PDA

View Full Version : New stamps

Lucius Apuleius
09-02-2013, 05:54 AM
Controversial 11?

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/world-of-sport/home-nations-football-heroes-own-stamps-134754854.html

IWasThere2016
09-02-2013, 06:38 AM
Not half GT - some strange ones in, and some strange ones missing. Nice tho!

SouthMoroccoStu
09-02-2013, 06:42 AM
Great idea and well presented.

Would not have included Barnes

No Dalglish?!? Obliviously ran over their Scot quota

And never heard of the Welsh representative (better with Rush or Giggs - IMHO)

Other than that lot, this is brilliant

Nice to see the Bestie boy representing the Hibs

IWasThere2016
09-02-2013, 06:52 AM
That's what struck me - Barnes?!? He was poor for Engerland.

King Kenny is a glaring omission.

Defo gonna get some Bestie's to keep :agree:

Lucius Apuleius
09-02-2013, 06:55 AM
I would not have Barnes near it to be honest. I do think as some of the comments said that it was a token black player. One thing I always think of when I see Barnes is the international thing. We in Scotland always go on about how we have played players whose granny was Scots just to get someone decent. Barnes was not born in England and had no English grandparents yet played for engerland. Strange eh? Bottom line is he was eligible to play for any of the home nations.

lyonhibs
09-02-2013, 07:14 AM

You've never heard of John Charles??? :doh:

I think Barnes is a token black player - nowt wrong with that as such, but there's absolutely nae chance he's one of the best 11 players to come from these isles. Sir Stanley Matthews, Nat Lofthouse, Billy Wright, Jinky Johnstone etc etc would have been in way before him IMO. And for Kenny Dalglish to be omitted does rather smack of the English FA wanting to avoid an "Over-Jockification" of the VI

SouthMoroccoStu
09-02-2013, 08:51 AM

I think Barnes is a token black player - nowt wrong with that as such, but there's absolutely nae chance he's one of the best 11 players to come from these isles. Sir Stanley Matthews, Nat Lofthouse, Billy Wright, Jinky Johnstone etc etc would have been in way before him IMO. And for Kenny Dalglish to be omitted does rather smack of the English FA wanting to avoid an "Over-Jockification" of the VI

Homer Simpson style or not , I just hadn't heard of him

But having done some reading online, I now understand his inclusion

Everydays a school day!

Jimmy Johnstone only represented 1 club in England (Sheffield utd) and only for 11 games - so this could explain his absence.

Have to agree with your comments on Barnes (pc gone mad - broken britain......etc) and Scotland players.

Like how they didn't name the new Wembley Arch after Slim Jim Baxter - despite the mass voting online by the tartan army. It's a conspiracy I tell you

Keith_M
09-02-2013, 08:53 AM
I thought this part was brilliant..

"Players such as Ryan Giggs, Alan Shearer, Paul Gascogine and, er, Kyle Lafferty were not selected because................"

The writer is obviously yet another anti-Rangers Bigot and I look forward to the The Rangers official website article on this and the resultant boycott of the Yahoo web site

:greengrin

Speedy
09-02-2013, 09:52 AM

Someone pointed out he also retired in the last 15 years which makes it a bit more of a joke.

harpo
09-02-2013, 10:16 AM
Where is the prince of wingers Gordon Smith?

Danderhall Hibs
09-02-2013, 10:37 AM
Some say King Kenny didn't really turn it on for Scotland very often, so I assume that's why Law got the nod ahead of him.

Paisley Hibby
09-02-2013, 01:51 PM

Have to disagree with you on that!

green glory
09-02-2013, 01:57 PM
7 out of 11 are English.

**** them.

Keith_M
09-02-2013, 02:09 PM
7 out of 11 are English.

**** them.

That makes it 64% of the team. 84% of the population of the UK live in England.

Surely that makes them under-represented?

:devil:

Scouse Hibee
09-02-2013, 02:13 PM
An impossible task to pick 11 players across different era's and please everyone. My own personal view is that Kenny Dalglish should have been included. Would have liked to have seen a set of 11 for each of the home nations.

Scouse Hibee
09-02-2013, 02:14 PM
7 out of 11 are English.

**** them.

Nice one

zlatan
09-02-2013, 02:19 PM
Once we get independence it'll be Kevin Kyle and David Hopkins stamps for everyone.

blackpoolhibs
09-02-2013, 02:20 PM
Once we get independence it'll be Kevin Kyle and David Hopkins stamps for everyone.

:greengrin

Time For Heroes
10-02-2013, 06:28 PM
I think the reason Giggs hasn't been included is because he has been licked enough recently ;0)

hibsbollah
10-02-2013, 06:36 PM

Youve never heard of John Charles??? Possibly the greatest ever British player, certainly Juve fans would say so.

heretoday
10-02-2013, 06:50 PM
I don't think much of the defence! Nae fullbacks although Bestie could play anywhere right enough.

Seriously, I find many people forget what a star Denis Law was in the early sixties.

We all did the Law punch-the-air and grasp the cuffs bit. Oh yes we did!

Hibernia&Alba
10-02-2013, 06:58 PM
John Barnes included but no Duncan Edwards? Some excellent nominations, though.