvious the ones with leanings towards the old firm would stick up for them, they were feeding and clothing them.

Now obviously those difficult questions that needed answered should have been asked, and every newspaper or TV company have investigative reporters who are experts in this type of thing, and like the BBC over the Jimmy Saville case, the blame goes much higher than the grass root reporter, but for reasons only they know they seem frightened to ask the questions?

lord bunberry
10-02-2013, 11:34 AM
Sports Journalists have for years lay on their backs and had their belly's rubbed. Who can blame them, they are after all sports journo's not legal ones and would get no stories if they didnt?

And its obvious the ones with leanings towards the old firm would stick up for them, they were feeding and clothing them.

Now obviously those difficult questions that needed answered should have been asked, and every newspaper or TV company have investigative reporters who are experts in this type of thing, and like the BBC over the Jimmy Saville case, the blame goes much higher than the grass root reporter, but for reasons only they know they seem frightened to ask the questions?

It wasn't just that they didn't ask the awkward questions though it was the fact that for the most part they led the case for the defence of rangers actions. I know turkeys don't vote for Christmas but they are supposed to be impartial and professional

NORTHERNHIBBY
10-02-2013, 11:40 AM
Good comments on the radio from Graham Spiers last night about the lack of sophistication coming from Ibrox just now in terms of PR and media stuff. Surely someone with a back-bone has to do a piece on James Traynor and ask how he can justify such a u-turn in his opinions on what has happened with the The Rangers?

McIntosh
10-02-2013, 11:52 AM
Hugh McIlvanney by a country mile.

Paisley Hibby
10-02-2013, 12:23 PM
Hugh McIlvanney by a country mile.

Spot on mate!

As for Bill Leckie - he writes for The Sun so is hardly in a position to produce any decent journalism.

blackpoolhibs
10-02-2013, 12:34 PM
It wasn't just that they didn't ask the awkward questions though it was the fact that for the most part they led the case for the defence of rangers actions. I know turkeys don't vote for Christmas but they are supposed to be impartial and professional

Yip i agree with that, and that was led by them being drip fed all the news over the years from ibrox. They let them have little bits of news :wink: and left them in no doubt that would dry up if they did not help? They were so up rangers erse, they believed anything that came their way, even when it looked dodgy?

I'd imagine it was a case for those sports reporters of believing the gravy train that had looked after them for so long, or go against and get nothing in the future?

I think its a bit daft to suggest they are supposed to be impartial and professional now, when we knew all along and even before that was not the case?

We all knew they were not asking any of the questions that needed to be asked, as i said earlier it needed someone from out with Scotland to dig, and how sad is it when it hardly took much digging for him to open that can of worms?

Scouse Hibee
10-02-2013, 12:42 PM
John Gibson is the best of the lot, spends his life dining at other peoples expense and writing about it :agree:

lord bunberry
10-02-2013, 12:49 PM
Yip i agree with that, and that was led by them being drip fed all the news over the years from ibrox. They let them have little bits of news :wink: and left them in no doubt that would dry up if they did not help? They were so up rangers erse, they believed anything that came their way, even when it looked dodgy?

I'd imagine it was a case for those sports reporters of believing the gravy train that had looked after them for so long, or go against and get nothing in the future?

I think its a bit daft to suggest they are supposed to be impartial and professional now, when we knew all along and even before that was not the case?

We all knew they were not asking any of the questions that needed to be asked, as i said earlier it needed someone from out with Scotland to dig, and how sad is it when it hardly took much digging for him to open that can of worms?

Its because we have such a biased media that I hardly bother to read the papers anymore. I buy a morning paper and it just sits theremost days without me reading it. The only reason I buy it is that the Mrs likes reading it when I come home she also likes the evening news which is possibly the worst newspaper in the world. I suppose its why I spend so much time on here these days

IFONLY
10-02-2013, 02:36 PM

Never thought I would read a paragraph containing these words.

Teuchter Hibbie
10-02-2013, 02:55 PM
Tom English is the best imo. Traynor was horrendous, and has only gotten worse since taking up his new role.

Paisley Hibby
10-02-2013, 03:35 PM
Never thought I would read a paragraph containing these words.

Like it :greengrin

Jonnyboy
10-02-2013, 06:28 PM
None of them can hold a candle to the late Stewart Brown

jgl07
11-02-2013, 01:47 PM
John Gibson is the best of the lot, spends his life dining at other peoples expense and writing about it :agree:

He used to cover speedway for the Edinburgh Evening News. The nearest he ever got to the stadium was a pub in Powerhall. He would speak to reporters after the match to write his report, allegedly!

GlenrothesHibee
11-02-2013, 02:01 PM
Good article on referees in todays Sun