PDA

View Full Version : 'And Barry was of a similar ilk'...

3pm
08-02-2013, 10:45 PM
Alex McLeish commenting on Barry Ferguson's passing ability in comparison to Franck Sauzee.

It's not called 'fantasy' football for nothing.

HIBERNIAN-0762
08-02-2013, 10:50 PM
Hilarious indeed! Ferguson wasn't fit to lick Franck's boots

Cabbage East
08-02-2013, 10:52 PM
Dear god. Even Fergie would admit he wasn't even in the same league as Franck.

lord bunberry
08-02-2013, 10:58 PM
One of the biggest differences (and there are many) was that frank could pass the ball forward

Frazerbob
08-02-2013, 11:03 PM
GJP was been in my boozer for a couple of hours tonight. He said he was going stay for as long as I wanted him to......2 minutes later he buggered off to the bigger pub down the road.

By the way, his nick name should changed to Grey Judus Prick :wink:

3pm
08-02-2013, 11:07 PM
GJP was been in my boozer for a couple of hours tonight. He said he was going stay for as long as I wanted him to......2 minutes later he buggered off to the bigger pub down the road.

By the way, his nick name should changed to Grey Judus Prick :wink:

...or just 'prick' for short.

cleanyman
08-02-2013, 11:07 PM
Barry Ferguson was a terrific player.

Not close to Frank in his prime though.

monktonharp
08-02-2013, 11:21 PM
barry ferguson was a wee fud, in comparison to many that have pulled a Hibs jersey on.

bob12345
09-02-2013, 01:40 AM
McLeish worked with Ferguson at his peak and Sauzee when his peak was a distant memory. So I can only think he's judging players based on SPL impact.

lyonhibs
09-02-2013, 07:16 AM
McLeish worked with Ferguson at his peak and Sauzee when his peak was a distant memory. So I can only think he's judging players based on SPL impact.

And he'd still be talking absolute pish.

bigwheel
09-02-2013, 08:03 AM
Not a popular view, but I thought Ferguson was a really good midfielder ...I do recall though Sauzee , playing in midfield , giving a young Ferguson a real lesson without breaking sweat in a game at ER...Ferguson barely got near him all game...I'm sure it was out first year back in the top division ... Great to watch ...

Beefster
09-02-2013, 08:19 AM
Not a popular view, but I thought Ferguson was a really good midfielder ...I do recall though Sauzee , playing in midfield , giving a young Ferguson a real lesson without breaking sweat in a game at ER...Ferguson barely got near him all game...I'm sure it was out first year back in the top division ... Great to watch ...

Ferguson was a decent midfielder but was frequently outshone in games at ER by Katie and Brown.

bingo70
09-02-2013, 08:19 AM
I think Barry Ferguson was a better player than he was given credit for, the term Barry the crab annoyed me as he was good at what he was there to do and that was to break up play and keep possession of the ball.

That said though he wasn't in the same class as Frank Sauzee and any comparison is ridiculous.

Bostonhibby
09-02-2013, 08:39 AM
Barry "the Patriot" Ferguson, Ian Black without without the additives, nowhere near Sauzee class. No idea why McLeish felt the point was relevant.

Geo_1875
09-02-2013, 09:05 AM
Ferguson was a very good player who could hold a ball. However he was aided by ridiculous refereeing decisions. Franck was so much better and didn't need such help.

adhibs
09-02-2013, 09:16 AM
Always remember him making his comeback at er and geting sent off, after receiving near constant abuse the whole game. Sure we won as well

VickMackie
09-02-2013, 09:18 AM
Ferguson was a decent midfielder but was frequently outshone in games at ER by Katie and Brown.

No chance. The crabs composure, strength on the ball and and ability to keep the ball is the best I've seen from a Scotland centre mid.

When he was played in a more attacking role at rangers he was able to create and score goals but because he was so good at holding and keeping the ball he was usually played deep.

Great midfielder, better than brown and Katie.

Golden Bear
09-02-2013, 09:18 AM
Can you imagine Ferguson starring in a sweeper role?

Sauzee was by far and away the more complete football player and I can only assume that big Eck is trying to ingratiate himself with Der Hun. Maybe he's looking for a job.

Golden Bear
09-02-2013, 09:21 AM
No chance. The crabs composure, strength on the ball and and ability to keep the ball is the best I've seen from a Scotland centre mid.

When he was played in a more attacking role at rangers he was able to create and score goals but because he was so good at holding and keeping the ball he was usually played deep.

While others think that he was a petted wee nyaff.

:greengrin

nonshinyfinish
09-02-2013, 09:55 AM
Lay off the pipe Eck.

NORTHERNHIBBY
09-02-2013, 10:11 AM
Given the fact that the eleven is based on players worked with, I had thought that wee Latapy would have been in that team. Picking Canigga was a joke surely?

Bostonhibby
09-02-2013, 10:55 AM
Given the fact that the eleven is based on players worked with, I had thought that wee Latapy would have been in that team. Picking Canigga was a joke surely?

No that popular with fans of many of the teams he has been punted from / moved on from recently so may as well kiss some the the Hun ass is how I read it, painful to watch.

Beefster
09-02-2013, 01:21 PM

He was a better midfielder but he was frequently outshone in games at ER by Katie and Brown.

Scouse Hibee
09-02-2013, 02:30 PM

:agree: Spot on, fond memories of such games.